Champions League SF Draw & Matches

::sonny::

Congrats to Juve, they have Pirlo-Vidal-Marchisio-Pogba, the best midfield in Europe which didn't cost nothing

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It will be a great final. Richard Sadlier was very good on RTE 2, Dunphy made a fool of himself 'I can give you plenty of examples (of bad defending by Guardiola teams). You were probably watching at home, Ritchie'

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
So chuffed for Buffon, Pirlo and the others. Absolutely deserved win. I didn't think any Italian teams would reach the final of the CL for a while but Juve have done exceptionally well and there can't be any complaints about the two finalists. Barca's attack will be a much more formidable test but I trust in Juve's defensive capabilities and their teamwork and hope they put up a good fight in Berlin. We had crazy scenes here tonight and I can imagine there'll be a lot more festivities in Italy, should Juve overcome Barca.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Juventus has always been a thorn in Real Madrid's flesh (going back to 02/03, 04/05, and then now). Interesting how history repeats.
Yep, Juve have a great record against RM.
And remember 2002/03 when we beat Juve in both group stage games (even 0-3 away), we then lost to RM in the quarters, but in the semis Juve still managed to eliminate RM.

Treble

Barca and Juve deserve to play in the final. Bayern and Madrid suffered from injuries to key players. Sometimes injuries are a matter of luck, sometimes there is something more to them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Barca and Juve deserve to play in the final. Bayern and Madrid suffered from injuries to key players. Sometimes injuries are a matter of luck, sometimes there is something more to them.
Bayern have lots of injuries. But Madrid having modric out is no excuse for them I'm afraid. Juventus simply got the better of them on merit.

Treble

Bayern have lots of injuries. But Madrid having modric out is no excuse for them I'm afraid. Juventus simply got the better of them on merit.
No Benz in the first leg and a rusty Benz in the second was very important, IMO. Imagine Barca without Busquets and Suarez. It would still be a very good team but not a brilliant one.

amolbhatia50k

No Benz in the first leg and rusty Benz in the second was very important, IMO.
Same goes for Juve and pogba then.

I'm sorry but Madrid who have spent so much don't have the luxury of such excuses. Their situation isn't what what happened with bayern where injures genuinely hurt them. Ancelotti's fault that he has no holding midfielders he trusts at the club and sold Alonso, and had to field Ramos a few times.

Treble

Same goes for Juve and pogba then.

I'm sorry but Madrid who have spent so much don't have the luxury of such excuses. Their situation isn't what what happened with bayern where injures genuinely hurt them. Ancelotti's fault that he has no holding midfielders he trusts at the club and sold Alonso, and had to field Ramos a few times.
Let's not pretend that the absence of Benzema and Modric was of the same importance for Madrid as the absence of Pogba for Juve. Yes, maybe Ancelotti made a mistake by selling Alonso but one can never predict where injuries could hit the team. Luck is very important in sport.

amolbhatia50k

Let's not pretend that the absence of Benzema and Modric was of the same importance for Madrid as the absence of Pogba for Juve. Yes, maybe Ancelotti made a mistake by selling Alonso but one can never predict where injuries could hit the team. Luck is very important in sport.
So is actual performance which Juve did and Madrid didn't.

No one needs to pretend. He's one of their starters just like benzema is. You sound like you're making excuses. Shit happens, teams under perform sometimes and win jack.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Very happy my fear of destiny being with Real Madrid winning this years title won't come to pass.

Treble

So is actual performance which Juve did and Madrid didn't.

No one needs to pretend. He's one of their starters just like benzema is. You sound like you're making excuses. Shit happens, teams under perform sometimes and win jack.
I'm not making excuses, I'm reluctant to accept narratives which portray the failure of some team as a natural corollary of a manager's mistakes and ignore the role of luck and unpredictability of the game (think of Hames hitting the post in the first leg). Overall, I think that it's good for football that no team manages to retain the CL and it is refreshing to see Juve in the final again. Barca and Juve have been the most consistent teams, Madrid struggled already against Schalke...Still, maybe they were a bit more lucky with injuries which is in the normal course of things and might be due to the way the teams have been trained as well.

amolbhatia50k

I'm not making excuses, I'm reluctant to accept narratives which portray the failure of some team as a natural corollary of a manager's mistakes and ignore the role of luck and unpredictability of the game. Overall, I think that it's good for football that no team manages to retain the CL and it is refreshing to see Juve in the final again. Barca and Juve have been the most consistent teams, Madrid struggled already against Schalke...Still, maybe they were a bit more lucky with injuries which is in th enormal course of thins and might be due to the way the teams have been trained as well.
Why do you have to engage in blame games or excuse making, though? There's a middle ground where Juventus can be given credit and praised as the better team and deserving of being in the final, and Madrid not being good to deserve the final over the two legs.

You don't have to either blame injuries luck or slam ancelotti for being incompetent. There is the abovementioned middle ground.

For me, ancelotti has done a good job this season but there are other more deserving winners than his team on the cl and other fronts. I would keep him because I don't think winning no trophies automatically means he's done a bad job. But yes he and Madrid do have to improve their league record.