Champions League 2022/23 - Matchday 3 - 4/5 October

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Your squad depth is ridiculous. Will the two Ajax lads get much of a chance this season?
Currently they look like signings for squad depth, not first choice. Should still get some playing time considering the amount of matches Bayern has to play.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
At this point I would take a scrape into top four and a Europa League final against united just to make it glamorous assuming we even get into the Europa League. Onwards and upwards I guess.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What do people really think, has this Liverpool side legit run its course or they just on a bad run?
I expected this to happen last season, instead they were the best liverpool side i've ever seen. And they finished the seaso by losing the league by a point and the CL final in a mugging

The psychological backlash from that has to be pretty serious. Milan needed nearly a full season to shake off Istanbul, after spending the summer putting out fires and convincing several key players(gattuso, pirlo, nesta, etc) to stay at the club and make them feel worthy of the club and still world class players

This Liverpool team is at the end of its rope physical and emotionally and the mounting injuries and lack of midfield alternatives are compounding the issues. We'll see where they stand after the WC. Think they can turn it around yet, problem is whether they will have anything left to play for by then

Next summer they'll need a big overhaul either way though. Be interesting to see what Klopp does, the last time he was in this position he quit for the good of the club...

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Amazing result for Shakhtar, especially considering they lost half their squad and much of the starting lineup of last season.

Green Yellow Red

Pretty sure he wanted to leave, no?
Although it was claimed that Mane wants to experience a new challenge, I inclined to agree with Trevor Sinclair’s assessment of Mane’s decision to exit Liverpool. He thinks there are three reasons

“One, I don’t think he’s ever been lauded and appreciated at the football club like Virgil van Dijk or Mo Salah.”

“Two, the fact that Liverpool let his contract go down to the last year kind of suggests that that’s how they felt about him.”

“Three, I think the main thing is that Jurgen Klopp lost him when he came out and belittled the AFCON tournament which his manager (for Senegal) Aliou Cisse had to come out and defend the AFCON and said ‘you were coming second until our African players started playing for you’. “Mane is a man of principles, you’ve seen him buy hospitals, buy schools and all the rest of it in his home town of Senegal and it’s for these reasons I feel Sadio Mane’s thought, ‘you know what, I’m going, I’m leaving the club’. He’s had a good time, he’s been a club legend but I don’t think he could play on after that.”

In my opinion, Mane is the main signing that propelled Liverpool back into Europe's elite and their best player. They are not the same team after he left. We're witnessing the beginning of the end for this LFC team and Klopp, especially now Man United are warming up. ;)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Spurs get a nice amount of rest before our game on Tuesday. Think that will make a huge difference.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Joe Gomez has become embarassingly poor.
He was fecking terrible on Wednesday. He covered TAA at RB a few times last season and was fairly decent but he doesn't look good enough at CB. Wednesday night reminded me of Lovren's performance against Spurs at Wembley in 2017. Pretty much ended him as a regular starter for Klopp at Liverpool.

In Gomez's defense, he's having to cover CB and RB on his own because Alexander-Arnold basically can't be bothered right now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Barca will beat Bayern tonight.

When the draw was made I really thought Barca were going to have a tough time getting through the group. They might actually breeze the group unbeaten.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
St Juste and Luis Neto injured. Make shift backlist coming from Sporting.

Added to the fact that Spurs have had more rest and time to prepare I expect Spurs to win.

I know I said it last week but this time I mean it !

Josh 76

I expected this to happen last season, instead they were the best liverpool side i've ever seen. And they finished the seaso by losing the league by a point and the CL final in a mugging

The psychological backlash from that has to be pretty serious. Milan needed nearly a full season to shake off Istanbul, after spending the summer putting out fires and convincing several key players(gattuso, pirlo, nesta, etc) to stay at the club and make them feel worthy of the club and still world class players

This Liverpool team is at the end of its rope physical and emotionally and the mounting injuries and lack of midfield alternatives are compounding the issues. We'll see where they stand after the WC. Think they can turn it around yet, problem is whether they will have anything left to play for by then

Next summer they'll need a big overhaul either way though. Be interesting to see what Klopp does, the last time he was in this position he quit for the good of the club...
The best way I can sum it up is using UTD 2008 team as an comparison.

VVD is not the same player. (RIO)
Robertson looks shattered (EVRA)
Henderson getting old (SCHOLES)
Fabiano losing form (CARRICK)
Mane left (RONALDO)
Salah not interested (ROONEY)
Firmino finished (GIGGS)
Nunez not the right fit (BERBATOV)

Once the core of the team is damaged, a couple of new signings won’t ever fix it.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Kinda scared that Liverpool after their spanking last week vs Napoli will be motivated to the moon and will show up their very best vs us tonight. Hoping for a draw.

Graveyard

Liverpool is low in confidence. Ajax might be one of the worst sides to be facing now with their tireless offence.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Kinda scared that Liverpool after their spanking last week vs Napoli will be motivated to the moon and will show up their very best vs us tonight. Hoping for a draw.
Or… you could easily tear them apart. Who’s the speedsters in your team? They play such an high line that anyone with pace will get in behind and score a few.

DJ_21

I fancy Barca to beat Bayern tonight. Also think sporting have a decent chance against spurs. The Leverkusen and atletico game will be anyones. Not been impressed by Leverkusen this season.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Or… you could easily tear them apart. Who’s the speedsters in your team? They play such an high line that anyone with pace will get in behind and score a few.
We play with a high line as well so it will be an interesting battle for the midfield. Our speedsters are Kudus and Bergwijn.

DJ_21

We play with a high line as well so it will be an interesting battle for the midfield. Our speedsters are Kudus and Bergwijn.
Hope you beat them tonight. They’ll be looking to bounce back though from there whooping last week.

Lyng

Barca will beat Bayern tonight.

When the draw was made I really thought Barca were going to have a tough time getting through the group. They might actually breeze the group unbeaten.
If they beat Bayern in Munich I could see Nagelsmann getting sacked.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
If they beat Bayern in Munich I could see Nagelsmann getting sacked.
no. Nagelsmann is secure. The DOF, who appointed and backed him, got a contract extension. If Nagelsmann is getting sacked, Brazzo is done as well and some of the senior players, who would be behind that, would probably also be out soon.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
no. Nagelsmann is secure. The DOF, who appointed and backed him, got a contract extension. If Nagelsmann is getting sacked, Brazzo is done as well and some of the senior players, who would be behind that, would probably also be out soon.
No player had to leave because they got rid of Kovac or Ancelotti, wouldn't happen this time as well.

Amsterdammed

Supports
Ajax
Bergwijn is the one with the most speed. But Ajax are playing a highline too. But in Timber and Bassey i trust :) I'm worried about the battle Salah --> Blind. I had some nightmares about that. Daley Blind is too slowwwwww.

DJ_21

Bergwijn is the one with the most speed. But Ajax are playing a highline too. But in Timber and Bassey i trust :) I'm worried about the battle Salah --> Blind. I had some nightmares about that. Daley Blind is too slowwwwww.
Ye, that’s probably one battle they’ll win. Although Salah isn’t having the best of seasons.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
No player had to leave because they got rid of Kovac or Ancelotti, wouldn't happen this time as well.
Its a different situation, but a fairly pointless debate, because Nagelsmann isn't close to getting sacked. There is no indication that the players are unhappy with him. Brazzo is fully committed to Nagelsmann and just got a contract extension. If Nagelsmann has to go, Brazzo would be damaged beyond repair and Kahn would also suffer reputational damage. Nobody is going to sack Nagelsmann lightly. In contrast, it was easy to get rid of Carlo or Kovac without much trouble.

Anyway, both teams have extremely strong squads and want to dominate possession. It could be a great game. Bayern have home advantage, while Barca might have a little less pressure. I expect Bayern to win, but both teams have so much attacking talent and some defensive weaknesses that almost any score line is possible.

DJ_21

Ajax and Barca winning would make my day :drool:
Think you have a great chance. Think this game will be won depending on who’s attack turns up and which midfield dominate. Both like to have possession but I think Bayern might edge this with them being at home.

DJ_21

St Juste and Luis Neto injured. Make shift backlist coming from Sporting.

Added to the fact that Spurs have had more rest and time to prepare I expect Spurs to win.

I know I said it last week but this time I mean it !
Id like to think you have a good chance tonight with the front 3 you have but I think spurs front 3 will cause big problems for your defence.

avgp_1

Will not write off Bayern at home. I think they'll win

Bayern have missed a CF but they are still playing well and will cause issues running at the FBs of Barca.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will not write off Bayern at home. I think they'll win

Bayern have missed a CF but they are still playing well and will cause issues running at the FBs of Barca.
What do you mean you won't write Bayern off? They are the favourites.

Deery

Dreary
Ronaldo probably should have taken that paycut and went to Sporting..

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Spurs sensing this is the night they can have a shot and put this group’s headache to bed already!