Champions League Knockouts (12 Aug - 23rd Aug)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I know Bayern smashed Chelsea but I've not exactly been blown away by them, I think City are better than them, personally. I actually quite fancy PSG, Mbappe (if fit) and Neymar in a one-legged tie sounds lethal.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Some tasty ties left. I reckon a Bayern vs PSG final and I think PSG might come out surprise winners. Bayern will beat both Barca and City I think while PSG will see off Atalanta and Athletico.

In the Europa I’m gonna predict a Utd-Inter final (written in the stars) with Utd coming out comfortable winners.

TrustInJanuzaj

I know Bayern smashed Chelsea but I've not exactly been blown away by them, I think City are better than them, personally. I actually quite fancy PSG, Mbappe (if fit) and Neymar in a one-legged tie sounds lethal.
PSG are definitely being abit underrated which I kind of get based on some recent bottle jobs but they still have a stacked team with lots of talent.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
These posts annoy me to an unreasonable extent.

Even if you predicted the tie to go the other way, it would still be bold to state it as a certainty. Declaring that a completely mediocre Lyon side will knock City out, without as much as an "I think" or an "in my opinion" - if I weren't lazy as feck, I'd start bookmarking these posts and then rub them in people's faces afterwards.
Oh shullup.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Both PSG and City have been favourites or at least among the favourites for a few years now without actually achieving anything in Europe so far. This might change this year but I guess regardless of their European performances they will continue to be called favourites in the next few years as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hopefully they do. Come on Depay show us some United spirit.
I think they can do it person. Something about City that I really don’t fancy. Not as bad bow that Laporte is back, but without Aguero - I just see the same thing against any decent team - City will be better in between both boxes, and weaker in the area that counts.

If Aguero somehow makes it back, then I think City can win the entire tournament, but without him, I don’t think they have a chance. I think Lyon will surprise them, they totally outplayed them last time they met in the CL a couple seasons back, and if they are mentally strong, I think they can take City. And tbh, even in the midfield areas, they have real quality with Thiago, Bruno and Aouar, so City won’t have it all their own way in there either. Pressure is on City for sure, and they have questionable pedigree at this stage of the CL anyway.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think they can do it person. Something about City that I really don’t fancy. Not as bad bow that Laporte is back, but without Aguero - I just see the same thing against any decent team - City will be better in between both boxes, and weaker in the area that counts.

If Aguero somehow makes it back, then I think City can win the entire tournament, but without him, I don’t think they have a chance. I think Lyon will surprise them, they totally outplayed them last time they met in the CL a couple seasons back, and if they are mentally strong, I think they can take City. And tbh, even in the midfield areas, they have real quality with Thiago, Bruno and Aouar, so City won’t have it all their own way in there either. Pressure is on City for sure, and they have questionable pedigree at this stage of the CL anyway.
Agreed, City are favourites but they haven’t achieved anything in Europe for a reason. Also I don’t think Pep is all that great in Europe these days, quite stubborn and tends to get shocked when other teams dare show up.

Pagh Wraith

These posts annoy me to an unreasonable extent.

Even if you predicted the tie to go the other way, it would still be bold to state it as a certainty. Declaring that a completely mediocre Lyon side will knock City out, without as much as an "I think" or an "in my opinion" - if I weren't lazy as feck, I'd start bookmarking these posts and then rub them in people's faces afterwards.
I'm with you. I have to stop myself from replying to those or I might punch a wall. :lol:

Adding "I think" wouldn't make it better either. It's not even an opinion to claim Lyon will knock City out. Problem is if they do, there'll be a "I told you so" post coming our way.

Inter Yer Nan

Correa could have been potentially useful off the bench but Vrsaljo is not a loss in the slightest given that he's third choice in his position.

I'd have been worried for them if it was a Saul, Thomas, Llorente for example. Quite fancy Atletico to get to the final again this year.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm with you. I have to stop myself from replying to those or I might punch a wall. :lol:

Adding "I think" wouldn't make it better either. It's not even an opinion to claim Lyon will knock City out. Problem is if they do, there'll be a "I told you so" post coming our way.
So basically, I should think City will win? Otherwise I’m trying to be clever? You, and the other one talking rubbish should go away. It is a football match yet to be played, with a presently undetermined result. I’m as entitled to think Lyon would win as any of you are to be declaring City are likely to win the Champions League. Nobody was talking to you in the first place, so you go ahead and punch as many walls as you feel you need to punch.

TrustInJanuzaj

Of all the crap people say (and believe) on this forum these are the kinds of posts that make you mad? That’s madness to me, there’s no harm at all in saying Lyon will beat City, or have you also forgotten you’re mean to be a Man Utd fan on a Man Utd forum.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One can hope but it would be an equivalent of us getting knocked out tonight. Gap in quality is that big.
Don’t think the gap in quality is nearly that big. Not without Aguero. You cannot compare Copenhagen to a team that has Dembele, Depay, Auoar, Thiago Mendes, Bruno Guiamares and other threats like Ekambi and Cornet.

City have never reached a CL final, and have questionable pedigree. I saw Lyon outplay them at the Etihad a couple of years back. Of course, City winning will be seen as a normal event, but I think Lyon have enough quality to upset them.

Nobody is trying to score any fecking internet points here, I’ve also backed them to get a result with my money.

Pagh Wraith

So basically, I should think City will win? Otherwise I’m trying to be clever? You, and the other one talking rubbish should go away. It is a football match yet to be played, with a presently undetermined result. I’m as entitled to think Lyon would win as any of you are to be declaring City are likely to win the Champions League. Nobody was talking to you in the first place, so you go ahead and punch as many walls as you feel you need to punch.
No. You should think City will win x% of the time and Lyon y%. y is lower than x. Claiming City will win doesn't make any sense either but would be a lot closer to reality at least.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No. You should think City will win x% of the time and Lyon y%. y is lower than x. Claiming City will win doesn't make any sense either but at least would be a lot closer to reality.
I don’t give a shit about x and y, I care about Saturday. Not who wins more games out 100. So long as ‘y’ exists in your theory, I am entitled to have my reasons for thinking one of those ‘y’ moments will be this week.

Again, go off and punch a wall. Coming to tell me that you are pissed off at me thinking a team can cause an upset in the latter stages of the CL you know! I’m actually the one pissed off now at the shit from you and whoever the other poster was, can’t be bothered to scroll up. Perhaps you’re both new to watching football or something.

Pagh Wraith

Of all the crap people say (and believe) on this forum these are the kinds of posts that make you mad? That’s madness to me, there’s no harm at all in saying Lyon will beat City, or have you also forgotten you’re mean to be a Man Utd fan on a Man Utd forum.
The problem with definitive posts like the one quoted is that it leads to knee-jerk reactions and conclusions which this forum (and the whole football world) is already rife with. If Lyon progress, and they clearly have a non-zero chance of doing so, you can be sure the Pep sack watch thread will get bumped in an instance. Fine if it's to laugh at him and City (it is a United forum after all) but far too many will then convince themselves that he is actually a fraud who doesn't cut the mustard in Europe. All of it based off a tiny sample of results.

In the Europa league build-up someone also claimed that Ole will be a failure if United don't beat Copenhagen. Same nonsense.

Pagh Wraith

I don’t give a shit about x and y, I care about Saturday. Not who wins more games out 100. So long as ‘y’ exists in your theory, I am entitled to have my reasons for thinking one of those ‘y’ moments will be this week.

Again, go off and punch a wall. Coming to tell me that you are pissed off at me thinking a team can cause an upset in the latter stages of the CL you know! I’m actually the one pissed off now at the shit from you and whoever the other poster was, can’t be bothered to scroll up. Perhaps you’re both new to watching football or something.
Calm down. You completely missed the point anyway.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Calm down. You completely missed the point anyway.
Don’t now tell me to calm down after coming in here to express your own ‘anger’. And I read your clarification of your point in your post just above this one, and struggle to see any relevance at all with my prediction that Lyon will get a result on Saturday. None.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If by the grace of god Barcelona somehow beat Bayern (don’t think it will happen) I hope all of you pull for them vs City

Siorac

There's no harm at all in saying anything about football on a football forum.

Fracture90

Don’t think the gap in quality is nearly that big. Not without Aguero. You cannot compare Copenhagen to a team that has Dembele, Depay, Auoar, Thiago Mendes, Bruno Guiamares and other threats like Ekambi and Cornet.

City have never reached a CL final, and have questionable pedigree. I saw Lyon outplay them at the Etihad a couple of years back. Of course, City winning will be seen as a normal event, but I think Lyon have enough quality to upset them.

Nobody is trying to score any fecking internet points here, I’ve also backed them to get a result with my money.
Jesus can do a decent job of replacing Aguero for this game. I may have exaggerated a bit, but City are on a another level compared to Lyon. Even if Lyon score one, City will just keep coming to maul them. Honestly even with a player down, City would maul them imo.

Also what fekin internet points are you talking about?

Siorac

If by the grace of god Barcelona somehow beat Bayern (don’t think it will happen) I hope all of you pull for them vs City
Of course we will. Bayern or Barcelona - I don't give a feck but I'd rather not have a season with Liverpool winning the Premier League and City winning the Champions League. The world can be a shitty place but it deserves better than that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Correa could have been potentially useful off the bench but Vrsaljo is not a loss in the slightest given that he's third choice in his position.

I'd have been worried for them if it was a Saul, Thomas, Llorente for example. Quite fancy Atletico to get to the final again this year.
I think you are right that this format suits Atleti and their ability go grind out results.They are the most streetwise squad on their side of the draw.

Atleti's main worry will be, because Correa and Vrsaljko were asymptomatic, they would have mingled with the rest of the squad. Potentially any door handle they touched around the training ground etc could have been a source of infection for their teammates. Simeone will be sweating on the latest test results. If a good proportion of their team goes down with cornavirus they will be disqualified before a ball is kicked.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Jesus can do a decent job of replacing Aguero for this game. I may have exaggerated a bit, but City are on a another level compared to Lyon. Even if Lyon score one, City will just keep coming to maul them. Honestly even with a player down, City would maul them imo.

Also what fekin internet points are you talking about?
The internet points referenced by the other posters who took some sort of offence to my prediction.

And I think you are overrating City (and Gabriel Jesus) in relation to Lyon. And this format of one-off games makes it more balanced too.

City are of course favourites, due to having better players in general, however, Lyon have enough good players to get a result. And City have failed when it matters a lot this season. I predicted Arsenal would beat them in the cup, I predicted United would win at the Etihad in December too. This isn’t to say I’m some sort of Nostradamus of course - just more that I think there are weaknesses in the team, and I think without Aguero, they cannot be relied upon to turn their dominance into goals against top teams.

Again, I appreciate it would hardly be an upset if City won, just as it wouldn’t have been in the other games I mentioned, but of course footy is footy, and I think Lyon will knock them out this weekend. And of course, I hope so!

Rojofiam

Imo

Atlético Madrid v Atalanta
Manchester City v Bayern Munich

Then Bayern will beat one of Atlético / Atalanta in the final

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think the biggest chance of an upset is Atalanta over PSG. Probably not in the minority there. The other quarters look fairly straightforward for me.
I don’t think that would be a massive upset wither tbh. I has Atalanta to win that game, although losing Ilicic and Gollini will affect them. Otherwise, PSG also have questionable pedigree at this stage of the competition too. The worst thing Atalanta could do is be too respectful to PSG.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Some of you have a short memory

Not only did Lyon beat City at the Etihad last year but they also absolutely mauled them in France with a ridiculous xG gap in a draw that City was very lucky to get thanks to 2 set pieces goals.

I'd be wary of making claims such as City being able to win easily with a man down.

TrustInJanuzaj

He is a quality player. Scoring for fun in Europe now with scoring for 5 games in a row in europe.
I’ll be honest I don’t care about his record in Europe or overall, I’ve watched him play for two years at Man Utd and he’s the worst striker I’ve seen at the club so as far as I’m concerned he’s absolute garbage. Selling him was just another reason why Ole is such a fantastic manager.

Paul_Scholes18

I’ll be honest I don’t care about his record in Europe or overall, I’ve watched him play for two years at Man Utd and he’s the worst striker I’ve seen at the club so as far as I’m concerned he’s absolute garbage. Selling him was just another reason why Ole is such a fantastic manager.
I don't think he was bad during his first season. He had bad moments like the City game/Sevilla and some poor ball controll all over, but he scored quite a bit still. Second was a different thing. He had one good week I think with 6 goals, but not so much more.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Some of you have a short memory

Not only did Lyon beat City at the Etihad last year but they also absolutely mauled them in France with a ridiculous xG gap in a draw that City was very lucky to get thanks to 2 set pieces goals.

I'd be wary of making claims such as City being able to win easily with a man down.
They had N'Dombele and a few others that they don't have now.

Stranger things have happened for sure but the quality gap between both sides (as proven by recent results and league positions) would make this a shock if Lyon came away with the win. You should be lumping your mortgage on Lyon in the betting markets if you're seeing something the bookies aren't seeing.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

They had N'Dombele and a few others that they don't have now.

Stranger things have happened for sure but the quality gap between both sides (as proven by recent results and league positions) would make this a shock if Lyon came away with the win. You should be lumping your mortgage on Lyon in the betting markets if you're seeing something the bookies aren't seeing.
The bookies are the last people you should trust regarding Man City, they'd have won 3 consecutive UCLs already if the bookies had any clue about how they will perform in Europe every season, they've been their favorites every single year since Pep arrived.
Regardless City is still the obvious favorite to win that tie, It's just not as one sided as some people here believe, there's a world in which they don't advance, they've already been outplayed by that team twice last year after all and back then City were in a better form than what they've been showing this season.

Obviously not having Ndombele is a loss for Lyon but their midfield is overall more balanced and just better than it was back then, especially on the defensive side of things.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Bayern are playing a very dangerous game with all that boasting and bragging. In 90 min Messi could score at least two and make them swallow some humble pie.

Also, this is just the QFs. Thrashing the worst Chelsea in decades in the Round of 16 doesn't mean much.