Champions League Semi Finals (30th April - 8th May)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why not? Porto had like 12 shots yesterday at Anfield.
Pretty sure yesterday's game was in Portugal but that aside it doesn't really matter does it, they won the tie like 7-1 it's not like they would have been super focused on keeping things tight at the back

Stocar

City can match them technically in some areas of the pitch, but overall Barca is still better. The spine of their team is Ter Stegen-Pique-Busquets-Messi. When it comes to controlling the match, no one still comes close.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
City can match them technically in some areas of the pitch, but overall Barca is still better. The spine of their team is Ter Stegen-Pique-Busquets-Messi. When it comes to controlling the match, no one still comes close.
Nah, not for me.

Barca have Messi but City are the better overall package and have significantly greater depth.

Lee565

Would like to see a ajax vs Barcelona final with everything they both stand for in terms of their footballing philosophy.

Reactions: SteveJ

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If Barca are looking to play a high line then half of Liverpool's job is already done without needing to commit TAA/Robertson forward. Mane and Salah will be dreaming of the lobbed balls while being chased by Usain Bolt re-incarnates Busquets and Pique.

That leaves plenty of men behind to keep Messi occupied. I wonder what secret tactics Klopp will use to suppress Coutinho? Oh, yeah, don't let him cut in and shoot. Not seen that before. :lol:

Stocar

Nah, not for me.

Barca have Messi but City are the better overall package and have significantly greater depth.
I'd fancy City to beat Barcelona in a knockout tie, as City are a better team (the best in the world IMO), and probably the only one you would expect to comprehensively outplay them.

But while they could compete with Barca technically, they're still not quite as good. Barca's full backs are much better when it comes to ball control and passing game, and while City's midfield options are great, they still can't compete with Busquets-Rakitic-Arthur when it comes to ball retention and control. And then there's Messi.

Again, for me City are better as a team, more tactically astute, with defined patterns of play. But these Barca players don't even need structure to exert control over the game. The combination of skill level and experience throughout that team is such that it comes naturally to them. And, unlike City, they won't be intimidated by a team like Liverpool (or Tottenham) when they're up for it.

Liverpool are a proper team, but they've had some incredible fortune this season. And with all due respect to Premier League forwards, Messi.and Suarez are completely different prospect.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'd fancy City to beat Barcelona in a knockout tie, as City are a better team (the best in the world IMO), and probably the only one you would expect to comprehensively outplay them.

But while they could compete with Barca technically, they're still not quite as good. Barca's full backs are much better when it comes to ball control and passing game, and while City's midfield options are great, they still can't compete with Busquets-Rakitic-Arthur when it comes to ball retention and control. And then there's Messi.

Again, for me City are better as a team, more tactically astute and with better defined patterns of play. But these Barca players don't even need structure to exert control at the football pitch. The combination of skill level and experience throughout that team is such that it comes naturally to them. And, unlike City, they won't be intimidated by a team like Liverpool (or Tottenham) when they're up for it.

Liverpool are a proper team, but they've had some incredible fortune this season. And with all due respect to Premier League forwards, Messi.and Suarez are completely different prospect.

Nope. Messi is a different prospect to PL forwards, Suarez is past that point. Just a good striker now.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I thought the second match against Lyon was really good, even though it got nerve wracking before Dembele came on, and the first Tottenham match where Barca won 4-2 was a masterclass and the second leg against United I really couldn't ask for more. They dominated them thoroughly for the remaining 85 minutes.

But yes, I don't think this team is as good as MSN era or Pep era, but I think they are much much better than last season.

Best of luck by the way! Should be a cracking tie
I put that down to United moreso than Barca to be honest :D

Good luck to you guys too! Should be a good one indeed, and I'm very much looking forward to have Messi, Coutinho and Suarez at Anfield.

Member 93275

They insulted Messi in some last player of the year awards. The GOAT is hungry. We are witnessing his answer. Barcemessi will win it this year.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He's unpredictable and erratic, but still unplayable on his day.
There's not a chance in hell he's on a different level to the PL's top forwards now, he's just not.

He rarely has those days any longer, still clearly an effective striker and managing great numbers, but boosted massively by being alongside the absolute genius that is Messi.

Stocar

There's not a chance in hell he's on a different level to the PL's top forwards now, he's just not.

He rarely has those days any longer, still clearly an effective striker and managing great numbers, but boosted massively by being alongside the absolute genius that is Messi.
He seems to be back in form recently. And even when he's not having a great match, he works his socks off and is a huge presence in attack. Messi also benefits from him, their understanding on the pitch is almost telepathic.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He seems to be back in form recently. And even when he's not having a great match, he works his socks off and is a huge presence in attack.
Well yeah, he's still a good striker.

He's just clearly not the monster consistent game changer he was a few seasons ago, now if we were talking about that Suarez I'd agree with you, but we're not.

That Suarez was a Ballon d'or contender and easily one of the best players in the world outright, his level has dropped since.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He seems to be back in form recently. And even when he's not having a great match, he works his socks off and is a huge presence in attack. Messi also benefits from him, their understanding on the pitch sometimes seems telepathic.
Suarez is still a top 5 striker in the world, absolutely

It’s just that his bad games are REALLY bad but he’s very capable of 85 mediocre minutes and 5 minutes of brilliance.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Easy to dominate when you're 3-0 up on aggregate and our confidence is as fragile as it is

We basically gifted you your first 3 goals of the tie, Liverpool won't do the same
You realize none of the first two happen without Messi right? Messi chilled your entire backline, if Luke Shaw isn’t there then coutinho has a tap in either way

That second goal young was an idiot, it that finish is something maybe 2-3 players in the world would’ve finished tops. Far from a gift.

charlenefan

You realize none of the first two happen without Messi right? Messi chilled your entire backline, if Luke Shaw isn’t there then coutinho has a tap in either way

That second goal young was an idiot, it that finish is something maybe 2-3 players in the world would’ve finished tops. Far from a gift.
I'm not sure what Messi chilling our back line means but yes I do realise when you gift chances to a player like Messi he will take them, but again I don't expect Liverpool to gift Barcelona many chances and if Messi's first leg performance after he was Smalling'd is anything to go by then I dread to think how quiet he'll be if VVD is on form

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Approximate odds to win the Champions League at this moment:

Barcelona 2.50
Liverpool 3.55
Tottenham 5.00
Ajax 5.00

Both games are too close to call imo. Could go either way.
Surprised to see Ajax and Spurs ranked the same. Ajax have been far more impressive and Spurs have Kane out for the tournament and Son out for the first leg in the semifinals.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Surprised to see Ajax and Spurs ranked the same. Ajax have been far more impressive and Spurs have Kane out for the tournament and Son out for the first leg in the semifinals.
Yes, but Spurs play in a far more competitive domestic league than Ajax, so I'd say we are more battle-hardened, more used to playing a higher calibre of team.

And then there is our new stadium which, if the past few games there are anything to by, has given us a definite lift. I've no doubt it will rocking when Ajax come to town. And if we win that game - an IF of course - then we'll have Son back for the 2nd leg.

So all in all, it would be more surprising to me if Ajax were ranked as favourites to go through.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I'm not sure what Messi chilling our back line means but yes I do realise when you gift chances to a player like Messi he will take them, but again I don't expect Liverpool to gift Barcelona many chances and if Messi's first leg performance after he was Smalling'd is anything to go by then I dread to think how quiet he'll be if VVD is on form
I meant chipped

And he got elbowed by Smalling, pretty stupid to use that as a way of Smalling shutting him down.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Have Ajax been 'far more impressive' anyway ???

I mean, obviously considering their budget/the league they play in they have, but strip all that away and I really can't agree with that. I think they've played better, more attractive football, but we beat Dortmund (the 2nd best team in Germany) 4 nil over two legs and knocked out the bookies favourites in the next round. We rode our luck against City but honestly I think they're a better side than either Juventus or this seasons Madrid and 100% believe they would have knocked out Ajax. They player a similar brand of football but City do it better.

I think feats wise we're pretty similar, both knocked out a top side who are a favourite (Juventus, City) because Madrid have been hideous this season and in both legs against Ajax they were utterly pathetic. With Juve I think a combination of struggling with Ajax's playstyle and injuries of their own fecked them and they simply got overwhelmed and couldn't cope. I think we're far better equipped to deal with the Ajax pressing & possession game, as long as we have our midfield back for that tie. We won't surrender possession and allow them to control games like Juve did.

Like I've said a few times, the problem for me is simple: goals. With no Son and Kane in the first game I don't know where they are going to come from. Ajax should really go for it in that first leg and try and get a positive result away, because we're missing both of our main goalscorers and that's a huge deal.

That said, I admit to underestimating Ajax in the past and their performance in the 2nd leg vs Juve was absolutely exceptional and clearly they have some serious talent in the side. I just think that overall we're a more mature, more tested outfit (due to playing in a more competitive league) who should be able to get the win. If we can knock out City, we can 100% knock out Ajax, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I'm sure Ajax fans are thinking the same about us though!

el3mel

Liverpool are going to win it. They'll win the league too. :(

Hope to jinx them but can't see anything otherwise. 6 and 19 times la.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I mean, obviously considering their budget/the league they play in they have, but strip all that away and I really can't agree with that. I think they've played better, more attractive football, but we beat Dortmund (the 2nd best team in Germany) 4 nil over two legs and knocked out the bookies favourites in the next round. We rode our luck against City but honestly I think they're a better side than either Juventus or this seasons Madrid and 100% believe they would have knocked out Ajax. They player a similar brand of football but City do it better.

I think feats wise we're pretty similar, both knocked out a top side who are a favourite (Juventus, City) because Madrid have been hideous this season and in both legs against Ajax they were utterly pathetic. With Juve I think a combination of struggling with Ajax's playstyle and injuries of their own fecked them and they simply got overwhelmed and couldn't cope. I think we're far better equipped to deal with the Ajax pressing & possession game, as long as we have our midfield back for that tie. We won't surrender possession and allow them to control games like Juve did.

Like I've said a few times, the problem for me is simple: goals. With no Son and Kane in the first game I don't know where they are going to come from. Ajax should really go for it in that first leg and try and get a positive result away, because we're missing both of our main goalscorers and that's a huge deal.

That said, I admit to underestimating Ajax in the past and their performance in the 2nd leg vs Juve was absolutely exceptional and clearly they have some serious talent in the side. I just think that overall we're a more mature, more tested outfit (due to playing in a more competitive league) who should be able to get the win. If we can knock out City, we can 100% knock out Ajax, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I'm sure Ajax fans are thinking the same about us though!
Yes, Ajax have been more impressive. Dominated Real Madrid and Juventus, had a very strong group campaign as well with two good games against Bayern while Spurs struggled a lot in the groups and were frankly very lucky to even make it to the last 16. Honestly I think Ajax have had one of the most impressive runs of the last 10 years.

It doesn’t matter though. Spurs are favorites to win the tie, they are a more experienced team and should have higher expectations.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern

How the hell do people rate City above Juventus in the CL? I just don't get it. They are the best domestic side in England, no doubt about it, but they've had less semi finals in the last 10 years than Liverpool had in the last 2... And everytime they got knocked out, it's either being totally annihilated or, since Pep started, just embarrassing themselves against individually far inferior sides. People talk as if they were Madrid under Zidane...

You are definitely favorites against Ajax though, as were we, Juventus and Real. Beating Dortmund 4-0 over two legs is definitely not something worth talking about though, they've been atrocious for a long time. Almost as meaningless as smashing a laughably bad Schalke.

charlenefan

You talk about similar feats between how you and Ajax got to the final but Ajax did it by being the better team over two legs, Spurs did it while being massively second best in the 2nd leg at least

You also talk about how Ajax play the same way as City but City do it better, while on paper that may seem so but make no mistake playing European sides is a much different task to playing a domestic rival even if on paper that domestic rival is streets ahead

I appreciate you are caveating a lot of what you say but the tie is too close to call, I can just as easily see Ajax completely out class you as I can see Spurs do to Ajax what they did to Dortmund

Henry

Supports
FCB
Well yeah, he's still a good striker.

He's just clearly not the monster consistent game changer he was a few seasons ago, now if we were talking about that Suarez I'd agree with you, but we're not.

That Suarez was a Ballon d'or contender and easily one of the best players in the world outright, his level has dropped since.
This is correct. Don't know many people watch Barcelona consistently but Suarez can be fecking shocking at times. Some games he just obliterates every attack with his first touch, can't make a simple side pass and miss easy sitters. He can still produce magic at times but he is nowhere near the levels from a few years ago. Definitely wouldn't rate him above Mané, Salah or Firmino.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's going to be a Liverpool vs Ajax final... Liverpool are going to win the whole thing. I absolutely hope I've got that wrong.

Some of the attempts not to see how Liverpool's strengths are a hellish problem for this Barcelona side are hope overriding the reality of the situation, I think. It will take a mammoth effort from not only Messi but also the midfield unit to kill the tie before they even get to Anfield. Liverpool will beat them handily at home, I suspect. Busquets and Suarez are not the players they once were and the former, in particular, is going to have to have a couple of games for the ages to stave off the unsettling tactics designed to suffocate supply to the front line. He isn't as press resistant as he used to be and disrupting him can shake the whole Barca side as it will drag Messi deeper and deeper, which in turn forces the attack to have to go it alone - Suarez is not going to do much without Messi in close proximity.

Further, Barca rely on Alba galavanting to create width and an outlet ball. It's not a good idea vs. to expose your flank to the counter against the pace Liverpool break at.

If Messi has a top performance, a lot of this will be redundant and he can kill the tie, but I'm not sure he will. The absolute worst thing of all is if Liverpool score early at the Nou Camp. It'll be a walk over if that happens as they are then more likely to score on the break than Barca are to break them down.

Spurs are decimated and Ajax are young, aggressive.and persistent. Spurs need to stay in the tie in the 1st leg and make the second a winner takes all match. Delli Alli also needs to step up as they need more than Son to be on his game to make the second leg a contest.

Eddy_JukeZ

Barcelona aren't the force they were, but they have a habit of playing just well enough to win and they've had good results away from home under Valverde.

I think they will sneak through hopefully.

Cait Sith

The thought of Henderson and 33 year old Milner midfield causing Barca any sort of problems is laughable. Yeah, they run a lot. And that's all.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It's going to be a Liverpool vs Ajax final... Liverpool are going to win the whole thing. I absolutely hope I've got that wrong.

Some of the attempts not to see how Liverpool's strengths are a hellish problem for this Barcelona side are hope overriding the reality of the situation, I think. It will take a mammoth effort from not only Messi but also the midfield unit to kill the tie before they even get to Anfield. Liverpool will beat them handily at home, I suspect. Busquets and Suarez are not the players they once were and the former, in particular, is going to have to have a couple of games for the ages to stave off the unsettling tactics designed to suffocate supply to the front line. He isn't as press resistant as he used to be and disrupting him can shake the whole Barca side as it will drag Messi deeper and deeper, which in turn forces the attack to have to go it alone - Suarez is not going to do much without Messi in close proximity.

Further, Barca rely on Alba galavanting to create width and an outlet ball. It's not a good idea vs. to expose your flank to the counter against the pace Liverpool break at.

If Messi has a top performance, a lot of this will be redundant and he can kill the tie, but I'm not sure he will. The absolute worst thing of all is if Liverpool score early at the Nou Camp. It'll be a walk over if that happens as they are then more likely to score on the break than Barca are to break them down.

Spurs are decimated and Ajax are young, aggressive.and persistent. Spurs need to stay in the tie in the 1st leg and make the second a winner takes all match. Delli Alli also needs to step up as they need more than Son to be on his game to make the second leg a contest.
Barca's midfield DESTROYS Liverpool's, it's not even close. You really really underrate them just becaue Busquets had a poor first half against United in the first leg. I'd take Rakitic and Arthur over any Liverpool midfielder.

Barca have gone 32 games at home in UCl without a loss. I think it's far more likely Barca wreck Liverpool at home than the other way around.

Liverpool looked poor for a lot of the time against Porto in that second leg, but obviously Liverpool are very clinical. I also think you're underrating Barca a bit defensively.

I do think Liverpool have a better chance of advancing, but it's going to be neck and neck.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The thought of Henderson and 33 year old Milner midfield causing Barca any sort of problems is laughable. Yeah, they run a lot. And that's all.
Yes, it is bizarre how badly Barca are treated like Young Boys in this matchup on this forum.

CognitiveNeuro

The Liverpool-Barcelona tie all depends on how Valverde sets up in Camp Nou. Barcelona are terrible at stopping counterattacks and Liverpool live for this especially away from home.

If he allows the fullbacks to push up a lot and leave the flanks exposed, Klopp will play high pressing transition football and you could see Mane and Salah getting a couple away goals. If he does that then Liverpool are going to go through to the final because Barcelona will leave a lot of space at Anfield to get goals.

Maybe he should follow what Guardiola did and play fullbacks that stayed deeper and maybe someone to stay closer with Busquets especially if they're targetting him, sort of like a double pivot.

The front 3 alone for Barcelona can damage them if he restricts the fullbacks.

Score-draw or Liverpool winning at Camp Nou and Barcelona are out.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Barcelona are so vulnerable away from home, that I have to back Liverpool to go through. The fact they beat United at Old Trafford is irrelevant, it just shows how poor United are at home. Usually Barca fail to get anything away from home. They consistently got battered away in Italy, whether it's Rome, Juventus or Milan. Against Atletico, they can't win away in the CL either. They failed to win away even at smaller places like Lyon. Last year they only won ONCE the whole season away from home in Europe.

Even in peak times, they struggled away. At the Emirates, we faced the greatest Barca team of all time under Guardiola twice, once we drew and once we won. At Stamford Bridge, again, same problem. Unable to win.

So my prediction is simple: They will get battered at Anfield. If they have any chance of making it through, Barca will have to rack up the goals at Camp Nou (even that might not be enough, see Roma).

Just to be clear, I support Barca in this match, I actually want Barca to beat Liverpool. But Barca's away record is horrific!!!!!

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Henderson will be all over Busquets and it's not the names people should be focusing on or even the technical acumen, but rather the execution of a plan and how the pieces fit together in said plan.

Henderson's objective will be to have Busquets play at a pace he would rather not, it doesn't necessarily mean to make for the press, rather have him make snapshot decisions and relaying the ball back in and around him over and over to tire him and force the other midfielders back to help.

The notion Barcelona are anything close to what they used to be in terms of the midfield and the few ways of getting at them is outright false and part of that is Busquets himself not being the player he was.

The higher the tempo the better for Liverpool, by far. In terms of legs, only Alba could slot into their side. Barcelona need to slow the game as much as possible; they won't win an open contest vs Liverpool and they would be foolish to try. Barcelona's means of slowing the game depend on Busquets and then Arthur and Messi, but that chain depends on Busquets otherwise the others cannot do their thing.
Barca's midfield DESTROYS Liverpool's, it's not even close. You really really underrate them just becaue Busquets had a poor first half against United in the first leg. I'd take Rakitic and Arthur over any Liverpool midfielder.

Barca have gone 32 games at home in UCl without a loss. I think it's far more likely Barca wreck Liverpool at home than the other way around.

Liverpool looked poor for a lot of the time against Porto in that second leg, but obviously Liverpool are very clinical. I also think you're underrating Barca a bit defensively.

I do think Liverpool have a better chance of advancing, but it's going to be neck and neck.
They haven't played Liverpool x amount of times or teams with their strengths in that game accumulation.

Man for man is also meaningless as it's style of play and how they mesh that is the key consideration unless you've got a legacy team with game-breaking/match deciding players dotted across the pitch (think MSN with much better midfield behind them than what Barca have now) Messi is the only player who fits that description now with Dembele and the rest being in line with what the opposing side have.

Liverpool's attack actually has the better synergy and they will destroy you on the break, guaranteed, if you give them the chance to. When is the last time you faced two wing forwards of the mold of Liverpool's running in tandem, do you think? Your defence will be stretched wide to the outside of the CB's - you won't have targets to home in on through the middle. It will be on Busquets to fill these gaps inside the fullback and outside the centre backs, he's decent at that not great.

You're likely to beat them at Nou Camp, and they will beat you at Anfield by a greater margin, thus knocking you out. This, with Messi not having one of his special nights accepted. If he does, then obviously things change and I expect you'll go through. I hope you don't concede first at home - you're in big trouble if you do.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Our problem is first leg vs Ajax we're missing Son, with Kane already out.

That's going to be a problem. We need Lucas to step up big time.
Wasn’t you laughing at people impressed with Ajax a few weeks ago, I remember you saying how crap they are and are not even top of a crap Dutch league, it was Real Madrid who were too crap and lost, nothing to do with Ajax? :lol:

Now it’s a problem because you’re missing two players, surely you’re expecting to dick them being the measly overrated crap dutch league Ajax team :)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Wasn’t you laughing at people impressed with Ajax a few weeks ago, I remember you saying how crap they are and are not even top of a crap Dutch league, it was Real Madrid who were too crap and lost, nothing to do with Ajax? :lol:

Now it’s a problem because you’re missing two players, surely you’re expecting to dick them being the measly overrated crap dutch league Ajax team :)
Surely, if he did say that, its a good thing when people realise their mistakes? I think its fair to say very few people gave Ajax (or Spurs for that matter) much hope of getting to the semi final.

We're not just missing 2 players though. We're missing our first 2 strikers, the source of most of our goals. Our midfielder responsible for a lot after is having to play with a broken hand. We currently have 1 fit central midfielder, though hopefully some of the injured ones come back for the first leg. And I guess 1st choice rb this season, though they're all pretty meh.

The funny thing is people just look at names so often with football. If we go out against Ajax, I'm sure it will be a bottling job or a missed opportunity or how could we lose to this team. If we went out to City, Juve or Madrid, nobody would bat an eyelid. Yet Ajax eviscerated the latter two and are very deservedly in this semi. They've shown they're better than those 2 this season.

Supports
Ajax
yep. vertonghen is literally the biggest ajax legend of the last 15 years basically. gonna be hard to bring out a proper hostile atmosphere against that.
Won’t need to, Vertonghen and Alderweireld will start scoring own goals in case Ajax drop behind. :p

We all know where their true loyalty lies. :p

Ajax odds started at around 250:1 back in july. They have to climb down on their initial analyses slowly. ;)

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Surely, if he did say that, its a good thing when people realise their mistakes? I think its fair to say very few people gave Ajax (or Spurs for that matter) much hope of getting to the semi final.

We're not just missing 2 players though. We're missing our first 2 strikers, the source of most of our goals. Our midfielder responsible for a lot after is having to play with a broken hand. We currently have 1 fit central midfielder, though hopefully some of the injured ones come back for the first leg. And I guess 1st choice rb this season, though they're all pretty meh.

The funny thing is people just look at names so often with football. If we go out against Ajax, I'm sure it will be a bottling job or a missed opportunity or how could we lose to this team. If we went out to City, Juve or Madrid, nobody would bat an eyelid. Yet Ajax eviscerated the latter two and are very deservedly in this semi. They've shown they're better than those 2 this season.
Good that people realise mistakes yes, I just find it funny the assurance of ones own beliefs and refusal to take other people’s points on board and then U turn on them.

It would be nice to see some more humility behind opinions occasionally.

And they’ve only beaten Real and Juve because they are no good themselves, am I right @SquishyMcSquish ?