Castles: Mourinho given green light to spend in January

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Manchester United have given Jose Mourinho the green light for important mid-season improvements to a squad competing on four fronts for silverware.

A January transfer budget “in the region of €90million” is an endorsement of the managers achievement in leading United to two major trophies in his first season at the club and United’s strongest start to an English Premier League campaign since Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement.

The Old Trafford board’s support for Mourinho’s efforts to prevent a Manchester City squad enriched by unprecedented spending on transfer fees and salaries from taking the title is also seen as an indication that it will extend the 54-year-old’s contract as manager.

Discussions are understood to have taken place between the club and Mourinho’s agent on renewing a deal that expires in 2019.

Of more importance to the Portuguese coach is accelerating the structural improvement of a squad that enters this weekend’s Manchester derby eight points behind City despite scoring 35 times in 15 Premier League fixtures and posting the division’s best defensive record.
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ex...transfer-window-plans-revealed-110818672.html

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What can we buy with Green light?

Apart from going for LB, don't see major additions.

Remix

LordoftheStreams
A budget that just happens to match (close enough) Griezmann's buyout clause? :drool:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think people underestimate how much an attacking LB would improve the balance of our attack.
Tbh Young is very good option for attacking LB. We need long term option though as Shaw might be shipped off.

cyberman

Why is it 90M euros?
Is that a clue as to where we want to buy from?

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
"In the region of €90million"

Now who do we know that has a buy-out clause in this region?

Kapardin

LB is not an immediate requirement with Young and possibly Shaw, as we can hold out till the end of the season. I also do not think Mourinho will look to replace Martial on the LW considering his form.

The priorities are a RW, CM, #10 and RB. Of these, #10 and RB can also be put on the backburner as the first two are even more pressing. If we can sign atleast one of those in January, I think we will be in good shape till the end of the season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ozil and Rose in the January window would be mental

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why is it 90M euros?
Is that a clue as to where we want to buy from?
Yeah, found that a bit weird. Even if we are buying from a European country, fees are normally stated in pounds in UK based articles.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Ogden linking us with Joao Mario. A center midfielder would certainly be welcomed considering Herrera's performances and Carrick's unavailability, plus there's a decent chance that Fellaini might be off.
So how good is he?

@Sly @Invictus

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Tbh Young is very good option for attacking LB. We need long term option though as Shaw might be shipped off.
Young has to cut back onto his right. We have no natural width on the left. Would be a boost for Martial and Rashford.

James Peril

Ogden linking us with Joao Mario. A center midfielder would certainly be welcomed considering Herrera's performances and Carrick's unavailability, plus there's a decent chance that Fellaini might be off.
So how good is he?

@Sly @Invictus
Just signed for Internazionale and played like 35 games for them, so why would they sell and why would he go? And no, he's not good enough for Man Utd.

Brophs

The One and Only
Somewhere Daniel Levy has just decided that Danny Rose is worth £90m.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Just hope Shaw's performance yesterday shows that he'll be good enough, and we can spunk the money on a rw and a cm.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So how good is he?

@Sly @Invictus
João Mário. I read nothing about him to United. I read about PSG doing a player exchange with Inter for him. PSG Dof Antero Henrique knows him well. João Mário is midfielder who can play multiple positions. At Sporting he played as MC and AMR. In our NT he has played as AML. At Inter i've seen him play as AMC. He got good technical and passing ability but lacks some intensity. He has been good for our NT and had a very positive impact at Sporting. He's struggling at Inter, so i don't know if he's United material. He cost Inter 40 million euros. I can't remember last time Mourinho bought a player with clear history at Sporting, so i'm a bit skeptical about this.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So how good is he?

@Sly @Invictus
I think he’s struggled to impress at Inter after being quite highly rated for Sporting. Only 4 starts this season in what seems a revitalised Inter side (currently first in the league)

Canagel

LB is not an immediate requirement with Young and possibly Shaw, as we can hold out till the end of the season. I also do not think Mourinho will look to replace Martial on the LW considering his form.

The priorities are a RW, CM, #10 and RB. Of these, #10 and RB can also be put on the backburner as the first two are even more pressing. If we can sign atleast one of those in January, I think we will be in good shape till the end of the season.
We need a LB urgently. Shaw needs to stay fit and consistent which isn't guaranteed and Young despite his good form recently is not a LB. It's the number 1 priority.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
So how good is he?

@Sly @Invictus
I don't think we should sign him, mate - though he has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain, so some big clubs are certainly looking at him. Mário is an interesting player because he can play all across the midfield and has good technique - which seems like an ideal combination on paper because he could be an X-factor, but he hasn't had the best time with Inter after being arguably the best midfielder in Primeira Liga - so there are a couple question marks about his ability to adapt to harsher leagues or environments. Plus, there were some doubts about his lack of aggressiveness in the past, and they haven't been resolved - maybe Mourinho can make him tougher and more committed on the field? Stylistically as well, he's probably more suited to La Liga - at clubs like Sevilla or Villarreal or Valencia to fine-tune his game.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I don't think we should sign him, mate - though he has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain, so some big clubs are certainly looking at him. Mário is an interesting player because he can play all across the midfield and has good technique - which seems like an ideal combination on paper because he could be an X-factor, but he hasn't had the best time with Inter after being arguably the best midfielder in Primeira Liga - so there are a couple question marks about his ability to adapt to harsher leagues or environments. Plus, there were some doubts about his lack of aggressiveness in the past, and they haven't been resolved - maybe Mourinho can make him tougher and more committed on the field? Stylistically as well, he's probably more suited to La Liga - at clubs like Sevilla or Villarreal or Valencia to fine-tune his game.
João Mário. I read nothing about him to United. I read about PSG doing a player exchange with Inter for him. PSG Dof Antero Henrique knows him well. João Mário is midfielder who can play multiple positions. At Sporting he played as MC and AMR. In our NT he has played as AML. At Inter i've seen him play as AMC. He got good technical and passing ability but lacks some intensity. He has been good for our NT and had a very positive impact at Sporting. He's struggling at Inter, so i don't know if he's United material. He cost Inter 40 million euros. I can't remember last time Mourinho bought a player with clear history at Sporting, so i'm a bit skeptical about this.
I think he’s struggled to impress at Inter after being quite highly rated for Sporting. Only 4 starts this season in what seems a revitalised Inter side (currently first in the league)
Cheers!

Just thought with him not being CL tied, he could be an option for us.

dove

Just hope Shaw's performance yesterday shows that he'll be good enough, and we can spunk the money on a rw and a cm.
Biggest problem with Shaw is not performances (although he is defensively suspect) but his injuries. Just like Jones, he can't stay fit for more than 5 games in a row. He has made just over 30 apps in over 3 seasons with us, surely it's not good enough. Our only decent option is Young so LB should be a top priority together with RW.

Smores

I can't see our spending linked to going after any particular objective. I think its a case of the right player being available, and well we know who that is.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Alex Sandro if the reported 50 million is enough and put the rest into the summer budget for a right-winger/central-creator like Pulisic/Griezmann/other players unlikely to come to us.