g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Champions League 2022/23 - Matchday 3 - 4/5 October

rajds89

Let’s have it right, rangers have no business being in the champions league.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Looking at Rangers, I think we can get a point or two from our games against them. Encouraging.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Edwards brilliant yet again, our best chance so far

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I think Rangers are making them look this good. Appalling effort from them. Barely walking around the pitch.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
So who do we sign next summer. Their scouting system is amazing.
Alvarez, Brobbey, Rensch, Taylor, Kudus, Timber, Bassey, Wijndal are the only players with the correct profile to make a move I'd say.

We are fine in most of those positions, Taylor could be interesting.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I think Rangers are making them look this good. Appalling effort from them. Barely walking around the pitch.
That's typical Ajax, not giving opponents a chance to play well, not the other way around

Gfooty

I generally don't know what Rangers plan was here. Park the bus against one of Europe's most offensive teams?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Alvarez, Brobbey, Rensch, Taylor, Kudus, Timber, Bassey, Wijndal are the only players with the correct profile to make a move I'd say.

We are fine in most of those positions, Taylor could be interesting.
PSV must get sick of it, you sell players, sign more gems and just roll along.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
So is this how we might play eventually?
Yes, but after a good few years.

EtH did great but there was also awesome talent coming through. We have some great/good players that don't really suit this football (Rashford, Varane, McTominay (not great), de Gea, Ronaldo, Fred).

DomesticTadpole

EtH did great but there was also awesome talent coming through. We have some great/good players that don't really suit this football (Rashford, Varane, McTominay (not great), de Gea, Ronaldo, Fred).
Think majority of fans realise it will take more transfer windows to fine tune United.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Think majority of fans realise it will take more transfer windows to fine tune United.
It will, but I already like where we are going.

And Ten Hag is more pragmatic than someone like Pep or Klopp, he will want to achieve succes in a different way if it needs to be. I can see us becoming more like prime Dortmund than prime Ajax short term.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I wonder if we try and go in for Kudus again in January.

DomesticTadpole

It will, but I already like where we are going.

And Ten Hag is more pragmatic than someone like Pep or Klopp, he will want to achieve succes in a different way if it needs to be. I can see us becoming more like prime Dortmund than prime Ajax short term.
At the moment I would be happy being prime anybody. We have looked past our prime recently.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Coates has been a wall.

Lack of ideas going forward but the Frankfurt back like looks shakey

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Frankfurt and sporting was a pretty boring first halve. Not what that crowd deserves, the atmosphere is unreal by the way. Hope the second halve livens up.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Must win for Ajax immediately tonight.. If you dont win Rangers at home in this group with Liverpool and Napoli you are going to have a very hard time.. Im very confident we are the better team and we will beat them, but the thought that we really cannot afford to make a mistake still triggers the nerves a bit..

Looking forward to it!
Any nerve I had is gone..

Idxomer

Ajax looks great, will be interesting to see if they can give Liverpool a game.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Why is Varane not a fit ? Genuine question

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Why is Varane not a fit ? Genuine question
He is defensively great in form, but just not great on the ball. In terms of dribbling, passing through the lines. But he's okay, and his defensive value will probably compensate enough.

If you really want to play Ajax football, you need to centre backs comfortable with the ball all over the pitch.

Heyli

Supports
Ajax
Ajax playing well, but Rangers making no effort whatsoever. They just let Ajax play their game.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He is defensively great in form, but just not great on the ball. In terms of dribbling, passing through the lines. But he's okay, and his defensive value will probably compensate enough.

If you really want to play Ajax football, you need to centre backs comfortable with the ball all over the pitch.
I know it's not Ajax, but Dortmund's first goal yesterday was a great example of a CB's contribution:
Süle winning the ball, carrying it through the midfield, after passing it not retreating back to his CB position but instead running from central midfield to the right wing, dragging Kopenhagen's CB out of position and therefore opening the space for Reus to score. That's something I wouldn't expect from Varane, but at least I don't fear for his sanity if he tried to (opposed to let's say Maguire).

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I know it's not Ajax, but Dortmund's first goal yesterday was a great example of a CB's contribution:
Süle winning the ball, carrying it through the midfield, after passing it not retreating back to his CB position but instead running from central midfield to the right wing, dragging Kopenhagen's CB out of position and therefore opening the space for Reus to score. That's something I wouldn't expect from Varane, but at least I don't fear for his sanity if he tried to (opposed to let's say Maguire).
Awesome example. Yeah can't see Varane doing that, and that's okay.