Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Let's not pretend other cultures do not have kinks of their own. I don't know south american culture that well, but if you dug deep enough you will find something that's considered offensive in SA but normal in England.
This is how it is around the world.
Yes, but even us, underdeveloped creatures recognize the fact that different cultures may have different rules, and if so, the judge has to apply them, unless they are against basic human rights.

RedDevilzFox

Yes, but even us, underdeveloped creatures recognize the fact that different cultures may have different rules, and if so, the judge has to apply them, unless they are against basic human rights.
This is funny given the region over the decades has been ruled by various tyrants.

Righteous Steps

No idea why people keep insisting its a term of endearment in South America. England is not South America. What happened to "when in rome".

Being homosexual maybe be normal in England but in some countries you get thrown off the buildings. Get it?
I think people think South America is a great example of race relations or something, of course everyone but people of significant African descent is saying this.

As a black man I would rather be in the Uk than many of these places, one poster said Uruguay is hugely influenced by African culture as if that even matters, so is US and so is the UK.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No idea why people keep insisting its a term of endearment in South America. England is not South America. What happened to "when in rome".

Being homosexual maybe be normal in England but in some countries you get thrown off the buildings. Get it?
It's not quite this easy is it though pal.
It's not like he's said the "n" word we all understand in England.

Negrito isn't an English word - 99% of people wouldn't have ever heard it before the Suarez debacle (though ironically it panned out that word hadn't been used anyway!)

It's a strange scenario where we're telling a south American guy he can't use a Spanish word that has pretty much zero use in England.

FreddieTheReddie

I wonder what would happen if Cavani or someone else replied to (for example) his wife’s story showing her new hair style with a comment like ‘pretty negro hair’? Five ganes ban because he used the word negro which is even worse?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
During the war, Stalin discussed with Marshal Zhukov the plans for a new offensive. "What do you think, comrade Zhukov, what direction should we choose for the attack?"
"West, comrade Stalin."
"Go and think, comrade Zhukov!"
As Zhukov walked out, he muttered, "What a pig!"

Stalin's secretary Poskrebyshev overheard the Marshal and reported to Stalin. Zhukov was ordered back to Stalin's office.
"Whom did you have in mind when you said 'What a pig?' Stalin asked.
"Of course, I meant Hitler," Zhukov said.

"Then whom did you have in mind, comrade Poskrebyshev?" Stalin said.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I wonder what would happen if Cavani or someone else replied to (for example) his wife’s story showing her new hair style with a comment like ‘pretty negro hair’? Five ganes ban because he used the word negro which is even worse?
You'd be using the word for the sake of using the word and punishment would be be deserved frankly. That sentence means different things in different cultures, and in the UK it would be seen offensive. It's that simple.

FreddieTheReddie

You'd be using the word for the sake of using the word and punishment would be be deserved frankly. That sentence means different things in different cultures, and in the UK it would be seen offensive. It's that simple.
The comment would be in Spanish, I’m lazy to translate but he would just use negro in the original meaning. Is that offensive?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
So ... if i buy a black pencil and I want to tell it to another guy in spanish i should tell him that i bought a pencil that is not white, nor red or brown or blue or green or yellow or maroon or magenta or orange or cream or ...

That’s how stupid the FA and the ones agreeing with it are
What an awful analogy.

lsd

The Oracle
I take it people will still be moaning about this when his ban is up.

It happened he was banned everyone else has accepted it it's over

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
The comment would be in Spanish, I’m lazy to translate but he would just use negro in the original meaning. Is that offensive?
Not the "point" you were trying to make though is it? One is using the word negro for the sake of using the word negro, whereas the other is speaking a different language in which negro is the appropriate word to use.

One would be seen as offensive and potentially racist, while the other would not.

Laziness in subjects like this are a reflection of character, by the way.

FreddieTheReddie

Not the "point" you were trying to make though is it? One is using the word negro for the sake of using the word negro, whereas the other is speaking a different language in which negro is the appropriate word to use.

One would be seen as offensive and potentially racist, while the other would not.

Laziness in subjects like this are a reflection of character, by the way.
I find your last sentence offensive.

OverratedOpinion

Why? It seems to me that in english culture there are spanish words that spaniards can’t use. Like the word “negro”. There’s no care on context and that’s why Cavani has been punished.
Young black guys in America regularly use a certain word as a term of endearment. Unfortunately if we had signed Jozy Altidore or Freddy Adu and they were representing one of the largest sporting brands on the planet then proceeded to use that word on social media then that would be absolutely stupid and warrant a proper apology to people who were offended. This is not about cancel culture, it is about professionalism.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I take it people will still be moaning about this when his ban is up.

It happened he was banned everyone else has accepted it it's over
Yes! You taught those infra human uruguayans how to speak.
And it was done the GREAT BRITAIN way!

Squashing a minor culture like the uruguayan almost pays for the loss of good old british racism!

FreddieTheReddie

Young black guys in America regularly use a certain word as a term of endearment. Unfortunately if we had signed Jozy Altidore or Freddy Adu and they were representing one of the largest sporting brands on the planet then proceeded to use that word on social media then that would be absolutely stupid and warrant a proper apology to people who were offended. This is not about cancel culture, it is about professionalism.
That’s not the same. Negro in Spanish means black colour. Nothing to do with race.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
If people get offended by something that wasnt derogatory and was not even meant to them is their problem. FA are not the rulers of the languages around the world.

OverratedOpinion

That’s not the same. Negro in Spanish means black colour. Nothing to do with race.
It has had large scale examples including with his national strike partner for the last 10 years which have shown that people see it the same way (not quite as bad I suppose) he can not feign ignorance and simply say "I only used it to say the word black" plenty of examples to show it is unacceptable.

He is a cracking player and probably a thoroughly decent man but expecting famous people to be a little careful with their words whilst using the platform that they are very lucky to have is not too much to ask.

OverratedOpinion

If people get offended by something that wasnt derogatory and was not even meant to them is their problem. FA are not the rulers of the languages around the world.
No which is why it is lucky that they have only punished the conduct in the scope of their competitions and not tried to arrest them.

As far as your first point, it is just really petty when it clearly upsets people who have experienced incredibly unfair treatment already, it is not the first time it has happened, it totally makes sense that people get upset due to the stark similarity of the words. It is basically being an arsehole for the sake of being an arsehole.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
No which is why it is lucky that they have only punished the conduct in the scope of their competitions and not tried to arrest them.

As far as your first point, it is just really petty when it clearly upsets people who have experienced incredibly unfair treatment already, it is not the first time it has happened, it totally makes sense that people get upset due to the stark similarity of the words. It is basically being an arsehole for the sake of being an arsehole.
Oooh another britt giving a lesson on kindness

Save it

OverratedOpinion

“Human decency” is the name of your high horse? The one you ride to tell lesser beings how their culture is wrong and yours is right?
A culture has billions of aspects, thousands of words, millions of people.

Every single culture that has ever existed had shitty aspects big or small, pointing them out when it is obvious how they effect others regardless if it is your culture or not is not sitting on a high horse. Me pointing out an aspect of a culture that is crap even if it is just a word that has clearly become offensive due to the appropriation and evolution of it in a horrendous situation over hundreds of years is not me saying that my culture is superior, there are plenty of crap aspects to my culture too.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
A culture has billions of aspects, thousands of words, millions of people.

Every single culture that has ever existed had shitty aspects big or small, pointing them out when it is obvious how they effect others regardless if it is your culture or not is not sitting on a high horse. Me pointing out an aspect of a culture that is crap even if it is just a word that has clearly become offensive due to the appropriation and evolution of it in a horrendous situation over hundreds of years is not me saying that my culture is superior, there are plenty of crap aspects to my culture too.
So go change the crap aspects of your culture and let the uruguayans be
And btw, one of the actual crap aspects of your culture is thinking that you have a say on how other cultures should act

Redlyn

I don't blame Cavani at all he couldn't possibly be aware he said something wrong when he was using standard expressions in his native language. Now he knows not to use that ever in public while he plays in England.

But I do blame the club slightly. I wonder why new arrivals, especially Latinos aren't briefed on these things. There should be some orientation on this type of stuff when you join the club, and these type of words should be at the top of the PowerPoint just so at least there is awareness. Unless there was and it was a slip by him.

OverratedOpinion

So go change the crap aspects of your culture and let the uruguayans be
And btw, one of the actual crap aspects of your culture is thinking that you have a say on how other cultures should act
I am not going to change any aspect of any culture, I am not a politician. I will use one of the good aspects of a lot of cultures to point out when someone is needlessly being an arsehole and making people feel like crap. You keep doing the same thing and thinking that you are winning in some way, it is really cool.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I am not going to change the aspect of any culture, I am not a politician. I will use one of the good aspects of a lot of cultures to point out when someone is needlessly being an arsehole and making people feel like crap. You keep doing the same thing and thinking that you are winning in some way, it is really cool.
If i thought i was wining i wouldnt be here

We are losing against people that think their idea of the world is the only one and that they have the right not only to shove it up our throats, but also to punish us

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't blame Cavani at all he couldn't possibly be aware he said something wrong when he was using standard expressions in his native language. Now he knows not to use that ever in public while he plays in England.

But I do blame the club slightly. I wonder why new arrivals, especially Latinos aren't briefed on these things. There should be some orientation on this type of stuff when you join the club, and these type of words should be at the top of the PowerPoint just so at least there is awareness. Unless there was and it was a slip by him.
It's not the club's responsibility at the end of the day, it rests with the individual. That also assumes that an individual is going to post something inflammatory or perceived as thus.

I've had to agree to a code of conduct in my profession re social media. I haven't been given any training on what not to post as it's implied in the wording. I could as Cavani did, post something innocent and non offensive but someone could take me to task because 'they' saw it as offensive.

It's riduculous