Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

RyRoc

Signed up to vent as a Uruguayan. Who the feck are these FA clowns to decide how two Uruguayan friends should communicate to each other using their own cultural context and language (whether it is on social media or not). If anyone is racist it’s these cnuts. Uruguay is a country with a proud Afro descendant history. Our most traditional cultural music and dance (Candombe) is directly descended from African roots. Our culture has been built by decades of Afro descendants and white people getting along in harmony and coming together to celebrate our way of life and country. We have a proud history of African descendants whom have contributed immensely to our history and are celebrated in our culture, music, stories and literature.

The word Negrito has been used as a term of endearment for decades and it comes from history of our white and black people proudly getting along. The word has been ever so present in our culture that it has become a friendly term and it has no racial or colour connotations at all. It is a term used by all to express affection. Clowns thinking they have the moral superiority over the world. Cavani is a good honourable man but I do hope somehow and in some way these FA clowns are sued for cultural discrimination. Uruguay was one of the first countries ever to have black players along with white playing together. One of the first countries ever to abolish slavery and have women and black voters, our national team is nicknamed after out indigenous race pfft what these clowns in suits know about culture and racism.
Great post and fantastic to hear from someone actually living in Uruguay. The only thing I will say is that I remember seeing a report from back when this happened that said there are some black Uruguayans who feel uncomfortable with this word being said and want to try and root it out.

Red_toad

No idea why people are upset? Did they expect anything else from the FA. It was always going to happen, he’s a United player so has to be made an example of.

MileStolar

They call that a punishment?? He should be stripped down and made to make a walk of shame throughout the city and end up on gallows. The fa lacks cojones.

fps

Great post and fantastic to hear from someone actually living in Uruguay. The only thing I will say is that I remember seeing a report from back when this happened that said there are some black Uruguayans who feel uncomfortable with this word being said and want to try and root it out.
A lot of the time “It’s fine, no one’s got a problem with it” is in fact covering up that some very powerless/ignored people do have a problem with it.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Slightly off topic , but I disagree with the notion that just because it was said to a white person it can’t be racist. I remember at school there were these two white girls who used to greet each other saying ‘what up my n**ga’ and remember feeling extremely uncomfortable every time they did it even though I don’t believe they did it go be racist but it could easily come across that way.
Thing is, the word used by Cavani isn't the same word you're referring to.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Signed up to vent as a Uruguayan. Who the feck are these FA clowns to decide how two Uruguayan friends should communicate to each other using their own cultural context and language (whether it is on social media or not). If anyone is racist it’s these cnuts. Uruguay is a country with a proud Afro descendant history. Our most traditional cultural music and dance (Candombe) is directly descended from African roots. Our culture has been built by decades of Afro descendants and white people getting along in harmony and coming together to celebrate our way of life and country. We have a proud history of African descendants whom have contributed immensely to our history and are celebrated in our culture, music, stories and literature.

The word Negrito has been used as a term of endearment for decades and it comes from history of our white and black people proudly getting along. The word has been ever so present in our culture that it has become a friendly term and it has no racial or colour connotations at all. It is a term used by all to express affection. Clowns thinking they have the moral superiority over the world. Cavani is a good honourable man but I do hope somehow and in some way these FA clowns are sued for cultural discrimination. Uruguay was one of the first countries ever to have black players along with white playing together. One of the first countries ever to abolish slavery and have women and black voters, our national team is nicknamed after out indigenous race pfft what these clowns in suits know about culture and racism.
Super post

rooney2009

Like I’ve said before there is no justification for saying that word in the UK
He was always going to get a minimum 3-match ban and I would have been disappointed if He didn’t get any ban
You do not go to Dubai or any Muslim country and drink Alcohol publicly
You have to respect the rule and laws of the courthouse work and reside in
Ignorance is not an excuse
Let’s move on and stop trying to justify this because he is a united player

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He was always going to get a minimum 3-match ban and I would have been disappointed if He didn’t get any ban
When did the word 'negrito' become a huge deal in the UK? I'd never heard of it before the Suarez incident. Its not even an English word.

The obvious ugly word it sounds like fair enough.

Manya.para.siempre

A lot of the time “It’s fine, no one’s got a problem with it” is in fact covering up that some very powerless/ignored people do have a problem with it.
Link me the report I’ve never heard of this.

Cavani didn’t act in a racist way, so what exactly is this ban and fine for? For using a word that doesn’t even have a direct English translation?

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

And how long do you think it would take the club to De brief him on all cultures across the globe? He'd have to read a encyclopaedia before he could play for the club and remember everything in it.
Just UK culture because this is where he is playing!

Your argument seems a little silly to be honest. Considering that the word he used has been used before in the UK and punished by the FA. One incident actually included our club. It is hardly a completely unpredictable, one in a million event FFS.

Doracle

Your argument seems a little silly to be honest. Considering that the word he used has been used before in the UK and punished by the FA. One incident actually included our club. It is hardly a completely unpredictable, one in a million event FFS.
I’ve already responded to your last post to explain that this is inaccurate. I suggest you read the Suarez judgment, as currently you are posting stuff which is fundamentally wrong.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Negro, is the word Evra was subjected to.
Negrito, is the word Suarez used to justify being a racist.

One is a word which can be used for racist intentions, the other has no direct translation to the English language, the FA themselves said Negrito wasn't racist during the Suarez/Evra incident.

This is the problem with Cavani accepting this ruling, is people will paint him with the same brush as Suarez, I understand why United and Cavani are accepting this, but this is slander and will mark Cavani as a racist well beyond his playing days.

RyRoc

Stacks

To save everyone the trouble Ander apparently said, "If they ban you for that. The world is going to shit. Big hugs and stay strong Edi."
He's right. It is an absolutely atrocious decision. For all of the "the FA had no choice" nonsense, of course they did. They've banned someone for using racist language when there was absolutely nothing racist about it whatsoever.

The offence here is using language that someone else has used in a racist way. It's absolutely ludicrous.
Cavani also stated that he accepts the sanction but "does not share the point of view" so he feels he has done nothing wrong. I don't see what the "education" thing is supposed to do.

keithsingleton

And you think UK culture can be found on one page? Think your the one talking silly FFS as you call it.

Fluctuation0161

I’ve already responded to your last post to explain that this is inaccurate. I suggest you read the Suarez judgment, as currently you are posting stuff which is fundamentally wrong.
I appreciate the negrito word splashed over the UK media was a Liverpool PR campaign. That doesn't change the fact that the word is in the UK public awareness and our club has had direct exposure to the word. Therefore our briefing and induction to new players should cover this fact and advise that they avoid the word! It is basic stuff and a big error in our clubs induction for Cavani.

So fundamentally, the point remains the same.

arthurka

Face to face education? :lol: What the hell, this is so stupid.
Why isn't that something they do when you sign players? Not even the English understand these rules so why the feck should others?

MTF

I appreciate the negrito word splashed over the UK media was a Liverpool PR campaign. That doesn't change the fact that the word is in the UK public awareness and our club has had direct exposure to the word. Therefore our briefing and induction to new players should cover this fact and advise that they avoid the word! It is basic stuff and a big error in our clubs induction for Cavani.

Can you write a manual of all the words and phrases, in every single language in the world, for all incoming players of any nationality to know not to use in the UK? Of course you can't and no one can, which is why it is completely unrealistic.

Doracle

Well, one could easily say that the fact Liverpool‘s PR campaign was based on the word “negrito” was because that word is not racist, offensive or improper. Their entire defence was based on Suarez not intending offence. That said, I don’t disagree that it would be sensible for the club to give a briefing on this type of issue and I’m sure they will going forwards. Where I disagree is that it was appropriate for Cavani to be punished for something which, by most accounts, is not offensive or improper in his own language.

gazbradley

Think both the club and cavani have handled this incredibly well. I really hope there isn’t any lasting damage done to the players reputation from this, when idiots like Troy deeney go on live radio and spout nonsense and condemn him without fully educating themselves on cultural differences and context, I can easily see opposition fans just assuming he’s a racist

keithsingleton

Can you write a manual of all the words and phrases, in every single language in the world, for all incoming players of any nationality to know not to use in the UK? Of course you can't and no one can, which is why it is completely unrealistic.
He can do it on one page, didn't you know. :lol:

DoomSlayer

The FA are basically censoring and unjustly punishing a player, without taking a look at all the facts on the table. A big fine, banned from doing his job and also tarnished as being "racist" in effect, which could ruin a player's image and future career.

I don't know how they are allowed to do stuff like that, is it linked to the image rights that clubs and players negotiate for when signing a contract? This would not stand in any normal and just court system, the accusations have no real proof to them.

Fluctuation0161

I've just gone over your head.
I think you give yourself too much credit. :)

First you say we can't brief new players on "all cultures across the globe", now you are saying even only briefing them on UK culture is too much.

Even just some words or phrases that are best avoided in the UK?

You have changed your weak argument to another even weaker one, well done.

Fluctuation0161

Well, one could easily say that the fact Liverpool‘s PR campaign was based on the word “negrito” was because that word is not racist, offensive or improper. Their entire defence was based on Suarez not intending offence. That said, I don’t disagree that it would be sensible for the club to give a briefing on this type of issue and I’m sure they will going forwards. Where I disagree is that it was appropriate for Cavani to be punished for something which, by most accounts, is not offensive or improper in his own language.
I see your point. I am not endorsing the FA's decision. I think it is yet again, inconsistent (didn't Bernando Silva get a 1 match ban and £50k fine, for something worse?) and the timing seems designed to make an example out of United because we are the biggest club in the league. E.g Rio ban length, Rooney red card for swearing at camera.

My thought process is, knowing the FA love to make examples out of our players, as a club how can we avoid this in the future... I think having a good induction/briefing on these topics as part of media training for new players is vital.

keithsingleton

I think you give yourself too much credit. :)

First you say we can't brief new players on "all cultures across the globe", now you are saying even only briefing them on UK culture is too much.

Even just some words or phrases that are best avoided in the UK?

You have changed your weak argument to another even weaker one, well done.
No... Your twisting my words but whatever floats your boat. I've no time for argumented morons like yourself.

jem

So if a British player playing in Saudi Arabia made some frivolous Insta post calling Messi God (something that would undoubtedly be frowned upon in that country), you would be disappointed if said player didn't receive a ban?

Last edited:

Mindhunter

So if a British player playing in Saudi Arabia made some frivolous Insta post calling Messi God (something that would undoubtedly be frowned upon in that country), you would be disappointed if said player didn't receive a ban?
You are being disingenuous with your analogy. It doesn't apply. Cavani used the word while playing in England, for an English team, with largely English speaking viewers. The FA will always take that into account. More than punishing the intention of usage, the FA wants to create a deterrence for players to err on the side of caution because even a small infraction will cause massive damage to the league's reputation and business prospects.

With that in mind, Cavani was always going to get punished for the simple fact that it is an unwelcome word in England and for English speaking audiences. Now you may keep arguing how it is unfair on him (which it is), but this is one of those things you take on your chin and move on. It sucks for us but letting it go would also not be the best way to deal with it.

rooney2009

Yep if I was Saudi Arabian and if you called Messi God in S/A you are going to jail mate

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It really feels like an attack on the culture doesn't it
I don't see it as such. Every man and his dog knows the FA are off their rocker, so is the English press and, by extension I'm afraid, most of the UKs population.

I couldn't care less what they say, fine or ban, I'll carry on calling my brother Negro. Only use negrito with a couple of mates, used to use it a lot more with ladies but I'm a married man now so that's out of the window.

jem

You are being disingenuous with your analogy. It doesn't apply. Cavani used the word while playing in England, for an English team, with largely English speaking viewers. The FA will always take that into account. More than punishing the intention of usage, the FA wants to create a deterrence for players to err on the side of caution because even a small infraction will cause massive damage to the league's reputation and business prospects.

With that in mind, Cavani was always going to get punished for the simple fact that it is an unwelcome word in England and for English speaking audiences. Now you may keep arguing how it is unfair on him (which it is), but this is one of those things you take on your chin and move on. It sucks for us but letting it go would also not be the best way to deal with it.
And you've missed my point - the poster I was responding to said they would be disappointed if Cavani hadn't been punished; the obvious inference being that said poster felt Cavani had made some kind of ethical breach (even though it is fairly obvious that it was an innocent mistake), and that by failing to address it, the FA would be dealing a damaging blow in the fight against racism. And it being an unwelcome word in England is a bit weird, given that it is a Spanish word that hardly has everyday currency in England (unlike the similar-sounding, and obvious unacceptable 'N' word.)

I think the FA could have easily avoided 'letting it go' by issuing a stern reminder of player duties to Cavan, and you can be sure he wouldn't have repeated the mistake. The fact that this same FA chose not to punish Millwall for the clearly intentional, and racist, actions of its fans but chose to punish Cavani in this way is not right in my opinion.