Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
I prefer Zaha over Willian but I prefer Pulisic and Bailey over Zaha so don't know what to think. Similar prices for all of them.
Anyway, he's HG, 9 goals in 29 caps last season. Moses and 35m?

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
They could do with changing some of their 12 midfielders for wing-backs. Moses and Alonso backed up by Zappacosta and Emerson is almost on our level.
RB Azpi, Zappa
LB Emerson, Alonso

I am more confident in them then in our midfielders. Ofc Jorginho and Kante are great. Barkley and Cesc also for rotation.
But I don't think Drink, Baka and RLC can play Sarriball. Don't trust them at all.

Moses don't have place in this team anymore. He is third option for RB and for RW.

I think Willian-Martial swap will happen and also we'll buy someone for RW probably Zaha.

About departures - Cahill, Drinkwater, Moses and Giroud can get us a lot of money!

Last edited by a moderator:

ErranMorad

Just a feeling that Zaha will break out this season and become a 20 goal attacker with whoever he is with. Would be an excellent buy for Chelsea. Selling Willian to us for stupid money and then replacing him with Zaha would be brilliant business.

Even after that I don't think they have enough goals in the team. They need another 10-15 goal scorer from the midfield to be effective with the way Sarri plays. A Lampard would be the perfect player right now to fulfill that role. I can see them going all guns blazing for Milankovic-Savic & spending 100m Euros on him.

I would make them top contenders along with City & Liverpool if they are able to pull Zaha & Savic before the 9th.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I prefer Zaha over Willian but I prefer Pulisic and Bailey over Zaha so don't know what to think. Similar prices for all of them.
Anyway, he's HG, 9 goals in 29 caps last season. Moses and 35m?
Surely Hudson-Odoi is due for some game time this season? That kid is a star in the making.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I seriously doubt Chelsea are in need of new signings.
Their midfield looks pretty sorted. They may need a RB depending on whether they're shifted back to a four man defence. But they do undoubtedly need a central striker. They cannot pin their hopes on Morata. If they don't sign one, Hazard as the false nine may be an option but he's not exactly a stellar goalscorer.

amolbhatia50k

Surely Hudson-Odoi is due for some game time this season? That kid is a star in the making.
Manager has already said he'll be part of the first team. I see him getting chances under someone like Serri. Looks a fantastic talent.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Their midfield looks pretty sorted. They may need a RB depending on whether they're shifted back to a four man defence. But they do undoubtedly need a central striker. They cannot pin their hopes on Morata. If they don't sign one, Hazard as the false nine may be an option but he's not exactly a stellar goalscorer.
To be honest Azpicuelta is literally one of the best right backs around and Zapacosta is decent cover. Also with Sarri's football they really don't need a prolific 9. Its more important that the 9 can bring others into play consistently and for me that is what Morata and Giroud are best at plus Batshuyayi in an attacking system like Sarri's can emerge a a proper force. Yet even if Morata left I think Abaram can more than step in with his potential. Other wise for me Chelsea merely under performed last season and with Jorginho signing on they are pretty much set to challenge big again.

Instead of signing for me they really need to get the like of Loftus-Cheek and Hudson -Odoi from the youth ranks better involved in first team football

I am more confident in them then in our midfielders. Ofc Jorginho and Kante are great. Barkley and Cesc also for rotation.
But I don't think Drink, Baka and RLC can play Sarriball. Don't trust them at all.

Don't be deceived by Conte's utter mishandling of Bakayoko. Under Sarri he will thrive as a box to box player, giving cover to Kante. Drinkwater is aaso a better passer than he is given credit . He could easily find a new lease of life under Sarri. RLC if given chance will thrive for he is very similar to the Polish midfielder who was a regular hit under Sarri for Napoli

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think it’ll take the team some time to understand what Sarri wants. Patience is required, I’m sure that’s why he wants Vecino despite our stacked midfield. Not expecting a flying start.

We’ve got far too many players (30 including Bulka), lucky we can still sell or loan to Europe after the 9th. No idea why we’d be interested in Zaha, we’ve got loads of wingers and Hudson-Odoi will need game time. Fairly certain Hazard and Pedro will be our main starting wide forwards at the start of the season.

Sarri needs to sort out our first team and backups then sell / loan at least 5 players. Two more friendly games to go for more learning, when the world cup players are back from Holiday they will need tactical indoctrination and to forget how we’ve played the last 5 years.

Only position we need to strengthen is striker. Morata can do a job for us, if his head is right. Same for Batshuayi . Giroud will be an option off the Bench, he scored prolifically for Arsenal doing that.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

If he stays, Hazard will absolutely rip teams apart in Sarri's system. They have a big chance to win the title this season imo.

Seven Seas Sardines

Don't be deceived by Conte's utter mishandling of Bakayoko. Under Sarri he will thrive as a box to box player, giving cover to Kante. Drinkwater is aaso a better passer than he is given credit . He could easily find a new lease of life under Sarri. RLC if given chance will thrive for he is very similar to the Polish midfielder who was a regular hit under Sarri for Napoli
Dunno who you've made up cos the only regular hit AM under Sarri for Napoli has been Hamsik.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Absolute madness that it looks as though we're going into the new season having signed only one player. One! We finished 30 points behind City and think a new manager and one new player is going to close a gap that massive?

Haha alright, I believed you thought Hamsik was Polish. Someone will have to play more advanced than Kante & Jorginho though and he's not displacing either.
Fair enough. Sarri tends to play a 4-3-3 with one deep and two ahead. The two ahead being a box to box player on one side and an AM on the other. I believe RLC can thrive in either role. So he should be a regular option in the squad if given the chance

AllezLesDiables

Absolute madness that it looks as though we're going into the new season having signed only one player. One! We finished 30 points behind City and think a new manager and one new player is going to close a gap that massive?
Yep, the striker situation is a bit dubious.

Jorginho and Kante make a great 2 but the third option choices aren’t great and Fabregas runs with a piano on his back these days.

Alonso is a bit slow for the system.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think it’ll take the team some time to understand what Sarri wants. Patience is required, I’m sure that’s why he wants Vecino despite our stacked midfield. Not expecting a flying start.

We’ve got far too many players (30 including Bulka), lucky we can still sell or loan to Europe after the 9th. No idea why we’d be interested in Zaha, we’ve got loads of wingers and Hudson-Odoi will need game time. Fairly certain Hazard and Pedro will be our main starting wide forwards at the start of the season.

Sarri needs to sort out our first team and backups then sell / loan at least 5 players. Two more friendly games to go for more learning, when the world cup players are back from Holiday they will need tactical indoctrination and to forget how we’ve played the last 5 years.

Only position we need to strengthen is striker. Morata can do a job for us, if his head is right. Same for Batshuayi . Giroud will be an option off the Bench, he scored prolifically for Arsenal doing that.
If the rumour on the interest in Higuain is true, then i am afraid Giroud may be surplus to requirement for Sarri. Sarri probably prefer a fluid front 3. Mario Balotelli is currently available so may be a good option?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well yeah, that one player is a massive gamechanger and the manager isn't Conte.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
If the rumour on the interest in Higuain is true, then i am afraid Giroud may be surplus to requirement for Sarri. Sarri probably prefer a fluid front 3. Mario Balotelli is currently available so may be a good option?
Higuain has moved to Milan. Balotelli is being linked heavily with a return to Serie A, probably with Parma.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Higuain said he felt only Sarri wanted him so that is why he went to Milan where he felt more wanted. If Chelsea are making just one more signing then I think it'll be an attacker but they need to cut down their squad first. Currently they have 34 players needed to be registered (Abraham, Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi are fine).

Players that are pretty certain to be registered:
  1. Courtois
  2. Caballero
  3. Green (HG)
  4. Rudiger
  5. Christensen (HG)
  6. Luiz
  7. Cahill (HG)
  8. Alonso
  9. Emerson
  10. Azpilicueta
  11. Zappacosta
  12. Kante
  13. Jorginho
  14. Bakayoko
  15. Fabregas (HG)
  16. Moses (HG)
  17. Barkley (HG)
  18. Hazard
  19. Pedro
  20. Willian
  21. Morata
  22. Batshuayi (50/50, think he'll be off if Chelsea can sign another attacker)
  23. Giroud
Players that will probably be loaned out/sold who would need to be registered if they stayed:
  1. Zouma
  2. Kalas
  3. Hector (HG)
  4. Miazga
  5. Omeruo
  6. Aina (HG)
  7. Drinkwater (HG)
  8. Loftus-Cheek (HG, regular football)
  9. Musonda Jr (HG)
  10. Piazon (HG)
Injured:
  1. van Ginkel
I really do think the player numbers issue is why Chelsea haven't made more moves in the market.

Homegrown status is a big problem for Chelsea too. From the players I mentioned in the first list, Chelsea wouldn't be able to register any more unless they were homegrown too.

Makes sense for Chelsea to be linked with Pickford and Zaha. Would sort out their numbers for a bit but Green and Cahill won't be at Chelsea much longer so numbers will be an issue again unless the next set of Chelsea academy players push on like Ampadu, Hudson-Odoi and Christensen are doing.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Higuain said he felt only Sarri wanted him so that is why he went to Milan where he felt more wanted. If Chelsea are making just one more signing then I think it'll be an attacker but they need to cut down their squad first. Currently they have 34 players needed to be registered (Abraham, Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi are fine).

Players that are pretty certain to be registered:
  1. Courtois
  2. Caballero
  3. Green (HG)
  4. Rudiger
  5. Christensen (HG)
  6. Luiz
  7. Cahill (HG)
  8. Alonso
  9. Emerson
  10. Azpilicueta
  11. Zappacosta
  12. Kante
  13. Jorginho
  14. Bakayoko
  15. Fabregas (HG)
  16. Moses (HG)
  17. Barkley (HG)
  18. Hazard
  19. Pedro
  20. Willian
  21. Morata
  22. Batshuayi (50/50, think he'll be off if Chelsea can sign another attacker)
  23. Giroud
Players that will probably be loaned out/sold who would need to be registered if they stayed:
  1. Zouma
  2. Kalas
  3. Hector (HG)
  4. Miazga
  5. Omeruo
  6. Aina (HG)
  7. Drinkwater (HG)
  8. Loftus-Cheek (HG, regular football)
  9. Musonda Jr (HG)
  10. Piazon (HG)
Injured:
  1. van Ginkel
I really do think the player numbers issue is why Chelsea haven't made more moves in the market.

Homegrown status is a big problem for Chelsea too. From the players I mentioned in the first list, Chelsea wouldn't be able to register any more unless they were homegrown too.

Makes sense for Chelsea to be linked with Pickford and Zaha. Would sort out their numbers for a bit but Green and Cahill won't be at Chelsea much longer so numbers will be an issue again unless the next set of Chelsea academy players push on like Ampadu, Hudson-Odoi and Christensen are doing.
Doesn't that pretty much mean Moses can't leave? Same goes for Cahill as well. Two players they would likely be wanting to move on from.

amolbhatia50k

To be honest Azpicuelta is literally one of the best right backs around and Zapacosta is decent cover. Also with Sarri's football they really don't need a prolific 9. Its more important that the 9 can bring others into play consistently and for me that is what Morata and Giroud are best at plus Batshuyayi in an attacking system like Sarri's can emerge a a proper force. Yet even if Morata left I think Abaram can more than step in with his potential. Other wise for me Chelsea merely under performed last season and with Jorginho signing on they are pretty much set to challenge big again.

Instead of signing for me they really need to get the like of Loftus-Cheek and Hudson -Odoi from the youth ranks better involved in first team football
Every team isn't the same. Sarri isn't going to wave a magic wand and suddenly triple everyone's goal outputs. They need a number 9 who is firing if they want to win or challenge for the premier league title. Had Hazard been truly prolific or somehow really steps it up next season, you could make a case for it. But unlike the WC no team is going to win the PL with just a hold up CF. Maybe Morata comes good next year but they have to get the striker situation sorted IMO.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

wow...Marina Granovskaia will be super busy in the next 6 days!!! I guess she can only bring in HG players as well like the one you mentioned.

meamth

I'm a bit confused here in this thread.

Didn't Azpilicueta converted into a CB for two seasons now? He's better at CB.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Do you actually think Roman / the board are aiming for the title? Imo, they know we can't catch city and aren't trying to. The aim is top 4, a trophy and a making a profit.

Morata definitely staying as our number one striker it seems:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...varo-morata-confirms-staying-chelsea-13029123

He needs to find a good nanny or two. Zola and the other players who've had young kids from abroad can help him too hopefully. Key for him is to be happy in London with his family. Needs a stable platform.

Then when he's settled and gets his football head on he can be a top player for us.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm not expecting a title challenge this season. We're going to drop an awful lot of points whilst the players try to adapt to a new style of play.

I'm OK with that provided there's clear improvement in our play.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not expecting a title challenge this season. We're going to drop an awful lot of points whilst the players try to adapt to a new style of play.

I'm OK with that provided there's clear improvement in our play.
Agree and looking forward to seeing us trying to dominate games. We have the players to do it against pretty much everyone. Interesting to see Napoli played City twice in the champions league last season. I think it's fair to say their approach was rather different to ours in the league. Especially when we played them at home and had zero shots on target..

Just looking at our squad per Damien's post, only just realised we're only allowed 25 players (+ U21 players, i.e those born after 1st Jan 96?) in the squad total, 17 from anywhere and 8 have to be homegrown or they can't be registered. That would seem to make it very likely we'll keep Drinkwater and RLC because we don't have any other better home grown players to put in our squad. Makes the move for Zaha make a lot more sense though as we would be able to register him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Batshuay has the right mentality, drive and hits it off with Sarri, goals from the striker won't be a problem

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Doesn't that pretty much mean Moses can't leave? Same goes for Cahill as well. Two players they would likely be wanting to move on from.
Yeah. Their squad is a mess.

I'm a bit confused here in this thread.

Didn't Azpilicueta converted into a CB for two seasons now? He's better at CB.
That was with a back three. With Sarri playing a back four I'm guessing he'll be moved back to full back with him being a better option than Moses and Zappacosta.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That was with a back three. With Sarri playing a back four I'm guessing he'll be moved back to full back with him being a better option than Moses and Zappacosta.
This is all but confirmed - that's where he's featured this preseason. In Sarri's setup, the right back tends to be more conservative anyway (Ghoulam always got forward much more than Hysaj), so this suits Azpi playing there.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Think Chelsea are favourites. They've been massively underestimated. Not saying the following will be their rigid A and B teams but if Sarri can get the likes of Bakayoko, Willian, Drinkwater and Morata performing at their best, and keep Azpilicueta, Kante and Hazard performing at the level we all know they can, they'll cause serious damage.

Courtois
Azpilicueta - Rudiger - Christensen - Alonso
Jorginho - Kante - Bakayoko
Willian - Giroud - Hazard

Caballero
Zappacosta - Cahill - Luiz - Emerson
Drinkwater - Fabregas
Moses - Barkley - Pedro
Morata

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Think Chelsea are favourites. They've been massively underestimated. Not saying the following will be their rigid A and B teams but if Sarri can get the likes of Bakayoko, Willian, Drinkwater and Morata performing at their best, and keep Azpilicueta, Kante and Hazard performing at the level we all know they can, they'll cause serious damage.
There's too many "ifs" about us to be anywhere near favourites.

Skybet has the odds like this:

Man City 4/6
Liverpool 4/1
Man United 8/1
Chelsea and Spurs both 14/1

And it Sarri gets Bakayoko playing like a league winning midfielder, he deserves a nobel prize and knighthood as well as a winners medal.