Champions League Quarter Finals 2020/21 - Apr 6/7 & 13/14

Hoof the ball

Let's not pretend that no Lewandowski, Gnabry and Goretska wasn't the difference. It was. That's like playing PSG without Neymar, Mbappe and Verratti. One team was more stacked with their key players than the other.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Let's not pretend that no Lewandowski, Gnabry and Goretska wasn't the difference. It was. That's like playing PSG without Neymar, Mbappe and Verratti. One team was more stacked with their key players than the other.
We expect PSG to lose without Neymar and Mbappe because it's common knowledge that PSG don't have a great squad or management and are carried by superstar players. Bayern are supposed to be a super well-run club with a great squad. We expect more from them than "well this guy who's turning 33 is injured so we can't score anymore."

On the other hand I don't want Real Madrid to win it either, mainly because I don't really like the idea of them going down as this extremely dominant team in this era of European football when for the most part they weren't that dominant.
There aren't many metrics by which they weren't extremely dominant. They played the most semifinals and finals, and won the most finals. They played the most consecutive finals and the most consecutive semifinals. Their top player set the 1st and 2nd goalscoring records for a single CL season and shares the 3rd. In 2014 they won 11 games, which is joint highest games won in a CL campaign in the last decade, shared with Barcelona's 2015 run. Their 4-1 victory over Juventus was the most lopsided final of the decade. They didn't face a serious rival in the CL that they didn't clobber at least once.

George the Cat

Some of us on here do actually support MUFC so we know all about hating owners but let’s not kid ourselves it’s anyone apart from the Dippers or city winning it.

Mike Smalling

Except for Dortmund, I don't really want to see any of the remaining teams win this. Would probably rank them like this: Dortmund > Madrid > PSG > Chelsea > Liverpool > City.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's the concept of using football as a way to whitewash abhorrent regimes that i disagree with. We've gone well beyond investment to aid marketing, we've now got states and oligarchs buying into clubs to exert influence and gloss over the atrocious things they've done and continue to do. If the clubs win the CL, it's a win for the regime that sponsors them. Abramovich is a lesser evil but his Chelsea ownership was still originally a way to raise his profile and make it less likely for him to end up dead or in jail for his past activities.

People use clubs like Blackburn or Madrid as examples of how this has already happened in the past, but a local businessman or a local council investing in the local club is very different.
And instead you buy shirts of sponsors that produce their merchandise in third world countries through child labor and have a history of blackmailing sport functionaries. Or you cheer for teams whose officials like to criticize oil clubs right before boarding a plain to their training camp in Saudi Arabia. Or buy bottled drinks of companies that believe that the availability of drinking water is not a human right. And probably you order all that stuff over a smart phone that was assembled in child labor and will end up in some Asian garbage dump where other children pick up the remains in order to sell the rare resources in it - which again stem from third world mines with working conditions just as bad as everything you encounter in Qatar or Abu Dhabi.

I get that City and PSG are sort of the "football embodiments" of that but that's primarily because we're so used to overlook the malicious stuff that more established institutions do on a daily basis. I'm all for changing that but if you do that by boycott you have to change your whole lifestyle.

Crustanoid

3-1 down but I'd certainly not rule Liverpool out especially with 3 of Madrids first choice back 4 out in Varane, Ramos and Vázquez. Carvajal could have filled in for the latter but he's also out injured.

On another note Klopps home record against Real Madrid is played 3 and won 3. and the last two results was 2-0, 4-1 a repeat of any of those results will send Liverpool through to the semi finals (stranger things have happened)
Yep, it’s nailed on that Liverpool will pull this round. I’m not seeing any other result at the moment

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
An obvious and simple thing to say, but if Lewandowski was fit for both ties then Bayern go through. They created so many opportunities in both legs, but just completely squandered them. Lewandowski would have surely dispatched a few of them. Not to say that PSG didn't have their chances, mind; they could've got a few more, too.

As for tonight, I think City will dispatch Dortmund with relative ease, and Madrid will do the job and Anfield. Also don't think City will fear PSG at all, so I think they will beat them as well in the next round.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
On another note Klopps home record against Real Madrid is played 3 and won 3. and the last two results was 2-0, 4-1 a repeat of any of those results will send Liverpool through to the semi finals (stranger things have happened)
Maybe.

In both of these ties, the team that won the first game (Real Madrid in 2014, Dortmund in 2013) went through by one goal, having lost a two-goal advantage.

So Liverpool will win 2-1.

And instead you buy shirts of sponsors that produce their merchandise in third world countries through child labor and have a history of blackmailing sport functionaries. Or you cheer for teams whose officials like to criticize oil clubs right before boarding a plain to their training camp in Saudi Arabia. Or buy bottled drinks of companies that believe that the availability of drinking water is not a human right. And probably you order all that stuff over a smart phone that was assembled in child labor and will end up in some Asian garbage dump where other children pick up the remains in order to sell the rare resources in it - which again stem from third world mines with working conditions just as bad as everything you encounter in Qatar or Abu Dhabi.

I get that City and PSG are sort of the "football embodiments" of that but that's primarily because we're so used to overlook the malicious stuff that more established institutions do on a daily basis. I'm all for changing that but if you do that by boycott you have to change your whole lifestyle.
That's because they ARE in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and countries like that.

For me it's simple. Many companies have shady processes as a byproduct of what they do, and they work hard to improve themselves. With the plastic club owners, the shady processes are at the centre of what they do, and they have little desire to improve things beyond simply covering it up via football clubs ownership and other things.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

For me it's simple. Many companies have shady processes as a byproduct of what they do, and they work hard to improve themselves. With the plastic club owners, the shady processes are at the centre of what they do, and they have little desire to improve things beyond simply covering it up via football clubs ownership and other things.
I think you're depicting this a little bit too simplistic.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think you're depicting this a little bit too simplistic.
It is easier than holding their club to a higher standard because they are spending just as much money, but not doing it very well. It is like when people thump their chest about all their history, they are just really pointing out how far they have fallen from that history.

It is a sport, it is about winning and losing, and about having some brews with your friends while enjoying a game. If you need to teeth gnash and whine, you're doing it wrong.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
A shock win for Dortmund would make this a really entertaining year. Can't see Liverpool having a chance in the second leg with no crowd at Anfield.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
There aren't many metrics by which they weren't extremely dominant. They played the most semifinals and finals, and won the most finals. They played the most consecutive finals and the most consecutive semifinals. Their top player set the 1st and 2nd goalscoring records for a single CL season and shares the 3rd. In 2014 they won 11 games, which is joint highest games won in a CL campaign in the last decade, shared with Barcelona's 2015 run. Their 4-1 victory over Juventus was the most lopsided final of the decade. They didn't face a serious rival in the CL that they didn't clobber at least once.
Absolutely correct yes. Real Madrid were truly dominant and a joy to watch. They scored the best goals as well (CR7's overhead kick and Bale's overhead kick for example).

They literally thrashed every top team. Atletico Madrid- thrashed. Bayern- thrashed repeatedly. Juventus- thrashed. Dortmund- thrashed. Liverpool- thrashed.

In 2018, I said to a Bayern fan "before you make any excuses, just try and avoid defeat in your stadium. You keep losing to Real in your own stadium, just try to avoid losing at home first before you talk". They couldn't. They lost 3 home games to Real and they still thought they're the better team- utterly delusional.

Last edited:

fcnrz

Absolutely correct yes. Real Madrid were truly dominant and a joy to watch. They scored the best goals as well (CR7's overhead kick and Bale's overhead kick for example).

They literally thrashed every top team. Atletico Madrid- thrashed. Bayern- thrashed repeatedly. Juventus- thrashed. Dortmund- thrashed. Liverpool- thrashed.

In 2018, I said to a Bayern fan "before you make any excuses, just try and avoid defeat in your stadium. You keep losing to Real in your own stadium, just try to avoid losing at home first before you talk". They couldn't. They lost 3 home games to Real and they still thought they're the better team- utterly delusional.
This is some funny stuff. 2014 was deserved win for Real. But the last two ties even though bayern lost both at home won in 90 mins away and needed a red card and two offisde calls to be eliminated in ET. And the next year Real barely scrapped a 2-2 at home vs bayern getting dominated and another clear penalty not given by Cakir for Marcelos handball that even marcelo admitted it was a penalty. The way you are writting you would think it was all Real while it was mostly 50-50 with some referee factors here and there. Dont know who is delusional here

SeanyC

Can see City winning it now, that PSG defence is very leaky, only way to stop that is if the front lads produce a performance worthy of their salaries

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Dortmund has more players questionable. I think the only competitive match will be Real.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Dortmund to go through.

Liverpool will put up a fight but ultimately RM will get through.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Only thing I’m asking for is a fight, not the limp dick shite we put in last week. No crowd and barely Europa standard CB’s will kill us ultimately, however, I just want to see us give this a proper go.

Oh and leave Mane on the bench. He’s more likely to score for Madrid than us.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG were bought from obscurity. A bit like Manchester City. Fans of the club can be as salty about that as they want, but when they behave the way they do, I'll pop the champagne when they fail to win the French league.
Feels like the salt is coming more from you and fanbases of other clubs than City/PSG fans.

Ladron de redcafe

If Liverpool get through the Madrid tie tonight.....It's been a nightmare past 3-4 years for United fans but I think the icing on the cake of pain would be a City-Liverpool final...:nervous::(
It's really unlikely. It isn't just that they face a first leg deficit. They were brushed aside comfortably a week ago. Madrid outclassed them.

Even with their injuries, I don't see Madrid's level dropping so far that they blow this lead.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

That's either some great mental gymnastic or a mind-blowing naivety. Keep telling yourself that, you might end up believing it.

Wayne's World

Only thing I’m asking for is a fight, not the limp dick shite we put in last week. No crowd and barely Europa standard CB’s will kill us ultimately, however, I just want to see us give this a proper go.

Oh and leave Mane on the bench. He’s more likely to score for Madrid than us.
Any leaks to the Liverpool team yet? Always seen the team a few hours before kick-off recently

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Feels like the salt is coming more from you and fanbases of other clubs than City/PSG fans.
I'm not salty, I just really dislike the way PSG came to be.

You can be critical of something without being labeled the mineral version of a Karen

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm not salty, I just really dislike the way PSG came to be.

You can be critical of something without being labeled the mineral version of a Karen
Not on the internet, you can't.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd really like to see what's the drop off in baby girls being named Karen nowadays, I have to imagine it's going to be a steep one when this social media generation get to the point of making kids.

Crustanoid

Dortmund to go through.

Liverpool will put up a fight but ultimately RM will get through.
That would be amazing but sadly it will be the mirror opposite. City will smash Dortmund, the Dippers will pull it out of the bag.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not on the internet, you can't.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd really like to see what's the drop off in baby girls being named Karen nowadays, I have to imagine it's going to be a steep one when this social media generation get to the point of making kids.
Has Karen even been popular in the last two generations let alone this one? Because of my Dads work i swapped schools (90s and early 00s) as often as Watford swap managers and i never came across a Karen.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Any leaks to the Liverpool team yet? Always seen the team a few hours before kick-off recently
Alisson didn't train yesterday I think. He's been making mistakes recently tbf but I'd rather have him in goal.

Pretty sure Madrid will score and kill it off.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Alisson didn't train yesterday I think. He's been making mistakes recently tbf but I'd rather have him in goal.

Pretty sure Madrid will score and kill it off.
Fingers crossed.