Champions League Round of 16 (14th Feb - 15th Mar)

iKnowNothing

They have Rarely met and Fergie never signed galatico's . Was always short of quality. 84 cup winners cup vs barcelona 91 98 pretty even Also 2008 2013 vs Real madrid Dominated most of the time Real madrid vs Aberdeen Beat them . He had his Moments
None of this support your original claim of Fergie's teams dominating Spanish teams.

SirMattBugsby

The dream of us winning Europa, Leicester winning the Champions League and Liverpool winning the 4th placed Trophy is still on.

Hope we do the business on Thursday.
What? Why do you dream such dreams? I demand an explanation!

Leicester is going to draw Real Madrid next round.
And beat them. Leicester can beat anyone except Bayern and Barcelona. If they can avoid even one of them, they can win the whole thing.

I'm gonna go take that long shot now.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Great story. However, I cannot see Leicester beating any of the other teams among the last 8.
I expect City and of course Atletico to go through and then it is the 7 strongest teams who have been in the competition vs. them.

ti vu

And beat them. Leicester can beat anyone except Bayern and Barcelona. If they can avoid even one of them, they can win the whole thing.

RAWK meltdown thread would be glorious.

RooneyLegend

Since Ranieri left, Leicester have been playing close to their form last season. Had they played like this the whole season then they'd be fighting for top 4. We all know their approach with these players works, we saw them win a league title last season. Honestly, i wasn't surprised in the least. Like most la liga sides, Sevilla are good on the ball however like la liga sides not named barca, atletico or Madrid, they don't have match winners. I made this point a few months ago and some la liga fan was offended. If they had proper match winners the tie would've ended in the first leg. Their play lacks any cutting edge what so ever. yesterday the saw fit to knock the ball around aimlessly for long periods during the match applying no pressure to leicester.

ti vu

If they consider 4th a trophy, I would like them to be denied that as well :D
Us winning EL & Leicester winning CL would do just that (deny CL qualification for 4th place). The feeling to have secured 4th place trophy just get "the prize" taken away... brutal

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
All cred to Leicester. It is not an understatement when I say this is the most embarressing moment of my time as Sevilla supporter. Maybe we should stick to Europa League ffs. Season ruined.
Don't be so negative Nervión,Sevilla are playing a nice season and probably getting again a place for next year.
C.L is a very long competition and sometimes catch you in the worse month of the year.
Why Nzonzi kicked the penalty?

SirAF

Ageist
Jesus, I'm really not paying attention to the CL now that we're not in it! I thought Leicester were through to the semis now :lol:

markelphick

What's happened to Seville this season, I remember them having a great side the last few seasons when they had the EL wins

Celestiale

What's happened to Seville this season, I remember them having a great side the last few seasons when they had the EL wins
This season they have a better side then the last few as can be seen in the league.
Apparently Leicester has a better side :smirk:
In all honesty, when you look at the players Sevilla never had a "great side", they have great team spirit and character, which is often more important then individual class. Player for player, there isn't really that much of a difference to Leicester. Mahrez and Vardy arguably better then what Sevilla has to offer in those positions

ZAGREB RED

Leicester were playing against Seville like.....Leicester from last season. In saying that, I was a bit surprised by Sevilla, who didn't play well at all during the tie apart from the first half in the first leg, when they looked like they were going to destroy Leicester, but the tie changed with Vardy's goal. Two missed penalties doesn't help your cause though. I said at the time when Nasri was booked he was more than likely to go off with another yellow card for something petulant or niggly. Vardy made the most of it but Nasri only had himself to blame. Fair play to Leicester though, they beat a team most would expect them to lose to, 3rd in La Liga. I think their fans will look anything else they achieve in the CL this season as a bonus.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Don't be so negative Nervión,Sevilla are playing a nice season and probably getting again a place for next year.
C.L is a very long competition and sometimes catch you in the worse month of the year.
Why Nzonzi kicked the penalty?
There occured a confusion about the penalty, and Iborra decided N'Zonzi should take it, even though Jovetic wanted to take it. This just adds more salt to our open wound.

It is true, we have been out of form for a 4-5 concecutive games. The players seems to be really tired lately. But still no excuse to perform like we did last night. I think we only created 2 chances (including the penalty), and maybe 3 chances if we gonna include Escudero's shot from nowhere. We saw a slow, out of shape and poor Sevilla last night, and we did not deserve to go through whatsoever, despite the difference between these two teams in the first leg. Leicester were inspired and deserved it, and it makes me frustrated that we won't be hearing the end of this. Sevilla will forever be the reference of Leicester's surprising success in Europe.

Unless they go to the semis, but...

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
There occured a confusion about the penalty, and Iborra decided N'Zonzi should take it, even though Jovetic wanted to take it. This just adds more salt to our open wound.

It is true, we have been out of form for a 4-5 concecutive games. The players seems to be really tired lately. But still no excuse to perform like we did last night. I think we only created 2 chances (including the penalty), and maybe 3 chances if we gonna include Escudero's shot from nowhere. We saw a slow, out of shape and poor Sevilla last night, and we did not deserve to go through whatsoever, despite the difference between these two teams in the first leg. Leicester were inspired and deserved it, and it makes me frustrated that we won't be hearing the end of this. Sevilla will forever be the reference of Leicester's surprising success in Europe.

Unless they go to the semis, but...
too hard to yourself, you are on the up as a club but suffered on the occasion and football is not math

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
@Bepi That is true, very kind of you. This is the beauty with football or sports in general, even though we happen to be on the other side in this context.

But, if we have to find a bright side to this: Sampaoli probably ruined his chances with Barca. They can't be impressed after last night. And Nasri will probably be back at City after this season. Or the drip doctors. As long as he, vietto, ben yedder, kranekvitter and rami are not part of sevilla anymore.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Ok, Leicester have now run out of Euroleague opponents, let's see how they do from here on.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Ok, Leicester have now run out of Euroleague opponents, let's see how they do from here on.
They could potentially get City or Monaco and I'd say given the way they defend, Leicester would have a shot at knocking them out on the counter.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I think Leicester - City with second leg in Leicester would be tasty because a PL derby with both internal recent history and external new found prestige at stake. I'm pretty sure most of the UK would support Leicester and City are not cagefighters at heart. All the others are uncharted waters for Leicester and over two legs they might fall short because of pure quality (Real, Barca, Dortmund) or better organisation (Bayern, Atletico, Juve).

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sevilla were very disappointing.They were walking all the game.
Leicester more intense,played well and defended better.
A 29 year old player who is the best paid player in the team (Nasri) has to be more intelligent.
A pity the 2 penalties,today and in Sevilla.
Nasri is a hot head with no head. Idiot. I can't stand him and was happy to see the nobhead sent off for more of his petulant shite. He lost it for Seville I would say.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers

They won't get past Athletico Madrid either. The run will come to an end. Athletico, Barca, Bayern, etc, will apply that much pressure that Leicester will concede 4, 5, 6... over on their grounds.

Don't get me wrong I like to see the underdogs cause upsets, but trust me it'll come to an end. They'll go to Real Madrid or wherever and concede 4 or 5. Run over.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
OP, you missed out on the best pun: "A midsummer night's dream come true for Shakespeare"

cyberman

Leicester have the perfect gameplan to beat Barca or Madrid. Defend deep and are deadly on the counter with their direct pace. They've struggled against that all season.
Its Bayern and Atletico that would worry them. Bayern keep the ball too well and Atletico are a better version of them.

RU Devil

Leicester have the perfect gameplan to beat Barca or Madrid. Defend deep and are deadly on the counter with their direct pace. They've struggled against that all season.
Its Bayern and Atletico that would worry them. Bayern keep the ball too well and Atletico are a better version of them.
Gotta say, I'm rooting for them. Totally a Hollywood script. Almost relegated 2 years ago, then somehow win the league, then looking at relegation in the face again, but maybe a CL trophy? Amazing stuff, really.

They'll really need to work on their defending a bit more. Got opened up by a 10 man Sevilla, but were bailed out by Kasper. I know the prefer to clog the middle & invite the crosses, but I'd think CR7 and Lewandowski could possibly outmuscle their CB's, while the remaining 7 have better passers than Sevilla.

And Vardy really needs to find his shooting boots. He injected life into them with his away goal, but he really could've put the tie away much earlier. If he & Mahrez start clicking like last year, they have more than a punchers chance.

Inter Yer Nan

Fergie actually has a poor record against Spanish teams as United boss.
Indeed he does. Off the top of my head -

vs. Barca (2 WINS, 3 LOSSES, 4 DRAWS)
Won ECWC final 1991 (2-1), lost CL final 2009 & 2011 (2-0, 3-1)
Won CL semi final (1-0 win and 0-0 draw) in 2008
Two (3-3) draws in 1998 group stage
Draw (2-2) and lost (4-0) CL group stage in 1994

vs. Real (1 win, 3 losses, 2 draws)
lost 3-2, drew 0-0 CL QF 2000
Lost 3-1, won 4-3 CL QF 2003
Drew 1-1, lost 2-1 CL last 16 2013 (noted that was a blatant robbery)

vs. Atletico (1 loss, one draw)
lost 3-0, draw 1-1 ECWC 1992

vs. Valencia (2 wins, 4 draws)
won 3-0, draw 0-0 group stage 1999
draw 0-0, draw 0-0 group stage 2001
won 1-0, draw 1-1 2010 group stage

vs. Deportivo (3 WINS, 3 LOSSES)
lost 2-1, lost 3-2 group stage 2001
won 2-0, won 3-2 quarter final 2002
won 2-0, lost 2-0 group stage 2002

vs. Villarreal (4 draws)
draw 0-0, draw 0-0 group stage 2005
draw 0-0, draw 0-0 group stage 2008

vs. Athletic Club (2 losses)
lost 3-2, lost 2-1 Europa 2012

8 WINS, 12 LOSSES, 15 DRAWS

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Drew 1-1, lost 2-1 CL last 16 2013 (noted that was a blatant robbery
I've noticed a lot of you are still pissed off at that. Is it because that turned out to be Fergie's last chance at a 3rd CL? Or what?

....we do all agree it should've been a yellow, right?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I think Leicester - City with second leg in Leicester would be tasty because a PL derby with both internal recent history and external new found prestige at stake. I'm pretty sure most of the UK would support Leicester and City are not cagefighters at heart. All the others are uncharted waters for Leicester and over two legs they might fall short because of pure quality (Real, Barca, Dortmund) or better organisation (Bayern, Atletico, Juve).
I'd say Bayern, Atletico and Juve all comfortably have better quality as well.

Inter Yer Nan

I've noticed a lot of you are still pissed off at that. Is it because that turned out to be Fergie's last chance at a 3rd CL? Or what?

....we do all agree it should've been a yellow, right?
Nah, just blatantly biased refereeing decision. I, like most others were mad at the time and even Mourinho said we didn't deserve to lose all that was before Fergie retired.

Defending that sending off is like defending what Barca get every time the going gets tough in the CL.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Nah, just blatantly biased refereeing decision. I, like most others were mad at the time and even Mourinho said we didn't deserve to lose all that was before Fergie retired.

Defending that sending off is like defending what Barca get every time the going gets tough in the CL.
Nah, the red card itself was wrong, period. The ref's decision, while wrong, was kind of forgivable, imho. I mean, it's a horror foul, and it happens fast. Wasn't it the 4th man or linesman who told him it was a red anyways? All that was needed was for anyone of the three to get the impression Nani was aware of Xabi Alonso

[Btw, yeah. First leg we probably should have won but at OT you were really kicking our butts]

And i mean, we lost to Barca in 2011 thanks to a similarly wrong sending off, but come on, s*it happens. I got over it quickly, only 3 years :lol: