Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

rollingstoned1

Unless it's a worldwide poll, there is no way to know :lol: General feel of sentiment is too arbitrary
well sure, if you pretend subjectivity doesn't exist in the world then yes. On a united forum the poll for the same was 50-50 (?) so that tells you a bit.

mediocentr0

Supports
Juventus
Never understood the Dybala hype, he seem so overrated to me, why so many people think he is something special?
I would James and Dybala in one hype basket. Very good left foot, poor right foot, pretty slow, weak in defending. The "modern" van der Vaart. I wouldn´t like to have neither of them in my team.

Aloysius's Back 3

Messi is the better player for people because the general population have this appreciation of general nature & a belief of religion. They look at Messi & see a player that was born to play football the way he does & are in awe. Whilst Messi is a prophet of football - Ronaldo is science & technology; the hard worker, the grower, the stat machine, the one who studied his weaknesses & covered every angle, the one who challenges himself in every possible way - he is merely a human that has reached the top from pure hard work & not a growth hormone injection at 11.

Religion vs Science
God vs Humanity
Nature/ growth hormone injection vs Hard work:devil:
Messi vs Ronaldo :drool:

Last edited:

Trizy

How do you get 2 penalties and a player sent off and still lose?

I can't see many teams stopping City I'm afraid. Not that they're half as good in Europe as domestically but there are no stand out teams at the moment. Liverpool and Barca might given them a game over 1 leg.

Kostur

海尔的老板

I can't see many teams stopping City I'm afraid. Not that they're half as good in Europe as domestically but there are no stand out teams at the moment. Liverpool and Barca might given them a game over 1 leg.
Schalke are 14th in the league, they're garbage this season.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
No one would be surprised if Juve won 2-0 and took it to extra time.
I'm starting to think maybe missing Costa and Thomas in the second leg may hurt them.

Juventus themselves will missing Sandro.

Siorac

Where City are vulnerable is away from home: Guardiola has a surprisingly poor record in away games of the CL knockout stages. Which makes Schalke's implosion all the more spectacular, of course.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Messi is the better player for people because the general population have this appreciation of general nature & a belief of religion. They look at Messi & see a player that was born to play football the way he does & are in awe. Whilst Messi is a prophet of football - Ronaldo is science & technology; the hard worker, the grower, the stat machine, the one who studied his weaknesses & covered every angle, the one who challenges himself in every possible way - he is merely a human that has reached the top from pure hard work & not a growth hormone injection at 11.

Religion vs Science
God vs Humanity
Nature/ growth hormone injection vs Hard work:devil:
Messi vs Ronaldo :drool:
Yeah, he's really living the American dream! They should make a sports movie about him with Rocky Balboa music, long cuts of him in the gym, coaches giving him some inspirational instagram quotes, a fast forward cut of SIIII celebrations as he ages and two or three badly choreographed football scenes because who does actually care about the sport? It's the story and the drama that counts. I mean, come on, watching full 90 minutes of football is boring anyway. Score sheets, highlights and the yellow press is more than enough to adequately judge a footballer.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah, he's really living the American dream! They should make a sports movie about him with Rocky Balboa music, long cuts of him in the gym, coaches giving him some inspirational instagram quotes and two or three badly choreographed football scenes because who does actually care about the sport? It's the story and the drama that counts. Watching full 90 minutes of football is boring anyway.
Jesus. :lol:

Aloysius's Back 3

Yeah, he's really living the American dream! They should make a sports movie about him with Rocky Balboa music, long cuts of him in the gym, coaches giving him some inspirational instagram quotes, a fast forward cut of SIIII celebrations as he ages and two or three badly choreographed football scenes because who does actually care about the sport? It's the story and the drama that counts. I mean, come on, watching full 90 minutes of football is boring anyway. Score sheets, highlights and the yellow press is more than enough to adequately judge a footballer.
What a film it would be seeing the impact of the growth injection. :drool: sequels? No - no one would be interested seeing Barcelona 5.0 again for another year would they :eek:
Getafe goal season 6 anyone?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What a film it would be seeing the impact of the growth injection. :drool: sequels? No - no one would be interested seeing Barcelona 5.0 again for another year would they :eek:
I agree, a movie about Messi would be more boring than one about Ronaldo which obviously is the go to criterion to judge a player on.

Isn't growth injection science though?

Aloysius's Back 3

I agree, a movie about Messi would be more boring than one about Ronaldo which obviously is the go to criterion to judge a player on.

Isn't growth injection science though?
I guess it is - definitely not hard work though. Anyway I look forward to what Barcelona are about post xavi & iniesta; doesn't look all that great at all.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I guess it is - definitely not hard work though. Anyway I look forward to what Barcelona are about post xavi & iniesta; doesn't look all that great at all.
Whatever, I made my point and it's the wrong thread for that, so have fun.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Juventus will still go through. It feels like their time and an emphatic home win to rescue this tie would only confirm it to me further.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Juventus will still go through. It feels like their time and an emphatic home win to rescue this tie would only confirm it to me further.
I don't think they will. Atletico is the one team you don't want to face when having to come back from 2 goals down.

RedDevil@84

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
:lol:

I actually think you guys have the tools to hurt Atletico, especially if Kane makes it back.
Kane would definitely be back by the quarters .. I think it would be very tight between us but you have to give them the edge with their experience in the competition.

It's not that I think we wouldn't stand a chance, I just think it would be horrible to watch. I'd much rather play a more glamorous team as well, someone like Madrid or Bayern would be great.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I want to see:

Spurs v Roma/Porto
Man. City v Barca
Atletico v RM
B. Munich v PSG

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Interesting results this week.

Bayern still have a chance of beating Liverpool but sadly I do fancy the latter to get an away goal.

Juventus is the surprising one. They've been the team in the CL that you'd think would be the next-in-line winner after Barca and Madrid given how close they've come in recent times and dominated their own league too. Ronaldo was meant to be that final piece of the puzze. But Atletico really did outdo them. Huge respect of Simeone. What a job he's done at that club.

Strangely enough the two most impressive teams on the basis of the first legs are PSG and Atletico. I feel this really could be PSG's year. They've got quality throughout and a highly rated manager. They've also got Mbappe in attack, and the Spanish big 2 have slipped. Perfect time for them to pounce given they were unable to while those two were at their best.

JSArsenal

Not happening ;).

(I'm really setting myself up if we somehow feck up this tie)
Sadly its almost impossible. Dortmund need to score like 4 goals then if you lot score 1, it would be for nothing.

Bayern still have a chance of beating Liverpool but sadly I do fancy the latter to get an away goal.
Realistically, Bayern need to score 2 goals. I could easily see them leading 1-0 only for Pool to get a last minute away goal.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sadly its almost impossible. Dortmund need to score like 4 goals then if you lot score 1, it would be for nothing.
Yeah, tbh I can see us being silly and going 2-0 down but managing to grab a goal to settle the nerves.

I hope we don't go and play defensively, our mindset should be that if we're able to score one, we're practically through.

Johnny Love

Very difficult to gauge a favorite to win it this year so this might be the year Liverpool, PSG or City breakthrough. The usual suspects don't see up for it this year with Juve on the outs, Bayern seem a hit/miss, don't see Real surviving this year, Barca even less with their inability to breakdown a good defense.

kaiser1

Pep's Mum
Supports
Bayern Munich
The last time they conceded a knockout Champions League goal at home was vs. Milan in the last 16 in 2014 in a 4-1 win. That's the only knockout goal they've conceded between Europa League and Champions League in their last 15 homes games in European competition.

Maybe I am not understanding you

I think I remember a CL game at home in the last 3 yrs vs Real Madrid where Benzema dribbled like 3 players by the byline and squared for someone to score.

The season Madrid won the home leg 3-0 and lost away 2-1

Inter Yer Nan

Maybe I am not understanding you

I think I remember a CL game at home in the last 3 yrs vs Real Madrid where Benzema dribbled like 3 players by the byline and squared for someone to score.

The season Madrid won the home leg 3-0 and lost away 2-1
Yeah, I'd forgotten that one for a moment. That's the one goal they've conceded from the Milan tie until today.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Coman looking unlikely for the return fixture versus us.