Champions League Quarter Finals (3rd - 11th April)

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Right, now for something completely different (different from spouting bile over those jammy Real feckers, who I hope will step on the pointiest legos every day for the rest of their miserable, trophy-filled lives, that is) - I think Ribery and Robben showed their age yesterday. Robben simply can't beat a man in a one on one situation now, he hasn't got the legs for these short sprints anymore.
Bit pissed at their apparent extensions. I would be fine with it if both of them were the Scholl type and we still could sign a good replacement, but we both know that won't happen. Fingers crossed that Martial is a tad too tempting I guess.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema's absence was probably the biggest reason why Real Madrid struggled badly last night.

The guy is a constant presence that can either drop deep to relieve the midfield pressure or holding up the ball to bring his teammates into the play in higher positions.

Never mind that Ronaldo become much more effective when the Frenchman is on.

His goalscoring form may be low, but Benzema brings much more into the table that Real Madrid benefits greatly.

If they lost tonight, Benzema's importance for the team would've been much more highlighted.
You are probably right in this one.Martin Vazquez was the first saying yesterday that Benzema is essential for the team,since Cristiano was very alone in the attack.

Pagh Wraith

The more I watch it the more I convince myself it wasn't a penalty. Not sure if I'm being influenced by the media which largely agrees it wasn't a pen. Tricky one.

Rajma

This. Before last night, I would have said Real were favourites, but now I would say it is wide open, although Real clearly missed Ramos last night.
Ramos apparently is subject to another ban and missing first leg of SFs since he turned up in the tunnel to watch dying moments of the game (against the rules if you're banned).

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
The fact that they say it isn't a clear penalty means that the decision can go either way so you can't blame the ref for making the wrong (or right) decision. Also, Buffon was clearly displaying unsportsmanlike behavior with hands on the ref and likely warned to step away which he clearly ignored. I can't say whether the ref was right or wrong in giving the penalty but Buffon got himself sent off by getting in the ref's face like that despite knowing all too well that the ref wouldn't reverse his decision. The fact that he is the captain is irrelevant. If anything, as the captain he should have kept a cool-head given the circumstances and prepared for the penalty. How you call the ref a moron is harsh and unfair. I get that you are upset especially at the nature and timing of these key decisions, however.
First of all they say it was not. In Turin there was a much clearer penalty against Real not given and nobody said a word. If the same contact was in Real's box most people doubt that it would have been given. This after a match in which Juve got 6 yellow and 1 red and Real 2 yellows after 90 minutes of shameful diving by Cristiano that is a great player but not a great man, it is not the first time and will not be the last that he spend the game to try to get referee's decisions.
Having said that Buffon was clearly incensed and exceeded in his protests especially after the game but a good referee reads the game and the situation in that situation.

By the way I have not taken exception to the penalty in itself even though from several videos did not seem to be real nor I am too surprised that Real gets advantages in dubious situations, it always happens to stronger teams including Juve, but reading that was a stonewall penalty and other moronic things of that level are just ridiculous

Last edited:

minoo-utd

Feck Real. Now I don't know what will happen! we need some one from Bayern or Roma to win it.
What if Real vs Liverpool final? shit.

Kapardin

Feck Real. Now I don't know what will happen! we need some one from Bayern or Roma to win it.
What if Real vs Liverpool final? shit.
I don't hate Real. Sure, they tried/are trying to get de Gea but apart from that we don't currently have a major beef with them.

Considering Barca supporters and their Guardiola/City fixation, I'd rather see Real dominate La Liga/CL.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Right, now for something completely different (different from spouting bile over those jammy Real feckers, who I hope will step on the pointiest legos every day for the rest of their miserable, trophy-filled lives, that is) - I think Ribery and Robben showed their age yesterday. Robben simply can't beat a man in a one on one situation now, he hasn't got the legs for these short sprints anymore.
Robben is prone to be a bit over-eager when he thinks he got to prove something, and it doesn't help his decision-making usually. I think that is the case here, with his contract situation, one does not lose that kind of speed in three months. I believe, secretly, he quite likes to be in Munich :D
Rib was mighty strong yesterday, as in the past few matches. Kicker today says his 1 year extension is a done deal, he seems to have accepted the loss of his 1st team starter status.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Bayern will win the CL, calling it now. I feel like everyone is tired of Real + this penalty, while justified, has hurt Real's goodwill with the football gods.
still doubt it very much. either we bottle it against Roma or Pool, or we dominate Real over two legs and lose due to a penaldo in the 98th minute of the return leg.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh yes the straight red card for dissent. Probably insulted his mother. Come on, the push from him on the ref was absolutely minor and there's not a single phrase (other than racism) that should result in a straight red for anybody. Oliver just babied out. Look at his face during the situation. He's about to wet himself.
In the last Spanish Supercup, Cristiano Ronaldo was banned 5 games because of a 'minor push' on the referee, when he was red carded for a foul he didn't even made. And he didn't shout in the face of the referee like Buffon did today.

Last edited by a moderator:

T A

Bayern seems weaker than what i thought, their wings are simply not strong enough both offensively and defensively. Feck now i have bad feelings about Liverpool, please UEFA give FC Scouse Real in semis

Peanut Butter

I don't hate Real. Sure, they tried/are trying to get de Gea but apart from that we don't currently have a major beef with them.

Considering Barca supporters and their Guardiola/City fixation, I'd rather see Real dominate La Liga/CL.
Same here, couldn’t give two hoots about Real. Barca on the other hand with their more than a club rubbish, can’t stand them.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
La Gazzeta Dello Sport, the most important Sports newspaper in Italy published today in one of their articles that Buffon said to the referee 'vai a cagare' that can be translated as 'go to hell'. If we it translate literally, it would be 'go to shit'.

With that, the way he shouted him at 1 inch from his face and that he touched him. I mean, everybody loves Buffon, but can't blame Oliver for showing him the red card.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retrokicks

Liverpool's played sensationally well and have looked like the best team by a mile. They've only really had that one blip against Sevilla, but they've solidified their team since then.

I think it could get embarrassing against Real! Can they keep relying on Ron to bail them out, probably not.

There's only one team that's got Liverpool's number on a consistent basis, shame were not in it though.

slyadams

Ah, but what is "a disservice to the players and fans" is precisely what I'm suggesting is in dispute! I think yours is a fair philosophy, but mine is that the end of that match--awarding an iffy penalty in those circumstances--is the real disservice. It depends on what we think the point of the whole thing is! I'm suggesting that some people, like me, and clearly like Gianluigi Buffon, believe that there is a larger story that we are all servicing.
The referee doesn't think it was iffy, so the point doesn't really hold water. Do you think he was thinking 'hmmmm, this is iffy, but I'm going to give it and narrative be damned'?

slyadams

Absolutely. And my question to those who think 'narratives' matter in light of a refereeing decision, who exactly is entitled to decide a particular narrative in the first place? Because surely, by definition, any given narrative is subject to personal opinions or even feelings towards something.

I just don't get it.
And at what point does narrative outweigh the rules? Is it a continuum, does a bit of narrative (e.g. a player returning from a long injury against the team that injured him) outweigh some rules, but a huge narrative (e.g. a team coming back from 3-0 down in a World Cup final) throw almost all the rules out the window?

Or is this all just b.s. and the rules are the rules?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The referee doesn't think it was iffy, so the point doesn't really hold water. Do you think he was thinking 'hmmmm, this is iffy, but I'm going to give it and narrative be damned'?
it was iffy at best and Oliver took part in deciding a tie much bigger than him from the start, a twat acting the god instead of an invisible, authoritative referee... however, not asking for sympathy here but this is bigger than just a rule and the mechanistic call, it is like a glorious selfie hacked or bombed by an utter cretin: not understanding the story unfolding under your eyes, the epic and the drama and the prestige of extra time between such big teams after two legs gone in such fashion... Oliver is just a petulant, immature twat who took a scene he did not belong to.

ZAGREB RED

Ramos apparently is subject to another ban and missing first leg of SFs since he turned up in the tunnel to watch dying moments of the game (against the rules if you're banned).
Hadn't heard that, but if that does happen, then they don't really appear to have a direct replacement for him that is anywhere near his standard. Defensively they were all over the place against Juventus, whatever you think of Ramos he is a really tough defender and a leader. Hate to say it, but I think Liverpool would probably have turned Real over last night on their performance.
I did think it was a penalty, but they got out of jail. As for Buffon, he let his team down last night by getting sent off. Heat of the moment and all that, but had he stayed on he could have saved the penalty and sent the game into extra time. It's all academic now I suppose.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
it was iffy at best and Oliver took part in deciding a tie much bigger than him from the start, a twat acting the god instead of an invisible, authoritative referee... however, not asking for sympathy here but this is bigger than just a rule and the mechanistic call, it is like a glorious selfie hacked or bombed by an utter cretin: not understanding the story unfolding under your eyes, the epic and the drama and the prestige of extra time between such big teams after two legs gone in such fashion... Oliver is just a petulant, immature twat who took a scene he did not belong to.
That doesn't make any sense. That's clattenburg level of ref you are talking about. Why should ref care about stories and narratives, he thought that was a clear penalty and gave one.

slyadams

Sorry, but I cannot comprehend people wanting referees to make different decisions based on a game's narrative.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
That doesn't make any sense. That's clattenburg level of ref you are talking about. Why should ref care about stories and narratives, he thought that was a clear penalty and gave one.
Sorry, but I cannot comprehend people wanting referees to make different decisions based on a game's narrative.
I do not think Oliver is a sociopath like Clattenburg or a malicious agent like Ovrebo... just immature and inadequate for the big stage, which he actually settled yesterday with an iffy call. You even have a topic with 2.5k posts from his latest 5 years, come on :lol:.

roonster09

Scout
I do not think Oliver is a sociopath like Clattenburg or a malicious agent like Ovrebo... just immature and inadequate for the big stage, which he actually settled yesterday with an iffy call. You even have a topic with 2.5k posts from his latest 5 years, come on :lol:.
Of course, he is poor ref and very inconsistent one. That's not the question, his decision to award penalty. It was penalty and he gave it. What's wrong in that.

James Peril

Never a penalty.

And you really need a very good reason to give a penalty in the last seconds of such a game. And yes, time and place make a difference.

It is obvious that this referee is not good enough for such big occasions. Unfortunately, they had to send someone from England because that's how those things work. But there are no good referees from England. (As there are zero top managers from England ... sorry, that's the truth).
Wrong. And wrong again, time and place does not make a difference. In your book maybe, but you’re not a referee and you obviously don’t know the rules properly.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Of course, he is poor ref and very inconsistent one. That's not the question, his decision to award penalty. It was penalty and he gave it. What's wrong in that.
This “Of course, he is poor ref and very inconsistent one” puts that “It was penalty and he gave it” in the right perspective. We can add that the penalty was iffy at best and the photobombing of a sport event worth billions and watched worldwide is complete.

ChrisNelson

I thought it was a penalty and it would have looked more like one from Oliver's angle. There's a shove (slight but that's all it needs to be) and then a wrap around leg and you just can't do that in the box. Vazquez has his body between Benatia and the ball. Benatia fouls him. I know there are refs out there that wouldn't have given it, and it's divided opinion but I think it was just about a fair decision.

The penalty itself was brilliantly executed, genuinely don't think that man Ronaldo knows what pressure is.

One thing I would say is for someone of such experience, Buffon despite being as wound up as he was, should have known that he was much more likely to save the penalty than his replacement. Who knows, he could have tipped it around the post and Juve could still have gone through.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
La Gazzeta Dello Sport, the most important Sports newspaper in Italy published today in one of their articles that Buffon said to the referee 'vai a cagare' that can be translated as 'go to hell'. If we it translate literally, it would be 'go to shit'. I mean, everybody loves Buffon, but can't blame Oliver for showing him the red card.
So basically a red card for telling him to go home to England. :nervous:

slyadams

This “Of course, he is poor ref and very inconsistent one” puts that “It was penalty and he gave it” in the right perspective. We can add that the penalty was iffy at best and the photobombing of a sport event worth billions and watched worldwide is complete.
Sorry, but no. You can't say that a poor referee making a good decision means the decision is iffy. It was a good decision, you can beat him with many sticks, but not this one.

You can even debate whether it was a penalty or not, what you can't say is that the narrative moves the 'is it a penalty or not' needle. Narrative, time of match, month of year, phase of moon etc. is 100% irrelevant to applying the rules.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Sorry, but no. You can't say that a poor referee making a good decision means the decision is iffy. It was a good decision, you can beat him with many sticks, but not this one.

You can even debate whether it was a penalty or not, what you can't say is that the narrative moves the 'is it a penalty or not' needle. Narrative, time of match, month of year, phase of moon etc. is 100% irrelevant to applying the rules.
Look, extrapolating any human act from its context is actually sociopathy and I do not think anyone here is a sociopath, neither Oliver nor any poster. Context speaking, Madrid have long long history at home with iffy calls in the CL, same as Juve has long long history at home with iffy calls domestically. it is simply another case of bigger fish eating smaller fish, with the spectators plauding accordingly out of enjoyment and survivor bias. At the end of the day, it is just a game, I am not an affiliate and I am not losing anything out of yesterday defeat. On the contrary, the squad pride has been restored with the quality of the game we played yesterday and Agnelli can plan his next year / years accordingly, other than making his voice heard more at political level while growing more a fish in the international football pond. I'm out with this matter, all what I needed to be said I think I did and the fact there is big debate worldwide just shows it is not tidy as you want to make it.

roonster09

Scout
Not sure where you are going with this. You think it's iffy, me and so many others think it's a penalty.

Btw what is this photobombing thing?

slyadams

Look, extrapolating any human act from its context is actually sociopathy and I do not think anyone here is a sociopath, neither Oliver nor any poster. Context speaking, Madrid have long long history at home with iffy calls in the CL, same as Juve has long long history at home with iffy calls domestically. it is simply another case of bigger fish eating smaller fish, with the spectators plauding accordingly out of enjoyment and survivor bias. At the end of the day, it is just a game, I am not an affiliate and I am not losing anything out of yesterday defeat. On the contrary, the squad pride has been restored with the quality of the game we played yesterday and Agnelli can plan his next year / years accordingly, other than making his voice heard more at political level while growing more a fish in the international football pond. I'm out with this matter, all what I needed to be said I think I did and the fact there is big debate worldwide just shows it is not tidy as you want to make it.
No its not.

Canagel

Bayern seems weaker than what i thought, their wings are simply not strong enough both offensively and defensively. Feck now i have bad feelings about Liverpool, please UEFA give FC Scouse Real in semis
There's a reason they've gone under the radar and don't seem to be rated. Perhaps their game vs Sevilla puts things into some perspective for us. Everyone thought there would be a hammering but in the end it was a lot closer than I thought. They've had the easiest run of anyone this season. Finish 2nd in the group and then get Besiktas and Sevilla. Whilst Real Madrid also finished 2nd but get PSG and Juventus. Bayern are the weakest of the four teams left.