g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Champions League Round of 16 (15th Feb - 16th Mar)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Haller is the first ever player to score 11 CL goals and be eliminated by the round of 16.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
You're made up of players signed or brought through from the academy under multiple managers which doesn't help. You need a long term plan for the next 4-5 seasons to allow a manager to build like Klopp and Guardiola have.
If that was the issue then Chelsea would be a complete mess too.

The United squad is full of deadwood and players that aren’t up to the standard of any other clubs in the top 6/8. I won’t list them, they’ve been named to death.

Another issue is Pogba. He simply isn’t a team player and I’m yet to be convinced that he has any chemistry with Bruno. You have to build a team around one of them and well it’s really a no brainer as to who is the winner there.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

The United squad is full of deadwood and players that aren’t up to the standard of any other clubs in the top 6/8. I won’t list them, they’ve been named to death.

Another issue is Pogba. He simply isn’t a team player and I’m yet to be convinced that he has any chemistry with Bruno. You have to build a team around one of them and well it’s really a no brainer as to who is the winner there.
Hmm fair point. You've got some very good players though. Weird how they all keep under-performing like that. Rashford has had such a huge drop off.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I keep looking at the quarter final teams and it still feels weird not seeing Barcelona there. By weird I mean good obviously. :angel:

Spain still managing to get 2, maybe 3, teams there though despite being poor themselves. Shows how bad other leagues are (Germany, France, Italy).

Other than Bayern I can't see anyone but an English team winning ol' big ears again.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

He was a team player at Juventus and is usually one for French NT too. He also didn't start tonight, so how's he the main issue for tonight's defeat?
IMO you can't build a top team around him or Bruno though, they're better of when they aren't the main options on the team. Though i also think Bruno doesn't work well with Ronaldo.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I keep looking at the quarter final teams and it still feels weird not seeing Barcelona there. By weird I mean good obviously. :angel:

Spain still managing to get 2, maybe 3, teams there though despite being poor themselves. Shows how bad other leagues are (Germany, France, Italy).

Other than Bayern I can't see anyone but an English team winning ol' big ears again.
Not really. This is the CL. There's exactly 3 teams in the PL good enough to make the top 8 in the world.

PL getting overrated even when it is the best league :D

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Is this the most disappointing post-Fergie season for United? There was a lot of talk about challenging for the title in the summer with the three players who came in, but they could end up with no trophy and no Champions League next season now.
This is the season where I have lost all faith, any hope for future. I have given up on this lot. None of them are good enough or even likeable. I would take Fellaini over any of these overpaid divas.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is this the most disappointing post-Fergie season for United? There was a lot of talk about challenging for the title in the summer with the three players who came in, but they could end up with no trophy and no Champions League next season now.
Probably. Especially when you consider that our two big hopes - Martial and Rashford - look like they have nothing in the tank, and the one who everyone expected to be our main man for the next decade - Greenwood - turned out to be a shitbrain. Then our record signing Pogba is leaving (hopefully), players who we thought were pretty good have declined (Shaw, Maguire, Awb etc) and we are paying a 37 year old a fortune as wages. All the while, we've wasted 3 years making no progress towards exciting progressive football under football Guru Ole. It's one step forward and ten steps back for us.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Just read that since 2011, where they reached the final, United has only won two games in the CL past the group stage.

3-0 at home against Olympiakos under moyes (they lost 2-0 away but still progressed) in 2014
and
3-1 away at PSG under solskjaer (they lost 0-2 at home but still progressed on away goals) in 2019.

For comparison, they won 20 games in the CL past the group stage in the 5 years prior to this run.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Caught the second half. Wasn't as bad as some here make it out to be. Atletico has had the best defence in the world for the past 10-15 years. Going 1-0 down to them is really bad. They have regularly beat Bayern, Barcelona, Real and other top teams as we all know. With another draw United could have made the quarters or if really lucky the semis, the team simply isn't better than this.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Sorry for your elimination. I would have liked you to have had at least the joy of a Champions quarter-final.
Atlético seemed less "dirty" and defensive than on other occasions.
I like Joao Félix more every day, Herrera is in a great moment and I think using De Paul was a good idea. You didn't manage to create any real danger and despite the fact that they backed down, Atlético seemed quite comfortable.
I don't watch your matches very often but it seemed that Cristiano and Sancho occupy the same space. Sancho is certainly very disappointing and Bruno is good but not good enough.
Ragnick caught my attention, with the little notebook and sitting comfortably while Simeone was screaming to everybody.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Come on, Juve!

our season might already be over, but I'm still keeping up with Juve. Mainly to watch Arthur, and I want to see him against Europe's best.

Sorry for your elimination. I would have liked you to have had at least the joy of a Champions quarter-final.
that's very kind of you!

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Allegri correctly identified this game as a final at home against a smart team and a very smart coach. QFs would be better than the last two years. Vintage Juve would win 1-0 or 2-0… we are not there yet. Let’s see what happens.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Allegri correctly identified this game as a final at home against a smart team and a very smart coach. QFs would be better than the last two years. Vintage Juve would win 1-0 or 2-0… we are not there yet. Let’s see what happens.
I see a comfortable 1-0 for Juve, even if I prefer Villarreal to go through.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Yes and no.

Disappointing in terms of the season in isolation, but the wider context I’m quite optimistic.

1) Incompetent and inept Woody is gone.
2) We have our much vaunted cultural reset.
3) Ralf for half a year and a 2 year consultative gig is excellent for a club like ours that is lagging behind.
4) There’s going to be a significant amount of players leaving - off the top of my head we’re definitely going to see Lingard, Pogba, Pereira, Cavani, Mata, Jones and potentially Martial, Ronaldo, and Bailly going.
5) Noises around the club suggest that Mengi, Laird, Mejbri, Garner all look to be set for a place in the first team squad going forward next season.

So with a progressive manager, with an overall younger smaller squad, and with the removal of overpaid shite, could we start, finally, making the right steps? I think so.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't know why as there's no logic to my train of thought, but I feel like you'll just click tonight and win comfortably.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
5 at the back and 3 in the middle. Should be controlling the midfield easily with this lineup.

GlasgowCeltic

Literally thought Aurier had retired after leaving Spurs in his mid 30s, turns out hes 29 at Villarreal

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Christensen is a bit of a sick note really.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Villarreal getting away with one so far. Juventus aren't even doing anything, just everytime they attack it ends in a big chance one way or another

Yagami

Good post resistant
Juve's lethargic intensity is giving me flashbacks of us. I'm begging someone to press Villareal's gk as he holds onto the ball for 30 seconds every other minute

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Alonso is hilariously poor.

Chalobah has been dreadful since coming on too.