Kick-off
Sat, 22 December 2018 @ 5:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 75 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Tiber

3 very decent years where hes had to do an almost impossible job of running an entire flank under failed managers. Yeah hes old now and past his best, but the alternative is Dalot who isnt ready to start regularly, or young who might get the nod (though might have to play left back if Shaw is out anyway)
    If the choice is a well passed his best Valencia, a past his best (and even then he wasn't really good enough) Young or a young player who needs games and experience in Dalot?

Easy choice in my opinion. Especially when we have nothing to lose between now and the end of the season - perfect time for talented young players to get the premier League experience that they need. What exactly is squeezing the last few games out of Young and Valencia going to achieve?

Tiber

Meh. I'm much more interested in seeing what Martial and Rashford have to offer under a fresh manager anyway.

Think we knew Lukaku's limits when he was at Everton.

Edit: Hadn't seen he is out for personal reasons, assumed he is injured. Didn't mean to sound cold

Last edited:

Devil may care

Who knows, he fell out with Jose again recently appartently so how much of him being 'injured' or simply dropped I dunno.
    Ah right, I hadn't heard that, I wondered why he was one of the main ones cited as celebrating Mourinho's sacking, guess that explains it.

Red00012

Meh. I'm much more interested in seeing what Martial and Rashford have to offer under a fresh manager anyway.

Think we knew Lukaku's limits when he was at Everton.
    You think this is a time to criticize Lukaku ? His mother ,father , brother or sister could have passed away.
    Do you “meh” when someone close to you passes?

KennyBurner

Its all positive and nice h
    The positivity around here has been so high, I'm afraid what happens (here) if we come away with anything but a win
    Its all positive and nice however I'm already dying of laughter at the carnage that will arise if The likes of fellaini start. I'll definitely take the whole season off.

Tiber

You think this is a time to criticize Lukaku ? His mother ,father , brother or sister could have passed away.
    Do you “meh” when someone close to you passes?
    Did they? I didn't know that and very oddly, despite lashing out at me you don't seem to know either.

All I know is the tweet says he is out for 2 games. If that is for personal reasons then I'm sorry to hear that.

But from a footballing perceptive? Yea I am a bit meh about him missing games at this point.

haram

I expect Pogba, Rashford and Jesse all to start. Hopefully they are full of confidence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    If the choice is a well passed his best Valencia, a past his best (and even then he wasn't really good enough) Young or a young player who needs games and experience in Dalot?

Easy choice in my opinion. Especially when we have nothing to lose between now and the end of the season - perfect time for talented young players to get the premier League experience that they need. What exactly is squeezing the last few games out of Young and Valencia going to achieve?
    Sometimes the best thing for a young player isnt to simply play every game you know... when the rest of the defence is a shambles and constantly being chopped and changed, keeping a young fullback out there to be targeted constantly isnt great. If the rest of our defen e was somewhat settled, sure. Given that both Valencia and Young played under Sir Alex though, it wouldn't be a shock at all to see them trusted because they know what attitude Ole wants from his players.

And when there is so much being changed in a team, sometimes that experience helps more than youth

Tiber

Sometimes the best thing for a young player isnt to simply play every game you know... when the rest of the defence is a shambles and constantly being chopped and changed, keeping a young fullback out there to be targeted constantly isnt great. If the rest of our defen e was somewhat settled, sure. Given that both Valencia and Young played under Sir Alex though, it wouldn't be a shock at all to see them trusted because they know what attitude Ole wants from his players.

And when there is so much being changed in a team, sometimes that experience helps more than youth
    I take your point about not needing to play all the time, but with the injury etc he has had very little time on the field since signing and I think a run of games now (especially while the pressure is mostly off and there will be a feel good narrative surrounding the new manager) would be a good time for Dalot (and others) to get some experience. Certainly a very different experience than being asked to go out and save the grumpy ones job while the media smell blood.

Then again while we are still theoretically in with a chance of advancing in the Champions league, maybe Ole wants to bed in a fairly settled team with experience, hadn't really considered that...guess I'm a bit cynical when it comes to this squads champions league 'hopes'

Re. Understanding the Fergie era, aside from De Gea do we have anyone left from the Fergie era that isn't either out of form (Jones) or a long way past their prime. I suppose Smalling was just given a new deal so he must count. And did Lingard play much under Fergie?

Last edited:

joedirt87

I take your point about not needing to play all the time, but with the injury etc he has had very little time on the field since signing and I think a run of games now (especially while the pressure is mostly off and there will be a feel good narrative surrounding the new manager) would be a good time for Dalot (and others) to get some experience. Certainly a very different experience than being asked to go out and save the grumpy ones job while the media smell blood.

Then again while we are still theoretically in with a chance of advancing in the Champions league, maybe Ole wants to bed in a fairly settled team with experience, hadn't really considered that...guess I'm a bit cynical when it comes to this squads champions league 'hopes'

Re. Understanding the Fergie era, aside from De Gea do we have anyone left from the Fergie era that isn't either out of form (Jones) or a long way past their prime. I suppose Smalling was just given a new deal so he must count. And did Lingard play much under Fergie?

Didn't Lingard make his first team debut under Moyes in Preseason? and then it wasn't until van Gaal that he made his prem debut IIRC.

Oaencha

The first time I have ever posted a squad prediction line up on this forum so I'll be conservative:

De Gea
    Peirera Matic Fred Shaw
    Herrera
    Pogba Martial
    Rashford Lukaku Sanchez
    Umm... Pereira at RB? Matic and Fred at CB? Martial at CM/AM? Is that honesty your prediction or is there a hint of sarcasm in the post?

Bola

Seems that Lukkaku has gone back to Belgium on compassionate grounds and will miss the next few games. With Greenwood not selected for the u-23s on thurs, does that suggest a call up to the 1st team

Also, I see Garner and Chong were also not selected. Dies anyone know if they are unabaibke for selection due to injury?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
    Erm...I think we'll win.

If Lukaku does not start, we'll definitely win.
    Lukaku simply is not good enough and his poor form seems to be permanent.
    I would love to see what Lukaku can do in a 4-4-2 where he isn't asked to be a target man to hold up play, but rather given the freedom to run in channels along with another strike partner. Personally, I think he could be lethal...

meamth

----------------DDG-----------------
    Dalot-----Bailly----Lindelof---Shaw
    ------Fred----Herrera-----Pogba---
    ---------Rashford----Martial-------
    ----------------Lukaku-------------

Pass and move, pass and move. Form that triangular passing option, press from the front, early crosses from Dalot and Shaw.

Don't hold back your tackles, go for it.

yellowandgreens

------------------de gea---------------
    Dalot---bailey---lindelof--shaw
    ------------------herrera---------------
    -------------fred----pogba-----------
    Lingard-----rashford---martial

Subs: smalling, young, Matic, Pereira, romero, Greenwood, chong

Press high
    Full backs overlap
    Trust youth

el3mel

Feel more optimistic about this game now that Lukaku is missing. We should be able to play some good football on the ground without him. Expecting a comfortable 2-0 win now.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    Also - make Herrera captain for the rest of the season.
    Would give it to Pogba as a big fat FU to the rest of the world and a real chance for him to prove himself once and for all for the rest of the season. To stand up and be counted get the fans 100% behind him.

Failing that, would love to see Alexis get it. We need his commitment on the pitch.

TheForgottenOne

Do not see it on here yet, but just read on a Dutch football site that Lukaku Will be missing Cardiff and Huddersfield as he is granted a 'compassionate leave'.

It says he has been absent for training this week.

That would open the door for Chong and Greenwood I assume, as Sanchez is also unavailable.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær's press conference

Ole is speaking to the media right now. Catch up with the latest updates here.

"No-one has been on the bench more than me."

One great quote from his first press conference when speaking about talking to players who don't start at Cardiff regarding the need to be team players.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Hope Pereira plays himself into the team now.

Litch

I'm interested in the team from Carricks view as I think this will be his pic and not Ole's....

pauldyson1uk

Would give it to Pogba as a big fat FU to the rest of the world and a real chance for him to prove himself once and for all for the rest of the season. To stand up and be counted get the fans 100% behind him.

Failing that, would love to see Alexis get it. We need his commitment on the pitch.
    are you joking ? Pogba has captain , just to make him prove himself , why does he need to be made captain for that, why feed his massive ego ?
    No and a massive NO at that , yes he needs to prove himself but not as captain.
    Personally I want him out of the club and ASAP.

I havent looked forward to a match this much in years.

I'm supposed to be at a wedding but I'll definitely be hiding somewhere streaming it.

Kapardin

I havent looked forward to a match this much in years.

I'm supposed to be at a wedding but I'll definitely be hiding somewhere streaming it.
    Yeah. It's a strange feeling, for the first time in ages I am getting excited about watching us play.

Perfect time in my country too, 11 PM kickoff on Saturday. Going to be glorious.:drool:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    are you joking ? Pogba has captain , just to make him prove himself , why does he need to be made captain for that, why feed his massive ego ?
    No and a massive NO at that , yes he needs to prove himself but not as captain.
    Personally I want him out of the club and ASAP.
    You fed into all the media hype and attention as well, huh? Fair enough. That's your opinion. And no, I'm not joking. He's not the only player at the club who needs to prove himself but he's the only player constantly getting mentioned. Bullshit!

Danillaco

I think the guaranteed starters will be: De Gea, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lingard

Hoping to see: Fred, Pereira, Bailly, Lindelöf, Shaw, Dalot
    I think we may see Mata for Rashford or Lingard, and probably Herrera but that's team I would hope for.

Steerpike

I noticed that Chong wasn't in the U23 squad for yesterday's game against Derby. Was he injured, or is he in line to play a part at Cardiff? It would make a hell of a statement if, in his first game, Ole plumped for 4-4-2 with a couple of genuine wide players.

Dazzmondo

Predicted lineup:

De Gea
    Dalot Bailly Lindelof Shaw
    Fred Pogba
    Lingard Mata Martial
    Rashford

Bench:
    Romero, Smalling, Young, Herrera, Pereira, Chong, Greenwood

Utd 3-1 Cardiff

reddaz71

Can't imagine the absolute meltdown if Utd lose tomorrow....."Ole out" wouldn't be a surprise would it! Hiring Solskjaer is a PR stunt but no excuses for the players now Mourinho has gone!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 31% of 705 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 554 ratings.

Score Predictions