Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Mission accomplished. We finished 5th, not 12th!
Does it really matter if you’re still out of the top4?

...clearly there’s a problem with the players and the higherups there. Mourinho wins league, players stop playing for him year after. Conté wins league, players stop playing for him year after. Managers don’t seem to last all that long at Chelsea. I’m sure whoever takes the job will definitely keep that in mind and it’ll surely scare some away.

el3mel

Lost to Bournemouth 3-0, Watford 4-1 and Newcastle 3-0. Stunning results there.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Youve only really begun operating within your means last couple years. Roman dumped about billion into your club first 10 years and he is still paying for your new stadium yes?
2006 was the last summer we had a massive spend that could be considered beyond our means, since then our net spend has been relatively low January 2011 aside. The stadium will not be paid for out of Roman's pocket im sure of that, at best it will be a loan.

...clearly there’s a problem with the players and the higherups there. Mourinho wins league, players stop playing for him year after. Conté wins league, players stop playing for him year after. Managers don’t seem to last all that long at Chelsea. I’m sure whoever takes the job will definitely keep that in mind and it’ll surely scare some away.
That still doesn't make this season as bad as that. This seasons been shit but that was an unprecedented all time collapse that will likely never be seen in the top flight again.

Kapardin

The only major culprit is Hazard who gives up when he decides he doesn't like the manager. However, likes of Azpi, Moses, Kante, Willian etc have been playing as well as they can and have showed no signs of downing tools.

The real problems were the signings of Morata and Bakayoko. Two key positions, two failures. That did Chelsea in. Add the negative mentality of Conte in the later stages of the season and it was a sure-fire failure.

Classical Mechanic

Chelsea need to get an identity. Their side is just a collection of hired guns. They should ditch a load of their deadwood and promote some of their youth players. There is talk of Mason Mount being used in the first team next season. Player like him love the club (for some reason) they haven't had a core since Lampard, Drogba and Terry have gone.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The only major culprit is Hazard who gives up when he decides he doesn't like the manager. However, likes of Azpi, Moses, Kante, Willian etc have been playing as well as they can and have showed no signs of downing tools.

The real problems were the signings of Morata and Bakayoko. Two key positions, two failures. That did Chelsea in. Add the negative mentality of Conte in the later stages of the season and it was a sure-fire failure.
There's absolutely no evidence of that re Hazard whatsoever. Infact for a few months this season he has played his best football for us.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They're so weird. Instead of trying to find a way to utilise their excellent youth players, they keep loaning them out or selling them. Christensen should be the norm, not the exception.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Made the same mistakes they made after winning the title in 2015. Diego Costa's importance to this team was underrated.

I hate the way they've been handling the transfer market in recent years, too many mistakes. They need to make a stand and spend big money this summer while keeping their key players but it's not going to be easy without CL football.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
2006 was the last summer we had a massive spend that could be considered beyond our means, since then our net spend has been relatively low January 2011 aside. The stadium will not be paid for out of Roman's pocket im sure of that, at best it will be a loan.

Are you seriously trying to say you have been 100% self sustaining since 2006?
And its not just about "net spend" which is something only journalists talk about.

Based on Deloittes and Swiss Ramble youve never naturally made more money in a season than Arsenal. And youre wages have been far higher up until the last year or two.

Also even if Roman is just giving you a loan, the interest rates will be way better than if you financed naturally so it does amount to a big gift.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'll predict right now that Chelsea will finish outside the top 4 again next season.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'll predict right now that Chelsea will finish outside the top 4 again next season.
Haha, I’d be more worried about Spurs if I were you. Or are you still convinced you’ll keep Kane and the rest while paying them peanuts because of the ‘project’?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Haha, I’d be more worried about Spurs if I were you. Or are you still convinced you’ll keep Kane and the rest while paying them peanuts because of the ‘project’?
:nono: Every top player wants to train at Spurs new training facilities and watch the NFL games.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Same was said in 2016.

If you come at us we are in trouble, but will Jose do that or sit and let us dictate like he did in the league games?
Except they have more leverage now since their contracts are running out.

Hojoon

It's too early to predict how they'll do next season without knowing their manager or what they'll do in the summer.

Paxi

First time they'll be in a full Europa League campaign next season since christ knows when.

1st time every maybe?

That will affect them.
No they were in UEFA Cup under Ranieri when Roman first took over iirc. I was like 13 so sorry if my memory is a bit hazy.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Why would I be worried about Spurs? We've finished effectively 8 points clear of Chelsea whilst playing away from our true home ground for the entire season.

And now we return to what will be a fantastic new stadium.

Kane will be playing for Spurs next season without the slightest shadow of a doubt. But you can't say the same about Hazard re. Chelsea.

Paxi

No they were in the Champions League when Roman took over.

They beat Liverpool on the last day in 2003 to qualify.
Sorry it was 2002-2003. They went out first round.

Roman took over that summer.

Djemba-Djemba

Sorry it was 2002-2003. They went out first round.

Roman took over that summer.
So a good 16 years then.

Pre Roman. A totally different Chelsea.

Really interesting to see how they handle it, the Europa league definitely affected our season and I think it affected Arsenal this season too.

AshRK

Mission accomplished. We finished 5th, not 12th!
Jokes apart , I think for you lot this season should be considered a failure. And honestly if I were a Chelsea fan I would be fuming at conte for his behavior. Let us not forget you lot were sitting 3rd and had no trouble but suddenly conte's constant moaning did not help you. Ultimately you lot will be missing a champions league, which may or may not be a big miss but trust me europa is a killer and u less your next manager utilises his squad wisely it will be a tough season for you lot.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Jokes apart , I think for you lot this season should be considered a failure. And honestly if I were a Chelsea fan I would be fuming at conte for his behavior. Let us not forget you lot were sitting 3rd and had no trouble but suddenly conte's constant moaning did not help you. Ultimately you lot will be missing a champions league, which may or may not be a big miss but trust me europa is a killer and u less your next manager utilises his squad wisely it will be a tough season for you lot.
Of course it's a failure and Conte has been a big reason why. It's nowhere near the disaster that 2015/2016 was though.

AshRK

Of course it's a failure and Conte has been a big reason why. It's nowhere near the disaster that 2015/2016 was though.
Not arguing that. Point is that season was a downhill from game 1 for you lots but this season's failure was not at all required and most of the blame should be put on conte. You lot were doing pretty fine until conte started moaning and whining. Also, his jabs at Jose was petty and not required. He had bigger things to focus on and should have known media were playing him but he was more interested in fighting with Jose rather than focusing on finishing well.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Jokes apart , I think for you lot this season should be considered a failure. And honestly if I were a Chelsea fan I would be fuming at conte for his behavior.
You basically just described exactly what about 75% of Chelsea fans already think. :)

Also, his jabs at Jose was petty and not required. He had bigger things to focus on and should have known media were playing him but he was more interested in fighting with Jose rather than focusing on finishing well.
I don't know why you guys care about the Jose stuff though, Jose has spent his entire career having spats with other managers, its not like you need to defend some poor little delicate lamb.

Josep Dowling

2006 was the last summer we had a massive spend that could be considered beyond our means, since then our net spend has been relatively low January 2011 aside. The stadium will not be paid for out of Roman's pocket im sure of that, at best it will be a loan
You’re having a laugh. You have spent more money on players this season than United or City. You just haven’t bought very well.

AshRK

You basically just described exactly what about 75% of Chelsea fans already think. :)

I don't know why you guys care about the Jose stuff though, Jose has spent his entire career having spats with other managers, its not like you need to defend some poor little delicate lamb.
The reason I bought the Jose stuff was that had a bigger impact on conte than Jose. And again if you go back to jose's original comments he never mentioned conte. If anything both klopp and conte were asked about jose's comment and klopp to much surprise chose not to respond but conte foolishly fell in the trap. You could see conte was behaving very weird.

One thing I really liked about conte last season was his behavior with the media and he was very smart, he rarely complained and was not frustrated but this season he was constantly moaning. Point is this season's failure could have been easily avoided.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The reason I bought the Jose stuff was that had a bigger impact on conte than Jose. And again if you go back to jose's original comments he never mentioned conte. If anything both klopp and conte were asked about jose's comment and klopp to much surprise chose not to respond but conte foolishly fell in the trap. You could see conte was behaving very weird.

One thing I really liked about conte last season was his behavior with the media and he was very smart, he rarely complained and was not frustrated but this season he was constantly moaning. Point is this season's failure could have been easily avoided.
He's been a whiny little ass for most of the season. I have absolutely no idea what happened to the positive, passionate, media savvy guy we had running the show last season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
League position it's better but what Conte has done to your squad surely tops the José season? Selling us Matic, replacing Costa with Morata, being lumbered with the likes of Drinkwater and Barkley now

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
League position it's better but what Conte has done to your squad surely tops the José season? Selling us Matic, replacing Costa with Morata, being lumbered with the likes of Drinkwater and Barkley now
Writing was well and truly on the wall (well to me anyway) when they went head first into trying to get Barkley. I can't believe they came this close to fourth to be honest. Was obviously a temporary bubble.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What were the final stats from the Newcastle game? I saw it was 11 attempts to 0 in Newcastle’s favour at half time.