Cancel Culture

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Honestly, the fact that this Rapinoe controversy has been completely ignored by the media confirms my long-term suspicion that SJWs don’t play by the same rules as everyone else. Because Rapinoe on the “right side” of the debate, her racist tweet will likely be brushed under the carpet.

Mind you, I’m actually not against this. Ollie Robinson should have received the same treatment though. If anything, he should have been afforded more leniency because he was 18 and she was 26.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Honestly, the fact that this Rapinoe controversy has been completely ignored by the media confirms my long-term suspicion that SJWs don’t play by the same rules as everyone else. Because Rapinoe on the “right side” of the debate, her racist tweet will likely be brushed under the carpet.

Mind you, I’m actually not against this. Ollie Robinson should have received the same treatment though. If anything, he should have been afforded more leniency because he was 18 and she was 26.
Is "you look asian with those closed eyes" supposed to be worthy of cancellation and moral outrage?

Conor

Do you know what her tweet is in reference to? Do you have all of the context? I don't see how you can say it's racist without that.

Gehrman

Well Asians are pretty particular with what's said about their eyes.
All my asian friends think cancel culture is a pathetic joke but of course people's milage may vary. I think its a storm in a tea cup tbh.

Wolverine

To be fair though Ollie Robinson had a series of tweets that were essentially a dictionary of edgelord LadBible stuff and even though many were saying what ECB did was harsh.

Also you look at Julie Burchill having a whole page op-ed in the daily mail and many others like Rod Liddle who say the darnedest things I'd say the bar for cancellation is a lot lower for left wing types - e.g. Chrissy Teigen due to the "hypocrisy" charge

Halftrack

Having now actually bothered to look into the Robinson kerfuffle, the two cases are entirely different. Robinson was clearly just being an edgy shit, but the offensive stuff was blatant. Meanwhile, Rapinoe's tweet was directed at a part Asian teammate and entirely devoid of context. It's clumsy and dumb in that it could inadvertently cause offense, but it's very clearly not on the same level as regularly making racist and sexist edgy jokes.

Do I believe that what happened to Robinson was right? No, an apology should have sufficed (I know nothing about him aside from that he's an English cricketer.) Doesn't mean that Rapinoe should get the same reaction, or that her one (1) tweet, the intention or context of which has been lost to time, is exactly the same and should be covered the same way. That's just bad faith false equivalence bullshit peddled by idiots. In trying to show the hypocrisy of the woke virtue-singalling SJWs, you expose yourself as petty and dishonest, or possibly dumb, depending on how much you actually believe what you're typing out.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Do you know what her tweet is in reference to? Do you have all of the context? I don't see how you can say it's racist without that.
I struggle to imagine any context where that tweet isn't a blatantly obvious racist trope. While I'd like to hear the person tagged in the tweets opinion, it's pretty clearly a racist (even if unintentional) tweet.

Conor

I struggle to imagine any context where that tweet isn't a blatantly obvious racist trope. While I'd like to hear the person tagged in the tweets opinion, it's pretty clearly a racist (even if unintentional) tweet.
Is it racist to suggest that someone looks Asian, because their eyes are a certain shape in a photo? I suppose, thinking of equivalent comments for other races, it doesn't sound great, but I find it hard to call these sorts of things outright 'racist'. Are we denying that a lot of Asians have certain defining features, much like any other race? Is the issue because said feature is using to stereotype all Asians, and is commonly used in racist commentary?

Wolverine

Is it racist to suggest that someone looks Asian, because their eyes are a certain shape in a photo? I suppose, thinking of equivalent comments for other races, it doesn't sound great, but I find it hard to call these sorts of things outright 'racist'. Are we denying that a lot of Asians have certain defining features, much like any other race? Is the issue because said feature is using to stereotype all Asians, and is commonly used in racist commentary?
Yup, its not been used as a "defining feature" but in a mocking/derogatory way

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is "you look asian with those closed eyes" supposed to be worthy of cancellation and moral outrage?
Nope, but there are a lot of things that get people cancelled which probably shouldn’t get people cancelled. Where is the logical consistency?

There are different standards of accountability for different people.

Gehrman

Nope, but there are a lot of things that get people cancelled which probably shouldn’t get people cancelled. Where is the logical consistency?

There are different standards of accountability for different people.
In my opinon most of this is coming from a place of power and control rather than from a place of geniune concern.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
It absolutely is. I doubt she was being maliciously racist but it's still racist.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Aren't they trying to cancel Billie Eilish for lesbian baiting and making a racist comment or something like that?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Didn't she say that a teamate, who is half ethnically Chinese, looked asian in a photo? Probably wise to not say anything at all but it doesn't sound overly racist to me.

hobbers

Almost impossible to believe that milf slayer isn't some sort of parody account.

Conor

Didn't she say that a teamate, who is half ethnically Chinese, looked asian in a photo? Probably wise to not say anything at all but it doesn't sound overly racist to me.
This is what I don't know, to me, if it's a comment on a picture or something where someone's expression has literally made them look Asian, I don't really see how it's racist.

OleBoiii

Almost impossible to believe that milf slayer isn't some sort of parody account.
Why? Are milf slayers not credible now?! As a milf appreciator(not graduated to 'slayer' yet) I find this highly offensive.

hobbers

When you’re interacting with twitter accounts like that it’s a sure sign you’re way too immersed in the online culture war. Nothing good will come of that.
Even just the fact that they have 34k posts and the account has only existed since March 2020. Over 3 tweets/retweets an hour for 15 months and yet nothing of value contributed. Always-online culture warriors are terrifying.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
And is this a problem? (When it's not malicious)
It depends on each situation. The person she said it to might have had no issue with it, even if others might have reacted badly to the exact same "joke".

For me, ideally these kinda jokes would never be used and then there would be no issues.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
When done in such a way yes it does feed into long-established racist tropes. It reduces a massively diverse community (with a wider ranger of eye shapes btw) to a single characteristic that has been used in many periods of time to discriminate against Asians.

If Rapinoe had said big lips make her teammate look black or a certain nose shape makes them look Jewish then people can make an easy association.

It's certainly true that it's not intentional and not the most racist or offensive thing that can be found on social media but it does feed into an old racist trope used to discriminate in the past. It's one of those things where I wouldn't call her a racist but advise she refrains from making such problematic comments again.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Even just the fact that they have 34k posts and the account has only existed since March 2020. Over 3 tweets/retweets an hour for 15 months and yet nothing of value contributed. Always-online culture warriors are terrifying.
Definitely. Probably slightly hypocritical considering how much time I spend on here but Twitter seems so amazingly toxic it intuitively seems way more damaging to devote a lot of headspace to.

And if all you ever do on there is back and forth culture war point scoring then it’s got to leave its mark on even the most balanced of individuals to begin with.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When done in such a way yes it does feed into long-established racist tropes. It reduces a massively diverse community (with a wider ranger of eye shapes btw) to a single characteristic that has been used in many periods of time to discriminate against Asians.

If Rapinoe had said big lips make her teammate look black or a certain nose shape makes them look Jewish then people can make an easy association.

It's certainly true that it's not intentional and not the most racist or offensive thing that can be found on social media but it does feed into an old racist trope used to discriminate in the past. It's one of those things where I wouldn't call her a racist but advise she refrains from making such problematic comments again.
What if comedians make a joke about it?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
What if comedians make a joke about it?
It doesn't change that it's still feeding into racist narratives but culturally, the general public usually gives comedians a little more slack than other celebrities. That doesn't mean they should, in my opinion, since "it's just a joke" has its own history of dehumanizing people and excusing it. I mean look at the old minstrel shows. Excusing it as "comedy" doesn't work for me.

decorativeed

I may well be completely wrong, but I'd say that possibly points to it being someone with a mental health issue. As such we should probably view it as a product of that rather than the voice of some kind of movement. If I had a friend who was posting that stuff with that regularity, I'd be a bit concerned for them.

fallengt

All my asian friends think cancel culture is a pathetic joke but of course people's milage may vary. I think its a storm in a tea cup tbh.
Asian has their own cancel culture, unrelated to western politics but they have it.

Gehrman

One week later

wtf do they put into the drinking water in the US.

:lol:
Is she the same psychiatrist who told her class that in her dreams she dreams about murdrering white people and burying their bodies?