Castles: Mourinho given green light to spend in January

Camilo

I actually think this debate is thread-worthy. Whether Pogba is suitable for a midfield 2 or whether he'd be better served by having 2 midfielders give him a free role.
I think in a 5-3-2, with two world class fullbacks/wingbacks essentially making it a 3-3-4 in attack, with Pogba doing what he wants, we'd control matches like we haven't seen in an age.

Anyways, unless the right players are available I can't see Mourinho buying for the sake of it. We're weak in certain places, but giving the fringe players more of a shot for the second half of the season may end up being a better move. Are Lingard, Mata, Blind, Herrera, and Mkhi worth hanging onto or replacing? He'll never know if he buys good but not necessarily better players in January.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think in a 5-3-2, with two world class fullbacks/wingbacks essentially making it a 3-3-4 in attack, with Pogba doing what he wants, we'd control matches like we haven't seen in an age.

Anyways, unless the right players are available I can't see Mourinho buying for the sake of it. We're weak in certain places, but giving the fringe players more of a shot for the second half of the season may end up being a better move. Are Lingard, Mata, Blind, Herrera, and Mkhi worth hanging onto or replacing? He'll never know if he buys good but not necessarily better players in January.
Aye. I don't think many, if any, are arguing for buying decent players. It's pointless unless they are top quality. You might be right with the 5-3-2 if we have exceptional wing backs, but personally I'd rather see a dominant midfield as we already have two outstanding midfielders, with one being more attacking.
As for the players you mentioned, I think Jesse has really shown that he is an extremely useful squad player and he'll be here for a long time. With the others, it's anyone's guess.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I agree that bidding in January is the surest method of securing the player. I just don't see our board sanctioning it, because it doesn't make financial sense. The rationale will be "if the player really wants to play for us, he'll bat away the January offers in favour of a summer move here".
The other factor to consider is, how much of an impact will that player have at the business end of the season.
Signing that player in January, could be the difference in finishing inside or outside the Champions League positions. Winning the league or being R/U, clinching the FA Cup or not etc...

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think we need a second alongside Pogba, would help free him up. Teams atm can basically double mark him as he provides so much of our penetrative play. Look at kdb, he gets so much more space than Pogba as teams cannot leave Silva alone to double up.
As crap as he’s been recently I genuinely think miki still has a lot to offer, especially when Pogba is in the team taking the pressure off him.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Evra, Vidic (05/06), and Mata (13/14).

Those are the only three I can think of who signed in January over the last 4 WC seasons. And Mata happened because Mourinho didn't really want him and Moyes had to buy someone.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I actually think this debate is thread-worthy. Whether Pogba is suitable for a midfield 2 or whether he'd be better served by having 2 midfielders give him a free role.
Having seen how many chances we conceded away to Arsenal and to Chelsea I feel we need to sure up the midfield more for the big away games so I'd like to see the Herrera + Matic + Pogba trio used rather than a number 10

ROFLUTION

Anyone got a list of all the January signings Jose has made and the amount spent?

It might give us an idea of the likelihood of transfer activity this January.
Cuadrado (Chelsea)
Matic (Chelsea)
Zouma (Chelsea)
Jarosik (Chelsea, centreback)
Rajkovic (Chelsea, centreback)
Adebayor (Real, Loan)
Diego Lopez (Real)
Carlos Alberto (porto)
Maciel (Porto)
Marco Ferreira (Porto)
Maniche (Chelsea, loan)

All since 1999. That's 0.611 player pr winter-window. It's not often he buys in winter, you could argue.

onemanarmy

Cuadrado (Chelsea)
Matic (Chelsea)
Zouma (Chelsea)
Adebayor (Real, Loan)
Diego Lopez (Real)
Carlos Alberto (porto)
Maciel (Porto)
Marco Ferreira (Porto)
Maniche (Chelsea, loan)

All since 1999. That's 0.611 player pr winter-window. It's not often he buys in winter, you could argue.
Yikes. To be fair, he didn't have the same resources at Inter and Porto.

ROFLUTION

Yikes. To be fair, he didn't have the same resources at Inter and Porto.
I guess some of the Chelsea players were bought as part of their classic talent / loan-em-out strategy too.

Now I have killed off all hopes of a good signing with stats. You're all welcome.

D. Mungai

Perisic please
Perisic is the missing piece of the jigsaw. Snap him up at any cost if it means completing Mourinho’s ideal side.
In another forum of 'friends' i said during last summer break if we sign Perisic Lukaku Matic. We will win the league 100% sure. When Perisic deal failed i said we can win the league but people will need to perform better.. How true its unfolding. Perisic is the Only Player who will complete United under the current regime of players, manager, style of play.
He was the ideal player in the summer, imagine now

Chillosophy

I really hope we go for Emil Forsberg at Leipzig.
While i'd really want him at Old Trafford we shouldnt prioritize a player like him. We already have Mkhi and Mata for example, we need a wide player that stretches the play. Eventhough Emil can operate on the wings he's more like Mata and drifts central.

Crashoutcassius

I think you could well be right - I just think the evidence is overwhelming that 'it doesn't matter because mourinho wants a 2 man midfield'

It isn't worth much, but I had this debate both before mourinho started and before this season and was correct both times, having been told by a lot of people that Pogba needs two anchors to free him up, etc etc

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Castles said in his recent podcast that Ozil is definitely not first choice and that Mourinho is looking for a higher level player.
How much higher can one go for a #10 as capable as Ozil especially with the track record and bond he has with Mourinho from the past? I’d argue you can’t, especially considering who’s realistically available.

EyeInTheSky

Cuadrado (Chelsea)
Matic (Chelsea)
Zouma (Chelsea)
Adebayor (Real, Loan)
Diego Lopez (Real)
Carlos Alberto (porto)
Maciel (Porto)
Marco Ferreira (Porto)
Maniche (Chelsea, loan)

Great thank you!

I wonder if he had any great need in the past when he was on top with strong squads. Perhaps this is a different situation?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Great thank you!

I wonder if he had any great need in the past when he was on top with strong squads. Perhaps this is a different situation?
Different day in age compared to back then. And as José has said numerous times, United are a big big club that have financial means that only a handful of clubs in the world do. And this is a rebuilding squad he took over so if I had to guess I’d say if something makes sense JM would be inclined to get something done to acquire a player and let them get up to speed with familiarity and all.

cloyton

1st Post!

According to Big Dunc united are well in the lead for 50m Alex Sandro from Juventus!

cyberman

Apparently he has said we're after Sandro in January and not Rose?
This is a bit irresponsible posting this but he's just dropped a new podcast episide over the last twenty minutes?
Anybody listening?

United Pro

How much higher can one go for a #10 as capable as Ozil especially with the track record and bond he has with Mourinho from the past? I’d argue you can’t, especially considering who’s realistically available.
Fair point. Maybe Castles is suggesting that Mourinho is looking more for a secondary striker rather than a #10, or perhaps he just sees someone like Griezmann or Dybala as higher tier.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Fair point. Maybe Castles is suggesting that Mourinho is looking more for a secondary striker rather than a #10, or perhaps he just sees someone like Griezmann or Dybala as higher tier.
Ah I see, also makes sense

United Pro

Last edited:

EyeInTheSky

If there is any truth in this with Sandro then I think Jose will move Young to the right as he has done more than enough to justify a starting place. But then Lingard has done the same thing so do you move him centrally(where he is a far better player than out on the right? What about Mata who looks sharp again (all be it one game).

Good problems to have I guess!

Personally, I would love a monster RW and an SS or a 10. Although I do realise that LB was a big issue for a while it looks like we at least have adequate players who are either coming back into form or being consistent.

Macern

Pee pee pants
He has more reasons to stay than leave. He can try to win the Europa League particularly with the additions of Diego Costa and Vitolo, he is pretty much in his country, he loves his current city, his family is settled and he already earns a lot of money. Also he isn't eligible for the CL.
But he wants to go to Man Utd and the transfer ban was the reason why he didn't move in the summer. The ban is lifted now so they can replace him. And like P-Nut said there's no big reason for him to wait until the summer when he can come now. He won't get to play in the CL no matter what he decides on.

FujiVice

Our goals in the next 1 month should be:
1. Beat City
2. Have a good run over Christmas
3. Strengthen in January.

Klean

For me get in Alex Sandro and Leon Goretzka in January to solidify the team and provide some additional depth. Then this summer ship off some of the players who aren't performing (Blind, Miki) and bring in the likes of Ozil, Griezemann and hell I'd take Gareth Bale if the price was right.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But he wants to go to Man Utd and the transfer ban was the reason why he didn't move in the summer. The ban is lifted now so they can replace him. And like P-Nut said there's no big reason for him to wait until the summer when he can come now. He won't get to play in the CL no matter what he decides on.
No one knows what he wants to do and no one knows why he didn't move in the summer.

Macern

Pee pee pants
No one knows what he wants to do and no one knows why he didn't move in the summer.
Yeah right. Come on, there have been countless hints both from him and from people like Pogba, his brother etc. Do you think it’s random that everything was put off straight after the announcement of Atletico’s ban? And that the release clause isn’t changed?

The only reason I can think of as to why you refuse to see this is because you don’t want him to move to Man Utd, is that correct?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah right. Come on, there have been countless hints both from him and from people like Pogba, his brother etc. Do you think it’s random that everything was put off straight after the announcement of Atletico’s ban? And that the release clause isn’t changed?

The only reason I can think of as to why you refuse to see this is because you don’t want him to move to Man Utd, is that correct?
I would actually like him at united but I don't think that he wants to play for United. The rumor is that United was the plan of his former advisor who thought that United was the best club from a marketing standpoint, everything started with him and an interview for RMC. When Griezmann is asked about his future without being oriented, he almost exclusively starts with Spain and how he loves his life in the country and would like to stay but the other clubs aren't really an option because of rivalry or lack of room at Barcelona, then he talks about the PL as a whole and I don't think that he has preference between Arsenal, Chelsea, City and United.

Alabaster Codify7

"Oh tell me why....does Dun-can Cas-tles always lie?
Please tell me why.....does Dun-can Cas-tles always lie?
Oh tell me why....does Dun-can Cas-tles always lie...."

lysglimt

Scout
How about we stop hoping he will come good eventually and fix our left back problem once and for all?
His performance in midweek made me believe that is what we could be doing. Ok - let me rephrase...why do we need to buy Danny Rose in january when we have Young and Shaw ? Then we can reconsider our options in the summer. A leftback is NOT what we need the most right now...and Danny Rose imo isn't the solution to our problems anyway

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think you could well be right - I just think the evidence is overwhelming that 'it doesn't matter because mourinho wants a 2 man midfield'

It isn't worth much, but I had this debate both before mourinho started and before this season and was correct both times, having been told by a lot of people that Pogba needs two anchors to free him up, etc etc
Likewise, you could be right. It's just that Pogba is quite a special player, not just in terms of being an outrageous talent, but quite specific for such a physically gifted midfielder who is incredible on the ball. He is somewhere between a #10 and an #8. And my hunch is that giving him that free role will be of greater benefit to the team in the long run than persisting with a tactic where that's not an option.