Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Godot

This is a terrible idea. 60 million and huge wages on a 30 year old Brazilian that's never played a full season of intense PL football.

I'm not disputing his quality or achievement, but even Varane has shown it's not a trivial adjustment, especially later in a career where there isn't time to just take time bedding in.

Also it would say to me that RM see something that means they're comfortable letting him go. Picking up aging stars from huge clubs is a risky business.

Why are we seemingly incapable of addressing midfield like any other club? Finding someone ready to breakout that's excited to come to Man Utd?
Because we aer u
Modric is great at 36. Scholes played his best football after 30. kDB is about 30. the best players in the world tend to be 30-ish or more.
Mainly those that rely on skill and ability on the ball. No those that rely more on physicality or mobility.

cyberman

Modric is great at 36. Scholes played his best football after 30. kDB is about 30. the best players in the world tend to be 30-ish or more.
KDB is 31, so is Thiago. Fernandinho was 31 when Pep joined city.

ROFLUTION

I'd argue it's the Eriksen part that needs upgrading into a press resistant ball carrier like a Barella or a De Jong. Fred's pressing for me is essential
Eriksen made one mistake last game which costed a goal, but lets not start the narrative that he cant play it out under pressure.

Last game was possibly a one off where he was thrown into a position he had barely played in his career. He’s overall good at first touches, passing without dwelling on the ball, all the attributes needed to play it out under pressure.

Abhinav

If this goes through, would be a great coup and may have a better short term impact than De Jong. It would plug the huge chasm we have in the midfield and an instant upgrade on McT. Would be great if we can get both though.

Samawoodo

Supports
Real Madrid
I give up, £60m for another RM cast off who is 30 years old and and already their 2nd string. I don't think this is good business but let's hope for the best.
Hey there!

I’m a Real fan and I just signed up because I wanted to congratulate you about this signing.

Casemiro is not 2nd string, he is the 1st one without any kind of doubt. Our Manager, Ancelotti, is worried, even with Tchouameni, not just because the player we are losing, but the person

Don’t worry about his age, he is in his prime, and he is very wary about his physical condition. At least he has 4-5 year as a top player.

You are not just signing a midfielder, you are signing the best one. He is a fecking monster. And aside from other Brazilian football players, he is very humble and a one of the “captains” we had, doing an awesome job with our Brazilian players teaching them what Real Madrid means (Vinicius, Rodrygo, Militao) and supporting them in every way in order to make them improve.

I can only wish him the best of the lucks and let you know that you just have gain another MU fan, can not wait to see him playing in your team.

Reactions: moses

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Three serial UCL winners being captained by Harry Maguire will be the go to "fact that doesn't sound true but is" in ten years.

Surreal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Eriksen made one mistake last game which costed a goal, but lets not start the narrative that he cant play it out under pressure.

Last game was possibly a one off where he was thrown into a position he had barely played in his career. He’s overall good at first touches, passing without dwelling on the ball, all the attributes needed to play it out under pressure.
De Gea made a massive mistake that Eriksen couldn't fix.

DavelinaJolie

Yea the plan to build a team in the managers image is clearly out the window. They should still be held accountable for chasing a single player all summer and failing to get the deal done.

But whilst neither age or style of play is ideal, they have signed a damn good player. It just feels like we have gone back to signing avaliable big name players rather than the ideal components of a long term team.

Much more appealing signing than Rabiot though, regardless of age
Don't get me wrong, I share the incredible frustration of people that the club ditched a vision of building something for the long haul so quickly, especially after last summer's Ronaldo and Varane haul proved to be so problematic. That they can't build for a more sustained competitive future and keep falling into short term fixes is so damn annoying, while other clubs hoover up young talent.

But hey, here we are. Again.

Gordon S

So Real Madrid are selling us a 30 year old and we're giving him a huge contract for up to 5 years. I'm not gonna lie I've always liked Casemiro but we're just never going to learn are we?
Yeah, i kind of feel the same. Good player for a position we need strenghtening in. But honestly, how often do these signings work out the way we all hope for?
Varane and Ronaldo made lots of sense last year right? Top players and proven winners, will definetely lift the team to new heights… Zlatan, Alexis, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria Mata etc. Players that are already well established and already stars just rarely work out for us or any club to be honest. Torres and Shevchenko to Chelsea comes to mind as well. RvP is the obvious exception and we only really got one good year out of him. Do hope Casemiro is yet another exception.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
De Bruyne is 31. Let's stay away from him too when he's available for €60m.
To be fair if everything goes well, next year if I have to target a belgian CM it will be Matazo not De Bruyne. :angel:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Three serial UCL winners being captained by Harry Maguire will be the go to "fact that doesn't sound true but is" in ten years.

Surreal.
A Gary Neville barely able to walk anymore captained a United side with VDS, Rio, Vidic, Scholes, Giggs, Carrick, Ronaldo and Rooney. It means feck all

RedDevilMachine

Horrible signing. A 30 year old who is on premium wages on a 5 year contract. We never learn from past mistakes. Brazilians also tend not to age well in their playing years in their 30s. Any 30 year old should be given a max 3 year contract.

devil99

That's not a good way to build a squad. We don't need short term solutions, we need long term ones. We have a new coach, so why not bring in younger players who can build into his style of play. We already brought in an older midfielder in Eriksen, so why bring in another one. We are clearly not challenging for the title in the next 3 years, so why bring in an older expensive option. Rather the younger players, even if it takes them a season or two to settle. We need to bed in a style, consistently make top 4 and then start thinking of challenging for the title. Even Madrid who like to splash cash, decided to go younger to rebuild their midfield. After selling us Varane, another expensive older recruit who turns out to have injury issues, we want to make the mistake again? PSG seem to have woken up and changed their transfer policy towards younger players, we're still the only mugs in town. We are going to wreck this club financially by having these older players on high wages.
Yes, it is very easy to attract top tier players when you are playing in league 1

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Horrible signing. A 30 year old who is on premium wages on a 5 year contract. We never learn from past mistakes. Brazilians also tend not to age well in their playing years in their 30s. Any 30 year old should be given a max 3 year contract.
Four years. At least get your facts straight before ranting

Real Name

No white text?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Give it a rest.

MUFC OK

Fernandinho. And it's 4+1.

Syphon Wallet

Surreal.
If there's any mercy left for us, then Casemiro will be handed the armband off the plane, before his medical

DRDR

At RM Casemiro is clearly the defensive man on the midfield who gives the ball as quickly as possible to Modric and Kroos, the ones with creative qualities. 2 players are needed to think offensive before him. Eriksen will probably be the first and Fernandes the second. I think both are not good enough, especially Fernandes. Ziyech and De Jong would be perfect, but that will not happen. Both Fernandes, Ziyech and Eriksen are to weak defensively and Fernandes and Eriksen to weak attacking. If de Jong does not come, a creative midfielder who can actually defend is still required.

spiriticon

Casemiro isn't going to singlehandedly turn up into a title challenging team. But he will provide an significant option in DM. He might be a bit older, but he's most importantly he is good, and better than Rabiot (and he probably still will be at age 35)

I don't see a clear drop in his level yet either. Still performing in the CL final to a high standard.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Real can sell him because they have the luxury of being at the top and have ready-made alternatives, if not replacements.

Utd can buy him because they need to get back to the top quickly and he is a WC player for now.

Both clubs' interests align because they don't have comparable objectives.
How dare you talk with such sense, didn't you get the memo about Redcafe when you signed up?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think being taken to the cleaners is a subjective take..

It’s the way things have worked out that we’re going to end up signing Casemiro.. signing Rabiot on an expensive contract would be a bigger cleaning job no?

Also if reports are to go by - Apparently Casemiro’s contract is immensely incentivized and performance based so he’ll be earning more or less the same amount as he is in Madrid and only more if the club achieves its targets which I’m assuming are CL qualification/Top 4 finish to say the least which is fair in my opinion..

If this guy comes and bring some composure to our midfield which helps us get CL qualification than £60m is a bargain
Yeah, I smell BS.

What are objectively sound benchmark? Scoring X goals? Reaching top 4? Surviving Relegation? He's a DM which can be hard to objectively assess his performance.

And we definitely not getting top 4, so good luck selling that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Hey there!

I’m a Real fan and I just signed up because I wanted to congratulate you about this signing.

Casemiro is not 2nd string, he is the 1st one without any kind of doubt. Our Manager, Ancelotti, is worried, even with Tchouameni, not just because the player we are losing, but the person

Don’t worry about his age, he is in his prime, and he is very wary about his physical condition. At least he has 4-5 year as a top player.

You are not just signing a midfielder, you are signing the best one. He is a fecking monster. And aside from other Brazilian football players, he is very humble and a one of the “captains” we had, doing an awesome job with our Brazilian players teaching them what Real Madrid means (Vinicius, Rodrygo, Militao) and supporting them in every way in order to make them improve.

I can only wish him the best of the lucks and let you know that you just have gain another MU fan, can not wait to see him playing in your team.
I like you a lot more than the Barca fans.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
So you bet we made contact several weeks ago, but still sees it as a panic buy?

I'd say it is very shrewd business and planning, to keep such a good player in the backhand in case the De Jong deal doesn't happen.
I know they aren't really the same type of players, but at least we end up fixing 1 out of 2 glaring holes in our midfield.
Yeah, I see what you mean :lol: Several weeks ago and panic buying don't go together. Whatever the situation is, I will stay positive and hope this works out for us.
We always needed a player like this anyway, regardless of De Jong or a similar type player. Hopefully this is the beginning of some stability in the middle for us.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
To be fair Neville had a long career at the very highest level unlike Maguire. Ultimately you are right though.
Yeah you can see why he was made captain, but it had next to no effect on the side that was playing.

It's a pet peeve of mine, the captain's armband is just that, a piece of cloth. Lahm captained the Germany side, but I think we can all agree Schweinsteiger was the leader making them walk over glass. You need those kind of leaders, which we may be lacking, but it's completely irrelevant wether they wear the armband or not. Same goes for playing your captain every game. Playing Maguire every match is the issue, not him wearing a piece of cloth

Laurencio

That's not a good way to build a squad. We don't need short term solutions, we need long term ones. We have a new coach, so why not bring in younger players who can build into his style of play. We already brought in an older midfielder in Eriksen, so why bring in another one. We are clearly not challenging for the title in the next 3 years, so why bring in an older expensive option. Rather the younger players, even if it takes them a season or two to settle. We need to bed in a style, consistently make top 4 and then start thinking of challenging for the title. Even Madrid who like to splash cash, decided to go younger to rebuild their midfield. After selling us Varane, another expensive older recruit who turns out to have injury issues, we want to make the mistake again? PSG seem to have woken up and changed their transfer policy towards younger players, we're still the only mugs in town. We are going to wreck this club financially by having these older players on high wages.
We have a terrible midfield who has been screaming out for a defensive midfielder for a very long time, and we have a real lack of leadership on the pitch. Casemiro is a world class defensive midfielder who is a dominant presence on the pitch and a leader with a great mentality. If you throw youngsters in there they will be dragged down by the shite mentality of some of the players currently there. A youngster expects, and should expect, to be guided by his older team-mates and not be responsible for taking a leadership position on the pitch. We need leaders on the pitch and players of significant quality. Casemiro checks all of those boxes. He has the merits, ability, the reputation and the presence to demand respect from every single one of our players - including Ronaldo. Heck he's captain material from day one.

He's not some 34 year old Busquets who was one of the best 4 years ago, he's a 30 year old who is the best right now. Real Madrid fans are genuinely anxious about the team with him leaving, none of them wants him to go - the discussion mostly revolves around him having the right to test himself in the Premier League after having provided them with so much success. He enables us to do exactly what you want us to do, start bringing in youngsters who can gradually take on key positions - without putting the pressure of leading this team on them. Roy Keane often speaks about how we need a player to take the game by the scruff of the neck, someone who can put a tackle in, take charge - take a bit of a revenge when opposition get too agressive. That is what Casemiro does.

Honestly, I can't wait to see him play for us. Never in a million years thought we had this kind of pull still.

RkkMan

I didn't say break the bank but if you buy Caciedo at 40m for example at a quarter of the wages, he would be a better long term fit than Casemiro considering we are rebuilding. Makelele was forced out of Madrid and was motivated to prove them wrong. In addition, he was already joining a strong team in Chelsea who had younger quality players around him. Chasing Top 4 and playing the EPL could mean Casemiro loses that 5-10% motivation to play to his best, I mean he's already assured of his retirement package from what we will be paying him. Kone is highly regarded but even him and Caciedo end up being busts, they will likely still have resale value due to them being young. We could be stuck with Casemiro's on the decline in 2 years but still be on De Gea wages. Look how much trouble we had with Sanchez, rinse and repeat
Caicedo will most mote than £40m. Brighton don't need the money after selling Cucurella and Bissouma
Granted motivation may be a problem with Casemiro but in July when asked where he'd want to play if he left Spain he said the PL on record so every chance he relishes a new challenge
How did the resale value help us with AWB whom we can't sell above £10m? Young players flopping are equally as risky as older players. We've not had an out out DM in years and our midfield is pathetic I'll take my chances with proven quality for here and now not for 10yrs.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Don't get me wrong, I share the incredible frustration of people that the club ditched a vision of building something for the long haul so quickly, especially after last summer's Ronaldo and Varane haul proved to be so problematic. That they can't build for a more sustained competitive future and keep falling into short term fixes is so damn annoying, while other clubs hoover up young talent.

But hey, here we are. Again.
I don't understand this train of thought. So because ETH has a vision of where he wants the team to be in a few years, he should ignore anyone who can help the team right now, and for the next few years as we rebuild??

Everyone on here has been crying out for a DM for literally years. The McFred partnership only came into existence because we didn't have someone who could play the DM role – so we needed to use two players to achieve something close to this. Having a dedicated, capable, world class DM means that we can deploy a more balance midfield –something that can only help our possession and overall style of play.

Oluwaplumpie

I am sure ETH spoke about adapting to the players he has or some such thing. He made it clear he wouldn't just stick to his preferred way of playing and suggested he would adapt.
Fans need to listen to what the person in question is saying, and not what the media speculates on. It's a big fat failing in English society that the media seems to dictate what people think.
I'm sure he regrets this now. This lot are resistant to progressive coaching.

MyDevil

Eventhough we might be paying over the odd for him but we need to rescue our season now. He is a WC player and the probablity of being a flop is lower. We can't take any chances now with unproven younger players. Most fans can't tolerate another performance like last week.

Reactions: Penna

CM

Eriksen isn't particularly great at playing in his own half either. He loses the ball quite a lot, he did it a few times in pre-season and he did for Brentford last season too.

You're right about the position though. He should never be played as the deepest midfielder and hopefully that won't happen again now.

AndySmith1990

Too old, too small, too young, too expensive, too slow, too inexperienced, too unmotivated, too greedy, too racist.

There's always something

Status
Not open for further replies.