Cavani is not respected enough around here

klsv

We should really move on from the idea that it's a necessity to have an option to bring on an experienced target man from the bench when it's the 80th minute and we need to score against Burnley or Watford.

Dan_F

Cavani is respected way too much by the fans in Old Trafford. To listen to the reception he gets you’d think he was fecking George Best.

They’re a sucker for big names deigning to play for us, regardless of their actual performances or even basic reliability.

See also - Schweinsteiger.
I don’t even think it’s about his name. He’s seen as someone different to the other forwards we’ve had in recent years in that he chases a lot. He’s also got a really good song which helps.

Maticmaker

I love Cavani but what a massive disappointment he has been. His spell here has withered out to nothing.
He is showing all the hallmarks of a man who believes he has been lied to by the club.

Before Cavani came to OT its fair to say his career was on the wane, but he arrived here and give us great moments to enjoy in his first season, which in turn gave a boost to his standings in the rankings of top strikers and on the back of that season it would have allowed him to leave to go perhaps somewhere less demanding than the PL and maybe get in a few more lucrative seasons before finally retiring.

Instead he was persuaded to stay, or maybe the option clause in the original contract was activated, either way he stayed, but then CR arrived, and a disappointed Edison has since been going through the motions.

Its hard to know the truth, except he looks nothing like the player we had last season, true he still runs about a lot, but his presence even when he plays right up front is still less threatening to the opposing defence.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Should have been let go the moment he suggested he was prepared to represent Uruguay for every game including friendlies, despite having to quarantine for two weeks.
His head has gone

Bennie Blanco

Should have been let go the moment he suggested he was prepared to represent Uruguay for every game including friendlies, despite having to quarantine for two weeks.
His head has gone
You must understand that players (and fans) put their country above their club everywhere on this planet except England.

It's not cool to put your country above your club in England (really really weird).

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
You must understand that players (and fans) put their country above their club everywhere on this planet except England.

It's not cool to put your country above your club in England (really really weird).
Considering the clubs pay their wages and enable their lifestyles I think its perfectly reasonable that the clubs should come first.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Considering the clubs pay their wages and enable their lifestyles I think its perfectly reasonable that the clubs should come first.
I imagine he told the club when he was asked to re-sign that he wanted to play for Uruguay until the World Cup, giving the club the option to not offer him a contract if they felt it was unacceptable. You’re being very precious and very blinkered here and anyone other than a Man Utd fan can easily see through the rose tinted specs.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Cavani was a great asset last season. But this season is a joke. Gets injured on each international duty and then stays home longer. Ruling himself out of games even when he was cleared to play.

This season is one big holiday for him. He really wanted to leave last summer and it’s clear his decision is one of regret he didn’t follow through on. Even if he is injured he should be back in Carrington.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I imagine he told the club when he was asked to re-sign that he wanted to play for Uruguay until the World Cup, giving the club the option to not offer him a contract if they felt it was unacceptable. You’re being very precious and very blinkered here and anyone other than a Man Utd fan can easily see through the rose tinted specs.
Yeah I'm not though, it's not exclusove to cavani, any player who puts internationals above the needs of the club paying them has their priorities wrong. Try telling your boss you can't work for two weeks five times a year because you want to work for someone else, and you might not be able to work for longer than that if you get hurt doing that job, but still expect to be paid. I look forward to hearing how that chat goes.

Loon

:lol:
His body is letting him down with these niggles, but, Christ, his heart and commitment on the pitch should be bottled and given to some of the others.

redshaw

We should've listened to him at the end of last season, even Ralf wanted him to stay recently as when he's on the pitch he really gives everything. We've very much missed his addition of last season, more so the second half last season.

I'd hoped he could've helped us out in the CL but it wasn't meant to be. He's been a waste of wages this year sadly.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Utd fans always treat big named strikers like gods. Falcao was treated the same way for first few months too.

Truth is both of them have been flops.

Dan

Thread title needs to be changed to “Cavani is not fit enough around here”.

TsuWave

He is showing all the hallmarks of a man who believes he has been lied to by the club.
So Cavanual Leave underperforms and/or extends his disappearing act and we start writing fanfiction about the club lying to him?

Castia

Just like the decision to keep Lingard and Mata complete waste of time

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Him and Ighalo an under the radar £30m+ we've thrown away for next to no output.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His body is letting him down with these niggles, but, Christ, his heart and commitment on the pitch should be bottled and given to some of the others.
His on pitch commitment should be standard. But his willingness to play friendlies for his country while he cannot push through the pain barrier for his club is not exemplary.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its also easy to throw caution to the leather for him when he plays once a month as opposed to others who play twice a week in the thick of things.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Yeah I'm not though, it's not exclusove to cavani, any player who puts internationals above the needs of the club paying them has their priorities wrong. Try telling your boss you can't work for two weeks five times a year because you want to work for someone else, and you might not be able to work for longer than that if you get hurt doing that job, but still expect to be paid. I look forward to hearing how that chat goes.
If I’d signed a contract stipulating exactly that and getting injured was a known risk of the job I was signing up to then I’d expect my boss to have either not agreed to the contract in the first place (most of your players are internationals btw and have exactly the same arrangements), or to honour the contract they signed with me. Terrible example!

Castia

I feel like he was set to leave in January but that broke down due to various reasons so he’s sulking his way through till the summer
Never fit for United but doesn’t miss an international game. Feck him.

VivaRonaldo85

He can do one. I was a fan last season but this season has reminded me I was right about him when we signed him. Another mercenary.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Feels like a different lifetime ago, where we fielded him alongside Ronaldo and thought we'd stumbled on something!

He's been an absolute waste of time this season, for whatever reason, and I can't imagine anyone if they had hindsight wouldn't just have released him last summer now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He can do one. I was a fan last season but this season has reminded me I was right about him when we signed him. Another mercenary.
Yep. You hope the new manager will be able to bring in the Sancho esque good players with potential to go up a gear (albeit not all at 75m!), rather than these short term, ludicrous salary aging galactico types.
Get back to creating legends, not bringing them in.

SATA

I read he scored two goals this season. I remember one of them was away against Spurs. What was the second one? :confused:

copen1945

The club was intrumental in the Uruguayan qualification campaign. United, at least, deserve a complimentary badge on the official YouTube channel. Cavani played United for fools.

Maticmaker

So Cavanual Leave underperforms and/or extends his disappearing act and we start writing fanfiction about the club lying to him?
I said he looked like someone who believes that ....not that he was lied to, read the thing properly.

Devil81

If he doesn't want to be with the club anymore let him return home and cancel his contract.

Fed up with these individuals taking advantage of the club.

led_scholes

Last year he was really good. The guy wanted to leave, and the were rumours few months after he joined us. However, him out running players 10 years younger, papered the rumours. Instead, of us looking for his replacement (which we got with Ronaldo) we begged him to stay.
Like, don't we have someone to tell our club the obvious: guys, Ed is a good guy, but he gets injured every now and then, he gets older and losing pace, and he loves his country which can increase his absence due to covid regulations, better look for a long term striker.