Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

Davie Moyes

Ruud surely? Seen him score all kinds of crazy headers.
Not for me. Ruud was fairly decent in the air but nothing overly special. Cavani is up there with the best I've seen for Utd.

In fact I'm surprised it's not been mentioned more often so it's an under rated part of his game. I think he's lethal in the air more so than with his feet. I mean how many players could score that stooped header v Southampton.

Barnslig

I was one of the ones underwhelmed by his signing at the time. I had doubts about his fitness, and while he has been injured for a little bit, still far less than I anticipated. He's performed well, and having now watched a lot more of him I must say he is absolutely lethal, give the man a split second and he'll be there to punish you for it. Credit to him and Ole for managing him well, and keep him fit and firing for most of the season.

Hope he stays for another season, would enjoy seeing him bang them in front of a crowd, has won me over.

lex talionis

So many great posts here about Cavani. I’ll just add my two cents that his focus and intensity are fantastic and that more than any other player on this squad he would have been a regular starter for either the 99 or 08 squads. Not Pogba, not Bruno, not De Gea.

The Oracle

I've said it before, and I will say it again...

Cavani is the only player we have who provides an aerial threat in the box.

If he goes, so do our headed goals.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He is more than a goalscorer. The link up he does with our attackers is invaluable too.
Absolutely. Even if his time here is brief, I feel lucky to have seen him in our shirt as part of our team. Just how complete he is has surprised me though.

RedIan

I commented early in the thread that he was a hit and wow, how he has pushed on since. I did wonder if he would have lost a yard of pace or his quick thinking. He hasnt. He is so intelligent with his positioning and movement in the box, a superb shot/finisher and an amazing header of the ball.
there is at least another season in him, hope he decides to stay.

pacifictheme

Had high hopes when we got him and after a slow start for various reasons he has been brilliant. Really hope he stays.

A-man

He’s been great lately, scored in his last 5 games. If we look at the whole season he was average the first half imo. We should do what we can to keep him but that should not stop us from getting a new striker next season. We need someone who can score 20+ league goals.

GueRed

He's showing what we have missed since Rooney and prime Van Persie days.

More than just a top goalscorer.

Agressive, always on the move and a good team player.

GueRed

He’s been great lately, scored in his last 5 games. If we look at the whole season he was average the first half imo. We should do what we can to keep him but that should not stop us from getting a new striker next season. We need someone who can score 20+ league goals.
I doubt it.

#Glazernomics

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Average is harsh. He got some
very important goals early on in the season. And had a few excellent performances. His form only really dipped after he was out injured. At his age it’s harder to hit the ground running after a while out of the team. Plus he got a load of completely unjustified criticism after, shock horror, failing to convert every decent chance that came his way and that damaged his perception too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I guess they never miss, huh

very important goals early on in the season. And had a few excellent performances. His form only really dipped after he was out injured. At his age it’s harder to hit the ground running after a while out of the team.
he made far more of an impact from the bench in the first half of the season. I think fitness was a challenge. He’s fitter now.

Mike Smalling

Should have scored his first two chances yesterday. Not good enough.

On a serious note, what a fecking player. Not just his movement, finishing and hold-up play, but his general attitude and approach to the game. Absolute warrior.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
he made far more of an impact from the bench in the first half of the season. I think fitness was a challenge. He’s fitter now.
Agreed. Although he did have some very good 90 minute performances early on. As well as the injury I wonder if his form dipped a bit when the weather was at its worst? The shitty weather has been mentioned a few times regarding his uncertainty about staying in Manchester.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
14 goals + 5 assists in 1834 mins.

96 mins per G+A
131 mins per goal.

He came to PL barely playing football for 6 months, took some time to build match fitness and still his record is so good.

Hopefully he stays for at least one more season. His work rate is unreal and our young players should watch him and learn, he never stops running.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m changing mine from a definite miss to a hit. He’s been brilliant this past month and we may have struggled without him. That month alone is well worthy of him being a hit. He’s got us to a final.....now go win it for us.

He and Bruno. Proper reds. Makes the likes of Rashford and Martial and Greenwood look like a shade of milky tea. Diluted.
Is it some kind of RedCafe rule that you can't say something nice about one player without having an utterly unnecessary potshot at another?

Rashford has been better than Cavani over the season.

Haddock

So many great posts here about Cavani. I’ll just add my two cents that his focus and intensity are fantastic and that more than any other player on this squad he would have been a regular starter for either the 99 or 08 squads. Not Pogba, not Bruno, not De Gea.
A point I made in the Bruno thread comparing him to Pogba and it applies more to Cavani. He knows more than anyone how hard it is to win. He has won plenty but also lost Coppa Italia finals, league titles and been on the pitch in two of the biggest bottle jobs in CL history.

Manncunian

He is an asset now because he is fit and found his touch which he was not when I made the original post but it is good to know that you will post when he has one of his good games :lol: :lol:
Very good trying to make out his good games are a rarity. You can’t escape the fact this thread is rather humiliating for you.

A-man

I doubt it.

#Glazernomics
I fear you’re right :(

very important goals early on in the season. And had a few excellent performances. His form only really dipped after he was out injured. At his age it’s harder to hit the ground running after a while out of the team. Plus he got a load of completely unjustified criticism after, shock horror, failing to convert every decent chance that came his way and that damaged his perception too.
Average was harsh, agree. I was comparing to top scorers like Kane and Salah, which is the level I think we need, and the level Cavani has been at before.

Alfie092

What a signing considering he was on a free!

Finishing with both feet, hold up play, movement, workmate, attitude on and off the pitch and what is most impressive is his phenomenal heading ability! You know if you play the ball to his head then 9 times out of 10 then ball is in the back of the net. Proper number 9 who we have't had since RvP! I loved Zlatan but even though Cavani has scored less goals, Cavani suits us much more with our style of play.

Wish we signed him 5/6 years years ago but doubt at that time he was willing to leave PSG. Now we have him we should enjoy him while he is here. Really hoping he signs a new 1 year contract with an option for a further year :drool:

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I posted on here a month or so ago that his contribution has been slightly overrated due to us not being used to seeing a no.9 do the basic no.9 things.

I take that back completely now - been outstanding for the past month. Looks fitter and hungry to prove himself which is crazy when you consider his track record.

Given the lack of realistic ST options out there I think we are best getting another year out of him with Mason learning from him as understudy. Then invest into DM & RW this summer

Green_Red

I said a few weeks ago I thought he was the best striker we had since Rooney in his heyday. Every time I watch him that gets reinforced for me. I know we had Zlatan, but I honestly think Cavani is a better striker than Zlatan, and it's not even something I need to think long about.

Edison Cavani,
our Uraguayan hero,
on a free from PSG,
he cost United zero!
6 foot 3,
hard as nails,
he gets the fans excited,
stick your city up your arse,
'cause we are Man Utd!

Imagine getting Zlatan and Cavani for free from PSG though :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I said a few weeks ago I thought he was the best striker we had since Rooney in his heyday. Every time I watch him that gets reinforced for me. I know we had Zlatan, but I honestly think Cavani is a better striker than Zlatan, and it's not even something I need to think long about.
I’d have to say they are fairly even. Cavani is probably a bit more economical with his finishing since Ibra had the audacity to attempt finishes that most strikers wouldn’t even consider, much less attempt. The advantage Cavani brings is we don’t seem to need to adapt our game to a confirm to his style, whereas this was less so the case with Ibra.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Edison Cavani,
our Uraguayan hero,
on a free from PSG,
he cost United zero!
6 foot 3,
hard as nails,
he gets the fans excited,
stick your city up your arse,
'cause we are Man Utd!

Imagine getting Zlatan and Cavani for free from PSG though :lol:
Van persie

RUCK4444

I’d have to say they are fairly even. Cavani is probably a bit more economical with his finishing since Ibra had the audacity to attempt finishes that most strikers wouldn’t even consider, much less attempt. The advantage Cavani brings is we don’t seem to need to adapt our game to a confirm to his style, whereas this was less so the case with Ibra.
Would you say Cavani is the more natural no 9 and brings more the the game for us with his elite level movement and aggressive play?

I love Ibra and in their prime he’s technically better on the ball than Cavani and I would say the more economical/deadly finisher (the two misses Cavani had last night would be buried by Ibra and even though he’s scored crazy amount of goals he’s also missed a lot of chances in his career, I remember that being evident at PSG.)

But the result of his elite movement and him being a lot more mobile than Ibra it means he gets a lot more chances for us. So I definitely edge now towards Edinson being the better signing for us.

But love them both, would absolutely have loved to have had either (or both preferably) in their absolute prime becuase I think both could have been United legend material.

SirScholes

Were not playing better as a team with Cavani in it. I think part of the reason is that the other forwards play and stay wider when Cavani plays and also because Cavani himself hasn’t generally played great.
I still chuckle @Jeppers7 been quiet for awhile

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would you say Cavani is the more natural no 9 and brings more the the game for us with his elite level movement and aggressive play?

I love Ibra and in their prime he’s technically better on the ball than Cavani and I would say the more economical/deadly finisher (the two misses Cavani had last night would be buried by Ibra and even though he’s scored crazy amount of goals he’s also missed a lot of chances in his career, I remember that being evident at PSG.)

But the result of his elite movement and him being a lot more mobile than Ibra it means he gets a lot more chances for us. So I definitely edge now towards Edinson being the better signing for us.

But love them both, would absolutely have loved to have had either (or both preferably) in their absolute prime becuase I think both could have been United legend material.
Yeah, I’d definitely say Cavani is a more natural 9.

El Zoido

He’s been amazing recently, love seeing us with a proper CF up top. Nobody else in the team can score these types of goals.

Deery

Dreary
I liked his first goal last night, no fecks given just lashed it home..:devil:

bsCallout

He would not have gotten in ahead of Yorke/Cole or Rooney/Tevez.