Champions League Semi Finals (26th Apr - 4th May)

The-Natural

They nearly won the league with an insanely average squad and Rodgers. It's more than just Klopp. Their recruitment has been absolutely ridiculous and it's all data based. Klopp wanted Brandt over Salah. He isn't a one man band.
Cool. Let's just wait and see what happens when he goes.

United Hobbit

Can't remember the last time they made a bad signing I miss the sight of Karius throwing the ball into his own net.

They were saying in the league cup final one of the first things Klopp did was get a mentality expert to work with the players. We need to find this man and pay him all the lazy players wages for as long as it takes to get him to work with what will hopefully be the select few who remain after what will hopefully be a huge cull

Where are our Robertson/Jota/ Diaz type signings?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Utterly dominant by Liverpool. At least its only 2-0 and they'll have to go full strength in Spain.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Can’t complain but we could’ve won by a goal or two more I guess. We should be ok in the second leg. Completely dominated that game.

always_hoping

Tie as good as over after the first leg. Typical Liverpool to get the rub on the green on both goals.

Villarreal will have to take more risks in the 2nd leg and that will allow Liverpool in for more goals.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Don’t think the result would have been different had it been Bayern today. They are not Flick‘s 1st season Bayern.

badname

Liverpool and city obsviously play the best football in the world right now/

Billy Bullcrap

Supports
Wrexham
Their pressing, movement without the ball is impressive, but their long ball playing football style is not great to watch at all. They lump the ball forward or diagonally at every possible opportunity, and their most often route to a goal is lumping it in the box from a fullback, you think that's great to an eye?
You forget their second against Utd? One of the best goals I’ve seen for a long time. Their biggest advantage is their variety of goals. Hoofball, corners, counter attacks, rapid ball movement, cut backs. They score them all.

Righteous Steps

13 years later from the Great pep Barca team and people still haven’t figured out this whole pressing thing, you pressure less or in isolated periods because you keep the ball more.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm stil sticking to City winning one and Liverpool winning the other with the Premier League and Champions League. Another great year.

Ollie Derbyshire

Villarreal ran more
I’m not talking about 1 game.

Also Im not a member of the ‘doping’ conspiracy club, I just think more should be talked about how they think they do it. Same with City to an extent. Unless every other team in the league has lazy players who can’t be arsed to put the same effort it.

Pretty sure if this was an American sport the analysis of it all would be very interesting.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Also Im not a member of the ‘doping’ conspiracy club, I just think more should be talked about how they think they do it. Same with City to an extent. Unless every other team in the league has lazy players who can’t be arsed to put the same effort it.

Pretty sure if this was an American sport the analysis of it all would be very interesting.
I think they just time their runs and rest a bit in possession. It's integral to a pressing game. It's intelligent use of their energy. They looked more intense on the night but actually ran less.

Also they're cnuts.

Josh 76

Have to take the small victories. Newcastle might only have to face Jota, Salah and Firmino instead of Mane, Diaz and Salah.
Just win all your games, then we won’t be taking about these small victories!

Ollie Derbyshire

I think they just time their runs and rest a bit in possession. It's integral to a pressing game. It's intelligent use of their energy. They looked more intense on the night but actually ran less.

Also they're cnuts.
They’re conditioning regime or whatever you’d call it must be insane, they‘ll play like that on Saturday morning as well, I get bored of the usual post match pundit crap. Give me and hour dissecting how they continue to do it game after game compared to other teams any day.

John Colf

If it’s a Liverpool v City final why is it easier to stomach city winning it for United fans ? baffles me

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
They’re conditioning regime or whatever you’d call it must be insane, they‘ll play like that on Saturday morning as well, I get bored of the usual post match pundit crap. Give me and hour dissecting how they continue to do it game after game compared to other teams any day.
Yeah, it's both fascinating and fecking annoying.

I’m loving my life

I'm stil sticking to City winning one and Liverpool winning the other with the Premier League and Champions League. Another great year.
And all thanks to our brilliant owners, the Glazers, who enabled this situation to happen. Direct vitriol towards them. Grasping, football club destroying bastards.

nomdeplume1325

Villarreal ruined it for Bayern.

This is like freepass for Liverpool to the final. They have had Europa league level rute to the final
You only play what is in front of you. Yes, Liverpool's route to the semis (and probably to the finals) was relatively "easy", but they only got luck in the sense that the good teams that ought to have been in their path either didn't make it out of the group stages (e.g. Barcelona for Benfica), or got knocked out unexpectedly (Bayern for Villareal).

The bottom line is Liverpool's path looks easy in retrospect, and yes, there are easier games on the CL, but pretty much all teams in the semis (aside from Villareal) had that sort of luck.

Agreed. Never seen anything like it. Wanna know how they do it.

Mooza

Supports
Arsenal
It’s not just about how much a team runs. It’s the speed, power and focus maintained during the match that is significant.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Villarreal shouldn't be playing a CL semis to start with. It is a miracle that Bayern aren't there.
Just goes to show though that the luck is still on liverpools side. They got the easiest route to the final ever.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Also they're cnuts.
Yep.

Can't find an up to date version but this is from earlier in the season:

People massively overestimate how much City & Liverpool run and press because they control the game in such a way as to maximise their efficiency in that regard.