Cancel Culture

From Googling to see the other puppets I see there was 'Twitter is outraged' stories last year too, with Kanye and Meghan Markle puppets.

Creator:

Last month, ITV’s director of television Kevin Lygo revealed he attended a meeting to address how Spitting Image could parody black people as puppets in the wake of the Black Lives Matter Movement.

Speaking in a TV diversity session, he said: ‘The producers called me and said we need to have a conversation.
‘We discussed with the writer and the producers about how to portray black people as viciously caricatured puppets.

‘What is ok? What is not ok? Some of the answers are unclear, it is difficult, everybody is trying their best.’

Roger insisted its portrayal of black celebrities is not racist following ITV bosses’ meeting to discuss how to portray black people as puppets.

‘People sit around looking for things to complain about, and I do big noses and big ears. It’s personal – it’s not a racist thing,’ he said.

‘[Personal parody] has more effect on individuals than waxing lyrical about their policies.’
The Greta one is pretty good at least.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Big noses and thick lips everywhere. Shocking racism against Germans.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They over exaggerate certain features. Take a look at Southgate's nose. There's nothing racist about it.
The features they choose to exaggerate fit a particular stereotype, and those exaggerated features are not very applicable to Rashford. Southgate’s features are exaggerated, and ridiculous, but they’re applicable to him as an individual not as a stereotype. Do you think that’s just a minor distinction?

fergies coat

The features they choose to exaggerate fit a particular stereotype, and those exaggerated features are not very applicable to Rashford. Southgate’s features are exaggerated, and ridiculous, but they’re applicable to him as an individual not as a stereotype. Do you think that’s just a minor distinction?
Look at Boris Johnson's lips and nose. Are they that big in real life? No of course there not. Your just looking for something to be offended by.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Look at Boris Johnson's lips and nose. Are they that big in real life? No of course there not. Your just looking for something to be offended by.
You never even asked if I was offended. You just made the assumption. That’s one of the most ridiculous aspects of the cries of “cancel culture”. I didn’t try to cancel it nor did I claim offence. I just made an observation. Their caricature of Rashford is shit. It isn’t good comedy. It’s lazy. That’s all.

RedTiger

Half mast
I don't like the depiction of Rashford because it makes him look like Purple Aki. Being even handed though, it's better than how Frank Bruno was depicted:

fergies coat

You never even asked if I was offended. You just made the assumption. That’s one of the most ridiculous aspects of the cries of “cancel culture”. I didn’t try to cancel it nor did I claim offence. I just made an observation. Their caricature of Rashford is shit. It isn’t good comedy. It’s lazy. That’s all.
Okay so these kinds of thing always over exaggerates facial features. What would you over exaggerate on Macrus Rashford?

Halftrack

It's a shit caricature that looks nothing like him and veers uncomfortably close to racist portrayals of black people.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The biggest surprise here is that Spitting Image is still going. It was kind of funny 30 years ago but humour has moved on a hell of a lot since then.

That’s a rubbish caricature of Rashford because it looks nothing like him. The skin tone is wrong but that can look different depending which photo you look at. The most obvious error is giving him both lips the same size. He’s actually got quite a thin top lip. So it’s definitely a lazy, poorly done caricature. Like they didn’t even look closely at what he looks like before making the puppet. Accusing them of being racist is a stretch though.

Tarrou

The biggest surprise here is that Spitting Image is still going. It was kind of funny 30 years ago but humour has moved on a hell of a lot since then.

That’s a rubbish caricature of Rashford because it looks nothing like him. The skin tone is wrong but that can look different depending which photo you look at. The most obvious error is giving him both lips the same size. He’s actually got quite a thin top lip. So it’s definitely a lazy, poorly done caricature. Like they didn’t even look closely at what he looks like before making the puppet. Accusing them of being racist is a stretch though.
saying it might be racist isn't much of a stretch though, is it?

I mean, if it was your job to draw a cartoon of a black footballer in 2021, you'd think you'd be careful enough with the details to not to give him a fat top lip if he doesn't have one, or make him look darker than most of his photos.. for obvious reasons

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
saying it might be racist isn't much of a stretch though, is it?

I mean, if it was your job to draw a cartoon of a black footballer in 2021, you'd think you'd be careful enough with the details to not to give him a fat top lip if he doesn't have one, or make him look darker than most of his photos.. for obvious reasons
The lack of care is bizarre when you read the article above about how they have to be particularly careful in caricaturing black people. So they do seem to be conscious of the line they’re treading. Hence I’m willing to assume they’re well intentioned.

The nature of caricature means they’re going to come up with grotesque puppets that some people find offensive. The Southgate one looks like straight up antisemitic propaganda.

Brophs

The One and Only
Fair play to Matt Damon for denying a story he willingly told about himself. Cancel that, you little PC slugs.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
:lol: I mean, it's the 21st century. We have all kinds of information at our fingertips. There's no excuse for that kind of ignorance anymore. Has this feckwit ever heard of Eazy-E?
He's using freedom of expression as justification because he's a rapper.
Hard to take a man calling himself 'Dababy' seriously.
Maybe because his brain isn't fully developed yet ..:nervous:

hobbers

Leave him alone you horrible lot. The baby is on one of these mystical journeys of self discovery we keep hearing about, he's finally had an opportunity to learn and grow, to confront his tortured self and wage war with his inner demons.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
dababy getting cancelled left right and center. He finally issued an apology but it might be over for him.

He should be cancelled for the lack of wit that he demonstrated. Even if you put aside the content of his monologue, the rhythm and vocabulary were extremely poor.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
He should be cancelled for the lack of wit that he demonstrated. Even if you put aside the content of his monologue, the rhythm and vocabulary were extremely poor.
Yep. All these so called rappers these days. Dua Lipa was the first to remove herself from the equation. He collaborated with her for "Levitating" I think. Such bad taste.

Classical Mechanic

Apparently, according to Twitter at least, below was his initial response now deleted

Not the sharpest tool in the box.

No doubt Elton will rehabilitate him and duet at some awards like he did with Axl Rose and Eminem.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That’s definitely what he’s doing. I’m struggling to see the homophobia he needs to apologise for though?
That's not why they are cancelling him though. I think he said something like, everyone get your camera out except gay people with aids. Or something charming like that.