Champions League Final: Liverpool v Real Madrid | Hala Madrid!

Who do you think will win the Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

World Game

If you shoot and your shot takes a double deflection before going in, it will still count as your goal. I can see the same logic applied when making a pass. If Valverde made a pass and it takes a double deflection, it should still count as his pass.

The debate should be whether Valverde touched the ball at all. If he did, then offside. If he didn't, then it's a goal. If you want to be objective, look at the situation but imagine that the team in red is United.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Been a weird game. Ancelotti has given us more of a game with Napoli and fecking Everton than he's done with real so far.

Our wing play has been poor. Diaz and Salah been very ineffective.
But you've got 11 World class players.
Shouldn't you be 5 up?

Fully Fledged

Is Philip Walton on crack?

If the ball is played into the goalscorer's path by an opposition player, it's onside whether it was accidental or otherwise. The rule has always been that way, right?
Do you think that a defender ever deliberately plays the ball to the apposing teams striker? I know you don't but it seems that Big Bad Phil does.

Rajma

It hit Fabinhos knee, no one tries to make a tackle with the knee, therefore it isn't deliberate play on the ball = correct decision, as much I wish it would have ruled in.
It doesn’t matter if it’s deliberate, it’s his teammate who passes it to him and not Valverde!!!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I’m absolutely furious here still can’t believe they have not awarded a perfectly legitimate goal after so many replies. Konate plays the Fabinho who passes the ball to Benzema. How can this be an offside, can anyone explain?
LiVARpool

RORY65

Is Philip Walton on crack?

If the ball is played into the goalscorer's path by an opposition player, it's onside whether it was accidental or otherwise. The rule has always been that way, right?
No, the idea of a deliberate touch has been there for a while. I remember Kane scoring a goal at Anfield a couple of years back after a Liverpool defender tried to cut it out and touched it into his path and the debate afterwards being about whether it should have stood given the Liverpool defender deliberately made a play at the ball but obviously not to where it went. Deliberately playing the ball is quite subjective though, he's sliding in his area to try and avoid conceding a goal plus the more I see it the less I think Valverde touched it anyway which makes everything else academic.

RK

Goal should've been given, there are several precedents for how that rule is applied. I think it's unfortunate for defenders (and the rule should be changed) but it's clearly a deliberate action.

choccy77

I never knew about that offside rule
Yes, if it comes off 3 Liverpool players and the opposition score... Uefa will accept a donation in their PayPal account from a Mr J Klopp. Once received (usually within 3 mins) the goal will be deemed offside.

Idxomer

Not being deliberate is stupid when Valverde's intention was to shot, and not pass it to Benzema either.

I am.pretty sure there was similar goal for Liverpool just few weeks/months back in the PL and they told us it was a goal because of the same rules. :lol:
Exactly, he didn't even control it ffs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’m absolutely furious here still can’t believe they have not awarded a perfectly legitimate goal after so many replies. Konate plays the Fabinho who passes the ball to Benzema. How can this be an offside, can anyone explain?
It is not a bloody pass. It was a BLOCK. So that is why it is an offside.
I want them to lose as much as you do but lets be objective here

Blood Mage

This Liverpool team are a bunch of freaks. Never seen fitness levels like this in football before and it's hard not to flirt with conspiracy theories about how they keep it up.

Rajma

Tell me why people are discussing the deliberate part when in fact it’s Konate who passes it to Fabinho? The moment Konate blocks it into Fabinho the Benzema is not off!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But its a block!!!

A block is not a pass.

A block is not deliberate.
the rule is playing the ball. he played it by slide tackling the ball away from valverde, which then fell to benzema.

i’ve seen goals like this 100s of times.

unlucky deflections are nothing new at all.

Rajma

It is not a bloody pass. It was a BLOCK. So that is why it is an offside.
I want them to lose as much as you do but lets be objective here
Even if it’s a block the moment the ball motion goes forward any offsides are not to be considered when it hits Fabinho. If it hit Fabinho when he was behind Konate then you might have a point.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's sheer luck that they got away with that. Valverde doesn't even try play it to Benzema. It's basically been treated like a deflected shot.

padzilla

Hipster
For it to be a goal it has to be a deliberate pass that is intercepted rather than a last ditch block that could have ricocheted anywhere.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not being deliberate is stupid when Valverde's intention was to shot, and not pass it to Benzema either.

I am.pretty sure there was similar goal for Liverpool just few weeks/months back in the PL and they told us it was a goal because of the same rules. :lol:
If Valverde made a,shot, gk saved it and Benzema scored deflection....would that be an offside? Yes. So it is no matter what Valverde tried to do