Champions League 2022/23 - Matchday 3 - 4/5 October

NM

Some thoughts from the PSG vs Juventus game as I saw it live:
  1. Mbappe is electric. Juventus couldn't deal with his pace... That being said it was mostly his pace. His finishes were fantastic but his ball control in general was ok. He's clinical though. Whole first half it was just 2 shots 2 goals. He is going to be unstoppable as long as he has his pace. I could see him becoming more "normal" as he slows down
  2. Messi didn't doo much, but the ball sticks to his foot in a way it just doesn't with any other players.. He has slowed down a LOT since the last time I saw him (in a friendly about 10 years ago)
  3. PSG's players were simply more technical / better. Juve looked a shell of the team they were a few years ago
  4. Donnarumma is a star. Without him this would be a draw imo
  5. Juve's tactics were weird. They were having joy with crosses but were barely using them. Their right back was pleading for the ball for 80% of the game and rarely got it..
  6. Paris ultras were something else. Non-stop singing throughout. Juve fans had a great time in their corner too
Anyway just my musing from the game

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Must win for Ajax immediately tonight.. If you dont win Rangers at home in this group with Liverpool and Napoli you are going to have a very hard time.. Im very confident we are the better team and we will beat them, but the thought that we really cannot afford to make a mistake still triggers the nerves a bit..

Looking forward to it!

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Must win for Ajax immediately tonight.. If you dont win Rangers at home in this group with Liverpool and Napoli you are going to have a very hard time.. Im very confident we are the better team and we will beat them, but the thought that we really cannot afford to make a mistake still triggers the nerves a bit..

Looking forward to it!
WZAWZDB

3-1 tonight

dal

Modrić is levels above compared to all midfielders in the world at the moment.
He looks in great shape for his age, I remember a poster comparing him to paul Scholes before he went to Tottenham, I think its safe to say hes surpassed him, great call by the guy.

Real Name

He looks in great shape for his age, I remember a poster comparing him to paul Scholes before he went to Tottenham, I think its safe to say hes surpassed him, great call by the guy.
Love Scholes to bits but yeah.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Nah. They are scottish champions, not the pub team from down the street. Same level as relegation fodder in Spain, pretty much what i expected. Shakhtar are a very different proposition now, we like to play with our food and exert only the minimum amount of energy required in games like this. They don't have that luxury so they won't just allow celtic to overrun them. Leipzig are a mess right now though.

Mind you, in Scotland they might get something, sure. That stadium is no joke
Funnily you say this, yet Rangers we’re inches away from winning the Europa league. Yeah the Scottish league is dire but Rangers and Celtic have improved massively in Europe hence why they are both in the group stages.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Some thoughts from the PSG vs Juventus game as I saw it live:

PSG's players were simply more technical / better. Juve looked a shell of the team they were a few years ago. Donnarumma is a star. Without him this would be a draw imo. Juve's tactics were weird. They were having joy with crosses but were barely using them. Their right back was pleading for the ball for 80% of the game and rarely got it. Paris ultras were something else. Non-stop singing throughout. Juve fans had a great time in their corner too

Anyway just my musing from the game
Thanks a lot! Then, PSG is good but not so good and Juve is bad but not too bad. Nevertheless, if Juve do not win vs Benfica at home next week, they will go tits up on Sep 14, decent potential or not.

RoyH1

City just dominated Sevilla in a way that would have been unthinkable some seasons ago. I know City is brilliant and Haaland gives them an edge they didn't have, but Monchi and Lopetegui have a lot to answer for

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
City just dominated Sevilla in a way that would have been unthinkable some seasons ago. I know City is brilliant and Haaland gives them an edge they didn't have, but Monchi and Lopetegui have a lot to answer for
Sevilla looks horrendous this season. Check their league results.

RoyH1

Sevilla looks horrendous this season. Check their league results.
That's my point. Even though City can blow out the most, Monchi and Lopetegui have built a horrendous Sevilla side. They've always been competitive in Europe and this lot is not even competitive in La Liga.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
That's my point. Even though City can blow out the most, Monchi and Lopetegui have built a horrendous Sevilla side. They've always been competitive in Europe and this lot is not even competitive in La Liga.
Sorry, misunderstood your post. We are in agreement. And I suspect Lopetegui will leave.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ahhh yes, it’s a beautiful day for an ass whooping.

The lube is ready and the pants are down, I just hope Frankfurt will be gentle with us.

As a famous man once said “I like to be kissed before I get fecked” so I hope Frankfurt will give Sporting a kiss on the forehead before doing what they do to us.

Stay tuned for my natural meltdown at the end of the game.

Cheers.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

The lube is ready and the pants are down, I just hope Frankfurt will be gentle with us.

As a famous man once said “I like to be kidded before I get fecked” so I hope Frankfurt will give Sporting a kiss on the forehead before doing what they do to us.

Cheers.
So much fear of Frankfurt ahead of their first ever CL match? Wtf? :lol:

redshaw

As a famous man once said “I like to be kidded before I get fecked” so I hope Frankfurt will give Sporting a kiss on the forehead before doing what they do to us.

Cheers.
Thought you were playing Haaland and Pep's Abu Dhabi project for a moment. You did well last season in the CL, well thought of manager, what's changed since?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Cheers.
Think you can beat them. Although they have been scoring quite a lot of goals this season but they can also concede a few. Be an interesting game for sure

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
Eintracht - sporting
Inter - Bayern

I've choosen this pack today.

Cheers and enjoy football

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Eintracht - sporting
Inter - Bayern

I've choosen this pack today.

Cheers and enjoy football
Quite a few decent games tonight, I really wanted to watch that inter-Bayern one but I think I’m gonna go for the Napoli-Liverpool game. Napoli have been pretty decent this season and I think they’ll win tonight.

SportingCP96

Supports
Thought you were playing Haaland and Pep's Abu Dhabi project for a moment. You did well last season in the CL, well thought of manager, what's changed since?
We lost Nunes, Palhinha, and Sarabia and the team has had a rough start to the season. We have no depth in midfield which is a problem.

SportingCP96

Supports
Players who you guys might care about I guess

The front 3 from Sporting
Ugarte in midfield
Porro

We have never won in Germany….so ya …..

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We have never won in Germany and……we fecking suck this year so far
So do Frankfurt this season so far... except thrashing Leipzig, but even Donetsk can do that as proven yesterday.

Should be an interestung match for sure.

Lyricist

Quite a few decent games tonight, I really wanted to watch that inter-Bayern one but I think I’m gonna go for the Napoli-Liverpool game. Napoli have been pretty decent this season and I think they’ll win tonight.
I do like Napoli but I've been wondering about one thing regarding them: How did they get such a pedigree again without winning a league title or even getting that far in a European competition within the last 2 decades?
No offense to Napoli, I respect them and like their intensity. It's just something that has kind of puzzled me when I've read posts about them over the years. Are 5 second places over 20 seasons really enough to be held with such esteem? Is it just the flair surrounding their history that quickly brings them up to such levels?

I will admit right away I haven't watched them much over the years, so the question is just out of curiosity, no disrespect meant at all.

SportingCP96

Supports
So do Frankfurt this season so far... except thrashing Leipzig, but even Donetsk can do that as proven yesterday.

Should be an interestung match for sure.
I hope we can win but history is not on our side.

Amorim seems to prefer playing with no striker and a fluid front 3. We only have one striker in the squad (Paulinho) besides a 17 year old which did not get called up for this game.

SportingCP96

Supports
Incredible atmosphere, feck me

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It’s the equivalent of lightning candles to set the ambiance.

ah man….I see where this is going
You can’t change what's happening on the pitch, but just make sure that the fans don't overrun you at home like they did in Barcelona last season, that was embarassing :lol:

avgp_1

Frankfurt have looked good going forward esp in their last couple of games and this crowd is insane. Sporting have a job in front of them

SportingCP96

Supports
You can’t change what's happening on the pitch, but just make sure that the fans don't overrun you at home like they did in Barcelona last season, that was embarassing :lol:
Nah we won’t let that slide in Portugal ;)

SportingCP96

Supports
Guys guys…..I’m scared :(

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Weird decision to bench Brobbey for Kudus. Especially since I put money on a Brobbey brace. Stupid Schreuder.

SportingCP96

Supports
Fun fact of the day for Sporting. The last 10x they debuted a new alternative kit….they lost.

Sporting is debuting their new third kit tonight….

SportingCP96

Supports
Frankfurt showing a lot more respect to Sporting then they should tbf.