Champions League Knockouts (12 Aug - 23rd Aug)

eire-red

Leipzig deserved it, felt like Kampl and Upamecano were easily the best players on the pitch. Halstenberg and Sabitzer were good as well.

Simeone suffered from not being brave enough and leaving Morata, Felix and Lemar out of the starting 11. Although, you'd wonder how fit Felix was.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Nooooooo, they should cheer for historical clubs who represent football nobility. The proper teams that are certainly not big money mastodonts and definitely don't have plastic fans. True football connoisseurs know this!
No lies detected here

Eddy_JukeZ

Serves them fecking right for naming their dogs after our ground, celebrating like they already won the friggin cup, and the cheek of their president declaring they should be champions because they beat the champions if the competition got cancelled. Err no.
They came to hell and won though.

Sigma

I've watched them many times this season, he's always impressive. But to perform like that in a CL quarter final just shows he's ready to take on the world.
I didn't say you weren't qualified to comment on him. All I'm saying is that recruitment teams shouldn't make knee jerk decisions based on one game, but do complete analysis on players as well as watching him for a prolonged period of time like you have done. It was my first time watching him, he was very good.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I didn't say you weren't qualified to comment on him. All I'm saying is that recruitment teams shouldn't make knee jerk decisions based on one game, but do complete analysis on players as well as watching him for a prolonged period of time like you have done. It was my first time watching him, he was very good.
Yeah, sure. Of course. But we already had scouted Ronnie when we played Sporting. That match it was just, well, we've got to do the business. It's not the sole decider, it's the ultimate decider, a tipping point, if you will. We've been linked with Upamecano for years.

Eddy_JukeZ

Wonder if Messi has another magical performance in him vs Bayern.

In a one-off game, their chances are certainly better. Still can't see anything but a Bayern win.

Sigma

Yeah, sure. Of course. But we already had scouted Ronnie when we played Sporting. That match it was just, well, we've got to do the business. It's not the sole decider, it's the ultimate decider, a tipping point, if you will. We've been linked with Upamecano for years.
I wasn't really aware of previous links but you are probably right. I agree with you in what you said though.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This is the 2nd year in a row where Partey doesn't start for Atletico in a decisive CL match and they get knocked out.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wasn't really aware of previous links but you are probably right. I agree with you in what you said though.
I've seen the rumours, but only just read on page 1 of his thread that we had virtually agreed a deal to sign him before he went with Red Bull, and we apparently messed it up because we changed some terms of the deal last minute. Anyhow, we are aware of his talents, now we've just seen him boss it on the biggest stage. And it so happens we are looking for a defender. I dread him being signed by another Premier League club.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I was worried for a minute they'd somehow continue with the drink breaks to squeeze in commercials :lol:
Someone is probably thinking about it. Thing about UEFA is that they are very slow to make any changes to the game, or FIFA for that matter, so it might be a while.

Money does matter a huge deal. Nation's League is still on despite the competition having no real meaning besides being a money maker.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Nooooooo, they should cheer for historical clubs who represent football nobility. The proper teams that are certainly not big money mastodonts and definitely don't have plastic fans. True football connoisseurs know this!
Meme :p

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Wonder if Messi has another magical performance in him vs Bayern.

In a one-off game, their chances are certainly better. Still can't see anything but a Bayern win.
Who will you root for? Assuming city winning CL would be your worst scenario I think Bayern would give city a harder time than we would.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I hope PSG knocks out both of the CL darlings and see people cry about it on here. :devil:

Eddy_JukeZ

Who will you root for? Assuming city winning CL would be your worst scenario I think Bayern would give city a harder time than we would.
Probably Bayern.

I could see Barcelona playing better vs City than Bayern though if they moved on.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Gerard Romero (RAC1) tweeting that Griezmann will be benched tomorrow and implying the same about Puig. If true, this basically confirms a Vidal, Roberto, De Jong and Busquets midfield with Suárez starting.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Didn't get to see the match. How did Olmo do?

Blackwidow

Just something trivial...

In 2007 Julian Nagelsmann had to end his playing career for Augsburg's U23 because of injuries. His coach Thomas Tuchel then gave him a job as scout and assistant coach...

2020 they meet again in the CL semi finals...

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I see PSG in the final and possibly as champions. Kinda feels inevitable.
I feel that very evitable ^^ Our midfield (especially without Verratti) and our full backs are just not top CL level. Now if we reach the final, everything is possible because Neymar or Mbappe can have moment of brilliance but we'd defintely be the underdog against Bayern or Man City.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Owen 1: Every game is a new game, so any prediction is smoke in the air.
Owen 2: One team will win it all, everyone else will lose.
Baldwin: It is high jump, you feel great at 2.20, 2.25, 2.30... then 2.33 you crash out.

Pagh Wraith

Ugh, anyone but Leipzig, even PSG. Big fan of Nagelsmann though. Every season he has coached at senior level has been sensational. Top, top manager.

Guess I'm rooting for City now. Have a strong dislike for every other remaining club.

wr8_utd

:'(
Gerard Romero (RAC1) tweeting that Griezmann will be benched tomorrow and implying the same about Puig. If true, this basically confirms a Vidal, Roberto, De Jong and Busquets midfield with Suárez starting.
Going to be a staggering lack of creativity outside of Messi in that starting XI. No width, the full backs aren't great anymore, Suarez is fat and rubbish. No Griezmann make sense but could do with Fati in his place. I think we'll see atleast 30 mins of Dembele as well.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I feel that very evitable ^^ Our midfield (especially without Verratti) and our full backs are just not top CL level. Now if we reach the final, everything is possible because Neymar or Mbappe can have moment of brilliance but we'd defintely be the underdog against Bayern or Man City.
Would verrati miss the final ? And what about di maria ?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A midfield with zero creativity. Bayern's pace will maul Barcelona anyway

Suedesi

I honestly think you'll beat Lyon in the final ;)

Eddy_JukeZ

Going to be a staggering lack of creativity outside of Messi in that starting XI. No width, the full backs aren't great anymore, Suarez is fat and rubbish. No Griezmann make sense but could do with Fati in his place. I think we'll see atleast 30 mins of Dembele as well.
They are doomed.

I'm not sure if Messi has fully recovered from his injury either.

Bayern should comfortably win.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Argh feck off. PSG get Atalanta and Leipzig in the quarter and semis. More like a Europa League draw than a CL and they're pretty much in the final.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Exactly. But let’s see what happens. We’d need to play a blinder defensively and have a messi miracle and get a jammy result

DarkLord

Argh feck off. PSG get Atalanta and Leipzig in the quarter and semis. More like a Europa League draw than a CL and they're pretty much in the final.
To be fair, they've been getting the worst draw all the time, always having to meet an elite team even during the round of 16. They met Barca so frequently and both times they were knocked out by Barca and Real, they went on to win the trophy.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be fair, they've been getting the worst draw all the time, always having to meet an elite team even during the round of 16. They met Barca so frequently and both times they were knocked out by Barca and Real, they went on to win the trophy.
Good. Wouldn't mind them getting a tough draw every year.

RashyForPM

Ignoring Red Bull and them going against Germany’s 50+1 rule, I do have a soft spot for Leipzig. They’ve always hired managers who play good stuff, their players hardly cheat, they’ve never really broken the bank, they mostly buy youngsters and their fans, while new as the club is one of the youngest in the world, are vociferous and loyal as they’re glad Leipzig finally has a representative in the big time.

Honestly, I hope they win it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Exactly. But let’s see what happens. We’d need to play a blinder defensively and have a messi miracle and get a jammy result
Setien doesn't have to worry about what comes after. So he's going for the one thing that gives you a chance to win: good ol' catenaccio :D

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I was in East Germany last week, people are actually quite fond of them. The only Bundesliga club from the former DDR.
Union Berlin was in the DDR sector of Berlin and played in their league.
On a less technical note you could still say Leipzig is the only Bundesliga club on former DDR territory, because Berlin is more of it's own thing and doesn't have a lot in common with the often rural and sparsely populated rest of eastern Germany, nor does the respective population.