Champions League Knockouts (12 Aug - 23rd Aug)

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I think Barcelona have a massive performance in them. This could be Messi’s last chance at European glory with this team, too. Bayern are good but Barcelona are too good themselves to simply dismiss. Hoping for a cracker.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I hope Barca will win today and a masterclass from Messi :drool:

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
I'd love to see Barca win in a 5-3 epic CL game for the ages as they storm their way to a shock trophy win, but I'm fully expecting a solid professional Bayern to dismantle us 3-1 or so.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My preference to win the whole thing is: PSG > Lyon > Barcelona > RBL > Bayern > City

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Neymar scoring against Barcelona in the final - make this happen - a revenge has to be taken at all levels :D
My preference to win the whole thing is: PSG > Lyon > Barcelona > RBL > Bayern > City
Good man. However, Lyon winning this will be a sad day for Beautiful Football

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Auf geht's ihr Roten! My old Bayern shirt is ready.
Hopefully there won't be surprises. The teams from la liga, both Madrid and Atleti have been bad, a bit disconnected and not 100% physically. Let's hope that's the case again

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
More rested but also out of routine.
And based on this PSG and Lyon have an even bigger advantage.
They certainly do, although their league never continued, did it? So they actually have a mich better case of them being out of rhythm.

For the German teams, there were enough games played in the Bundesliga. The break in between helps them a lot more in terms of rest than it hurts in terms of being out of rhythm due to them still having played league games in comparison to the French teams.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
They certainly do, although their league never continued, did it? So they actually have a mich better case of them being out of rhythm.

For the German teams, there were enough games played in the Bundesliga. The break in between helps them a lot more in terms of rest than it hurts in terms of being out of rhythm due to them still having played league games in comparison to the French teams.
I really don't know.
Prior to Bayern - Chelsea the whole german press argued, that it would be a disadvantage for the german team that they didn't have any game for 4 or 5 weeks and had to go straight into a CL quarter final. I tend to agree with that. It's not like the spanish or italian clubs only had 3 days of rest prior to their CL game, which is quite normal during a normal season.

Maybe it evens out a bit?

I'm just not okay with your (? Or was it another person?) statement, that the rest of the CL campaign and a possible german winner can't be taken seriously because they had a huuuuge advantage, because they hadn't played any game 4 oder 5 weeks prior to the CL finals.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
For some reason, people keep vastly overrating 2020 Bayern. Even if they win 2-1 tonight, "easy 3-0" is a ridiculous prediction.
They're not being overrated. You just had to watch them since the restart to realize they are one step ahead of everyone in Europe. You haven't caught up.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
They're not being overrated. You just had to watch them since the restart to realize they are one step ahead of everyone in Europe. You haven't caught up.
We play really successful and good football since Flick took over, but as a Bayern Fan I'd also say that we are sligthly overrated on here around now.

Davies is the surprise of the season, but his positioning is sometimes bad, Alaba plays a great "quarterback" defender, but judging by pure defender skills, he isn't exactly a Ramos or van Dijk. Boateng may be in the best form of the last 3 or 4 years but it wouldn't be the first time for him to get embarrassed by Messi.
In the centre we tend to lose a bit of control once our (often insane and very good) pressing gets weaker due to tired legs.

I would say that we miiight just be the 55:45 favorites tonight, but some posts around here - how it would be an easy win for Bayern - really baffled me. But this may also be due to the fact, that I didn't watch many games of Barca this season, but when I did they looked quite good....so I don't really get the "this Barca team is so bad and nothing without Messi" posts either.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
We play really successful and good football since Flick took over, but as a Bayern Fan I'd also say that we are sligthly overrated on here around now.

Davies is the surprise of the season, but his positioning is sometimes bad, Alaba plays a great "quarterback" defender, but judging by pure defender skills, he isn't exactly a Ramos or van Dijk. Boateng may be in the best form of the last 3 or 4 years but it wouldn't be the first time for him to get embarrassed by Messi.
In the centre we tend to lose a bit of control once our (often insane and very good) pressing gets weaker due to tired legs.

I would say that we miiight just be the 55:45 favorites tonight, but some posts around here - how it would be an easy win for Bayern - really baffled me. But this may also be due to the fact, that I didn't watch many games of Barca this season, but when I did they looked quite good....so I don't really get the "this Barca team is so bad and nothing without Messi" posts either.
How come you're overrated if you're the best team left in the competition? You can only beat what's in front of you.

Messi has plenty of stinkers when he's not playing at the Camp Nou.

I'm tired of the Messi talk. The second half of Barcelona's game was very revealing. The team has a problem with keeping elevated fitness levels for 90 mins.

RedDevil@84

Stupid of Rummenigge to challenge Messi to go through Davies.
The kid may get destroyed if Messi gets inspired

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
At least they also don't have a load of Nazi followers , so there's that.
There was a study of political views of Fans of the 18 Bundesliga clubs and RB Leipzig was either top or top 3 on the right wing scale (can't remember exactly). So while they don't have a Nazi ultra scene like Chemnitz or Cottbus they've definitely a lot of AfD style supporters.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should be a great match from 2 teams that know nothing but attack.

If Bayern play to their best as a team they should win - but with Messi you just never know what's possible. The battle between him and Davies should prove key as there's no way Messi will chase him back, so he will get plenty of attacking room. Will he be able to stop Messi? should be fun to find out.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
There was a study of political views of Fans of the 18 Bundesliga clubs and RB Leipzig was either top or top 3 on the right wing scale (can't remember exactly). So while they don't have a Nazi ultra scene like Chemnitz or Cottbus they've definitely a lot of AfD style supporters.
That's granted for anything in the former DDR.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
That's granted for anything in the former DDR.
Eh? Not really? While the AfD is scoring horrendously high, there are a lot of people fiercely left wing. Bit easy to play the East Germany= right wing game, especially in the football context where a lot of Nazis have become dominant in West German clubs. People point at Dresden, Rostock etc. yet completely ignore Braunschweig, Aachen; even Dortmund had a big right wing issue up until a few years ago before they started acting against it.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@mazhar13 This summer you are being the absolute dominator of the transfer thread , replacing @United_We_Stand , another hero.
Thank you for taking the time and effort
I don't know if you intended to post the info here, but thanks for the kind words. I totally forgot about UWS, but him no longer being around to provide the news was partly why I decided to get involved.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know if you intended to post the info here, but thanks for the kind words. I totally forgot about UWS, but him no longer being around to provide the news was partly why I decided to get involved.
Yes, wrong thread

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Barca will have absolutely no chance at all. Team is done, no legs or speed left. Only way they score tonight is Messi magic or a fluke set piece. If Bayern get the early goal, I expect a historic trashing.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Neymar scoring against Barcelona in the final - make this happen - a revenge has to be taken at all levels :D

Good man. However, Lyon winning this will be a sad day for Beautiful Football
Yes because financially doped Arab playthings are brilliant for football.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Is "Pythagoras In Boots" your website/twitter handle?
Yup but the these articles are written by a member of the team (trying to focus on the YouTube side of things at the moment).

If Ed ever gets Sancho over the line, that is the next release!