Champions League Final 2019 | Spurs v Liverpool (1st June)

Hughie77

Spurs will lead up till 89nth minute . Pool get a dodgy VAR pen, equalise, extra time, and pens, Allisson will be told to do a Grobbelar, wonky legs thing, and totally mess it up, spurs win on pens. Maybe?

Hughie77

Serious, I think Spurs can do it, the game at Anfield they should have, won and not lost it. They can play two ways spurs, go long or keep the ball, pool play one way, press press press, cause mistakes hit them high up pitch. If a team doesn't make mistakes on the press, they find it harder to score.

Hope Kane is fit? Lorente is one who can hold up ball from a longer game, it's going to be interesting . But I think Spurs can do it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Given the circumstances, two clubs from the same league who haven't won a trophy between them in two decades battling it out in the CL final, I find predicting the outcome of this encounter near-impossible.

That said, my gut says Spurs will pull it off.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The usual. The only sticking point is whether he plays Hendo, Wijnaldum and Fabinho in the middle for defensive solidity. And that depends on whether you play a vanilla midfield yourselves. If Poch decides to only play on the break then I can see Keita playing instead of Wijnaldum or Hendo to keep more (useful) possession and deny you the break opportunities.

I think Klopp has learnt from the City defeat.
Just out of interest, are you all happy with Matip starting? Surprised Gomez hasn't come straight back in after injury and I think with his pace you'd be more comfortable for those occasions when Robbo and TAA are caught upfield and they get the ball quickly to Son or Moura....

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Just out of interest, are you all happy with Matip starting? Surprised Gomez hasn't come straight back in after injury and I think with his pace you'd be more comfortable for those occasions when Robbo and TAA are caught upfield and they get the ball quickly to Son or Moura....
Matip’s actually done really well since he started getting regular game time. Can’t see him not playing the final, but it’ll be interesting to see how we line up next season with four capable cb’s.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Matip’s actually done really well since he started getting regular game time. Can’t see him not playing the final, but it’ll be interesting to see how we line up next season with four capable cb’s.
Yeah I've been really impressed by Matip when I've watched you play. Brings the ball out of defence really well and I really don't see him making any errors.

Seems to go under the radar because obviously Van Djik is world class, but Matip has turned in to one of the better defenders in the league this season I think. With him, Gomez and VVD you're set really well in that department.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think a big factor in this game is how well Spurs handle TAA & Robertson. If they can get a handle on those two then it’ll go a long way towards beating us.

If they’re allowed to get forward then I think Spurs will struggle.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I've been really impressed by Matip when I've watched you play. Brings the ball out of defence really well and I really don't see him making any errors.

Seems to go under the radar because obviously Van Djik is world class, but Matip has turned in to one of the better defenders in the league this season I think. With him, Gomez and VVD you're set really well in that department.
Me too. Quite the turnaround from being clear fourth choice and a player whom I was largely indifferent to. Shows how important it can be to have a capable partner as both Matip and Lovren got far better once Van Dijk was signed.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think a big factor in this game is how well Spurs handle TAA & Robertson. If they can get a handle on those two then it’ll go a long way towards beating us.

If they’re allowed to get forward then I think Spurs will struggle.
Agreed. We badly struggled in the second leg vs City in wide areas, and if that happens again we will lose. Can't allow Robertson/TAA space to get those crosses in.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
3 lost CL finals + losing against a side that is 26 points below you in the league? Yes, in my mind it definitely would. I'm fine with you still loving him though, suit yourself
Managers can't bottle anything. They aren't on the pitch, how do you bottle managing a game? I've never understood this. It's yet more lazy use of the bottling tag.

Losing one game against a team who are an underdog but still knocked out Ajax, Dortmund and City would not be a bottlejob. In other finals he has been an underdog so it's not a pattern.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
He won't be gung-ho, but I don't think he's going to tell the team to just sit back and play on the counter. I think he'll take the game to Liverpool perhaps more than you think.

Liverpool are not the only team in this game that can press effectively and use wingbacks to provide ammunition.
Interesting. So you think Poch is going three at the back then for the final? Alde, Verto and Sanchez?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You can't be serious.
I am. I really don't understand how a manager gets so nervous for a final he somehow translates that to the players on the pitch.

Managers don't play games, only players can bottle situations, unless the manager gets panicky and makes a super defensive sub which backfires etc, but Klopp hasn't done that.

Maybe if he's twitchy pre-game that'll rub off on the players, but again I always find this shit so vague .. but then the 'bottling' tag is like that in general.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Interesting. So you think Poch is going three at the back then for the final? Alde, Verto and Sanchez?
I doubt it. But playing with a back 4 doesn't have to prevent Rose or Trippier (or whoever) from getting forward when needed. For example, it's always possible for Dier as DM (if he is picked to play) to temporarily drop back in between the 2 CBs, who can then split wider if needed to cover any vacated flank.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully fecking not, we've looked woeful 9/10 times we've gone with 3atb.
I know, that's why seeing the word wingbacks got me excited. :)

So if it's 4 at the back I can imagine the majority of play will be with Mane and Robertson to exploit Trippier. Salah might get a look in against Rose on the odd occasion .

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Klopp to ruthlessly exploit Trippiers defensive fragility, something like 75% of attacks down his side of the park. Standard Gegenpressen, look to overwhelm Spurs and get in early, take the wind out of their sails. A 2-0 or 3-1 lead before fatigue really starts to kick in around the 60th minute or so from said Gegenpressen is what Klopp would be hoping for. The thing is Spurs are certainly no slouches fitness wise, and can maintain a high tempo press of their own. If you burn yourself out too early they have more than enough in the tank, and with the attacking talent they have, to hurt you later in the game. Spurs seem to be slow starters as well, maybe I was just lucky in the games I have watched where their first half was a snore fest. Feels like they pick up momentum as the game wears on but rarely come out of the traps and blow teams away. Liverpool have that in them and I dont think Spurs do.

This certainly wont be easy for Liverpool, some Pool fans thinking they will walk it are mistaken and not giving the Spurs squad enough credit. But Liverpool should win, league position tells us they are the better side overall but in a one off game anything can happen, Mo Salah dives, Llorente handballs, should be a good match for the neutrals.

TheLiverBird

Klopp to ruthlessly exploit Trippiers defensive fragility, something like 75% of attacks down his side of the park. Standard Gegenpressen, look to overwhelm Spurs and get in early, take the wind out of their sails. A 2-0 or 3-1 lead before fatigue really starts to kick in around the 60th minute or so from said Gegenpressen is what Klopp would be hoping for. The thing is Spurs are certainly no slouches fitness wise, and can maintain a high tempo press of their own. If you burn yourself out too early they have more than enough in the tank, and with the attacking talent they have, to hurt you later in the game. Spurs seem to be slow starters as well, maybe I was just lucky in the games I have watched where their first half was a snore fest. Feels like they pick up momentum as the game wears on but rarely come out of the traps and blow teams away. Liverpool have that in them and I dont think Spurs do.

This certainly wont be easy for Liverpool, some Pool fans thinking they will walk it are mistaken and not giving the Spurs squad enough credit. But Liverpool should win, league position tells us they are the better side overall but in a one off game anything can happen, Mo Salah dives, Llorente handballs, should be a good match for the neutrals.
Only the deluded Ones, we all have them

Any sane Liverpool fan (yes there is such a thing, we do exist) does not think we will walk it against Spurs

Yes we are a better team than Spurs, but Spurs are a fantastic side themselves in a position they will want to capitalise on just as much as Liverpool.

This is not going to be easy for any side, both teams have the quality and desire to Win this Final.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can see Aurier starting. Needs to watch he dosen't do anything crazy but he has plenty of big match experience from his time at PSG.

I thought the general feeling was Trippier had an awful season and does feel like an area Liverpool will overload to really exploit.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
How many players with zero matches played in the last few weeks / months can Poch risk throwing into the final? We might risk Firmino and maybe Keita (unlikely with Nabi as we have fit midfielders raring to go) but that's about it.

At this rate seems like Spurs may risk Aurier, Kane and Winks. Maybe Dier?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How many players with zero matches played in the last few weeks / months can Poch risk throwing into the final? We might risk Firmino and maybe Keita (unlikely with Nabi as we have fit midfielders raring to go) but that's about it.

At this rate seems like Spurs may risk Aurier, Kane and Winks. Maybe Dier?
No doubt about it your certainly in a better position squad wise than us. There is a reason you are favourites... really no excuse for you not to win ;).

Ban

Problem with Spurs is they sometimes begin on a bad foot so Poch needs to change things at HT. They can't afford that this time imo cause Liverpool will probably go gung ho from the 1st minute.
One can only hope this rest and no games will fo more harm to Liverpool than to Spurs.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Can see Aurier starting. Needs to watch he dosen't do anything crazy but he has plenty of big match experience from his time at PSG.

I thought the general feeling was Trippier had an awful season and does feel like an area Liverpool will overload to really exploit.
So Spurs have the option of Trippier who is great going forward but has been found wanting a few times defensively. Or Aurier of the rash challenges. Actually how is Aurier still even at Spurs? Seems like he has been there for years and done nothing, like Lamela.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So Spurs have the option of Trippier who is great going forward but has been found wanting a few times defensively. Or Aurier of the rash challenges. Actually how is Aurier still even at Spurs? Seems like he has been there for years and done nothing, like Lamela.
Aurier has been at Spurs for less than two years - this summer will be only his 2nd pre-season with us.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Problem with Spurs is they sometimes begin on a bad foot so Poch needs to change things at HT. They can't afford that this time imo cause Liverpool will probably go gung ho from the 1st minute.
One can only hope this rest and no games will fo more harm to Liverpool than to Spurs.
We went gung ho against Barca as we had no choice. It'll be a bit more cagey against Spurs I think and we'll b wary of their counter-attacking threat as they will be of ours.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Aurier has been at Spurs for less than two years - this summer will be only his 2nd pre-season with us.
Feels like he has been there longer.

Whats the news with Keita and Firminho? Both were making good progress.

Needham

Liverpool are something like 4/7 to win it outright, & Spurs are 7/4, so there's not much in it really as far as the odds go. I see shades of us in 2005 with Spurs this time around. Looking back, from the moment Gerrard scored that late screamer (You beauty) against Olympiacos in our final group match, I reckon our name was on the trophy. Garcia's 'ghost goal' against Chelsea in the semi's. Then us coming back from the dead in the final, & Dudek's late save in Extra-time. It was deemed to be our destiny to win it that year. I sense something similar with your team this time around. I make some decent money on in-play betting/trading throughout the season. My profit for the season just gone is over £4,000. I've stuck a massive £2,000 lay bet on Liverpool not to win the trophy at 1.59 on Betfair. My liability (potential loss) will be over £1,100 if we win. But the £2,000 I'll collect if we lose will help ease the pain. I could think of much worse English teams to lose the final too though. I'd certainly be happy for Glen Hoddle, who himself said he was nearly not here to witness your getting to the final for the first time ever. I'd also smile at the T-shirts Spurs fans would be wearing.........Lad's, it's Spurs. Champions of Europe :)
Are you really a Liverpool fan? That post was incredible. Unless you're forum grooming us all like some high IQ paed.

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
A lot more pressure on Liverpool to win it. I personally think this could be the beginning of a new era for Liverpool FC or the beginning of a very rapid decline. Despite what crazy RAWK fans think, losing another CL Final after barely losing the PL will absolutely crush this team. Expect tons of players leaving if they lose. You will probably begin to see a very quick fall from grace if they were to lose this FINAL. On the other hand, if they were to win? I don't think they will lose any players and sign a couple to become stronger next season. Expect them to challenge City for the next half decade. I truly believe in momentum in sports. Weather it's a game or a season. This is it.

That being said. Expect Liverpool to win 2-0 or 3-1. Also expect 100 times the news coverage when Liverpool wins compare to City winning the PL.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Kane looking to be fit to play, whether it’s off the bench or a starter.
Back in 2014 the championship playoff final, the CL final and the Monaco GP qualifying were all on the same Saturday.
Now it’s all spread out, which isn’t great, imo.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
A lot more pressure on Liverpool to win it. I personally think this could be the beginning of a new era for Liverpool FC or the beginning of a very rapid decline. Despite what crazy RAWK fans think, losing another CL Final after barely losing the PL will absolutely crush this team. Expect tons of players leaving if they lose. You will probably begin to see a very quick fall from grace if they were to lose this FINAL. On the other hand, if they were to win? I don't think they will lose any players and sign a couple to become stronger next season. Expect them to challenge City for the next half decade. I truly believe in momentum in sports. Weather it's a game or a season. This is it.

That being said. Expect Liverpool to win 2-0 or 3-1. Also expect 100 times the news coverage when Liverpool wins compare to City winning the PL.
This isn't really based on the evidence we have available though, is it? Liverpool must have been devastated to lose the CL final last season, especially in the manner that they did with Karius almost wholly at fault, and how did they respond...by recording their highest ever points tally in the league and getting to the final yet again. This is a strong Liverpool side, both technically and mentally. I also don't see a mass exodus if they fail to win, in fact I don't see why it would have much bearing on their outgoings. If anything, you could argue them winning it might make a few more amenable to leaving as they may feel they've won the top prize with Liverpool and want to try their luck elsewhere.

If you were a player wanting to sign for a football club right now, and you looked at clubs that you think are set up to challenge for the foreseeable future, Liverpool would have to be near the front of the list for many. That will be the case win or lose against Spurs on Saturday.

St Red

KRAP
Harry Kane ready to go.

He swears on his daughters life he's fit.