Castles: Mourinho given green light to spend in January

RedDevilRoshi

GM K

His performance in midweek made me believe that is what we could be doing. Ok - let me rephrase...why do we need to buy Danny Rose in january when we have Young and Shaw ? Then we can reconsider our options in the summer. A leftback is NOT what we need the most right now...and Danny Rose imo isn't the solution to our problems anyway
I agree 100%
I will be disappointed if Jose's focus right now is the left back position. Young is in the form of his life now. I cannot see more than three left backs in the world capable of benching him at the moment. For long term sake, yes, we should buy in the summer. But for now, we have some other serious issues. The midfield for me is problematic. Same with our right wing. Once Pogba is out, we tend to struggle. You don't win titles with a situation like that.

Devil may care

I agree 100%
I will be disappointed if Jose's focus right now is the left back position. Young is in the form of his life now. I cannot see more than three left backs in the world capable of benching him at the moment. For long term sake, yes, we should buy in the summer. But for now, we have some other serious issues. The midfield for me is problematic. Same with our right wing. Once Pogba is out, we tend to struggle. You don't win titles with a situation like that.
Young's had 4 or 5 good games but lets not go overboard, he's always been a squad player and often lucky to even be at a club like United, if we can get a top LB like Alex Sandro in January, we should be all over it. I don't think we'll bother with RW anymore, to be honest looking at who we have been regularly linked with RW doesn't seem to be on the agenda, the wide player we spent all summer trying to get plays on the LW and Jose confirmed that was so he could use 3 at the back, I think what we have seen recently with the 3-4-3 is the plan going forward, it suits all of our young forwards, which means we are likely looking for a top AM/#10 to pull the strings behind a striker combo of Lukaku and Martial/Rashford. I agree the midfield situation isn't great, the drop off with Pogba out is steep, but that's tough to fix as you can't get cover of his level, that's where adding a top AM/#10 should ease the burden.

Long Ball

Mind games via the press to highlight how pep has spent more and the great job Jose is doing

"More goals than Liverpool and best defence compared to free spending city"

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In another forum of 'friends' i said during last summer break if we sign Perisic Lukaku Matic. We will win the league 100% sure. When Perisic deal failed i said we can win the league but people will need to perform better.. How true its unfolding. Perisic is the Only Player who will complete United under the current regime of players, manager, style of play.
He was the ideal player in the summer, imagine now
Do you really believe this?

Would you play him left wing back? Or would he be keeping Martial or Rashford out of left wing?

TheSandman

I only lasted about 20 minutes into his podcast about transfers, and he speaks about this "90m" budget as factual information he received and that Mourinho will spend it. He mentioned that juventus will only accept crazy offers for sandro in the january market which makes me quite susceptible to this rumour as i dont see us sending upwards of £60-£70m to acquire one target if our budget is really to be believed at 90m. Either way it will be quite interesting to see whether we do sign anyone in January as Duncan has clearly put his neck out on the line and reputation with this information.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mind games via the press to highlight how pep has spent more and the great job Jose is doing

"More goals than Liverpool and best defence compared to free spending city"
Excellent spin, as if we've been fairly tight with out spending :lol:

The truth is that we've spent similar sort of amounts, but City started from a much better squad position than us.
However, we've got the top man to get us back to competing. Arsenal was a real turning point of doing it in a big game, after a fair few attempts we looked no force.

Alabaster Codify7

It'll be a LB and nothing more, if we sign anyone, in my opinion. Probably spunk way too much on Danny Rose, though Sandro would be preferred.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Think it will be a left back and Ozil at a minimum. Maybe a midfielder like Sergej Milinkovic-Savic as well if Woody's feeling it.
LB and Savic? That will be £120m or thereabout. We're not spending that in January.

Skills

Snitch
I'd get a left back if it's Alex Sandro. What a fecking signing that would be.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd get a left back if it's Alex Sandro. What a fecking signing that would be.
I'm keen on signing some new players in January but defenders never fare well when coming in during the January window. I wouldn't expect him to set the world on fire by February.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Look why the feck would Wenger let Ozil leave mid season?
Might not be his decision if the board decide they can get 30m for him now, rather than nothing in the summer.

Obviously it's a bit risky though.

Long Ball

Excellent spin, as if we've been fairly tight with out spending :lol:

The truth is that we've spent similar sort of amounts, but City started from a much better squad position than us.
However, we've got the top man to get us back to competing. Arsenal was a real turning point of doing it in a big game, after a fair few attempts we looked no force.
I can't see the board splashing 90m when perisic was a signing they couldn't stomach

D. Mungai

Would you play him left wing back? Or would he be keeping Martial or Rashford out of left wing?
Yeeeeees completely.
1st. Perisic will offer natural width.
2nd. Perisic can beat a man
3rd. Pacy and can cross both legs.

Just what we need. I swear Matic = Perisic in terms of not being flashy signing but by far the very best signing we would make.

beingshe7don

I think Jose would go for a 3-4-3 where Perisic could possibly play at LWB while Rashford/ Martial play LF

beingshe7don

However I think the ship has sailed for Perisic to join United on Inter's side as well as our side. We need a real potent RW in Jan. Lingard has started playing well but he isn't consistent and would rather have world class player for the RW except for Bale.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Look why the feck would Wenger let Ozil leave mid season?
Because 30m is still pretty big money versus guaranteed zero in the summer, when they're not going to be in for the big trophies anyway.

They'd need to buy though. But Sanchez was going in the summer and every one knew it. They just couldnt get the replacement lemar in.

Ozil himself is probably smarter to wait it out. He's got away with the grief sanchez has, even though he's shown no more.commitment.
And with no fee he'll trouser loada more spondoolas

SwansonsTache

Because 30m is still pretty big money when they're not going to be in for the big trophies anyway.

They'd need to buy though. But Sanchez was going in the summer and every one knew it. They just couldnt get the replacement lemar in.

Ozil himself is probably smarter to wait it out. He's got away with the grief sanchez has, even though he's shown no more.commitment.
And with no fee he'll trouser loada more spondoolas
Securing a CL spot is worth more than the money they can get for either this January. Both players are crucial towards that goal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Securing a CL spot is worth more than the money they can get for either this January. Both players are crucial towards that goal.
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
They've dealt with it dreadfully to let both get to this stage at and at the same time!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Arsenal getting top 4 is a very tough ask. This season is just like last season; there are several teams going for the top 4. You have to be very good to get into the top 4.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
In another forum of 'friends' i said during last summer break if we sign Perisic Lukaku Matic. We will win the league 100% sure. When Perisic deal failed i said we can win the league but people will need to perform better.. How true its unfolding. Perisic is the Only Player who will complete United under the current regime of players, manager, style of play.
He was the ideal player in the summer, imagine now
One of the shittiest posts I've seen in a while.

SwansonsTache

Wouldn't mind Savic in January. Would make us lethal in a 3-5-2, and could rotate with Pogba for the 4-2-3-1.

Lazio isn't exactly cash strapped either, so a hefty enough bid should test their resolve. We are most definitely not getting a free run at him in the summer.

Andersons Dietician

On a serious note if we do have money this January and need to sign a player if it’s not Goretzka then our scouting system needs overhauled again. Funnily enough he, Goretzka is the kind of player Juve would pick up for dirt cheap and make him in to a mega star. Come on Ribalta, let’s do this :lol:

SemiPro

I think that CM should be the priority over LB purely because we’ve been too over reliant on Pogba. Young/Shaw/Darmian are fine at LB until the summer at least.

IrishMcD

The way Young played Silva onside for Citys goal and the way he always spins in towards goal to hoof a clearance on his right foot as soon as he comes under pressure, despite nearly being blocked down numerous times this season, should prove to everyone he is not ok as a left back. He works as a left wing back because his main job is attacking or covering back but not brass tacks defending. At left back in a back four, he gets himself in knots time after time after time.

northender

Supports
Preston North End
Even as a neutral, I've said on here before how obvious it is that United need 2 new full backs, a natural wingers, a world class forward of Hazard/Griezmann standard and probably another quality central midfielder too with the reliance on Pogba so great and Matic/Herrera/Fellaini late 20s and Carrick even older.

Basically, United need an overhaul and it needs to be more of a revolution rather than evolution if they're to even keep close to City in the coming years.

Last edited:
Reactions: KM

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Even as a neutral, I've said on here before how obvious it is that United need 2 new full backs, a natural wingers, a world class forward of Hazarad/Griezmann standard and probably another quality central midfielder too with the reliance on Pogba so great and Matic/Herrera/Fellaini late 20s and Carrick even older.

Basically, United need an overhaul and it needs to be more of a revolution rather than evolution if they're to even keep close to City in the coming years.
Scary how we've spent so much and are still so far away.

I agree on the full backs but also on the wingers. Look at Sterling and Sane. Both offer so much width.

AndyJ1985

Spend every penny and then some, and spend it top quality players. No more shit like Mkhitaryan.