Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
1) What does the person who retrieves and decrypts these messages get?

2) Give me clues

NB. I am not interested in a Kenwood juicer if that's involved.
I'm not sure, I haven't thought that far ahead yet, it's just a load of random gibberish so far. I will let you know when/if I decide.

There will be a juicer involved though.

OverratedOpinion

If i thought i was wining i wouldnt be here

We are losing against people that think their idea of the world is the only one and that they have the right not only to shove it up our throats, but also to punish us
You know that you could make the exact same argument if you came from a really violent place and beat someone up only to get arrested. "BUT, BUT, BUT it is my culture and you should not force yours down my throat".

He did something careless and hurtful to the people of the country that he has CHOSEN to come to and make millions. Unfortunately he has to accept the consequences.

Either way, take any beliefs out of it. He is earning millions of pounds to represent an enormous sporting brand who represents the FA. If he was some Uruguayan shop worker or builder then no one would even know about it but "sadly" for him he is in a profession that requires a degree of public professionalism.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think people think South America is a great example of race relations or something, of course everyone but people of significant African descent is saying this.

As a black man I would rather be in the Uk than many of these places, one poster said Uruguay is hugely influenced by African culture as if that even matters, so is US and so is the UK.
I wouldn't disagree with you on that.

There is massive inequality, it is structural and some sectors of the population are more affected by it. Speaking about Uruguay specifically, you are not going to see too many "successful"* black people.

I don't think racism is the fundamental problem though, let alone linguistics. It's anchored in how the population has evolved as a result of different "waves" of migration from various nationalities. Those national collectives tended to "support their own", it has feck all to do with skin colour, but Italians helping Italians, Basques, Jews, Catalans, Galicians, Poles, Turks, Armenians... and so on. It was primarily British immigrants that came out of their own free will in the second half of the 19th Century (to pretty much set up all the infrastructure businesses), the rest usually fled war, poverty or persecution.

Those collectives always had the power of a shared experience, a shared origin, business and diplomatic links for trade with their countries, they got organised around that with support from their homeland... E.g. you will find a British school, an Irish school, a German school, a French school, a Hebrew school.

For obvious reasons, you are never going to find an African school, or significant and effective external community-building support. It's not a level playing field but it's not you are being discriminated against, nor has it been deliberately designed to be so, but it's much harder, no doubt about that.

Not sure a football blog post is the place to delve into all that anyhow.

*i.e. leave out footballers, artists, and any other purely talent-based success.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You know that you could make the exact same argument if you came from a really violent place and beat someone up only to get arrested. "BUT, BUT, BUT it is my culture and you should not force yours down my throat".

He did something careless and hurtful to the people of the country that he has CHOSEN to come to and make millions. Unfortunately he has to accept the consequences.

Either way, take any beliefs out of it. He is earning millions of pounds to represent an enormous sporting brand who represents the FA. If he was some Uruguayan shop worker or builder then no one would even know about it but "sadly" for him he is in a profession that requires a degree of public professionalism.
Not 'requires' anymore, 'demands' it. And it's total not even a degree

Redlyn

It's not the club's responsibility at the end of the day, it rests with the individual. That also assumes that an individual is going to post something inflammatory or perceived as thus.

I've had to agree to a code of conduct in my profession re social media. I haven't been given any training on what not to post as it's implied in the wording. I could as Cavani did, post something innocent and non offensive but someone could take me to task because 'they' saw it as offensive.

It's riduculous
It's clearly a cultural gap not Cavani being malicious in any deliberate way. How does it hurt the club to help to bridge it? The club is the one suffering loss of the player for 3 matches, purely down to ignorance of the player. As Cavani is learning from it, the club can too. The fact that you didn't get any advise on social media use doesn't mean it has to be the same for everyone everywhere. Some specific circumstances call specific action, it's not one size fits all. We are not obliged to agree here, I just feel we should do something to minimise this type of issue in the future.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?

He saluted a friend the way he always does. That’s all he did. Then, people that want to make a scene about anything cried “Racist”, and all the “i’m less racist than thou” spirits started a bonfire.

Edit: and to be honest, in no way I’m thinking i’m going to change your mind. You are on the group of people that has a list of groups of people is uncool to offend and another list of groups of people that could be shat on, cause they are less important.

So ... feel free not to reply

Stactix

Same FA that cleared Wayne Hennessey for making a nazi salute *because he did not know who hitler was*

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
did he though? Most people aren’t that thin skinned. But Twitter users just love to ignore context and paint everything as an ism of some kind. The world is a shitty place, and theres a lot of idiots in it. But this isnt an example of that. If we hope to expect anyone else to value our culture and values we have to respect theirs. He’s here, he’s said something inappropriate. Instead of trying to burn him on a cross, accept that he is from a different culture that has different ways to communicate. Educating him, and others as to things that maybe considered offensive is the way to go. Not all this stupid drama.

Doracle

Same FA that cleared Wayne Hennessey for making a nazi salute *because he did not know who hitler was*
The FA prosecuted Hennessey. He was cleared by an independent panel not because he did not know who Hitler was but because they accepted his explanation that he was signalling a waiter, not making a Nazi salute.

The FA’s barrister in that case tried to argue that, even if Hennessey was signalling a waiter, then because it looked like a Nazi salute he should still be found guilty. Just think how unbelievably stupid that position is. The panel, of course, rejected that argument and said that the player’s intention has to be considered. The FA’s view, again shown in Cavani’s case, that intention is irrelevant is deeply troubling.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

lsd

The Oracle
Yes! You taught those infra human uruguayans how to speak.
And it was done the GREAT BRITAIN way!

Squashing a minor culture like the uruguayan almost pays for the loss of good old british racism!

First time i have ever been accused of being pro Britain :lol:

RUCK4444

Why is this still being argued about on here.

Yes Cavani is not a racist, however you can’t just say anything you want on social media, especially when you are a celebrity.

He didn’t mean to cause offence but he clearly did to those who weren’t aware of the context in which he was talking (to his friend and it being a common phrase in his homeland.) But that doesn’t matter, you need to be aware of what you can and can’t post online for everybody to read, especially when your a celebrity.

It’s done, nobody thinks he’s racist, move on.

Stacks

The FA prosecuted Hennessey. He was cleared by an independent panel not because he did not know who Hitler was but because they accepted his explanation that he was signalling a waiter, not making a Nazi salute.

The FA’s barrister in that case tried to argue that, even if Hennessey was signalling a waiter, then because it looked like a Nazi salute he should still be found guilty. Just think how unbelievably stupid that position is. The panel, of course, rejected that argument and said that the player’s intention has to be considered. The FA’s view, again shown in Cavani’s case, that intention is irrelevant is deeply troubling.
Insane if its true. That's doing too much

Stacks

Yes Cavani is not a racist, however you can’t just say anything you want on social media, especially when you are a celebrity.

He didn’t mean to cause offence but he clearly did to those who weren’t aware of the context in which he was talking (to his friend and it being a common phrase in his homeland.) But that doesn’t matter, you need to be aware of what you can and can’t post online for everybody to read, especially when your a celebrity.

Can Hispanics say the colour black on social media whilst writing someone in Spanish?

RUCK4444

Can Hispanics say the colour black on social media whilst writing someone in Spanish?
Why does he need to reference his skin colour?

Can people not understand that what you say in one country may be interpreted differently and offensively by people of other nations online?

The moment you reference skin colour, especially in the vague way he did, you leave it open to peoples interpretation of what you said.

The argument of having ones own customs and culture is not applicable when you say something on a multicultural platform.

Anustart89

Can people not understand that what you say in one country may be interpreted differently and offensively by people of other nations online?

The moment you reference skin colour, especially in the vague way he did, you leave it open to peoples interpretation of what you said.

The argument of having ones own customs and culture is not applicable when you say something on a multicultural platform.
He didn't though, the guy's white.

Amerifan

Happy with the ban.

The more ridiculous overreactions like this, the faster the guilty-until-proven-innocent witch hunts will end. Had this actually been posted with racist intent, a 3 game ban would be laughably short. This clearly wasn’t that, even in what passes for the minds of the FA.

Stacks

The moment you reference skin colour, especially in the vague way he did, you leave it to peoples interpretation of what you said.

Negro isn't exclusive to skin colour. It is Spanish for the colour black. What alternatives will you provide to Spanish speakers who describe a black object to Hispanics on social media or should they remove it from their social media vocabulary?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

This.

MTF

That's the most closed possible interpretation of what 'multicultural' even means, one where all actions and words are restricted to those that cause offense to no one at all in any possible circumstances, no room for explanation, debate, etc. It would make multiculturalism entirely worthless to the human experience.

Proper multiculturalism requires openness from those involved, to discover one another's culture, from the easily relatable and acceptable to the unusual and potentially debatable. But simple punishment for perceived transgressions that have no malice and caused no harm is the opposite of open.

MTF

Then why is he punished?! He is not racist, the word is not racist, the phrase is not racist. This is just like a sacrifice in the name of appearances, but it is the furthest thing from justice.

George Owen

Negro isn't exclusive to skin colour. It is Spanish for the colour black. What alternatives will you provide to Spanish speakers who describe a black object to Hispanics on social media or should they remove it from their social media vocabulary?
Saying something is colour black is not the same as calling someone black.

I know that wasn't a racist comment, but the FA has to act anyway. They have no choice. Otherwise, any future offence can be disregarded as a misinterpretation of intent.

I'm from South America too, and when I'm travelling in the US, or anywhere where I know it might be misunderstood for abusive language, I avoid saying the word negro when in public. Common sense.

MTF

I know that wasn't a racist comment, but the FA has to act anyway. They have no choice. Otherwise, any future offence can be disregarded as a misinterpretation of intent.

I'm from South America too, and when I'm travelling in the US, or anywhere were I know it might be misunderstood for abusive language, I avoid saying the word negro when in public. Common sense.
This is not how anything should work. Every event can and should be judged individually.

Moiraine

And Terry was left unpunished for calling Anton “you f b cnut” ....

George Owen

This is not how anything should work. Every event can and should be judged individually.
I think it did, and that's why he got the minimum punishment. A slap in the wrist that serves as message ("common sense ffs") to the clubs and the rest of the players.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
First time i have ever been accused of being pro Britain :lol:
Maybe is the first time you are acting like a pro britain. And as with Cavani, what you said is pro old racist britain, i don’t care if you are not. You are in a multicultural platform which, apparently, is enough to label you the way i see fit.

MTF

I think it did, and that's why he got the minimum punishment. A slap in the wrist that serves as message ("common sense ffs") to the clubs and the rest of the players.
No, no punishment is the correct decision. "Common sense ffs" isn't a valid line of accusation. Justice is not about sending messages, that's how authoritarians think.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
A slap in the wrist in the name of “racism” for saying something not racist to a friend.

You should get the minimum punishment for doing nothing wrong, and lets see if you take it as lightly

Stacks

I'm from South America too, and when I'm travelling in the US, or anywhere where I know it might be misunderstood for abusive language, I avoid saying the word negro when in public. Common sense.
That's funny because the US has a huge Latin community who speak Spanish freely and even use that word in songs so I don't know who told you cannot in the USA. There are some parts of Cali where Spanish is dominant language

George Owen

That's funny because the US has a huge Latin community who speak Spanish freely and even use that word in songs so I don't know who told you cannot in the USA. There are some parts of Cali where Spanish is dominant language
Jesus, you guys are insufferable. :lol:

NYC, dude, in the subway, for example. Or a South Carolina beach.

key part of the post that went past your head:
"or anywhere where I know it might be misunderstood for abusive language "

RedBanker

I love you Ole

Wow..I will try this at a restaurant this weekend and see how it goes.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So go change the crap aspects of your culture and let the uruguayans be
And btw, one of the actual crap aspects of your culture is thinking that you have a say on how other cultures should act
Literally no one is saying Uruguayan culture needs to be changed.

Is there a campaign from the FA/FIFA to stop Latinos using the word on social media across the world? No?

Was it just the FA enforcing it's rules for a player registered in England? Yes?

Then what's the problem? No one's saying Uruguayan culture is right or wrong or needs to be changed or any of that, but Cavani simply has to abide by the rules and laws of the country he plays in, and follow the customs. Simple as that, he's not above the rules because customs are different in his home country. The world literally doesn't work like that. If Dan James went to play in Uruguay, he'd have to follow the rules, laws and customs of Uruguay and if he broke them, regardless of intent, he'd have to face the consequence and move on.

How this is still being debated is beyond me.

rollingstoned1

this is a shit straw man and an attempt at false equivalence that i'm not sure even you really believe.

RedDevil@84

No one's saying Uruguayan culture is right or wrong or needs to be changed or any of that, but Cavani simply has to abide by the rules and laws of the country he plays in, and follow the customs
UK is for English speakers only rule?

RedDevil@84

What a stretch.
Then what is the rule? There is no law broken. Just random opinions made by a bunch of people over a social media post where there was no victim and no one was hurt.
To call it a generic rule applying to the whole country is a plain lie.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Literally no one is saying Uruguayan culture needs to be changed.
So can Cavani use his own language the way he wants? Did the FA rule out the punishment because he wasn’t being racist? No? Then the FA is saying how he should talk to a friend. Simple as that.

Is there a campaign from the FA/FIFA to stop Latinos using the word on social media across the world? No?
It seems there is an FA rule that punishes latinos for using a spanish word even when it wasnt use in a derogatory or racist manner, so there must be something around that idea

Was it just the FA enforcing it's rules for a player registered in England? Yes?
Rules that punishes someone for doing nothing wrong? Yes, thats the point i’m trying to, make,

Then what's the problem? No one's saying Uruguayan culture is right or wrong or needs to be changed or any of that, but Cavani simply has to abide by the rules and laws of the country he plays in, and follow the customs. Simple as that, he's not above the rules because customs are different in his home country. The world literally doesn't work like that. If Dan James went to play in Uruguay, he'd have to follow the rules, laws and customs of Uruguay and if he broke them, regardless of intent, he'd have to face the consequence and move on.

How this is still being debated is beyond me.
The custom of using the word negrito in a non derogatory or racist way is being punished. That’s what rhe FA and you don’t get. No one should be punished for doing something right.

And now that you talking about the laws and costumes of the land you are in, Wouldnt it matter to you if a gay english man goes to Irak and gets thrown out of a public building because those are the rules?