Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He seems to be getting at a lack of big characters in the dressing room. No Terry or Costa these days, Cech, Lampard, Drogba long gone. He probably has a point, not sure if making public a good idea.

Tactically if we want to keep 4 3 3 away from home and against decent top 6 opposition we need to change how we play it. Drop Sarri ball and Jorginho, play deeper with Kante at dm and play counter attacking football. Emery had us all figured out yesterday trying to play out from the back like Barcelona...

At home and away against bottom 14 play Sarri ball as we are now, we should also rotate Kante in the RM slot with one of the more attacking midfield options.

Hopefully we'll never see Hazard as false 9 again. Need a striker on the pitch and our midfield needs to get balls in behind to them.
But, here is the thing sort of like Neville said about Emery early in the year. You hire someone like Sarri for his style of play. If you wanted someone who can just grind out results Chelsea could have brought Rafa back. They hired Sarri for this style. And I think they have a better point total than City had in Pep's first season so I really do not think it has been as bad as people are making it out to be.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
But, here is the thing sort of like Neville said about Emery early in the year. You hire someone like Sarri for his style of play. If you wanted someone who can just grind out results Chelsea could have brought Rafa back. They hired Sarri for this style. And I think they have a better point total than City had in Pep's first season so I really do not think it has been as bad as people are making it out to be.
Pep also then spent another £200m+ transforming City so they can play like Barcelona. Unless we're giving Sarri that kind of money he'll have to adapt or get sacked.

Yes our position is as good as could reasonably be expected. It's our momentum that looks like trouble.

Vadim

‘Sarri ball’ is such a pretentious term. The style of football isn’t anything we haven’t seen other teams play before. Just call it what it is: possession football.

Boring, slow, possession football.

Hazard and Kante out of position.

It’s Van Gaal all over again.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm really struggling to think how much he could have improved on the current position having to play without a striker (unless you're referring to his current comments).
This having to play without a striker is bullshit. Both Morata and Giroud are better than Hazard in that false 9 role. It's not like he doesn't have a striker at the club. He's just refusing to play them. Giroud scored around a hundred goals for Arsenal ffs.

El Presidente

This having to play without a striker is bullshit. Both Morata and Giroud are better than Hazard in that false 9 role. It's not like he doesn't have a striker at the club. He's just refusing to play them. Giroud scored around a hundred goals for Arsenal ffs.
He was also the starting striker for the World Cup winning team. I’m not sure if Higuain at 31 is much better.

Adisa

‘Sarri ball’ is such a pretentious term. The style of football isn’t anything we haven’t seen other teams play before. Just call it what it is: possession football.

Boring, slow, possession football.

Hazard and Kante out of position.

It’s Van Gaal all over again.
It's positional play. A different kind of possession football. The positions on the pitch are roughly fixed, the team uses ball circulation to create space. I think it's incredibly difficult to implement.
Apart from having superior players, Pep has allowed for some positional movement from some forward players, something LVG failed to do and Sarri seems intent on doing as well. The lack of a focal point in a team that is positionally static will never work unless you have a team full of exceptional talent at beating players.

Adisa

He was also the starting striker for the World Cup winning team. I’m not sure if Higuain at 31 is much better.
This and this.
The idea Sarri has sold that a starting world cup winning striker is not worth playing when there are no other options is an insult to people's intelligence.
I can't believe people are buying it.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I understand what Sarri was trying to achieve with his press conference because it's right out of the Maureen playbook, but it won't end well for him. He's gone and questioned the mentality of one of the strongest (against managers) dressing rooms in the country and simultaneously sent a message to the board about wanting new players.

Chelsea will be at a real crossroads come the summer because I don't see Hazard wasting his prime there.

youmeletsfly

One thing that gets on my nerves when watching them is that you can see players following his instructions to the T on the field with no end product:
- all attacks that start from the back go through Jorginho as he's like some fecking guru master or something like that (while he;s good, he slows their play at times)
- it's either the above or Rudiger tries the long pass

It's the same as Maureen, the shackles are on and players obviously don't enjoy it. 2-3 poor results along the way and Abramovich might pull the trigger on him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
One thing that gets on my nerves when watching them is that you can see players following his instructions to the T on the field with no end product:
- all attacks that start from the back go through Jorginho as he's like some fecking guru master or something like that (while he;s good, he slows their play at times)
- it's either the above or Rudiger tries the long pass

It's the same as Maureen, the shackles are on and players obviously don't enjoy it. 2-3 poor results along the way and Abramovich might pull the trigger on him.
The big difference is lack of movement up front, Napoli had 5 players infront of Jorginho moving and causing havoc, out of our current front 5 three of them like the ball to feet and making things happen themselves.

That's why i think/hope Higuain will make a difference even if he's past his prime.

Fetshu

What is the point of Kovacic by the way?
Funny how how he was saying that he wouldn't want to come to ManUtd, because of the football that we were playing under Mourinho (not that he was wrong) and look at the situation now - Chelsea playing boring possesion oriented football, without much end-goal (no offense), while we are playing the free-flowing entertaining football.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think he needs to tweak the formation, which i hope he does with Higuain now. 4231 I'd like

Jorginho Kante

Pedro Kovacic Hazard

Higuain. If it doesnt work fair enough, but give it a shot

I know its a shite cliche, but i would like to see how we perform after Sarri gets a few windows to bring in his own players. Because his Napoli side were outstanding

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
By the way i dont care who you manage, you do not publicly question their mentality or ability. Do it in private, in training or in the dressing room. Not in a media conference, itll only end one way.

Kapardin

Funny how how he was saying that he wouldn't want to come to ManUtd, because of the football that we were playing under Mourinho (not that he was wrong) and look at the situation now - Chelsea playing boring possesion oriented football, without much end-goal (no offense), while we are playing the free-flowing entertaining football.

Oh, how the tables have turned.
I literally fall asleep when I watch them. They are god awful. Is it all due to the fact they don't have a proper striker or is it something else?

I never imagined Sarri to be LvG mk2, especially after the hullabaloo over his Napoli stint. Chelsea are actually more boring under him than they were when Jose or Conte managed them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What is the point of Kovacic by the way?
He's a great ball carrier and very good at beating the press but he lacks any other real exceptional qualities. He's a good player but I think with the recent Kante/Jorginho stuff he's slipped under the radar but he's been pretty disappointing so far.

Kag

Kovacic is shite. The sort of halfwit that halfwits on here usually suggest swapping Pogba for. Like that oaf at Lazio.

Chelsea’s biggest issue (the striker situation is just laughable) is the inability to score goals from midfield. Barkley doesn’t look like being the player he was once touted to be and Kante isn’t remotely good enough to play in the role he’s playing.

If you’re going to play with a three man midfield then you need at least one of those players to score goals. Chelsea don’t have that player.

Fetshu

I literally fall asleep when I watch them. They are god awful. Is it all due to the fact they don't have a proper striker or is it something else?

I never imagined Sarri to be LvG mk2, especially after the hullabaloo over his Napoli stint. Chelsea are actually more boring under him than they were when Jose or Conte managed them.
Haven't watched Chelsea that much, but the general consensus being that Sarri plays specific type of football (Sarri-ball :rolleyes:), which has one of the best CDM's (Kante) being played out of position and the squad he has, hasn't really adapted to that style.

If I'm not mistaken, caf was quite upset first, when we heard that Sarri is taking over at Chelsea, since supposedly he played this beautiful attacking football at Napoli. I might be mistaken, but yeah.

Who knows, might've worked with us, but for now, I'm glad how things turned out.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought Hazard was supposed to explode into form this season? Because of Sarri's attacking football?
He’s one of two players in Europe’s top five leagues to have double goals and assists in the league. Lionel Messi being the other.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

In fairness he's right I think. That is just not the kind of Person Hazard is.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

In fairness he's right I think. That is just not the kind of Person Hazard is.
He’s right but there is nothing to be gained from saying anything even slightly negative in public. We’ve seen it a million times.

haram

Hazard going to get Sarri sacked before moving to Real anyway? :lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think a balanced statement like that praising him for being a great player but an individual one is a problem.

It's nothing like how Mourinho digs players out, and singles them out being only negative.

Guess we'll have to see how Hazard performs tomorrow night. Just hoping Sarri has realised after us scoring 4 goals in 5 games we need to start with Giroud, no false 9! Maybe change our midfield up as well.

crossy1686

career ending
Just saw that Hazard thing. Sarri really is mental isn't he? He'll be gone by the end of the season after Chelsea miss out on the top 4. And to think that there was some clamour for him to manage us next!

ArjenIsM3

I think he was just being honest, which these days is a very stupid thing to do when it comes to stuff like this. Hope it gets him sacked and Chelsea appoint Mourinho again :lol:

el3mel

The guy is losing a plot. Someone needs to tell him Chelsea players have more trophies in their cabinet than his entire career. If there's one in the club that's not a winner, it's definitely the one who won feck all in his career.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Sarri is spot on.

Hazard has admitted himself many times that he does not give that much of a feck.

This won't have any impact on Hazard going to Madrid, if they want him, he'll go regardless of Sarri.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sarri is spot on.

Hazard has admitted himself many times that he does not give that much of a feck.

This won't have any impact on Hazard going to Madrid, if they want him, he'll go regardless of Sarri.
Not being arsed enough to want to pack a suitcase is what has kept him from going to Real before. Not being in CL for one (more) season won't change that.

RedDevil@84

It's nothing like how Mourinho digs players out, and singles them out being only negative.
To Mourinho's credit, he is a bit more subtle about it and his digs at the entire team are at least attempted to be masked.
Sarri not only is stubborn to play their best 2 players out of position, but then goes ahead and suggest individuals are to be blamed openly.

If Sarri and Mou were asked how to sink a boat, Mou would suggest drill bits and Sarri would suggest pickaxe.

To Mourinho's credit, he is a bit more subtle about it and his digs at the entire team are at least attempted to be masked.
Sarri not only is stubborn to play their best 2 players out of position, but then goes ahead and suggest individuals are to be blamed openly.

If Sarri and Mou were asked how to sink a boat, Mou would suggest drill bits and Sarri would suggest pickaxe.
Nah Jose is worse - whenever rashford or Martial had a bad game he would say this is why Lukaku always plays. His man management was the worse.

Mcking

I fear he might be on the decline, but on his day, he is a top striker and quite technically gifted. I expect him to combine well with Hazard and Pedro, but Chelsea really need some creativity from midfield and the fullbacks. Kovacic offers next to nothing in attack and usually seems reluctant to get into the final third.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
I was really impressed by Emerson, tonight. He was full of enthuisiasm and has the pace we need in that posistion, so i do hope Sarri gives him a run in the team now. Also, Barkley wasn't great, but he sure gave us more than Kovacic ever does!