Caretaker discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
What needs to happen if Ed’s not sacked is to split his job in 2, his sole role in that would be the business and commercial side of it and another footballing man would have control of how the money is spent on the team without the interference of this galactco hunting prat

Rake

Woodward is a great businessman, or so it seems. There is no reason to sack him. We just need him to not deal with the football aspect of things.

MuFc_1992

We should take a hard look at what City have done and follow it. It looked ridiculous when they hired viera because he was an Arsenal legend but that was part of their strategy to fill their club with footballing people instead of suits. Then they hired those Barca blokes and they set things in place for Pep. Essentially, It was just a few right people in key positions who were put in charge of making further decisions. I really don't see why We can't just scour Europe for similar people and put them in charge.

Eddy_JukeZ

Woodward is a great businessman, or so it seems. There is no reason to sack him. We just need him to not deal with the football aspect of things.
This is basically the solution.

Remove him from any having any say/power/decision making in football matters at the club.

He can focus on what he's good at(the commercial side of things).

Get in an actual DOF. Establish a clear identity and structure for the football side of things and make decisions based upon that.

Clearly this current model of Woodward plucking the 1st available 'profile' manager has failed spectacularly.

It will now likely be a 6th straight season with no title challenge since SAF retired.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It would depend on when he is sacked tbh. If he is sacked today, then we may look for a full time appointment like Zidane ad all. If it's december, we may look at someone like Wenger for 6 months. If it's 4 games, it'd be McKenna and Carrick doing the job

kundalini

Sir Alex chose Moyes.

Woodward would have got huge criticism on here, had he chosen not to appoint Mourinho.

LVG had a track record of winning titles in various elite leagues across Europe, which was what many supporters desired after clueless Moyes.

My criticism of Woodward is that at the interview stage, or during negotiations, he clearly failed to detail what is expected of a Manchester United team. LVG's dull football should have been a non-starter. LVG should have known from day 1 that it was unacceptable. Similarly, Mourinho's approach in the home game against Sevilla should have been ruled out before he accepted the job.

haram

He should not be involved in ANY footballing matters. Absolute fecking clown.

Regalia

My criticism of Woodward is that at the interview stage, or during negotiations, he clearly failed to detail what is expected of a Manchester United team. LVG's dull football should have been a non-starter. LVG should have known from day 1 that it was unacceptable. Similarly, Mourinho's approach in the home game against Sevilla should have been ruled out before he accepted the job.
Disneyland, apparently. We're getting that with our team of cartoon characters too.

Bojan11

FFS he had Chelsea in 16th when he was sacked!
To be fair Klopp had a disastrous last season with Dortmund. Yet people wanted him here besides a few.

I thought Jose was the perfect man for us at the time. I thought Roman and Perez were the issues at his previous clubs. How wrong was I.

tjb

The problem we have had under woodward is how much he has backed the managers hes brought in. He did not hire Moyes. Van Gaal was generally seen as a good manager at the time, and Mourinho was signed to counter Pep and help rebuild is, which he has done to a degree. We need to have guy that can take transfers off woodward...the negotiations. So he can hire the next manager and dof, but should stay out of football affairs outside of that.

Rake

This is basically the solution.

Remove him from any having any say/power/decision making in football matters at the club.

He can focus on what he's good at(the commercial side of things).

Get in an actual DOF. Establish a clear identity and structure for the football side of things and make decisions based upon that.

Clearly this current model of Woodward plucking the 1st available 'profile' manager has failed spectacularly.

It will now likely be a 6th straight season with no title challenge since SAF retired.
Agreed. The club is making tons of money, which is a good thing. The ability to bring in cash despite, as you pointed out, no title challenge for several years is no small feat.

The big question is who will be in charge of hiring a DoF? I don't think Woodward is capable of doing so. I guess the club should turn to some 3rd party agency for help? Alternatively, we could just try to poach one of the bigger names and hope for the best. Certainly Campos, Berta, Monchi would be the first names that come to mind. Zorc and Rangnick could be interesting options as well.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Can't blame him for Moyes. That's on Fergie.

I think van Gaal was the right appointment at the time. Should've been sacked sooner, though.

José was a horrible choice.

All in all, I'd probably agree. Mainly because he actually thought José would be a good fit here. Thing is, we've let all the best managers go to our rivals. Out of our current options, I wouldn't be too optimistic with any of the available coaches. Unless we could snatch Pochettino, which is as a likely as José and Ed getting along.

Kapardin

Don't get the point of anti-Woodward threads. Like it or not, we are stuck with him, and he isn't going anywhere. So any scenario of club management that doesn't involve him is a pipe dream. Lets focus on what's realistic, ie, how we can potentially succeed despite his occasional goof-ups rather than contemplating on non-existent options of sacking him.

SER19

Woodward shouldn't be in charge of tying his shoelaces

SER19

If Ferguson recommended moyes, woodward still hired him. This is professional sports and if woodward was in charge, he hired him. Full stop.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes. Moyes wasn’t really his decision, let’s be honest. New job, big shoes to fill, big pressure to continue success - of course he’s going to listen to people advising him (football men).

Most of the fans were happy when LvG was appointed and the same with Mourinho. Lots of pointless hindsight going on here.
What about the ones who didn't like the appointment and almost foresaw what happened ? Not so much of pointless hindsight huh ?

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
We should ask Fred the Red to choose our next manager. He's plastic, but I have the impression that he is really passionate for the club. He is always in close contact with people at all the tiers of the club, so he really knows the club inside and out. Who cares that he is the ruler of Hell? He's literally got his head screwed on the right way, and we would be stupid to disregard his opinion.

Crashoutcassius

Knee jerk rubbish. Get a grip.

Or if you are such a genius and understand the likelihood of us going down better than everyone else, put 5k on it in the bookies.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Zidane needs another job before I’d consider him. Plenty of articles on him, Reals league form last year also a major concern with the group of players at his disposal. Bowed out before a rebuild there - we are still in the middle of a rebuild here. To me, he is flavor of the month right now.

We’d need more experience than Zizou IF Jose left, I hope he doesn’t as the club as a whole is a joke - Jose played a part but he isn’t the major issue to me.

ErranMorad

Someone from within would get my vote given that we use the opportunity to implement a new football structure at this club. A new DoF or Technical director needs to be appointed immediately with a clear direction and vision of the club. He needs to start working on the kinks in the squad and identify where new reinforcements are to be made. He'll quite a job sorting out the contract mess that has been created by Eddy and Jose. Then he needs to identify a manager for the summer who fits in with the defined vision. Lot of work to be done. Simply appointing a caretaker without a plan for the future is not going to take United anywhere.

beedoubleyou

Do not get a blockbuster manger. Promote from within and develop some talent along with a vision.

I cannot see Zidane being anything other than a continuation of the Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho line of failure.

Shaun Oldman

Do not get a blockbuster manger. Promote from within and develop some talent along with a vision.

I cannot see Zidane being anything other than a continuation of the Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho line of failure.
Agree, we need somebody with energy, wth vibrance and with a vision.

Experience is great, but we've been there, someone 45 or less, and not "weary".

We could give it to McKenna - he managed the under18s and got them playing good football. I would also hire Paul Mitchell as a DOF.

Acole9

Outstanding
Carrick won't be able to be caretaker, he's not got all his coaching badges I don't think.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This. It felt like his team tonight anyway. Very different set up that had Carricks fingerprints all over it.
Well, we lost against Spurs at OT....something we haven't done in a long long time.
Perhaps you shouldn't use the Spurs game as the example to base your opinion on Carrick.

If we are going to give it Carrick, then I'd rather keep Jose till the end of the season and have someone lined up to takeover in the Summer.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We could give it to McKenna - he managed the under18s and got them playing good football. I would also hire Paul Mitchell as a DOF.
This would be more interesting. A young guy, with new ideas who likes attacking football.
I'd actually like to see this, though he may struggle to handle the players with big personalities.
One of the problems which Moyes had when managing our players, was that our multiple trophy winners would say, "Who the hell are you to tell us how to play. What have you won?"

OverratedOpinion

This. I think there would be such a release of pressure and the good will we would get from the press for giving a young coach such a big shot would cause a complete 180 on the negativity surrounding the club.

Our fans are fantastic in certain ways and I 100% think they would be very accepting of potentially finishing outside the top 4 this season if we had a young coach playing attacking football and it was clear that Utd were actively working to re-structure the club to fall in line with the Bayern's of this world.

This would be more interesting. A young guy, with new ideas who likes attacking football.
I'd actually like to see this, though he may struggle to handle the players with big personalities.
One of the problems which Moyes had when managing our players, was that our multiple trophy winners would say, "Who the hell are you to tell us how to play. What have you won?"
I think if McKenna has a good vision the players will get behind him - Moyes never played good football and didn't have a vision that's why the players didn't believe in him.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Sacking a manager who improved your position and came second last season only 3 games into the new season?

OverratedOpinion

I think a lot of that depends on personality. I think the main problem with Moyes was a lack of self awareness, I've managed teams (not football players obviously) of people who are far more qualified than me and if you are humble it isn't the biggest challenge.

OverratedOpinion

Sacking a manager who improved your position and came second last season only 3 games into the new season?
I don't think we will, I also still think Jose is one of the best managers on the planet (some may disagree with this). I think the problem is that it is clear to see that he is not the right fit and also pretty obvious that even best case scenario he would not be here in 3 years time. Essentially we are just wasting time when there is a large scale restructure that needs to take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.