Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

crossy1686

career ending
Yup, he sure is. Dominated Luka Modric vs Real Madrid multiple times, who is better than anything your team can offer AND dominated almost every other opponent. Arthur is one of the best, but you wouldn't know that as you haven't seen him dominate almost every opponent's midfield, in the league and as well as in the CL. The only outlandish thing is your ignorant words about Arthur as you haven't watched him enough to form a conclusion.
Don't bother writing about him if you don't know a thing. The fact the you have since mentioned Vidal in your posts again show you ignorance as he is not a starter at Barca - he is a sub who's usually subbed in around the 70th minute or so. So mentioning him in the way you do makes no sense.

Barca's midfield is ageing, but you didn't write that originally. You wrote the back line. How about making up your mind and not changing the premise of the discussion, because that's just lazy and makes you seem more uninformed that you already do. Barca's whole squad is ageing and yet they've only lost very few matched and dominate most opposition. They are experienced champions. My money is on them beating United because they simply have a better team overall with more quality, including Lionel Messi.

There is no arrogance. The only arrogance is you hyping up the English sides for the first time in what.. 10 years, because the Spanish clubs have been vastly better in Europe for a lot of years. That's a fact. Am I supposed to be impressed by English clubs finally showing some quality after so many years? Get a grip.

Also, Barca destroying you in 2011 and less so in 2009 (but still winning) has more to do with Pep's Barca being vastly better than anything United could come up with. Tactically and technically United were outclassed. It's very simple. As Ferguson said: "In my time as a manager, I would say they're the best team we've faced"(...)No one has given us a hiding like that.".

You sound like a semi delusional United fan who can't accept that you were played of the park by Messi and co.
And now you're having a hard time dealing with the fact that despite Barca not being at the level of Pep's Barca they are still the favourite against your club.
Conjuncture on your behalf. You play in a non competitive league that affords the kind of performances those players put in against severely underfunded and under resourced teams. More than half your records wouldn't stand if you played in the PL. Messi is brilliant, probably the best ever but he's still human.

Not disputing the finals, I was at the 2011 one and the best team definitely won, United weren't in it.

This game will be more even than people think it will. Just because I'm not bowing down at the feet of Barcelona like some sort of football deity doesn't mean I'm delusional.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I expect Psg game all over again. Two defensive lines and waiting for counter attack. In both games

soccergirl

Supports
Italy national team
If anyone who think Camp Nou is like PSG, then you are in for a rude awakening, and you are underestimate Barca and Messi. Sure, the Barca today is not like the Barca back in 2015 or whatever, but tbh, they have enough to beat MU. Try double hard as them and wish on luck is on MU side on both legs.

deadrevelz

Does this forum just allow
If anyone who think Camp Nou is like PSG, then you are in for a rude awakening, and you are underestimate Barca and Messi. Sure, the Barca today is not like the Barca back in 2015 or whatever, but tbh, they have enough to beat MU. Try double hard as them and wish on luck is on MU side on both legs.
Thank you for that profound insight.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Man Utd need to exploit the inconsistencies of Barça's defense, and those long minutes (usually 20th-40th, and 60-80th) when they seem out of the game (blame that on Valverde's personality).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
100% there are goals to be had against these lot...

Like I said already important we don't do another OT freeze job and take the game to them

charlenefan

This is how I feel we should line up against them

---------------De Gea---------------
Young--Smalling--Lindelof--Shaw
----------------Matic----------------
-------Pogba----------Herrera-------
---------------Lingard---------------
-------Lukaku--------Rashford-------

Probably wise to switch Pogba so he's not covering the same channel as Messi
Put Lingard on Busquets
Lukaku and Rashford to really put their back 4 against it
Easy Peasy ;)

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
United's defenders will be having nightmares tonight if they watched that Messi performance.

Suarez looks to have picked up a bad injury though, so....there's that.

Canagel

Barcelna Fan here.

Messi obviously is the key for Barca but if you watch barcelona the second most influentual player believe it or not is Jordi Alba everything goes through messi and he links up brilliantly with him.

Question? Who will mark Alba for Utd?
I cant see utd beating barca but hope for a good game with plenty of goals. Barca will always give away chances and if utd take them they have a chance.
maybe it's a job for rashford on the RF position to take advantage when alba makes his forays into the other half. we did something in the Tottenham game when their fullbacks went very high we had split strikers in the channel waiting for the counter attack.

Eddy_JukeZ

We pretty much have to win the game at OT.

We can't go in the Nou Camp with a tie or loss.

We'll have to play our best game of the season.

Valverde will use a 3 man midfield probably. Messi will vacate the right side in all likelihood. We'll have to be very good attacking their right side, because Rakitic will likely cover for Messi. Pogba/Shaw/Martial(or Rashford) will all need to be great going forward.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm always so sceptical against Spanish teams. 53 games - 12 wins - 22 draws - 18 losses. That's United's total record against Spanish teams with 45 of those games starting with SAF. In Spain United have only won 3. Our record against Barca is on par with the Spanish record (3W 5D 4L).

charlenefan

We pretty much have to win the game at OT.

We can't go in the Nou Camp with a tie or loss.

We'll have to play our best game of the season.

Valverde will use a 3 man midfield probably. Messi will vacate the right side in all likelihood. We'll have to be very good attacking their right side, because Rakitic will likely cover for Messi. Pogba/Shaw/Martial(or Rashford) will all need to be great going forward.
Tonight with no Dembele he went with a 4 (Vidal, Arthur, Rakatic, Busquets) like he did much of last season. They clearly don't fancy Coutinho at the moment so could be variations of 442 for both sides

Eddy_JukeZ

Tonight with no Dembele he went with a 4 (Vidal, Arthur, Rakatic, Busquets) like he did much of last season. They clearly don't fancy Coutinho at the moment so could be variations of 442 for both sides
I believe it was specific for the Betis game.

I would be very surprised if they went with a 4 in midfield vs us.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I believe it was specific for the Betis game.

I would be very surprised if they went with a 4 in midfield vs us.
Yup, most likely a 4-3-3 against you guys

This Messi goal from today, my god:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not confident but no expectation. I just want to see how our team fares against the best teams... So Ole will be able to assess it properly. As long as the players give their all, I won't complain, win or lose it's refreshing to be back at this stage of CL.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
United owe the fans a good performance and result. Our home European form has been spotty for about ten years, but is especially dire this season: scored one goal in four home games, which came in stoppage time against Young Boys and was greeted by sheer embarrassed relief. We’ve lost twice, with Ole already delivering our worst ever European home loss. £153 for sweet feck all so far, and my ticket is one of the cheaper ones.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We have virtually no chance. Just like against PSG.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I feel we should press them high up the pitch at OT rather than sitting back. Don't think we will do it but it's how I would go.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Barcelna Fan here.

Messi obviously is the key for Barca but if you watch barcelona the second most influentual player believe it or not is Jordi Alba everything goes through messi and he links up brilliantly with him.

Question? Who will mark Alba for Utd?
I cant see utd beating barca but hope for a good game with plenty of goals. Barca will always give away chances and if utd take them they have a chance.
Good point. We need to shore up the left. As Messi likes to play the LB/LW in. And Di Maria was destroying our left side in the last tie.

Sterling Archer

If we have any chance it requires matching numbers in midfield. No cute sh*t. Setup to grind out a win. Be focused, scrappy and clinical. Frankly, I don't think we can scrap well enough to get thru. It'll be more down to Barca having two off nights .

Ahsan_6386

Good point. We need to shore up the left. As Messi likes to play the LB/LW in. And Di Maria was destroying our left side in the last tie.
We will need to play both Dalot and Young on the right side to contain Messi and Alba . So we will need to sacrifice one of the front 3 for that so it's possible we will start a proper 4-4-2 with Lukaku and Rashford as strikers along with Pogba and Dalot starting on the wings which should be our best bet atleast for the away tie .

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
People saying we should start Dalot must have forgotten how ineffective he was against Wolves. Yet we think he should start against Barca? We're simply deluding ourselves. Our right side is the weakest I've seen for years

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yup, most likely a 4-3-3 against you guys

This Messi goal from today, my god:

He's been doing that for years. You can't plan against that level of genius, it's a once in a lifetime talent.

We don't have a Verratti type to shadow him throughout while having the talent elsewhere to hurt them. Their league is won, they can rest easy knowing how weak we are defensively and in midfield

Siorac

People saying we should start Dalot must have forgotten how ineffective he was against Wolves. Yet we think he should start against Barca? We're simply deluding ourselves. Our right side is the weakest I've seen for years
If we want to pick the starting XI based on the effectiveness against Wolves we might as well forfeit the tie right away. We won't be able to field a five-a-side team on that basis.

TRUERED89

Barca will murder us if we play anything like the same way as wolves, we looked so vulnerable on the counter attack and messi is the best in the world in this situation and will relish it. Hopefully because it’s Barca the team will have extra motivation. But concentration and application has to be at its highest.

D. Mungai

Messi to miss this game by whichever circumstance.

Oh God. Without Messi we beat them squarely.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
United are more likely to beat Barca than Ajax are to beat Real.

Just sayin'

tony54

The usual back four
herrera matic mctom
Pogba
Rashford lukaku

But seriously got to buy world class youngér players and not cast offs in the summer.

charlenefan

PSG's left, our right

Messi plays the exact opposite side of the pitch that Di Maria did in both legs

Strachans Cigar

On paper & on form we have little to no chance. I don’t expect us to progress. Very fortunate to get past a PSG with two of their main strikers out. However, all that said, this is cup football & and if we channel our inner Di Matteo, you never know :)

Barcelona are a great barometer to check the standard of our current players though, so as long as lessons are learned and we emerge wiser & stronger it’s not all in vain.

Kapardin

Reserving judgment on how we will fare against Barca till the break is over. It's true we have lost 2 games, but one was due to various missed chances and the second was due to playing too many lethargic players just back from injury. Both sloppy in different ways.

I expect we will return to a semblance of our early form under Ole post-international break which would give us a fighting chance against Barca. Importantly, Rashford and Pogba need to get firing again. If we remain as sloppy as we have been in the past 2 games, Barca will win the tie 4-1 or 5-1.