Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Then what is the rule? There is no law broken. Just random opinions made by a bunch of people over a social media post where there was no victim and no one was hurt.
To call it a generic rule applying to the whole country is a plain lie.
Edinson Cavani has been charged with misconduct for a breach of FA Rule E3 in relation to a social media post on Thursday 29 November 2020.

It is alleged that, contrary to FA Rule E3.1, a comment posted on the Manchester United FC player’s Instagram page was insulting and/or abusive and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.
I'm not entirely sure what your angle is here.

What generic rule is being applied to the whole country?

If needs explaining more fair enough.

Like anyone in the world they have to follow the rules, laws and customs of the country they're in.

With footballers, they have to follow the rules set out by the respective governing body of the country they play in.

Cavani broke one of the FAs rules, Cavani was punished, literally everyone has moved on bar a few butt hurt fans on the internet claiming social injustice.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So can Cavani use his own language the way he wants? Did the FA rule out the punishment because he wasn’t being racist? No? Then the FA is saying how he should talk to a friend. Simple as that.

It seems there is an FA rule that punishes latinos for using a spanish word even when it wasnt use in a derogatory or racist manner, so there must be something around that idea

Rules that punishes someone for doing nothing wrong? Yes, thats the point i’m trying to, make,

The custom of using the word negrito in a non derogatory or racist way is being punished. That’s what rhe FA and you don’t get. No one should be punished for doing something right.

And now that you talking about the laws and costumes of the land you are in, Wouldnt it matter to you if a gay english man goes to Irak and gets thrown out of a public building because those are the rules?
You know what? Your right. The FA have it in for Latinos and are running a discrete campaign to take away their language.

Alert the media. Unless they're in on it too.

RedDevilzFox

Its amazing how South American contingent on this site refuses to understand what was said on an International platform (who are cracking down on this sort of culture themselves) in a country where this sort of thing is frowned upon. No one is saying anything about Uruguay.

This is common sense stuff. Cavani doesn't like England or western sensibilities, no one is stopping him from going back to Uruguay.

FreddieTheReddie

Its amazing how South American contingent on this site refuses to understand what was said on an International platform (who are cracking down on this sort of culture themselves) in a country where this sort of thing is frowned upon. No one is saying anything about Uruguay.

This is common sense stuff. Cavani doesn't like England or western sensibilities, no one is stopping him from going back to Uruguay.
It has nothing to do with western sensibilities, he used a harmless word that just happens to be similar to an n word. If he said a similar word in Finnish or Swedish, noone would notice because those are not similar to negro or anything offensive in English. Main problem is that the Spanish word ‘negro’ is offensive in the UK or US while it only means a colour in Spanish.

RedDevilzFox

It has nothing to do with western sensibilities, he used a harmless word that just happens to be similar to an n word. If he said a similar word in Finnish or Swedish, noone would notice because those are not similar to negro or anything offensive in English. Main problem is that the Spanish word ‘negro’ is offensive in the UK or US while it only means a colour in Spanish.
That's basically what I said. If he'd said the same in Swahili hardly anyone would have batted an eye. That is obvious.

Doracle

I'm not entirely sure what your angle is here.

What generic rule is being applied to the whole country?

If needs explaining more fair enough.

Like anyone in the world they have to follow the rules, laws and customs of the country they're in.

With footballers, they have to follow the rules set out by the respective governing body of the country they play in.

Cavani broke one of the FAs rules, Cavani was punished, literally everyone has moved on bar a few butt hurt fans on the internet claiming social injustice.
Its nowhere near that simple. As you say, Rule E3 requires something to be insulting, abusive, improper or bring the game into disrepute. There is no established rule that says calling someone ”negrito” in a friendly way does any of those things. If you read the Suarez decision, the implication is that he’d have been in the clear had the tribunal accepted his language was intended to be conciliatory/friendly as he argued.

In context, its a massive stretch to say its insulting or abusive. I’d say to be “improper” it would need to be something unacceptable in that language - not the case here. So that leaves the very vague “disrepute” part but if there is nothing wrong with what he did in the context of the language he was speaking, then how can it possibly be considered to be bringing the game into disrepute?

Whilst it’s right in the current climate for the club not to want to challenge this, I am very interested to read the written decision here. At present, my view is that this is a throughly bad outcome, not consistent with what the rules are intended to cover.

Dante

Average bang

FFS. I knew it wouldn't be long before somebody came out with the old racist trope of 'even he doesn't like it here he can go back to where he came from'.

RedDevil@84

Cavani broke one of the FAs rules, Cavani was punished
No. He did not break any FA rule.

There is an FA rule that players should not bring the game into disrepute. There was no disrepute until the media/fans/pundits all associated the word Negrito told by Cavani to his friend, who was not offended by it, as equivalent to racial slur in English. It is not an English word, not told to a person who is English or knows only English. So interpreting it in English is plain stupid.

There is an FA rule not to racially abuse anyone. When it was very clear that neither the person who said it and the so called victim did not see any racial undertone, the FA unilaterally decided that there was a racial angle to this and charged him with it as well.

Yes, everyone has moved on. Only because the punishment is little and not worth fighting on for. Not because FA was right in its actions or the pundits calling for Cavani's head and preaching that he be sent to cultural assimilation classes were right in their verdicts.

Just don't keep coming up with "There was a crime and there was a punishment" because there was none.

kerryman

There is an FA rule that players should not bring the game into disrepute. There was no disrepute until the media/fans/pundits all associated the word Negrito told by Cavani to his friend, who was not offended by it, as equivalent to racial slur in English. It is not an English word, not told to a person who is English or knows only English. So interpreting it in English is plain stupid.

There is an FA rule not to racially abuse anyone. When it was very clear that neither the person who said it and the so called victim did not see any racial undertone, the FA unilaterally decided that there was a racial angle to this and charged him with it as well.

Yes, everyone has moved on. Only because the punishment is little and not worth fighting on for. Not because FA was right in its actions or the pundits calling for Cavani's head and preaching that he be sent to cultural assimilation classes were right in their verdicts.

Just don't keep coming up with "There was a crime and there was a punishment" because there was none.
Couldn't have said it better. 100% agree

stevoc

While the ban was harsh and as usual the rules suddenly change to give United players a harsher punishment compared to Bernardo Silva. But having said that to be honest if Cavani wasn't from Uruguay i'd be more inclined to be more sympathetic towards his mistake. In the last decade his international teammate got a ban while playing in England for using similar language. He must have heard about it at the time and was at least vaguely familiar with the details surrounding that incident. So he should have known better, maybe he forgot fir enough but even so referring to anyones skin colour publicly in this day and age leaves you open to accusations of racism even if it's not the case.

Negro isn't exclusive to skin colour. It is Spanish for the colour black. What alternatives will you provide to Spanish speakers who describe a black object to Hispanics on social media or should they remove it from their social media vocabulary?
If they're a professional footballer playing in England and referring to another person on social media then yeah they probably should remove it from their social media vocabulary, as it seems to lead to being banned for 3 games.

The word Black isn't exclusive to skin colour in English either, but i'd imagine if an English footballer posted a tweet even to a friend in a joking manner calling them a Black xyz then do you think they would get banned too?

Member 90887

Don't know if you intended it like that but this is some racist shit my friend. "if he doesn't like it, he can go back to where he came from..."

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Don't know if you intended it like that but this is some racist shit my friend. "if he doesn't like it, he can go back to where he came from..."
Besides, Cavani accepted the ban and didn't add fuel to the fire so why attack him like that ?

Very well said. In general, you will never win fight against racism (as the F.A claims to be doing) with P.R moves like this decision to punish him is.

Member 90887

While the ban was harsh and as usual the rules suddenly change to give United players a harsher punishment compared to Bernardo Silva. But having said that to be honest if Cavani wasn't from Uruguay i'd be more inclined to be more sympathetic towards his mistake. In the last decade his international teammate got a ban while playing in England for using similar language. He must have heard about it at the time and was at least vaguely familiar with the details surrounding that incident. So he should have known better, maybe he forgot fir enough but even so referring to anyones skin colour publicly in this day and age leaves you open to accusations of racism even if it's not the case.

If they're a professional footballer playing in England and referring to another person on social media then yeah they probably should remove it from their social media vocabulary, as it seems to lead to being banned for 3 games.

The word Black isn't exclusive to skin colour in English either, but i'd imagine if an English footballer posted a tweet even to a friend in a joking manner calling them a Black xyz then do you think they would get banned too?
Even you, as a united supporter, being familiar with that case, do not know why exactly he got suspended. It wasn't because of the use of the word. Context matters. I suggest you go read on why he was exactly suspended.

It's not up to the FA to police what people can say in their own language if it's not an offensive term. Telling people they can or can not use a term on their own private social media account because it's deemed offensive in English when it is not in their native language is by itself racists.

stevoc

Even you, as a united supporter, being familiar with that case, do not know why exactly he got suspended. It wasn't because of the use of the word. Context matters. I suggest you go read on why he was exactly suspended.

It's not up to the FA to police what people can say in their own language if it's not an offensive term. Telling people they can or can not use a term on their own private social media account because it's deemed offensive in English when it is not in their native language is by itself racists.
The exact details? No and i'm sure no one who wasn't involved does but as i said i am vaguely familiar with the details of the case and the language Suarez used which lead to his suspension, as i suspect is Cavani.

Context does matter, i'm not saying i agree it's a thing that should warrant a ban, but right now it does lead to a ban so it is what it is and thats the context that really does matter here. Cavani should have known better.

Member 90887

The exact details? No and i'm sure no one who wasn't involved does but as i said i am vaguely familiar with the details of the case and the language Suarez used which lead to his suspension, as i suspect is Cavani.

Context does matter, i'm not saying i agree it's a thing that should warrant a ban, but right now it does lead to a ban so it is what it is and thats the context that really does matter here. Cavani should have known better.
Actually, we have the entire judgment. Here's a thread detailing it if/when you have time to kill.

It wasn't the word by itself (not even the same word used) , but the context it was used in and the relationship between Suarez and Evra.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-evra-suarez-judgement.459198/

In the goalmouth, Mr Evra and Mr Suarez spoke to each other in Spanish. Mr Evra asked Mr Suarez why he had kicked him, referring to the foul five minutes previously. Mr Suarez replied "Porque tu eres negro", meaning "Because you are black". Mr Evra then said to Mr Suarez “say it to me again, I’m going to punch you”. Mr Suarez replied "No hablo con los negros", meaning "I don't speak to blacks". Mr Evra continued by saying that he now thought he was going to punch Mr Suarez. Mr Suarez replied "Dale, negro, negro, negro", which meant "okay, blackie, blackie, blackie".

Giggsyking

He should have known better. Words and actions in my home country should not be automatically acceptable in where I live now. It is common sense. His intentions was not harmful and that is the best thing. He will move on.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Quite enjoying the posters who are pretending that the word ‘negrito’ is this big offensive word in the UK when it doesn’t even mean anything over here.

Sparky Rhiwabon

From everything I have read the word can be used to cause offence in South America as well as in a endearing way.

Therefore South Americans are aware of how it can be taken
I assume it’s kind of like when people in the UK / US say to a mate “my n*gga”? Can be an offensive word but not in that context.

Last edited:

cyberman

He should have known better. Words and actions in my home country should not be automatically acceptable in where I live now. It is common sense. His intentions was not harmful and that is the best thing. He will move on.
The double standards here is staggering. It doesnt matter in his country, it matters in mine.
Staggering.
Lets not forget, this is FA nonsense. Dont let this charge lead you to believe they have judgement on what is acceptable in British society.

Last edited:

Icemav

Is it a racial slur, or have a racial connoctation in his own language and country?

What is the nearest approximate translation as it was used by Cavani?

Answerimg these should clarify whether the FA made the right decision or not.

Tibs

Why did Millwall get no punishment for their fans booing taking the knee?

Ranchero

It would have been a surprise if he did not get a ban. The Uruguayan ace used a Spanish slang term ('n' word) which makes reference to race to respond to a friend's wishes on Instagram, In the context of what was said online, however, it was not the worst offence of its kind, because it was not said in an aggressive manner, but there has to be education on what can and cannot be said in terms of this country.

Luis Suárez was banned for eight matches and fined £40,000 for using the same word in racially abusing Patrice Evra. Now the context here was that word was not said in anything other than an aggressive way. Saying the word in that context is racist abuse and I was surprised at the time that Cavani's Uruguay national side teammate did not have police knocking at his door as his behaviour was totally unacceptable.

Ultimately, a three match ban is probably fair in the context of Suarez.

Denis' cuff

and here we have it... tolerance in all its glory

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
United and Cavani have accepted the ban and moved on, it's time the Caf does. This debate is going round in circles, so we're closing it now.

BlueHaze

Probably the biggest joke I've seen in the history of football. They are basically saying hey, we know you are not racist but here ya go have a 3 game ban. Bunch of clueless idiots.

SuperiorXI

Glad that there are outside bodies putting pressure on the FA here.

The decision to punish Cavani was a disgrace.

How long until we see "he shouldn't of said it end of" posts???

matt23

Good for them. Genuinely, I think most people would have accepted the situation had the FA just reiterated their desire for that word not to be used.

I really don't understand the (English) FA's angle on this one. As far as I'm aware this was perhaps an opportunity for education and awareness, not punishment.

They deserve every bit of pushback they get.

MTF

Probably the biggest joke I've seen in the history of football. They are basically saying hey, we know you are not racist but here ya go have a 3 game ban. Bunch of clueless idiots.
And 100 thousand quid. Oh it might be the same as 100 quid to you and I, but it doesn't make it right for anyone to take 100 quid from you if you've done nothing wrong... you know, just as a warning...

SuperiorXI

And 100 thousand quid. Oh it might be the same as 100 quid to you and I, but it doesn't make it right for anyone to take 100 quid from you if you've done nothing wrong... you know, just as a warning...
Because of this the FA haven't just got egg on their faces, throw in the beans and fecking sausage as well.