Cancel Culture

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That’s a bit nuts. The words “espouses, advocates, or promotes” are doing a lot of heavy lifting there. Wonder what they make of Hemingway?
A bill making the advocating of a boycott of some Israeli products illegal was just ruled illegal by a US court. There are similar bills in most US states, ruled by both parties, including insane loyalty oaths in Texas, which could now all go the same way. It was overruled on free speech grounds.
I wonder if the free speech stuff also applies to bills like this one, since I know that restricting students' speech has been permissible before.

Anyway, I think this underlines why the cancel culture debate has never been about free speech. Firstly, social media callouts, even calls to ban, etc, are free speech, as much as whatever is being called out. Secondly, the big names talking about cancel culture as a threat to free speech have now watched bills in various US states and guidelines in the UK prohibiting colleges from teaching controversial subjects, and seem to be unbothered/supportive of them.

This reminds me of the "physical removal" debate of libertarianism. Taken at face value, libertarianism is based on a non-aggression principle (NAP)- one cannot interfere in any way with another's property*. Leftists and some liberals do not agree, and would organise to stop this conception of society. Hence, libertarians like Hans Herman Hoppe advocate the "physical removal" (murder/forced displacement) of leftists from society, and rule by a monarch who enforces the NAP. Just like cancel culture warriors talking about defending free speech and advocating restrictions on speech, here you get the NAP suspended to allow the NAP to function.

In a covenant concluded among proprietor and community tenants for the purpose of protecting their private property, no such thing as a right to free (unlimited) speech exists, . . . naturally no one is permitted to advocate ideas contrary to the very purpose of the covenant of preserving and protecting private property, such as democracy and communism. There can be no tolerance toward democrats and communists in a libertarian social order. They will have to be physically separated and expelled from society. Likewise, in a covenant founded for the purpose of protecting family and kin, there can be no tolerance toward those habitually promoting lifestyles incompatible with this goal. They – the advocates of alternative, non-family and kin-centered lifestyles such as, for instance, individual hedonism, parasitism, nature-environment worship, homosexuality, or communism – will have to be physically removed from society, too, if one is to maintain a libertarian order.

*the left objections will always be about what defines and legitimates private property

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
article is interesting for how very, very, far definitions of bad words are getting stretched:

nimic

something nice
Scout
article is interesting for how very, very, far definitions of bad words are getting stretched:

It's funny how he references his attempt to win a seat in the Texas State Senate as evidence that his views are mainstream and popular. He got a whopping 3.5% of the vote, behind four other Republicans and one Democrat.

Sweet Square

This is the real american centrism. If someone ran on this ''platform' with a Qanon step mom as VP they would win the biggest landslide in american history.

Also some truly brilliant comments.
Using music, comedy, and mockery to push back against the "snowflakes" may be the only hope left to save our culture before the Marxists completely destroy it.
Send in the Clowns!! Unfortunately, as awesome as this song is, Tom doesn't get nearly as many views as Cardi B does singing about her WAP. So we're still pretty screwed

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The guy is by accident the one true genius of our time

Also he is Canadian.
I think he has a song called “what if I was black” and the comments were hilarious. So many ‘confused’ right wing folk.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is the same Julie Burchill who was forced to apologise, pay damages and agree to refrain from harassing Ash Sarkar after accusing her of supporting paedophilia and Islamic terrorists while liking posts encouraging her to commit suicide.

Now me personally, I would say she was lucky not to be fired at that point. Let alone being given yet more chances to stop being a scumbag before being inconveniently forced to peddle her horseshit elsewhere in support of (if I'm reading her twitter correctly) a book called "Welcome to the Woke Trials".

This being a book she managed to get published despite one publisher dropping her over the aforementioned libel case and another rather unfortunately turning out to be a supporter of a white nationalist group.

I wish she was being silenced as much as she pretends she is.

nickm

This is the same Julie Burchill who was forced to apologise, pay damages and agree to refrain from harassing Ash Sarkar after accusing her of supporting paedophilia and Islamic terrorists while liking posts encouraging her to commit suicide.

Now me personally, I would say she was lucky not to be fired at that point. Let alone being given yet more chances to stop being a scumbag before being inconveniently forced to peddle her horseshit elsewhere in support of (if I'm reading her twitter correctly) a book called "Welcome to the Woke Trials".

This being a book she managed to get published despite one publisher dropping her over the aforementioned libel case and another rather unfortunately turning out to be a supporter of a white nationalist group.

I wish she was being silenced as much as she pretends she is.
She used to be pretty entertaining back in her heyday, slightly mad, you weren't sure whether she believed what she was saying, but she was interesting. Now she's just dull, writing predictable shit for people who just want their preconceptions confirmed. Dunno if it's her talent, mind or bank balance that's gone but it's a shame.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Someone dug up this tweet and it’s gone a bit viral