Celebrity Allegations, #MeToo etc

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Why is the burden of guilt always placed on the man in domestic disputes?
It isn't.

In this case it is because she grabbed his phone after which he assaulted her, strangled her and chased her down the street, resulting in a broken finger, other minor injuries and a hospital visit, after begging for help from passers by.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Because statistically is what happens in the majority of cases
The "burden of guilt" (whatever that is) is not applied to men except when there is evidence. Women get injured and murdered more often, by an order of magnitude, in domestic violence incidents. As in this case where it was the woman who was injured and the man was unscathed, only suffering *checks notes* his phone being grabbed.

https://pix11.com/news/morning/jona...ning-of-possible-investigation-messages-show/

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The "burden of guilt" (whatever that is) is not applied to men except when there is evidence. Women get injured and murdered more often, by an order of magnitude, in domestic violence incidents. As in this case where it was the woman who was injured and the man was unscathed, only suffering *checks notes* his phone being grabbed.

https://pix11.com/news/morning/jona...ning-of-possible-investigation-messages-show/
Maybe i misunderstood the comment that I quoted or maybe i didn't explained myself better.

My understanding is the same as you. In my comment I wanted to say exactly that, that statistically, the men are guilty in a domestic violence dispute

Oldyella

It isn't.

In this case it is because she grabbed his phone after which he assaulted her, strangled her and chased her down the street, resulting in a broken finger, other minor injuries and a hospital visit, after begging for help from passers by.
Not saying he's innocent, and the texts are damning, but she was chasing him in the videos.

decorativeed

So glad we don't have to watch this guy hamming up every single scene he's in any more. Awful actor, and apparently awful person.

Unam333

Kang the Conqueror in the MCU is really underwelming. I didn't like the character in Ant-Man, he isn't menacing enough.
Hopefully Marvel will introduce a new main baddie. I want a Thanos kind of threat, brute force instead of laserbeam fights.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Maybe i misunderstood the comment that I quoted or maybe i didn't explained myself better.

My understanding is the same as you. In my comment I wanted to say exactly that, that statistically, the men are guilty in a domestic violence dispute
Sorry I misunderstood you.

cafecillos

I'm glad there are some caftards on duty to ask the right questions about domestic abuse, i.e. when will men's oppression end.

Brophs

The One and Only
Is he the fella who goes around with a one of a series of coffee cups in his hand, as if they have some sort of deep significance? I’d give him another life sentence for that alone.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Because statistically is what happens in the majority of cases
In reported cases sure, but you see it all the time where the women go after the men, in some cases unprovoked and the men adopt the "never hit a woman approach" and literally take it on the chin. They may be called weak or dismissed for even reporting it. If it wasn't for the fact that Johnny Depp had the money to fight all the way, he would have been cancelled by now. A lot of guys ain't so lucky.

Two wrongs don't make a right but that's all I'm saying.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It isn't.

She was chasing him down the street and if you get injured in a situation you've caused, it serves you right. Not like the injuries were excessive or disproportionate to the situation either.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
She was chasing him down the street and if you get injured in a situation you've caused, it serves you right. Not like the injuries were excessive or disproportionate to the situation either.
You don't think assaulting someone for grabbing your phone is disproportionate?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
You don't think assaulting someone for grabbing your phone is disproportionate?
Before you go diving in, look up for the legal term he is charged with in this case. And yeah if, two people are grabbing on to something and not letting go, there is a chance that someone may get hurt, especially if one person is stronger than the other. And at the end of the day, it was his property.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Before you go diving in, look up for the legal term he is charged with in this case. And yeah if, two people are grabbing on to something and not letting go, there is a chance that someone may get hurt, especially if one person is stronger than the other. And at the end of the day, it was his property.
It's quite an achievement to grab something with your neck.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What the hell are you talking about??
Taking someones phone by force is already assault in itself!?
My point was that if someone grabs your phone (with their hands I'm assuming) and your go to is to strangle them amongst other things, it seems rather disproportionate. Struggling with them to retrieve your phone, fair, but strangling?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
My point was that if someone grabs your phone (with their hands I'm assuming) and your go to is to strangle them amongst other things, it seems rather disproportionate. Struggling with them to retrieve your phone, fair, but strangling?
People get shot over there for less.

Abizzz

Fair, strangling someone for it is a disproportionate response.

Withnail

In reported cases sure, but you see it all the time where the women go after the men, in some cases unprovoked and the men adopt the "never hit a woman approach" and literally take it on the chin. They may be called weak or dismissed for even reporting it. If it wasn't for the fact that Johnny Depp had the money to fight all the way, he would have been cancelled by now. A lot of guys ain't so lucky.

Yes this really is a major problem in society.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Kang the Conqueror in the MCU is really underwelming. I didn't like the character in Ant-Man, he isn't menacing enough.
Hopefully Marvel will introduce a new main baddie. I want a Thanos kind of threat, brute force instead of laserbeam fights.
Interesting area to focus on.

cyberman

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Maybe you see it all the time, but I definitely don't see it all the time. In fact, I barely ever see it. On the Johnny Depp, depends on which trial was guilty or not. Don't get me wrong, for what I read, I would sit more on Depp camp. But anyway, is just one case on many more.

No matter what your perception tells you. Numbers dont lie and what you are proposing is the same as for any voters: " the silent majority". It doesn't exist. Studies shows that there is a lot more unreported abuse on the woman site.

And yes, the adopt "never hit a woman approach" is basically because generally speaking, due to biology a man can cause women harm that a woman can't. Again, generally speaking. I must say, though, that if a woman hits a man without a reason because they expect that they will not hit them back, I am all for the man to hit her back, though it would probably better to call the police.

Drainy

He apparently wasn't found guilty of anything that required it to be an intentional act, might be a compromised verdict by the jury though.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

Some of you might already read in the Emmanuel Macron thread that he is siding with Gérard Depardieu in the midst of the allegations of sexual misconduct against the actor. I personally find that position repugnant, especially in the wake of those allegations and of that documentary/report titled La Chute de l'Ogre, where we see Depardieu during a 2018 trip in North Korea. If you watch that video, you will see Depardieu making several misogynistic and insulting comments in front of women, and he goes as far as to make an obscene comment about a young girl riding a horse.

I also need to remind people that one of Depardieu's accusers, Emmanuelle Debever, died by suicide on December 7 (just 2 weeks ago).

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Vin Diesel accused in a new lawsuit of a 2010 Sexual battery complaint. The details are pretty gross for anyone interested in that sort of thing.

Just a civil complaint at this point; no criminal charges. Will be interesting to see if anyone else comes forward now.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68208729

Footballer Dani Alves's rape trial begins in Spain

Former Barcelona and Brazil football player Dani Alves has gone on trial in Spain accused of raping a woman in a nightclub.

The 40-year-old has been in prison without bail for more than a year since the alleged incident took place in December 2022.

Mr Alves could face up 12 years in prison if found guilty.

He first denied having met his accuser, but later said they had had consensual sex. His trial ends on Wednesday.

More than 30 people, including Dani Alves and his estranged wife, are expected to testify.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68208729

Footballer Dani Alves's rape trial begins in Spain

Former Barcelona and Brazil football player Dani Alves has gone on trial in Spain accused of raping a woman in a nightclub.

The 40-year-old has been in prison without bail for more than a year since the alleged incident took place in December 2022.

Mr Alves could face up 12 years in prison if found guilty.

He first denied having met his accuser, but later said they had had consensual sex. His trial ends on Wednesday.

More than 30 people, including Dani Alves and his estranged wife, are expected to testify.
If the reporting of the case is correct (always an if of course) he will be very lucky not to be convicted. Changing his story every time he knows more evidence has been found (allegedly) is not going to play well.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
If the reporting of the case is correct (always an if of course) he will be very lucky not to be convicted. Changing his story every time he knows more evidence has been found (allegedly) is not going to play well.
General attorney is asking 9, accusation 12. They will give him at most 7 years. Which he will spend a third for good conduct (quite standard in Spain) which is about 2 years. Counting that he had been in prison more than a year, he will be out of prison in monthsand all goodie goodie

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
General attorney is asking 9, accusation 12. They will give him at most 7 years. Which he will spend a third for good conduct (quite standard in Spain) which is about 2 years. Counting that he had been in prison more than a year, he will be out of prison in monthsand all goodie goodie
A conviction for rape and even a short prison sentence will make him a social pariah you would hope. Plus he seems to have burnt his marriage to the ground. Still presumably very wealthy which is probably just as well for him as sponsorship and other football related jobs will presumably be thin on the ground.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
A conviction for rape and even a short prison sentence will make him a social pariah you would hope. Plus he seems to have burnt his marriage to the ground. Still presumably very wealthy which is probably just as well for him as sponsorship and other football related jobs will presumably be thin on the ground.
I agree with you, but i think that a rapist should spend at least a decade and that is what pisses me off. But i am aware that is my arbitrary opinion

A pariah? Maybe in open society. Will hurt him if he ever thought on being a coach or a pundit but he already finished his footballer career. If he had been smart with the money he will have no problems.

Inwards? Knowing how footballers might treat women, who knows how he will spin it among his friends. His mom is completely on his side and his wife seems that she forgave her lately so yeah, some negative effect. But again not as much as he deserve if it is proven (as it seems)