Champions League Quarter Finals 2020/21 - Apr 6/7 & 13/14

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
You’re missing the point. The no history jibe was thrown around in the early Abramovich years. Them coming out with that shit in the face of Champions League semi finals earned with Abramovich’s gold is fecking stupid. It doesn’t prove those initial jibes wrong.
They were wrong back then, but now they aren't. Chelsea now has history. And even before Abramović, they had far more history than City, such as the Chelsea 90s side with Ruud Gullit as a player and also coach.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Just enjoying the moment until we find out who we beat to be back in the final.

RedDevilzFox

Chelsea may change managers like paper towel but they always seem to get good results and are in the hunt whether its PL or CL. We hang on to 'wannabes' out of nothing but pure nostalgia and reminisce about fergie times.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Chelsea will get knocked out in the semi finals imo. Liverpool and City are the ones that worry me.

On yesterdays game, PSG just about stumble through. Based on the highlights Neymar seemed to be the driving force for PSG but at the same time in the final third he was a bit wasteful - he should have finished that one on one chance, and if not that, passed on the one where Mbappe was in a much better position. There's a cohesion and chemistry that is lacking in their attack for me. And given that play with 4 attackers that shouldn't be the case

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Chelsea may change managers like paper towel but they always seem to get good results and are in the hunt whether its PL or CL. We hang on to 'wannabes' out of nothing but pure nostalgia and reminisce about fergie times.
Yeah people make fun of their chopping and changing but more often than not they make it work.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Chelsea will get knocked out in the semi finals imo. Liverpool and City are the ones that worry me.

On yesterdays game, PSG just about stumble through. Based on the highlights Neymar seemed to be the driving force for PSG but at the same time in the final third he was a bit wasteful - he should have finished that one on one chance, and if not that, passed on the one where Mbappe was in a much better position. There's a cohesion and chemistry that is lacking in their attack for me. And given that play with 4 attackers that shouldn't be the case
Di María was MOTM in my opinion.

I would also say that PSG's football in the first half was pretty good, they passed the ball from the back often incredibly well, getting through Bayern's high pressing, and created a fair amount of truly great chances. It's a collective level that I hadn't witnessed from PSG before.

RedDevilzFox

Yeah people make fun of their chopping and changing but more often than not they make it work.
I think they run the club far more based on 'performance and results' than almost any other club in England. There is little room for sentiment and it works for them. I didn't think Lampard was even doing that bad and his teams seemed to play good co-ordinated football, far more than what I have seen from us. Add on top of the fact he is their club legend but it didn't matter in their setup. You perform or you get shipped out, very binary. I admire that somewhat.

mu4c_20le

You remind me of an old bloke at the bar who always finds something to rant about.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Chelsea look like a completely different team when Kante starts the game. Tuchel is bringing him back to his best.

mu4c_20le

he’s not wrong though, in football nothing is less interesting than the past
It makes as much sense as saying you guys should abandon La Masia and start buying more Suarez's and Griezmanns to get back to the top. Besides, its the usual chelsea envy rant that we get every once in awhile, but usually when we're doing bad. We're two clubs that are run differently and it's a lot more than just hanging onto a single manager.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It makes as much sense as saying you guys should abandon La Masia and start buying more Suarez's and Griezmanns to get back to the top. Besides, its the usual chelsea envy rant that we get every once in awhile, but usually when we're doing bad. We're two clubs that are run differently and it's a lot more than just hanging onto a single manager.
suarez won us a treble

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
You can’t deny how good the first half of PSG was.
I’m happy all the PSG players played well today. It doesn’t happen often. Great performance.
Bayern were unlucky that Lewandowski was missing but Choupo did a fine job with 2 goals overall. And we were missing Verratti, Marquinhos, Diallo (who missed 2 half times), Bernat, Florenzi...
We also can’t be sure Lewan would have made a difference
We missed not only Lewandowski. Süle, Goretzka, Tolisso, Gnabry, Roca and Costa were missing on top.

Real Name

To think Lewamdowski got injured while playing vs Andorra..
Other than him Bayern missed really a lot of players. Not saying result would have been different if they didn't missed them but it would make a difference.
In an ideal world Dortmund would knock City out and go all the way.

RkkMan

What? Guardiola fixed City's defense this year (Rúben Días also was crucial), they have been amazingly rock-solid defensively and even spent many games without suffering goals, it's perhaps the best that City has ever been defensively, even more so when compared to City last season and how vulnerable they were to counters. If it wasn't for City's bad PL start in the first months, in which Guardiola still hadn't fixed City's problems (suffering 5 goals against Leicester in one match is the best example), City might even have been able to match Chelsea's record of suffering only 15 goals in a PL season.

I can't agree with this feeling. A new champion, such as City and PSG, would be far better than Real. I choose City to win because I love Guardiola and City has been having by far the most consistent and amazing season in all Europe, they have effectively been the best team in Europe the most in this season. City is due a champions because of their also amazing previous seasons and football.

There is no club I hate more than Real Madrid. And they have 3 UCLs in a row pretty much yesterday, I'm sick of Real and Zidane's black magic.

Maybe Draxler can already be considered a failed promise at this point.

Mbappé, Neymar and Di María at their best are so fast, smooth, skilled and silky. Any top team would have serious trouble holding them. On their day, it's impossible, they are gonna create at least a few great chances because they are so good.

Sané and Coman were so frustrating today. Imagine Ribéry and Robben, specially Robben, in their places.
City winning the CL would confirm that the little heritage that existed in football is all but gone and Oil Money is practically what rules the sport now. Them beating UEFA in court when they were practically guilty, FFP sanctions being relaxed and then winning the CL would be a severe hammer blow to football as we know it and we'd see a much bigger rise in State Owned clubs with the more historical clubs becoming phased into irrelevancy. I'll practically loathe every minute of football if they win it.
Not to mention they may possibly even win the treble and that would severely dent Utd's place in the PL/European History Books

NoneBmStore

That was a lovely display of diving, referee shit housery and time wasting interrupted by 10 minutes of foodball
Horrid referee display. I’m actually more angree than the VAR against Tottenham

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We were. Kimmich had a terrible game. Sané even worse. Choupo-Moting scored but is nowhere near the level you need to compete. Phonzie had a poor game as well.

Boateng and Neuer were the two players showing their class.
Yeah, the commentators were going on about how gripping a contest it was which I disagreed with. PSG never looked in trouble for most parts of the game.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That was a lovely display of diving, referee shit housery and time wasting interrupted by 10 minutes of foodball
Horrid referee display. I’m actually more angree than the VAR against Tottenham
4 minutes added on. At least 1.5 of which was singlehandedly wasted by Navas taking forever over a goal kick (with the ref warning him) and subsequently "receiving treatment" after a nasty picking-the-ball-up accident. The ref then blows up at about 94:06.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yeah but these 'what if' scenarios don't really follow a logical sense. Lewandowski played against an injured PSG in the final last season and didn't score a goal, maybe their game changes with Lewandowski, maybe this or that, it's all hearsay. If Veratti was healthy and Marquinhos played the second leg, do Bayern still score a goal or PSG don't get more counters resulting in goals? It's not worth mentioning in the end because no one is going to care a year from now, everybody deals with tough injuries and PSG has been missing the world's most expensive players two out of their last four champion's league seasons. Cry me a fecking river.
I'm only mentioning it since the only reason PSG are even where they are is because someone gave the club a obscene amount of money, not because they accomplished it themselves on merit. PSG is everything that's wrong with a modern football market.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm only mentioning it since the only reason PSG are even where they are is because someone gave the club a obscene amount of money, not because they accomplished it themselves on merit. PSG is everything that's wrong with a modern football market.
Sorry but whenever there's mentions of XYZ is what's wrong with modern football, I tune out. PSG has been to semi-finals of the CL before the obscene amounts of money FYI, has had great players, it's a young club but it's got history before the money that people conveniently forget to push their narrative of what's wrong with modern football.

For me, there is no problem, I want to see new clubs coming through from all over Europe, I'm tired of the old guard and that whenever a great player comes along, he has to go to Real Madrid or Barcelona and add to their silverware, or he has to play in England now, it's nonsense and it's gatekeeping success to the old guard which I don't think is ever good for the sport in general. Unfortunately, the only way to break that mold is through money, especially in the French league which generates nowhere near what England or even Spain do, and PSG's got plenty of it. Too bad.

I know some people don't like that they can get some of the best players in the world, added to the fact they're very difficult to take players from, and there's fans who feel entitled to having those players in their league or team, but that's all I really see it as, entitlement.

Mshafeek

Funny how some people who don't like 'oil' clubs winning would not mind Real winning it. Can't fathom how anyone outside their fanbase would want Real to win anything , let alone the CL again. For every money spending sin committed in football, Real has to take part of the blame. They are the original sinners. They are also part of what is wrong with football.

georgipep

That has nothing to do with injured players though. And Bayern are not exactly a poor team that competes in the most honest way, sucking up all the top talent in the Bundesliga, including Lewandowski.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
As unpopular as this opinion may be on this forum, the first thing I thought about when I read this tweet is that Ferguson underachieved in Europe
Neh that’s not wildly unpopular at all I’d argue, however it’s a discussion for another thread.

RooneyLegend

Sorry but whenever there's mentions of XYZ is what's wrong with modern football, I tune out. PSG has been to semi-finals of the CL before the obscene amounts of money FYI, has had great players, it's a young club but it's got history before the money that people conveniently forget to push their narrative of what's wrong with modern football.

For me, there is no problem, I want to see new clubs coming through from all over Europe, I'm tired of the old guard and that whenever a great player comes along, he has to go to Real Madrid or Barcelona and add to their silverware, or he has to play in England now, it's nonsense and it's gatekeeping success to the old guard which I don't think is ever good for the sport in general. Unfortunately, the only way to break that mold is through money, especially in the French league which generates nowhere near what England or even Spain do, and PSG's got plenty of it. Too bad.

I know some people don't like that they can get some of the best players in the world, added to the fact they're very difficult to take players from, and there's fans who feel entitled to having those players in their league or team, but that's all I really see it as, entitlement.
Can't disagree with any of that. Mind you, these historic clubs have had outside investment to get where they are at some point in their history.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
7 of them were in the 10 year span between 2004 and 2014. It's crazy to think we were that close so many times, and had the team capable of going all the way, but only won it the one time.

TheReligion

Abusive
Go and support Chelsea then.

Wait. You're not even a United fan anyway. Just look at your posts.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Surprised it was so tight between Chelsea and Porto.

That last gasp goal in the 1st leg really was important.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

PSG were bought from obscurity. A bit like Manchester City. Fans of the club can be as salty about that as they want, but when they behave the way they do, I'll pop the champagne when they fail to win the French league.

Crustanoid

do people still hate chelsea that much, so they support porto?
I don’t know if people hate them but they are all that is wrong with a sport which is on its deathbed due to the sustained influence of corruption, greed and sports washing. I probably hate FIFA and UEFA more for letting it happen

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Surprised it was so tight between Chelsea and Porto.

That last gasp goal in the 1st leg really was important.
I don't know why I thought they were the Portuguese version of Atletico Madrid, but I was surprised by how well they passed the ball about in the middle of the park. Extremely physical, but technically really good team. Horrible to play against, in the good sense.

Wayne's World

If Liverpool get through the Madrid tie tonight.....It's been a nightmare past 3-4 years for United fans but I think the icing on the cake of pain would be a City-Liverpool final...:nervous::(

always_hoping

3-1 down but I'd certainly not rule Liverpool out especially with 3 of Madrids first choice back 4 out in Varane, Ramos and Vázquez. Carvajal could have filled in for the latter but he's also out injured.

On another note Klopps home record against Real Madrid is played 3 and won 3. and the last two results was 2-0, 4-1 a repeat of any of those results will send Liverpool through to the semi finals (stranger things have happened)

laughtersassassin

If Liverpool get through the Madrid tie tonight.....It's been a nightmare past 3-4 years for United fans but I think the icing on the cake of pain would be a City-Liverpool final...:nervous::(
If that final happens id be the biggest Man City supporter in the world that day, even if they are on for the quadruple or treble.

Also agreed on the nightmare. How we waste summer after summer when our two biggest rivals dominate world football is an absolute disgrace