Caretaker discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. I think there would be such a release of pressure and the good will we would get from the press for giving a young coach such a big shot would cause a complete 180 on the negativity surrounding the club.

Our fans are fantastic in certain ways and I 100% think they would be very accepting of potentially finishing outside the top 4 this season if we had a young coach playing attacking football and it was clear that Utd were actively working to re-structure the club to fall in line with the Bayern's of this world.
Yep I agree - this option should be our first choice.

It's what Barca and Madrid would do and what they have done in the past. McKenna knows the club and will be good for the young players especially. Mitchell is from Manchester and has experience he worked at Spurs before he went to RB and has recruited some really good players.

beedoubleyou

I think it's just time to build within and not bring in a manager fighting for his reputation like Mourinho. I've no problem not winning the league for a while, I'd just rather see an identity and direction emerge. I see nothing in this Mourinho team. Last year's league position was a red herring. We were dreadful for the second half of the season and the performance against Seville was unforgivable.

We bring in Zizu, we risk another expensive rebuild on a man who, despite an unbelievable Champions League record, has little experience - none in England - and will have little desire to spend more than three years in Manchester. We'll quickly find ourselves back in this-has-all-happened-before-and-will-happen-again territory.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Give it to me till the end of the season. I would wow them.

Is McKenna/Carrick a good shout?

Foxbatt

Arsene Wenger if he can get Carlos Quiroz as his deputy would be a good team. Arsene gets his teams to play attacking and attractive football and Carlos is very good defensively. Arsene may be willing just to show Arsenal that he is not finished yet.

Micky Targaryen

The players are still playing for the manager, what would be the point? The problem is that we don't have enough quality in key areas, how is sacking Jose and appointing someone else going to change that this side of the window?
It's just these supporters that want Jose out, not the players. That's why all these shite hypothetical threads keep sprouting up.

Micky Targaryen

Do not get a blockbuster manger. Promote from within and develop some talent along with a vision.

I cannot see Zidane being anything other than a continuation of the Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho line of failure.
A top club like us, despite our lack of recent success, deserves top managers. At least a blockbuster manager have a higher chance of handling immense pressure.

I will not be against your suggestion. But how many seasons do you think fans can be patient for? Especially Caftards? :lol:

And the negative media as well. Can see the headline already, "Manchester United No Longer An Attractive Job For Managers, Settles For In-House Coach Instead."

But of course, if McKenna or Carrick or even Giggs, deserves a chance at the helm if they are qualified enough.

Smores

This. I think there would be such a release of pressure and the good will we would get from the press for giving a young coach such a big shot would cause a complete 180 on the negativity surrounding the club.

Our fans are fantastic in certain ways and I 100% think they would be very accepting of potentially finishing outside the top 4 this season if we had a young coach playing attacking football and it was clear that Utd were actively working to re-structure the club to fall in line with the Bayern's of this world.
:lol: this is hillarious, very accepting of finishing out of the top 4? No fecking chance have you seen this place whenever we lose a game

Some of you have convinced yourselves that you're only wanting a manager who finished second sacked because of style of play as you find it more palatable. It's fecking bollocks you're just turning into real Madrid white flag wavers. Let's not pretend our fans are acting in the tradition of the club themselves.

Mainoldo

:lol: this is hillarious, very accepting of finishing out of the top 4? No fecking chance have you seen this place whenever we lose a game

Some of you have convinced yourselves that you're only wanting a manager who finished second sacked because of style of play as you find it more palatable. It's fecking bollocks you're just turning into real Madrid white flag wavers. Let's not pretend our fans are acting in the tradition of the club themselves.
I wish we could wave the white flags. Instead we are throwing him scalves and he thinks he’s doing a good job.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Give it to Peter Bosz. You will be playing kamikaze football and all matches will end either 6-3 or 4-5.

He might also nearly win some prices.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Give it to Peter Bosz. You will be playing kamikaze football and all matches will end either 6-3 or 4-5.

He might also nearly win some prices.
Offtopic but, I would like to see him manage Lyon. I feel that would be a real exciting side with the right manager.

NoPace

I'm only half convinced by Bournemouth and I think Howe has the same defensive issues as a Martinez, but with respect to our current squad, he makes some sense as a hire, in that he plays a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 which suits us more than 3 at the back (we lack good CBs and wingbacks) or trying to shoehorn Martial or Rashford out wide:

#9: Lukaku = Wilson
2nd Striker: Martial/Rashford = King
LW: Sanchez = Fraser
RW: New RW = Brooks/Ibe
Box to box mid: Pogba = Cook/Gosling
Holding mid: Matic = Surman

and then a back 4, hopefully with a new CB and Dalot or a new RB as well:

---------Lukaku--------
-----Martial/Rashford--
Sanchez------------RW
----------Pogba---------
-----------Matic---------
Shaw--------------RB/Dalot
------LCB--Bailly------
--------De Gea--------

with Martial/Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Fred, Herrera, Pereira, Young and Lindelof all seeming like good enough cover who would suit a more pass and move style where we concede a few more but hopefully start scoring 80+ goals a season as is likely required to win the Prem without a truly all-time defence.

And then we'd have to come out of the summer with a defensive leader, a winger and a fullback but that's basically the case no matter who we sign and is a realistic transfer situation.

SER19

The most naive post ive ever seen, giving the British press an ounce of humanity especially surrounding a succesful clubs struggles. It would be two defeats before the unnamed sources are saying the players are laughing at his lack of experience and have nicknamed him kevin McAllister.

It would change literally nothing about the mood in the long run and leave us with a highly inexperienced manager. Post also ignores that we did try to play well monday and barring a few it didnt seem to buy mourinho any leniency

Glad to see any changes he makes from current role

SER19

Thread should be closed as we are not looking for a caretaker. Support the current set up of mourinho carrick and mckenna its early days

Canagel

The Real Madrid white flag wavers don't accept mediocrity. They are a ruthless club that demand the absolute best hence why they have 13 CL titles.
If anything fans have been too patient with this style that shows no sign of bringing us back to the top.

Smores

I wish we could wave the white flags. Instead we are throwing him scalves and he thinks he’s doing a good job.
I'm sure you do, without any shame. Like i said we have fans who themselves are miles apart from the traditions of the club.

Thankfully our match going fans are of more sound mind but you feel free to go ahead and judge them.

AlwaysRed66

Martinez & Wenger for the short term would be both good. Neither are any good defensively, but great going forward, & the football would be exciting. Personally, I do not care how many goals we ship as long as we score more than our opponents, which is appropriate with our defence.

Thinking about it what are Kevin Keegan & Ossie Ardiles up to these days.:)

Mainoldo

I'm sure you do, without any shame. Like i said we have fans who themselves are miles apart from the traditions of the club.

Thankfully our match going fans are of more sound mind but you feel free to go ahead and judge them.
I’m not judging them. They showed class if I was there that I would have fake clapped him too. Doesn’t change the fact it’s time for him to go. He’s the deluded one thinking the majority of us are dumb and fall for his bullshit. Talking about the fans don’t listen to the media etc etc. He’s the same guy that told us fans we have no heritage... go away Jose.

Mainoldo

Martinez & Wenger for the short term would be both good. Neither are any good defensively, but great going forward, & the football would be exciting. Personally, I do not care how many goals we ship as long as we score more than our opponents, which is appropriate with our defence.

Thinking about it what are Kevin Keegan & Ossie Ardiles up to these days.:)
Wenger is passed his sell buy date. Martinez would be good to fill the gap until we get who we require next summer. He can take on the day to day whilst still being in charge of Belgium like Hiddink did.

beedoubleyou

A top club like us, despite our lack of recent success, deserves top managers. At least a blockbuster manager have a higher chance of handling immense pressure.

I will not be against your suggestion. But how many seasons do you think fans can be patient for? Especially Caftards? :lol:

And the negative media as well. Can see the headline already, "Manchester United No Longer An Attractive Job For Managers, Settles For In-House Coach Instead."

But of course, if McKenna or Carrick or even Giggs, deserves a chance at the helm if they are qualified enough.
I wouldn't say we don't deserve them or cannot attract them, I just think the club is struggling with an identity crisis and they need to start dictating the terms now.

Our identity was drawn out by Busby and forged under Ferguson. Our owners and hierarchy are used to leaving it to the man in the big chair as they arrived with Sir Alex in place. That was right then, but we've since spun around in a circle three times under a succession of managers given free reign.

Take it back in house, take some time and workout a long term plan. One where a big manger comes to us for an interview and we ask the questions and they dress to impress.

Fingeredmouse

Martinez? Martinez? This is madness. People are seriously suggesting Martinez? We're through the looking glass here people.

OverratedOpinion

A. This place is not representative of most Utd fans.

B. The feeling of negativity is not just based on losing a game it is down to the fact that we seem totally aimless and are just throwing s*** against the wall blindly hoping. It is not about disliking Mourinho, not for me at least, it is about the fact that he is a short term manager and the hopes of achieving short term success is minimal. As such it is a waste of time to not start moving forward with a new project.

In Rainbows

And yet the club is about attacking football. You can't pick and choose what part of United's tradition makes your choice the right choice.

OverratedOpinion

The most naive post ive ever seen, giving the British press an ounce of humanity especially surrounding a succesful clubs struggles. It would be two defeats before the unnamed sources are saying the players are laughing at his lack of experience and have nicknamed him kevin McAllister.

It would change literally nothing about the mood in the long run and leave us with a highly inexperienced manager. Post also ignores that we did try to play well monday and barring a few it didnt seem to buy mourinho any leniency

Glad to see any changes he makes from current role
Feeling is mutual my friend. The press (somewhat unfairly) despise Mourinho and one of the main criticisms of Utd over the past 4 years has been that we have "abandoned the Utd way" again nonsense to me but that is what has been said over and over again. If you don't believe that the press and the fans are going to give a young British coach more leeway than Jose Mourinho then naive is an extremely fitting word.

I am one of Jose's biggest fans and we played okay for 35 minutes on Monday. We didn't really create any chances but it was a little faster and we pressed the ball. I hope that we stick with that and as the players get used to it we start to win some games using the system.

I will echo what I said again, my issues with Jose do not primarily come down to style of play. It comes down to the fact that we are wasting time, he is a short term manager where we need to be working on a long term project.

Wheato

We can only really judge Mourinho when he has assembled his own squad of players. It is clear that he is not being backed in the market, and many of his first team squad is not his doing. Smalling, Jones, Valencia and Young were all Fergie signings. And none of them were in his starting 11 back then. We need to ship them out and bring in some proper quality. There are mid table sides in the PL with a better back 4 than Manchester United. Let that sink in before you judge Jose.

Smores

And yet the club is about attacking football. You can't pick and choose what part of United's tradition makes your choice the right choice.
That's exactly what 90% of those frothing at the mouth for the managers head are doing though. You've got people wishing we were more like Real Madrid fans above, it's pathetic and none of our esteemed legends and managers want that.

The attacking argument has some legs but this season Brighton aside we've looked every bit as attacking as most years under Fergie so it's fair to see what happens. People seem to think we played like City do now every week but only during peak years was that the case if even then, this is less about our tradition and more jealously of our noisy neighbours. That's understandably a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.