Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Sanche7

Does it really matter if you’re still out of the top4?

...clearly there’s a problem with the players and the higherups there. Mourinho wins league, players stop playing for him year after. Conté wins league, players stop playing for him year after. Managers don’t seem to last all that long at Chelsea. I’m sure whoever takes the job will definitely keep that in mind and it’ll surely scare some away.
These are some excerpts from Drogba's Autobiography :

“The manager (Roberto Di Matteo) was telling Branislav Ivanovic to play centre back but Jose Bosingwa said, ‘no, no, I will play centre back’, and carried on to say where he thought others should play.

In another example, the 37-year-old admits former Brazil manager Luiz Felipe Scolari insisted he would never play for the Blues again and would be sold in the January transfer window to make way for Inter Milan forward Adriano.

“When I left the meeting, the first thing I did was call Mr Abramovich and explain the situation via one of his assistants.”

He was then told by the owner: “No, you’re not going anywhere. Who said you were going?”

Not long afterwards Scolari was sacked, while Drogba went on to score in the FA Cup final success later that season under the management of Guus Hiddink.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/drogba-lifts-lid-on-player-power-at-chelsea

The situation may have changed a bit since then, but it's pretty evident that the Power at Chelsea lies with the players.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
These are some excerpts from Drogba's Autobiography :

“The manager (Roberto Di Matteo) was telling Branislav Ivanovic to play centre back but Jose Bosingwa said, ‘no, no, I will play centre back’, and carried on to say where he thought others should play.

In another example, the 37-year-old admits former Brazil manager Luiz Felipe Scolari insisted he would never play for the Blues again and would be sold in the January transfer window to make way for Inter Milan forward Adriano.

“When I left the meeting, the first thing I did was call Mr Abramovich and explain the situation via one of his assistants.”

He was then told by the owner: “No, you’re not going anywhere. Who said you were going?”

Not long afterwards Scolari was sacked, while Drogba went on to score in the FA Cup final success later that season under the management of Guus Hiddink.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/drogba-lifts-lid-on-player-power-at-chelsea

The situation may have changed a bit since then, but it's pretty evident that the Power at Chelsea lies with the players.
Bosingwa went to CB after Terry was sent off, a point when Ivan was already at CB due to Cahill's injury even earlier. Furthermore, i don't get this big obsession full control and the fact Scolari wanted to replace Drogba with Adriano supports that point.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Does it really matter if you’re still out of the top4?

...clearly there’s a problem with the players and the higherups there. Mourinho wins league, players stop playing for him year after. Conté wins league, players stop playing for him year after. Managers don’t seem to last all that long at Chelsea. I’m sure whoever takes the job will definitely keep that in mind and it’ll surely scare some away.
It's because of that exact stigma we will have managers queing up, a job were you get all of the credit and none of the blame is appealing to anyone. The narrative will be run that none of it was his fault just like it was with AVB and Jose, and just like with those two, he will still get another big job because of that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Well, that's the season over for us. FA cup win and shit in the league.

Conte will be gone. A league and an FA cup in 2 seasons aint bad at all.

Rudiger easily the best transfer, Baka the worst (although a few decent performances at the end).

Morata was a flop, there's apparently reasons why (long term injury) but it's undeniable, I was delighted to see Giroud start today.

Delighted to see a youth product (Christensen) play a real part in our season. More please!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Rudiger easily the best transfer, Baka the worst (although a few decent performances at the end).

Morata was a flop, there's apparently reasons why (long term injury) but it's undeniable, I was delighted to see Giroud start today.

Delighted to see a youth product (Christensen) play a real part in our season. More please!
Musonda and Mount next season?

duffer

Scout
Musonda and Mount next season?
Mount is a dream but I doubt it yet. RLC maybe? Really depends on who the manager is. Ampadu is the real deal but I can't really class him as a youth product in all honesty.

Musonda is a strange one, a couple of years ago I had him down as a real star but I have my doubts about his mentality. Maybe believing his own hype.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Congratulations to you and the other Chelsea fans in this forum (and, it goes without saying, thanks too) for the FA Cup win. I would give everything we have right now for those two league wins and FA cup. :(

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
They are such a weird team. When they are up for it, they could win any game, never look like conceding but when they are shit, they are really shit. Chelsea would be foolish to sack or let Conte leave. I rate him and I think they would bounce back next season in style.

AshRK

Well done to Chelsea for winning it today. Glad the final is done. One of the most underwhelming finals.

Bobski

They are such a weird team. When they are up for it, they could win any game, never look like conceding but when they are shit, they are really shit. Chelsea would be foolish to sack or let Conte leave. I rate him and I think they would bounce back next season in style.
His football is diabolical, there must be much of the same debate among their fans over that as with us and Mourinho.

duffer

Scout
Conte after the game:

"I think that after two years, the club knows me very well. And if they want to continue to work with me, they know me. I can't change. I can't change. I can't change. Nothing changes."

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Conte won the league and FA Cup in his two seasons at a time when Chelsea can no longer automatically buy their way to trophies but the football was too boring so he’s gone.

Roman Abramovich’s way has turned out to be the right way.

I’m unconvinced we’ll be rewarded for sticking by Mourinho for another season after what we’ve seen from the first two.

CA1

I think Conte has done well for Chelsea. They won't get a better manager in this summer. The players have turned it in again on a manager. They were OK yesterday bu you can see they're not firing mentally. They deserved to win because they got the goal and defended well.

Hazard will surely leave, he's too good to be down in the Europa on Thursday Nights. I think Kante is too but he will stay.

I'll wager a tip that Chelsea won't win the league again for a very long time. Possibly just like ourselves.

cyberman

Conte won the league and FA Cup in his two seasons at a time when Chelsea can no longer automatically buy their way to trophies but the football was too boring so he’s gone.

Roman Abramovich’s way has turned out to be the right way.

I’m unconvinced we’ll be rewarded for sticking by Mourinho for another season after what we’ve seen from the first two.
Is it though? No CL for the second time in three years with another rebuild on the horizon.
The last 3 FA cups have been won as consolation prizes for piss poor seasons.
Its a strange one to evaluate.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a strange one, Willian’s situation. He’s terrible in the final third of the pitch so I’ve always disliked him, and he was dogshit again first half of the season, but since January he’s been on fire. He should really be made into a CM. His balance, speed, and ability to beat a man in the middle third of the pitch is easily his best ability, not doing the same stepovers and trying shots from outside the box or crossing it aimlessly.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He spent the whole season sulking, attacking the board and seemingly making our players unhappy. What does it tell a team when their manager keeps complaining that he didn't get the players he wants? Does that build confidence, or make them want to play for him? The Conte of last season was great, but since the Costa business he's seemed like a totally different person, and that's a person I don't want running my club. It's nothing to do with results, its just that he seems like a toxic figure now and even worse looks like he doesn't really give a feck most of the time.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
What does that mean for their shithouse club?

Also how can you not renew a guy who's team plays millions in taxes? :houllier:

He should pull the plug and bankrupt them.
You can't guarantee everyone a visa just because they have business interests in your country.

Chelsea probably do not need to rely on Roman's money anymore least to compete with the other big clubs. It will make it difficult for them to compete with City though.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
What does that mean for their shithouse club?

Also how can you not renew a guy who's team plays millions in taxes? :houllier:

He should pull the plug and bankrupt them.
The wet dream of every rival fan since the takeover.:lol:
You really think Chelsea will be bankrupt if RA pulls the plug? Moreover, does one seriously believe that after all these years, RA will simply wake up on the wrong side of the bed one day and decide to "pull the plug"? :p

Last edited by a moderator: