Championship 22/23

Man-United

How is a competitive League the sign of low quality? Surely it’s the opposite where if one team has 42 points it’s a sign of a poor league.
Could be both. No team that's good enough to get more points than that after 14 games won't scare the PL teams.

Based on how many teams from that league that has struggled in the Premier League the last few years with going back down again, it's not too impressive imo.

Mr. Robot

I watch a lot of the Championship and the quality is very poor. And it’s not really a surprise considering the difference in money available compared to the Premier League.

You generally get one really bad team in the Championship who become the league’s whipping boys and then the other 23 clubs all seem to beat each other. It’s an extremely entertaining league because of this.

But as I said, the quality is pretty bad.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Burnley top of the table with more draws than wins :lol:

matys

I watch a lot of the Championship and the quality is very poor. And it’s not really a surprise considering the difference in money available compared to the Premier League.

You generally get one really bad team in the Championship who become the league’s whipping boys and then the other 23 clubs all seem to beat each other. It’s an extremely entertaining league because of this.

But as I said, the quality is pretty bad.
It also depends how you look at it, if you compare it to PL then obviously the gap in quality is huge, but juxtapose it with other second tier leagues and it's a different story.

12 points between first place and relegation zone after one third of the season :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Glad Beale has turned Wolves down. Seems like an interesting up and coming manager and it would be nice if he managed to get QPR up.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Champo is a great competition. Not so sure it can be labelled poor. The level down there compares to most national championships outside of the big 5 without the top teams I.e. Ajax etc.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I have no idea where we’ll finish this season, we could end in a mid-table position yet again, but I’m delighted thar we have 30 points on the board already.

22 league games and counting without a draw now.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The fact that we are in 2nd place and 2 points off top spot, despite losing 8 games is just crazy.

With the big derby (and also top of the table clash) against Burnley coming up on Sunday, clearly we'll be playing a completely weakened team against West Ham in the League Cup tomorrow. It will be a nice experience for our younger players to play in a big stadium.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Has your manager definitely gone?
He's officially talking to them after this game. I can't see him staying to be honest, it's his chance to manage at the top level, I can't be angry at him for that but it is sad and has stressed me out more than it should.

Our best hope is the Soton fans throw a fit and their board get shook and get Big Sam instead.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's officially talking to them after this game. I can't see him staying to be honest, it's his chance to manage at the top level, I can't be angry at him for that but it is sad and has stressed me out more than it should.

Our best hope is the Soton fans throw a fit and their board get shook and get Big Sam instead.
It is a big chance, but didn't he fail at Stoke or was that under difficult circumstances?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It is a big chance, but didn't he fail at Stoke or was that under difficult circumstances?
He did fail at Stoke. Literally said the other day that when he got there, it seemed like none of the players gave a shit if they won or not :lol:

He's good with working on a budget though so maybe that's what Southampton are looking for? Stoke just wasn't a good fit I reckon.

But yeah, it's a big chance and if he thinks he can do it then good luck to him. I can't get pissed, he saved us from relegation a couple seasons back and has established us as a upper mid tier team in the championship with no budget.

DomesticTadpole

He did fail at Stoke. Literally said the other day that when he got there, it seemed like none of the players gave a shit if they won or not :lol:

He's good with working on a budget though so maybe that's what Southampton are looking for? Stoke just wasn't a good fit I reckon.

But yeah, it's a big chance and if he thinks he can do it then good luck to him. I can't get pissed, he saved us from relegation a couple seasons back and has established us as a upper mid tier team in the championship with no budget.
Just hope the Southampton fans give him a chance. Trouble with PL fans is that they all think Zindane wants to manage them.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just hope the Southampton fans give him a chance. Trouble with PL fans is that they all think Zindane wants to manage them.
That's true. It's a big risk though, they're in a relegation battle and going for someone unproven at that level.

I also wonder if they'll be on board with his counter attack style. It's fine for Luton as we know we are usually punching above our weight but I wonder if Soton fans will feel the same...

DomesticTadpole

That's true. It's a big risk though, they're in a relegation battle and going for someone unproven at that level.

I also wonder if they'll be on board with his counter attack style. It's fine for Luton as we know we are usually punching above our weight but I wonder if Soton fans will feel the same...
We will see. His first task will be getting the players onside. Depends how many he has to work with over the World Cup break.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Frustrating to concede in the 89th, the team has been poor for conceding early and late goals, and it's troubling the amounts of points dropped late on.
Having said that some of the football today was outstanding, it really is impressive the style of football Martin is getting out of these players. The owners refuse to spend but hopefully they can bring someone in during the Jan window on loan. A couple more bodies and I think a playoff spot is likely.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest

How’s Hovarth doing? If we go down he’ll probably be our No1 Keeper. You seem to be conceding more then last year - though might be wrong?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Good result for Blackburn, especially considering the age of the side. Moyes has been making some odd managerial decisions, not so much about the game today but his natural proclivity towards conservatism in his football has caused them numerous problems this season.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
How’s Hovarth doing? If we go down he’ll probably be our No1 Keeper. You seem to be conceding more then last year - though might be wrong?
He's actually been decent. Think conceding 3 against Huddersfield and 4 against Watford has skewed things a bit but those aren't mostly his fault.

Generally he's been solid and mainly beaten by either wonder goals or brain farts from the defense. He has put in monster performances, especially the recent game against Blackpool (I recommend you check the highlights for that on YouTube).

It hasn't helped that we haven't had a settled backline due to injuries and even at one point all of our centre halves were missing.

He's had a solid start to the season.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
He's actually been decent. Think conceding 3 against Huddersfield and 4 against Watford has skewed things a bit but those aren't mostly his fault.

Generally he's been solid and mainly beaten by either wonder goals or brain farts from the defense. He has put in monster performances, especially the recent game against Blackpool (I recommend you check the highlights for that on YouTube).

It hasn't helped that we haven't had a settled backline due to injuries and even at one point all of our centre halves were missing.

He's had a solid start to the season.
Cheers - I check the Luton team sheet each game and saw he missed a game so wondered about his form. He never really got a chance with us until Samba had his Stoke tantrum last season but like you said - when he played he was solid, reliable and never let us down. All the best for the season.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cheers - I check the Luton team sheet each game and saw he missed a game so wondered about his form. He never really got a chance with us until Samba had his Stoke tantrum last season but like you said - when he played he was solid, reliable and never let us down. All the best for the season.
Yeah I think he missed the last game from sickness as he was phenomenal in the game prior. Thanks mate!

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I’m was delighted with our performance and result yesterday !

To make completely wholesale changes (a no-brainer with the big derby coming up on Sunday) and still play so well and knock out an established Premier League team away from home was a great effort.

Our youth and development set-up is excellent, and definitely Premier League standard (better than that of many Premier League clubs), despite the fact that we’ve had a mid-table standard Championship first team over the past few years. We seem to be effective at getting players that not are good enough to make the grade at fellow North West clubs, and giants like Utd in-particular and Liverpool, but who are still talented, before developing them from there.

West Ham was our single worst away fixture results-wise when we were a Premier League club bar none, so I’m not used to seeing us enjoy a positive result there !

Last edited:

Man-United

Biggest game of the season today in The Championship, Burnley v Blackburn. A must watch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I’m was delighted with our performance and result yesterday !

To make completely wholesale changes (a no-brainer with the big derby coming up on Sunday) and still play so well and knock out an established Premier League team away from home was a great effort.

Our youth and development set-up is excellent, and definitely Premier League standard (better than that of many Premier League clubs), despite the fact that we’ve had a mid-table standard Championship first team over the past few years. We seem to be effective at getting players that not are good enough to make the grade at fellow North West clubs, and giants like Utd in-particular and Liverpool, but who are still talented, before developing them from there.

West Ham was our single worst away fixture results-wise when we were a Premier League club bar none, so I’m not used to seeing us enjoy a positive result there !
Unlucky lad

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Anyone just see that Alfie Doughty goal for Luton?? Contender for goal of the season that will be...

Finally we're gonna beat QPR away... First time since the early 80s :D

DomesticTadpole

Anyone just see that Alfie Doughty goal for Luton?? Contender for goal of the season that will be...

Finally we're gonna beat QPR away... First time since the early 80s :D
Up to fifth I think they said, just shows what a couple of wins can do. It was a cracking goal.