Champions League Knockouts (12 Aug - 23rd Aug)

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
:lol: Looks like City fan has touched a nerve there and I don't understand what ManUtd owners have anything to do with City fan's post.
It was just a shit take to say that Bayern is owned by companies, when the members of the club will always hold 75%+.
It is obviously not comparable to clubs having owners or clubs who are owned by states.
While we’re at it: Bayern are hypocrites since they are taking Qatar money as well and hold their winter training camp there.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I hope Leipzig goes all the way and wins it.

My preference would be Lyon, Leipzig, Barca/Bayern, PSG, City.

Lyon winning would be brilliant achievement but chances are almost 0. So hopefully it's Leipzig who win this.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Because since Flick came in they’ve been absolutely fantastic.
PSG and City have better squads and Flick is no match for Pep. Even if they progress to the semis tonight, Bayern ain't favorites. Mbappé and Neymar would thrash Boateng-Alaba.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
PSG and City have better squads and Flick is no match for Pep. Even if they progress to the semis tonight, Bayern ain't favorites. Mbappé and Neymar would thrash Boateng-Alaba.
The same Pep that has played himself almost every year since 2011? Great manager but his record post Barca doesn’t make him a favourite here. Personally I’d love one of the underdogs to do it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
They're not playing PSG, City, Pep, Mbappe or Neymar tonight so don't really see your point.

Canagel

Have City been given a bye into the semi or something?
Posters here talking about potential match ups with Barcelona and Bayern already like Lyon don't even exist despite taking 4 points off City last season.

I won't be shocked if Lyon knocks them out

Paul_Scholes18

Have City been given a bye into the semi or something?
Posters here talking about potential match ups with Barcelona and Bayern already like Lyon don't even exist despite taking 4 points off City last season.

I won't be shocked if Lyon knocks them out
It is super City that can't be stopped! There is no team stopping them this year! Not even Norwich because that was last year.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

Is that the same Mbappé/Neymar that wasted a zillion chances against Atalanta's leaky defense or am I missing something?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG has always been the most hated club in France since the 90s but it was because:

- it is the club of Paris which provokes jealousy: capital city, some glamorous foreign players in a league mainly comprised of local players...
- it had a lot of media coverage because the club generates more sells, especially when we know the shareholder in the 90s was the tv channel Canal
- it was the most mocked football club for several reasons: one relatively rich club with inconsistent results at the domestic level
- In France, they always prefer David against Goliath

Now, add the fact the club is owned by Qatar , it doesn't help :D Maybe, in France, 50% of football fans would have liked to see Atalanta kicking out PSG

However, the new generation understand the only place in France to see some football is Paris.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I doubt that only 50% in France wanted to see PSG lose against Atalanta.
I am however pretty sure that 80% in Germany wanted to see Leipzig lose.

Shiva87

The strong feelings against RB Leipzig here is quite informative.

I always thought lots of fans would to start watching them because it helps break the established regime in Germany. Bayern Munich have always been super rich and managed to walk the league very often because of their political clout in Germany. I thought a neutral (non affiliated) fan may enjoy seeing a team with similar means going hell for leather to make it a more balanced league. At least the money Leipzig spend is commerical revenue from legitimate sources and not some bankrolling by an Oligarch or a known human rights offender.

Manchester United are now a brand which makes more money off the pitch than on the pitch. Our history makes us special (like many other clubs) because we became a behemoth in a pleasing organic way, and with an evolving culture.

As of now, it looks like Leipzig are doing it in a culturally and aesthetically pleasing way. Also - it's a smack in the face of the BM supporting football association who didn't allow RB to buy a club!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Lyon winning this would be hilarious considering PSG have been throwing everything at it.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The strong feelings against RB Leipzig here is quite informative.

I always thought lots of fans would to start watching them because it helps break the established regime in Germany. Bayern Munich have always been super rich and managed to walk the league very often because of their political clout in Germany. I thought a neutral (non affiliated) fan may enjoy seeing a team with similar means going hell for leather to make it a more balanced league. At least the money Leipzig spend is commerical revenue from legitimate sources and not some bankrolling by an Oligarch or a known human rights offender.

Manchester United are now a brand which makes more money off the pitch than on the pitch. Our history makes us special (like many other clubs) because we became a behemoth in a pleasing organic way, and with an evolving culture.

As of now, it looks like Leipzig are doing it in a culturally and aesthetically pleasing way. Also - it's a smack in the face of the BM supporting football association who didn't allow RB to buy a club!
Red Bull is hardly a likeable company. Their owner is a despicable person.
https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.the...launching-right-wing-news-breitbart-trump/amp

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Red Bull is hardly a likeable company. Their owner is a despicable person.
https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.the...launching-right-wing-news-breitbart-trump/amp
Was it ever launched? Or was this just a speculative article?

Being against mass immigration and forced multiculturalism is hardly extreme right wing anymore, feels like it became pretty much main stream ever since the immigration influx and subsequent terrorist attacks in 2016. Elections since have shown that.

Anyways in a way I do like the extreme politics that sometimes lie behind football clubs. St. Pauli having a nutorious, left wing fan base, Buffon apparantly supporting facism, and other lower league DDR clubs often having other extreme thoughts, it kind of gives the clubs/players some extra character.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So, who wants who to win tonight?

I don't normally go for the favourites but want Bayern to beat Barca. That being said, I probably want the winner of this tie to win the whole thing (unless Lyon pull off a miracle).

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord

I don't normally go for the favourites but want Bayern to beat Barca. That being said, I probably want the winner of this tie to win the whole thing (unless Lyon pull off a miracle).
I think with so many people labelling Bayern as favorites people have put the pressure on them too high. Especcially individually, with Davies being asked all these questions about playing his childhood hero (Messi), I feel like he is being put under too much pressure.

wr8_utd

:'(
Interesting. Looks like a reaction to Bayern's midfield domination. Guess the days of "we are good as we are, let *them* react to *us* are over
Yup, it looks like they're trying to get some control in midfield at the cost of attack. Also, given that Griezmann doesn't really add anything at all, it's probably not a bad idea. Can't remember the last time Barca must have been such underdogs in a big European game :lol:

Siorac

Was it ever launched? Or was this just a speculative article?

Being against mass immigration and forced multiculturalism is hardly extreme right wing anymore, feels like it became pretty much main stream ever since the immigration influx and subsequent terrorist attacks in 2016. Elections since have shown that.

Anyways in a way I do like the extreme politics that sometimes lie behind football clubs. St. Pauli having a nutorious, left wing fan base, Buffon apparantly supporting facism, and other lower league DDR clubs often having other extreme thoughts, it kind of gives the clubs/players some extra character.
He didn't say extreme, he said despicable. Something can be mainstream and despicable at the same time, like Liverpool.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think with so many people labelling Bayern as favorites people have put the pressure on them too high. Especcially individually, with Davies being asked all these questions about playing his childhood hero (Messi), I feel like he is being put under too much pressure.
They are big favourites with bookmakers for sure. Even money on Bayern and 12/5 for Barca.

Bayern players can handle pressure, they're in these sort of games every season.

wr8_utd

I think Rummenigge has post the most pressure on Davies by saying he'll handle Messi easily.

wr8_utd

If I'm not wrong, the winner of this knockout tie has always gone on to win the CL.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

If I was a Chelsea fan, I'd root for ref and VAR screwing Barca badly.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I think Rummenigge has post the most pressure on Davies by saying he'll handle Messi easily.
He didn't actually say that though. I'm Dutch, and though my German isn't perfect I do understand it quite well, and I think he said something more along the lines of: "Davies will have to deal with Messi".

Felt like the translation came out totally wrong.

wr8_utd

He didn't actually say that though. I'm Dutch, and though my German isn't perfect I do understand it quite well, and I think he said something more along the lines of: "Davies will have to deal with Messi".

Felt like the translation came out totally wrong.
Ah okay fair enough. The quotes going around make it sound different.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Barca beating Pep with his own philosophy would be also fun to watch. Can't deny...
Current Barca have next to nothing in common with Pep‘s side, though. Not just in terms of quality, but especially philosophy and style.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Current Barca have next to nothing in common with Pep‘s side, though. Not just in terms of quality, but especially philosophy and style.
So we can assume they won't dive and stay on the ground for 5 minutes ? At some point would love to see Pep's patience being tested like that.

Bayern will probably do the job today. Barca's quality is indeed growing issue.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Setien doesn't have to worry about what comes after. So he's going for the one thing that gives you a chance to win: good ol' catenaccio :D
Hahaha although I gotta be honest, I also worry we may play too conservative which always backfires as we aren’t built to absorb pressure for long periods of time. I wish Puig was starting as he gives us a shot on the arm cuz our lack of creativity with the rumoured lineup is going to hurt.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Good luck today, not that you’ll need it