Castles: Mourinho given green light to spend in January

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Inter will never sell him midseason. Perhaps in the summer, but I doubt it, unless he forces a move. He really is irreplaceable to Inter.
Besides, he signed a new contract literally three months ago.

Jaybomb

Inter will never sell him midseason. Perhaps in the summer, but I doubt it, unless he forces a move. He really is irreplaceable to Inter.
Everyone has a price. They would sell for 60M

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
I think he's worth more than 60 million, with today's inflated prices in mind. He won't be cheap.
A right winger should be our main priority, with a 10, centre midfielder and a left back in Summer.
It's the same with Candreva.

Perisic, Icardi and Candreva are simply not for sale. They rack up points after points for Inter.

Devil may care

It makes sense to try and get something done in January as it's a World Cup year so the summer will be hectic and difficult.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wonder how our transfer targets are identified and signed now ribalta is at the club. Does he draw up a list and Jose picks from it or does Jose tell him to find players for x y and z positions? Or does Jose tell him to scout particular players? I guess this is more a post about ribalta and his role in our transfers more than our having money to spend in January!

Ozil and Goretzka would be an amazing window but I don’t think either club will sell to us easily. They would be very exciting additions to a squad that’s not very far away from being top class again. I wouldn’t be heartbroken to see miki/mata leave and Carrick to hang up his boots and the aforementioned players were signed. I’m glad we are looking at more German players. They have been producing top players for a long time.

I think pulisic would be my favourite signing. The Dortmund jinx aside I think he’s a great age, he has WC potential in a position we need to improve and hed be a dream from a marketing perspective. If we could get him for 50/60 million and include mata or miki in any trade I’d be very happy with that.

I wouldn’t sign AG7. He’s having a terrible season and I have a feeling he may have peaked. I could be way off but that’s my feeling at the minute. Happy to be proved wrong as long as it’s for us!

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
United have a scouting team for a reason. Idk why everyone acts like good players have to be superstars and can't be unearthed and bought for less.

90m euros should be able to get United one top tier player (maybe not a superstar) and one squad/backup player should need be.
It's just lazyness. How much was Salah bought for? Intelligent buying involves signing a good player ready to explode into a top class one. Signing a Griezemann or Mbappe will obviously cost a fortune. There's no mandate to go for obvious options though.

amolbhatia50k

I wonder how our transfer targets are identified and signed now ribalta is at the club. Does he draw up a list and Jose picks from it or does Jose tell him to find players for x y and z positions? Or does Jose tell him to scout particular players? I guess this is more a post about ribalta and his role in our transfers more than our having money to spend in January!

Ozil and Goretzka would be an amazing window but I don’t think either club will sell to us easily. They would be very exciting additions to a squad that’s not very far away from being top class again. I wouldn’t be heartbroken to see miki/mata leave and Carrick to hang up his boots and the aforementioned players were signed. I’m glad we are looking at more German players. They have been producing top players for a long time.
I wouldn’t sign AG7. He’s having a terrible season and I have a feeling he may have peaked. I could be way off but that’s my feeling at the minute. Happy to be proved wrong as long as it’s for us!
I've admired him for a long while now but also been unsure as to us he fits in. The only way it makes sense is if the 352/343 is the future. Even then, I really feel we need another playmaker more than we need yet another striker.

If we do want to sign we absolutely must make sure he isn't on the decline even if is gradual.

Ali Dia

I've admired him for a long while now but also been unsure as to us he fits in. The only way it makes sense is if the 352/343 is the future. Even then, I really feel we need another playmaker more than we need yet another striker.

If we do want to sign we absolutely must make sure he isn't on the decline even if is gradual.
Pulisic!

Hawks2008

Alex Sandro is reportedly available for 50m in January. If true we should not pass that up, we would have a top 3 LB in the world just entering his prime years.
Other than that, maybe try to sort out a pre-contract thing with Goretzka. We need midfield depth, and quality player with his age and potential for free would be shrewd business. I hear Bayern have been circling around for him, but I don't see why we couldn't gazump them. As for Mesut Ozil, I think Wenger would let him walk for free instead of willingly selling him to Mourinho and United.

amolbhatia50k

As a right winger/right sided forward? I guess. I've not seen much of him to be honest. I still do feel we need that one technical playmaker whether in midfielder or in the hole ala Veratti or Silva.

Ali Dia

As a right winger/right sided forward? I guess. I've not seen much of him to be honest. I still do feel we need that one technical playmaker whether in midfielder or in the hole ala Veratti or Silva.
I think Pogba is our playmaker now. Another top young player who has a bit of magic, can beat a man with pace or skill, can spot a pass and knows where the goal is - has to be welcome in our squad. I think we are even strong enough that we could give him a season to bed in too, rotating him with what we already have there. The best young signings in the world please while we continue rebuilding!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He's been amazing for them by all accounts. Huge part of the reason they sit top of Serie A.

Can't see them selling their second best player and blowing their chance to get out of the wilderness.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
It makes sense to try and get something done in January as it's a World Cup year so the summer will be hectic and difficult.
Which makes Jan window even more difficult unless a player with world cup aspirations is warming the bench like Mata did.

Greck

Future transfers I'd like to see:
A left footed player for LB/LWB. Young is in great form but our build up play on that wing suffers from having no one that can hug the touchline or feels comfortable going on the outside. Young isn't particularly great till he's fed the ball in the final third.

A high workrate/destroyer type CM to cover for Pogba when he loses the ball or loses his man. Preferably strong in the tackle and competent passing forward a la Kante. This should be Herrera but he has struggled this season to do any of these consistently

Reactions: SteveJ

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Griezmann already out the CL. No reason for him to stay
He has more reasons to stay than leave. He can try to win the Europa League particularly with the additions of Diego Costa and Vitolo, he is pretty much in his country, he loves his current city, his family is settled and he already earns a lot of money. Also he isn't eligible for the CL.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I wonder if we will fill the number 7 void in January ?
I think, that Mourinho will try to get both Ozil & Rose in January, resolving the #10 and #3 issues.
This could allow the whole Summer window to be dedicated to landing a marquee #7 such as Griezmann or Dybala.....:rolleyes:

onemanarmy

I'm expecting a very underwhelming transfer window in general. Can't wait to be proven wrong though. :drool:

Crashoutcassius

I get it that you are convinced that Jose will only ever want to play a #10 with 2 midfielders. Even if Pogba represents something different to a normal midfielder. We may disagree on this. But do you not think having another quality midfielder is a sensible thing with view to Matic and Pogba not needing to play every game and, if disaster strikers, either gets injured?
Just don't see it as a massive january priority given that we have Herrera who was arguably our player of the season last year. Mourinho not big on rotation in CM and then when our back up CM comes in he looks rusty... not a big shock to me personally. But buying another player urgently in January to sit on the bench and look rusty when he does play isn't a priority in my opinion

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
This Savic kid from Lazio looks like a beast. Id say he would enjoy playing with Matic and Pogba in the middle. Maybe if big Fellaini wants to leave he may go this January and we would need another physical specimen (with more skill) sooner rather than later. So I can see the reports of us watching Savic being true.

Infra-red

I think, that Mourinho will try to get both Ozil & Rose in January, resolving the #10 and #3 issues.
This could allow the whole Summer window to be dedicated to landing a marquee #7 such as Griezmann or Dybala.....:rolleyes:
Not sure I see the United board sanctioning a big spend in January on a player (Ozil) who will be available for free just 5 months later. If we're actually interested, it will happen in the summer.

Oldyella

I think Pogba is our playmaker now. Another top young player who has a bit of magic, can beat a man with pace or skill, can spot a pass and knows where the goal is - has to be welcome in our squad. I think we are even strong enough that we could give him a season to bed in too, rotating him with what we already have there. The best young signings in the world please while we continue rebuilding!
I think we need a second alongside Pogba, would help free him up. Teams atm can basically double mark him as he provides so much of our penetrative play. Look at kdb, he gets so much more space than Pogba as teams cannot leave Silva alone to double up.

Coxy

Not sure I see the United board sanctioning a big spend in January on a player (Ozil) who will be available for free just 5 months later. If we're actually interested, it will happen in the summer.
That’s what I thought on football manager too. I’d wait till the summer... then Liverpool sneaked in and offered 20 million = he went there in January. You snooze, you lose.

Someone will surely make a bid

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That’s what I thought on football manager too. I’d wait till the summer... then Liverpool sneaked in and offered 20 million = he went there in January. You snooze, you lose.

Absolutely....!
Those clubs that are serious about landing Ozil & Sanchez will most definitely make their move in January when the players can negotiate.
Making an offer of about 25-30% of their true market value could get you to the front of a very long queue, with the selling club grudgingly accepting a knock down fee rather than have the players walk away for nothing in a few months time.

Infra-red

Absolutely....!
Those clubs that are serious about landing Ozil & Sanchez will most definitely make their move in January when the players can negotiate.
Making an offer of about 25-30% of their true market value could get you to the front of a very long queue, with the selling club grudgingly accepting a knock down fee rather than have the players walk away for nothing in a few months time.
I agree that bidding in January is the surest method of securing the player. I just don't see our board sanctioning it, because it doesn't make financial sense. The rationale will be "if the player really wants to play for us, he'll bat away the January offers in favour of a summer move here".

Player Red

I agree that bidding in January is the surest method of securing the player. I just don't see our board sanctioning it, because it doesn't make financial sense. The rationale will be "if the player really wants to play for us, he'll bat away the January offers in favour of a summer move here".
The difference may not be that great though. Player can demand more money in the summer due to no transfer fee involved and you are in a bidding war with other clubs over the salary, add-ons etc..

Infra-red

The difference may not be that great though. Player can demand more money in the summer due to no transfer fee involved and you are in a bidding war with other clubs over the salary, add-ons etc..
I'm not convinced Ozil will be quite as in demand as all that. There will be a number of clubs in for him, but a bidding war, I'm not so sure. We'd have to offer a competitive salary (north of £200k p/w) anyway, and although the signing fee in the summer would no doubt be substantial, I doubt it would come close to the face-saving fee Arsenal would feel obliged to demand in January (£20m+).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just don't see it as a massive january priority given that we have Herrera who was arguably our player of the season last year. Mourinho not big on rotation in CM and then when our back up CM comes in he looks rusty... not a big shock to me personally. But buying another player urgently in January to sit on the bench and look rusty when he does play isn't a priority in my opinion
I actually think this debate is thread-worthy. Whether Pogba is suitable for a midfield 2 or whether he'd be better served by having 2 midfielders give him a free role.