Champions League Semi Finals (30th April - 8th May)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How?

Your pal was being bitter and getting called out of it. Ajax are a dirty overrated team according to him. Rather than focusing on what Spurs didn’t do he decides the insult the opposition.
I think he is deliberately being wound up tbh, people saying Kane and Son wouldn’t make a difference and we were outplayed? Kane and Son would totally change how we set up for the game. I’m not complaining by the way, injuries and suspensions are part of the game.

We weren’t as good clearly but they had 2 shots on target and hit thre post. We equally shared possession so where this *outplayed* lone comes from is beyond me. Again they were the better team.

I will say I don’t think Ajax are overrated, in the CL they have been a breathe of fresh air and I applaud them. I do however think if we are more positive from the start and have some players return we have a chance in Amsterdam.

MoskvaRed

I’ve nothing against Spurs (unlike Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea) but they were outplayed tonight. Of the big names, Eriksen failed to make any mark on the match. Son will help in the return but it’s hard to see them overturning this in Amsterdam.

Enigma_87

You know who
Workrate is hardly their standing out feature. Theyre extremly technical starting from the keeper and actually like to have to have the ball in their feet and play with it instead of treating it like hot potato.
Probably a bit knee jerk, but would appoint ten Hag in the Summer along all his staff members, including physios..

Very well organized team. It's the sum of parts, not individual quality.

Suedesi

You got lucky against PSG with VAR, but then got dumped out 4 - 0 next round anyhow. At least Spurs are still in the CL, with still a chance of reaching the final.

You'll likely have plenty of opportunities for personal development next season ... away to some team in Khasakstan on a Thursday evening.
Hey man are you posting from the billion dollar game changing ground? Can you report on any dancing at the stadium? Will there be foam?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Pool and Spurs fans still desperately praying for a Liverpool vs Spurs final. The Spurs were slapped tonight and Liverpool is about to enter the wolf's den.

But of course we will have to hear "We'll beat them at Anfield" and "We'll beat them at Amsterdam" (yeah, right).
At least we’re still in it mate.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Ajax could gave easily won 3-0.

Spurs were outclassed.

Like every PL team has been since 2008 at the later stages..
Liverpool last season? And City have only been 'outclassed' in the last two years by fellow English sides.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
@SquishyMcSquish, you're better than this. You sound like a baby Glaston.
He really isn't. The main difference between them is that he doesn't wum the United fans (but does try to do it to oppos). And Glaston is better at it.

BlueHaze

Fecks sake if Barca dissapoint tommorrow I'll become more bitter than Souness. Just the thought of Liverpool reaching the finals two years in a row is unbearable and the most worrying thing is that if they do indeed make it I think they'll definitely win this time.

Can this shite season please be over already..

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He really isn't. The main difference between them is that he doesn't wum the United fans (but does try to do it to oppos). And Glaston is better at it.
Seem to have gotten you rattled enough that you consistently cry about me.

Suedesi

Fecks sake if Barca dissapoint tommorrow I'll become more bitter than Souness. Just the thought of Liverpool reaching the finals two years in a row is unbearable and the most worrying thing is that if they do indeed make it I think they'll definitely win this time.

Can this shite season please be over already..
Have a feeling Liverpool will win tomorrow.

Supports
Ajax
Squishy, you’re stuck in a conviction that just doesn’t correlate with reality. Much like in the City match, Spurs, getting outplayed by a technically superior team, succesfully tried to reduce the game to physical play and chaos and unsuccesfully hoped to pick up a lucky counter. Ajax’ defense looked much more comfortable than Spurs.

As I said in advance, if you sit back against Ajax, you’re going to get pressed and take huge risks. Ajax should have made one or two more to be completely comfortable, since no matter how well you played this match, that isn’t going to get one more points out of it. Spurs are still in this, but I doubt they score more than Ajax in Amsterdam, even with Son back.

The main battle to win against Ajax is midfield and pressing. Sissoko provided a coincidental strengthening and touch of chaos to midfield, as Vertonghen wasn’t meant to go off (really hope his concussion/injury is light). This substitution was a good one, even if it probably was a move of desperation rather than part of a plan (maybe hence the chaos?).

Fouls wise, you said Ajax played dirty, but Spurs made some worse fouls (particularly against Tadic, Neres and Tagliafico) that should have been a booking. Eriksen probably for pulling Ziyech in the attack that ended up hitting the post.

Ajax were better the first 25 mins, the momentum was lost during Vertonghen’s injury, then Spurs asserted itself on midfield with a change in strategy and a more physical game. The last ten minutes of the first half, Spurs were better, but not lethally threatening.

Second half, it looked more even. Ajax were still slightly better in terms of chances but couldn’t play their game anymore and were frequently well interrupted, while Llorente made sure Tottenham could have some possession on Ajax’ half. If anything, he and Sissoko were among the better players tonight on Spurs’ side. I don’t understand the negativity towards him because you’d been nowhere without him tonight. Eriksen disappointed a bit all match. Not a shadow of the player he was at Ajax imo... :(

Either way. I’m confident Ajax can finish this off given Spurs will have to come at Ajax and give space away, while I think it will be more difficult to play the physical game as Ajax will look to adapt what went wrong second half.

First they’ll have to play another cup final though. :)

Reactions: Carolina Red

Suedesi

Squishy, you’re stuck in a conviction that just doesn’t correlate with reality. Much like in the City match, Spurs, getting outplayed by a technically superior team, succesfully tried to reduce the game to physical play and chaos and unsuccesfully hoped to pick up a lucky counter. Ajax’ defense looked much more comfortable than Spurs.

As I said in advance, if you sit back against Ajax, you’re going to get pressed and take huge risks. Ajax should have made one or two more to be completely comfortable, since no matter how well you played this match, that isn’t going to get one more points out of it. Spurs are still in this, but I doubt they score more than Ajax in Amsterdam, even with Son back.

The main battle to win against Ajax is midfield and pressing. Sissoko provided a coincidental strengthening and touch of chaos to midfield, as Vertonghen wasn’t meant to go off (really hope his concussion/injury is light). This substitution was a good one, even if it probably was a move of desperation rather than part of a plan (maybe hence the chaos?).

Fouls wise, you said Ajax played dirty, but Spurs made some worse fouls (particularly against Tadic, Neres and Tagliafico) that should have been a booking. Eriksen probably for pulling Ziyech in the attack that ended up hitting the post.

Ajax were better the first 25 mins, the momentum was lost during Vertonghen’s injury, then Spurs asserted itself on midfield with a change in strategy and a more physical game. The last ten minutes of the first half, Spurs were better, but not lethally threatening.

Second half, it looked more even. Ajax were still slightly better in terms of chances but couldn’t play their game anymore and were frequently well interrupted, while Llorente made sure Tottenham could have some possession on Ajax’ half. If anything, he and Sissoko were among the better players tonight on Spurs’ side. I don’t understand the negativity towards him because you’d been nowhere without him tonight. Eriksen disappointed a bit all match. Not a shadow of the player he was at Ajax imo... :(

Either way. I’m confident Ajax can finish this off given Spurs will have to come at Ajax and give space away, while I think it will be more difficult to play the physical game as Ajax will look to adapt what went wrong second half.

First they’ll have to play another cup final though. :)
Fair assessment, I particularly liked the point about Llorente, he was decent (albeit not brilliant) and in no way deserved the vitriol he was getting. I thought Wanyama and Trippier were pretty diabolical all game long, and Eriksen played far below his level. Dele was also otherwise muted.

I think Spurs still have a chance, but it'd be a long shot. Ajax are clearly the favorites. Predictably.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Fair assessment, I particularly liked the point about Llorente, he was decent (albeit not brilliant) and in no way deserved the vitriol he was getting. I thought Wanyama and Trippier were pretty diabolical all game long, and Eriksen played far below his level. Dele was also otherwise muted.

I think Spurs still have a chance, but it'd be a long shot. Ajax are clearly the favorites. Predictably.
I feel sorry for Fernando TBH, he’s called in when we are at our worst and expected to pick up where Harry left off? Trippier was shit and Eriksen is just playing how he has of late, not good enough.

I certinaly expect a very different line up in Amsterdam.

Suedesi

Christian Eriksen:

“We didn’t play our best at all. The first 20 minutes we were just ball-watchers. Against a team that likes possession, that’s a no-go. We have to change it up a lot for the next game. We made them look a lot better than they are. Of course they are a good side, but we helped them on their way. We gave them the feeling that they can control things. It was our fault. It didn’t matter what the system was, we were just second to every ball. It is far from what we know we can do. Nobody wanted to play the first half like we did. We need to step up. We are lucky they hit the post, because 2-0 would be a lot different next week. But hopefully we can turn things around in Amsterdam.”

Suedesi

The Guardian's assessment:

A bad result for Spurs, extremely disappointing, though in truth it could have been worse. Ajax totally bossed the first half, Donny van de Beek sending Hugo Lloris off for the paper and slotting home, and could easily have gone in with a bigger lead. They nearly found that elusive second goal during a more equal second half, David Neres hitting the post having beaten a static Lloris. But one goal was enough for a first-leg advantage. Spurs never seriously troubled Andre Onana in the Ajax goal. On this evidence, turning this round in Amsterdam next week is a big ask. But never say never, because Son Heung-min will be back from suspension, and will pose Ajax some different problems. There’s always hope.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Missed your edit, so that since-edited post is meaningless

Anyways, yeah, of fecking course they'd have been better off with Kane. My point is Llorente is a good player, who had a good game and was instrumental to spurs even being in the game after the first half hour and on
Wasn't an important edit.

The didn't score and he missed chances. He wasn't terrible, but just alright. Spurs needed goals tonight, not just a hardworking forward.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wasn't an important edit.

The didn't score and he missed chances. He wasn't terrible, but just alright. Spurs needed goals tonight, not just a hardworking forward.
Spurs need both against ajax. They don't really have the weapons to play differently without getting played off the park.

Llorente will start in amsterdam too, unless Poch learned nothing from this game or Kane makes a miraculous comeback. (Goes without saying that sissoko will start as well)

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Spurs need both against ajax. They don't really have the weapons to play differently without getting played off the park.

Llorente will start in amsterdam too, unless Poch learned nothing from this game or Kane makes a miraculous comeback. (Goes without saying that sissoko will start as well)
You have to acknowledge changing from a back 5 to a back 4 immediately took them off the back foot. Same thing happened when they played Liverpool.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You have to acknowledge changing from a back 5 to a back 4 immediately took them off the back foot. Same thing happened when they played Liverpool.
Because they had more players closer to Llorente. Without him, they couldn't have played like that. Ajax defenders would have had an easy time controlling those long balls

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Daley Blind has played more passes into the final third (102) than any other player left in the Champions League.
He was passing it through the lines all game. There was no pissing around with it at the back inviting pressure, they got the ball into their midfield quickly and effectively.