Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

jem

So the next time an England player plays for Spanish club and wrote something in english that they translated as racist in spanish he'll get a 3 match ban?
It really is ridiculous. Imagine an English player playing in Saudi Arabia, and posting something like this on his Instagram: 'Lionel Messi went into God-mode today.'

Would we think it ok for the authorities in that county to punish him for posting what they interpret to be as unacceptable, even though he posted it in English? I don't believe we would.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The chokeslam is a gesture of respect in Uruguay, everyone knows that and he should not be judged on what is acceptable in the UK.
:lol: :lol:

Bravo.
Misunderstanding, but the FA have actually demonstrated unconscious racism against Cavani & South American culture. I think the best course of action would be a public apology from the FA for slandering Edinson’s good name.

Last edited:

SuperiorXI

I agree with the Danish professor. If the FA charge Cavani, it's cultural racism.

Sick of seeing posts saying "he shouldn't have said it end of" just educate yourself and stop taking such a narrow minded view. Look into it and you'll be more informed at the very least of how the world works.

The Red Thinker

Don't bet on it. The Danish Professor and this Argentine Institute have properly stirred the hornet's nest. The FA are under a huge spotlight in this case.
Not really. These things are about the press. The British press is inherently racist and won't give a tosh about these petitions.

Member 101269

I agree with the Danish professor. If the FA charge Cavani, it's cultural racism.

Sick of seeing posts saying "he shouldn't have said it end of" just educate yourself and stop taking such a narrow minded view. Look into it and you'll be more informed at the very least of how the world works.
Whereas I disagree.

The notion of culture is not as a universal truth, nor is it limited to language or that the GB version of culture is superior. The prof is wrong.

There is a lack of education; that failing is in part the FAs

The One and Only

Which games would he potentially miss? Losing him for Liverpool would be a big blow. He offers something different from our other forwards and has a knack of scoring important goals

Boneli

On the plus side the games he misses could have been worse.

“Cavani will miss United's Premier League visit of Aston Villa on New Year's Day, the Carabao Cup semi-final with Manchester City on Wednesday and the FA Cup third round tie with Watford on January 9.”

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Shame he couldn't have just snuck through to the Villa game - being 1 day away!
Especially as the Burnley game, freshly re-arranged would have been the 3rd game off.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Misses Villa, City and Watford. 2 cup games. We can survive rotating Rashford/Martial/Greenwood and James and Mata in over these next few games. Cavani fresh for Burnley and Liverpool.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

“Cavani will miss United's Premier League visit of Aston Villa on New Year's Day, the Carabao Cup semi-final with Manchester City on Wednesday and the FA Cup third round tie with Watford on January 9.”
The beauty of it is the whole ban is over in 10 days of action.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
But we've got the FA in our back pocket?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
£100k! The world has gone mad. Easiest money the FA will ever make mind the useless knobheads.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is one of the most ridiculous decisions I’ve seen in a long time, and ironically, more racist in itself than anything that Cavani said.

They will now send him on some sort of ‘diversity and inclusion’ course while displaying their own stark lack of diversity and inclusion.

Silverman

Shame he couldn't have just snuck through to the Villa game - being 1 day away!
Especially as the Burnley game, freshly re-arranged would have been the 3rd game off.
I think we may need him more against Burnley as they will be sitting deep and playing very defensive and we may have to rely on some crosses.

Cloud7

Where does this money from the fine go? I hope that it doesn't go into the pockets of the FA, because, why on earth should they make a profit off of this?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Only one I'm miffed about is the Villa game, missing two cup ties isn't the worst, at least he's back for the Anfield clash.

Okey

I give up. Absolutely ridiculous, ludicrous punishment. Well done FA. Thou arth most righteous in thine indignation.

Tiber

Context or not, he plays in England for United and he shouldn't have said it. Simple as that.

Stupid post and I'm not surprised to see him get banned.

Silverman

Context or not, he plays in England for United and he shouldn't have said it. Simple as that.

Thats fair but WITH the context that is a too severe punishment. They should have said to him that type of language isn't suitable in England and educate him. He obviously meant absolutely no harm.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

You know this type of shit is way worse than anything he said. You actually expect a person to stop using his own dialect lest you get offended by it? fecking hell.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ridiculous punishment. Thankfully the games he misses aren't too bad. If those were three Premier League games that would be a huge miss.

lost7

2 of the 3 banned matches are cup games. I'm just glad he will be back and rested for Liverpool.
Yep and considering he was probably not gonna start against Villa after playing 90 minutes on Tuesday, the timing could have been worse tbh

Hughie77

Anyone think he wasn't getting a ban. It's just why has it taken so long. Out of the 3 games he most probably would have started against Watford. But not to have that option from the bench now as well. Well done FA .

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Despite it being silly given the context, I find it odd that the term is just accepted as being accepted there, to be honest. Just because it's the done thing there doesn't mean it's A ok does it?

stubie

Gives Troy Deeney the opportunity to go on the radio and have his 10 pence worth!