Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I would say the first 15% (which is 6 games) is fair enough to consider a start.
They're getting battered at home to Burnley (yes Burnley), it's hardly the same as losing to Liverpool in & Arsenal is it? Granted they're down to 10 men but they look a total mess.

InfiniteBoredom

Against Liverpool and Arsenal. Then they switched to that new formation and cruised it. Their bad start is limited to 2 early losses against Liverpool/Arsenal.
Who were by no means impressive at that time, and drew Swansea too.

Point is, it's premature to take seriously a bad opening game. Let's see where they are (and us for that matter) after 5 games.

Sigma

They're getting battered at home to Burnley (yes Burnley), it's hardly the same as losing to Liverpool in & Arsenal is it? Granted they're down to 10 men but they look a total mess.
It's just one game, you can't really take anything away from it with absolute certainty.

JohnnyKills

They lost to Bayern and inter in their Asian tournament and couldn't beat Arsenal last weekend either.

JoaquinJoaquin

They will improve. Expect them to make a number of signings now.

Let's just enjoy this.
They will, but there is no doubting that there is big problems at that club at the moment. Starts with the fact Conte looks restless.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Let's just enjoy this.
We said that in 2015/16. I dunno. There's evidence from back then that the Chelsea dressing room can just go. All is not well. Hazard is still making eyes at Madrid. Costa hates Conte. Yes, they have some top talent to come back into the team like Pedro. Still, the mood around Chelsea seems off. What with Conte complaining about signings and sales publicly. They've collapsed before, its not unthinkable that they might do the same again.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
We said that in 2015/16. I dunno. There's evidence from back then that the Chelsea dressing room can just go. All is not well. Hazard is still making eyes at Madrid. Costa hates Conte. Yes, they have some top talent to come back into the team like Pedro. Still, the mood around Chelsea seems off. What with Conte complaining about signings and sales publicly. They've collapsed before, its not unthinkable that they might do the same again.
I hope it happens again.

But they started poorly last season too.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Somewhat controversial opinion, but I've been paying attention to Courtois over the past 6 months, and I genuinely believe he has regressed.

It's quite obvious as well.

He is adequate to good, but not top 3 and has never reached the heights Cech achieved while he was there.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Somewhat controversial opinion, but I've been paying attention to Courtois over the past 6 months, and I genuinely believe he has regressed.

He is adequate to good, but not top 3 and has never reached the heights Cech achieved while he was there.
I agree. He was better at Atletico.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

I don't think it's that controversial. He's never developed that commanding presence you'd have expected him to by now. Often makes the defence nervous by refusing to come off his line even when his defenders are screaming at him to do so.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Comeback showed a lot of heart. Not worried now, we've still got the fighting spirit. Shitty day, but we all have them sometimes.

Dismember

Conte probably thought that he couldnt win anything more than he did last year and probably wont even win the league this year so he had been whining his way out of the club this whole preseason. Probably, he has eyes set on some new club to manage already. He is responsible also for the tension in the club and for the two stupid reds in this match today, he has very good players, they outplayed Burnley even with 9 men, Morata looks pretty good, why not build on it and be positive ? All I see is him whining his way out of the club. He's a very good coach, but when he feels he cant accomplish something, he aggravates the simplest of problems. He's done that before at Juve. His whining probably even exceeds Mourinho's at his last season with Chelsea. Didnt think anyone could do that, at least Mourinho was in deep sh*t, Conte started the breakdown even before the season started.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
To be honest, all things considered they played quite well. It's their depth that is the real worry not the quality. They need Hazard back asap though.

ti vu

Let's just enjoy this.
The thing is signings this late ain't easy and the Chelsea board is known for having their own view on the matters. They may make signings but may be not the players Conte wants/needs.

Hazard & Bakayoko when being back on paper would help but they didn't have pre season so expecting them hit the ground running is gambling too.

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair we had Hazard, Bakayoko and Pedro out injured today, and we're still trying to bring in more players. I'm not too concerned just yet.
I just see the Bakayoko thing as bizarre, especially with how good Matic has looked for us.

Think Matic is still the better player and will be missed.

Can't for the life of me see why you let him go so early in the window knowing Bakayoko is injured and could flop being new to the PL.