Champions League Round of 16 (15th Feb - 16th Mar)

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Serie A clubs are so crap in Europe. Gone are those glory days.

No wonder all the veterans fill their boots in that league

Yagami

Good post resistant
If only Morata hadn't been greedy in the first half. Cuadrado had it on a plate.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Unay Emery decided to taunt Juventus by spotting them a man for 70 minutes. Then he brought on Gerard Moreno, and he massacred them

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Unay Emery decided to taunt Juventus by spotting them a man for 70 minutes. Then he brought on Gerard Moreno, and he massacred them
Juventus should have scored first tbh

Villareal GK and the post saved Villareal.

Pintu

That De Ligt isn't all that good, is he? Seems to be a bit of a flop considering all the hype around him.
Not sure what he can do tonight. Playing without Bonucci/Chiellini most of the games. Tonight they didn’t concede much and then he got horribly let out by his partners’ individual mistakes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Juventus should have scored first tbh

Villareal GK and the post saved Villareal.
Sure. In the first half they had 3-4 big chances. Villarreal were "playing" with Lo Celso. Soon as Gerard came on, game over

Villarreal are a better team than Juventus. They were better across the tie

RoyH1

Even with its evident decline, La Liga can still manage to have 3 QF teams in the CL. Astonishing result for Villarreal

Get In Scholesy

Say what you want about Juventus, look at the difference in trajectory of last years Europa League Finalists.

Villareal domestic season over yet in the QF of the CL.

Man United season over, aside from the 9 matches left.

On first take, looks like pretty much the same, but look at the additions we made over the summer.

Further, look at some of the teams who have won the EL since us in 2017, including the runners up and see how many of the clubs have gone and built competitive squads and won elite competitions or made CL finals (Chelsea, Atletico, Ajax (runners up), and hell even Liverpool from 2016).

We just haven’t been able to build season on season, which is what many people mean when we discuss our lack of direction and continuity as a club.

Pintu

Sure. In the first half they had 3-4 big chances. Villarreal were "playing" with Lo Celso. Soon as Gerard came on, game over

Villarreal are a better team than Juventus. They were better across the tie
That’s true about Juventus without 4/5 of their very best players. Tonight they couldn’t have enough players on the bench either.

KeanoMagicHat

Spanish sides tend to find a way. We've seen it too much at United.
Spanish teams are a bit like the old cliche about Italian teams, they're experienced and know how to win in many ways. Emery and Simeone won't give you much, Ancelotti knows how to win in the CL and their teams are full of players that have won multiple CL and Europa League games, and in Real's case multiple CLs. Can't buy that kind of experience when under pressure.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Nah, they have more composure and are much more rounded as a team, coming from years played togethet. Allegri got Allegred by Emery, yet the only way up is to buy better players. Converting your chances is the best known secret in football, if you are 0-0 after 77 minutes and your fourth-in-line centre back gives a penalty away, it’s on the players who did not score before that fatal episode.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
That’s true about Juventus without 4/5 of their very best players. Tonight they couldn’t have enough players on the bench either.
Yeah, that’s always forgotten… mind, not an excuse… we are used to have our best players out at this time since four years and it’s clear there is also something pretty wrong with the athletic management of the squad.

Ludens the Red

feck me I thought juve were on their way back. That’s a shocking result. And another trash team in the last eight :annoyed:

KeanoMagicHat

Funny to think also that Emery was almost going to be battling relegation for Newcastle and look at him now.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Juve 0 - 3 Villareal. Shocking scoreline.

De Ligt has been a failure, and I laugh at the ones who thought Arthur and Rabiot were destined to become great players. Morata?? Never a Top player, never (let alone a Top Top player).

Anyway, Madrid will face Atlético, Villareal or Benfica in the QFs. I'm sure of it.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Juve 0 - 3 Villareal. Shocking scoreline.

De Ligt has been a failure, and I laugh at the ones who thought Arthur and Rabiot were destined to become great players. Morata?? Never a Top player, never (let alone a Top Top player).

Anyway, Madrid will face Atlético, Villareal or Benfica in the QFs. I'm sure of it.
I don't watch Juventus much so its not for me to decide, but everytime i read Juventus forums i keep hearing that he is their best performer in defense, if not best performer in general.

Juventus-fans on this forum, how has he been for you guys?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Emery with a bit of a reputational remontada at Villarreal
Emery is a good coach, he does well coaching underdog teams punching above their weight.

He certainly isn't suited for bigger jobs...my god that PSG crumbling against Barcelona after winning 4-0 has to be the biggest bottle job i remember, plus he was utter shit at Arsenal.

Seems like his place in the world is Spain, managing teams not called Barcelona, Real Madrid or Atlético.

Last edited:

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I don't watch Juventus much so its not for me to decide, but everytime i read Juventus forums i keep hearing that he is their best performer in defense, if not best performer in general.

Juventus-fans on this forum, how has he been for you guys?
Not a Juventus fan, but i think De Light did well today, bar the penalty for 3-0, when the game was already dead.
And the penalty situation came after Danilo fecked up big time and gave away the ball...

How come City got away exchanging Danilo for Cancelo? one of the worst trades in history of football. It's like exchanging Aaron Ramsey for Kevin De Bruyne.
I suppose something related to wages, otherwise people responsible for that should be guillotined imo.

Juventus need a total reboot, that includes Allegri out and the club stop signing old world class players on their last legs.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The fact that this is the 4th consecutive season that Juve have been knocked out of the Champions League, by a club that they don’t deem worthy enough to join the European Super League that they have been one of the main cheerleaders of, is just hilarious. Poetic justice.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
feck me didnt see that Juve score happening :eek:
Huh, why not? Ajax, Porto and Lyon are the last sides that kicked Juve out of the competition. Villareal is not a worse side than them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
De Ligt is aging like a carton of milk. He looks clumsier everytime I see him play. Granted I dont watch serie A so he might be amazing there.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think most of those exits were tighter. 0-3 at home is a horrendous result.
Eh, the score itself was a freak result. This wasn't a 3-0 game at all

But the fact remains that juventus weren't really a better team than Porto last year, or Villarreal this year, or Ajax in '19. OL is the one elimination that was really bad because it came against a team levels worse than them. The other 3 are bad because Juventus *should* be better than Porto or Villarreal. They get a pass for Ajax because that Ajax side was fantastic