Chelsea 2021/22 - World and European Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Going to be a heck of an ask to replace both Rudiger and Christensen in one window. Also Silva in his final year.

Getting rid of Tomori and Guhei possibly coming back to bite…

The new owners, whoever they may be, will need to open the chequebook this summer.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If it is Boehly’s group taking over, he has said that he wants to promote from the academy and supplement with the transfer market. It is an approach that has been very successful with the Dodgers. Bring in players from your system and go get a couple splashy buys.

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-prom...ackson-landon-knack-prospects/2021/08/02/amp/
In which case it's a massive gamble, one of which has only paid off with a manager (sir Alex) who had the ability to do it.
Chelsea relying on these youngsters (Gallagher, Colwill etc) will be struggling, especially if some more senior players leave other than Rudiger and Christensen.
They are good players, but as we've seen with Gallagher they start off well and struggle for form towards the latter stage of the loan,
Don't get me wrong it could go the other way, but history shows that this is a rarity.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Going to be a heck of an ask to replace both Rudiger and Christensen in one window. Also Silva in his final year.

Getting rid of Tomori and Guhei possibly coming back to bite…

The new owners, whoever they may be, will need to open the chequebook this summer.
Agreed - Rudiger has been our best player this season in my opinion and is up there with the best CBs in the world on current form. Christensen I'm a bit less concerned about - though Chalobah has been shaky as the year has gone on you'd hope he'd grow into that role going forward.

There have been rumblings that Chelsea have been lining up Kounde and De Ligt as replacements - in which case fair enough. Both are young and talented enough to be top drawer. Obviously though there are questions over the sanctions and potential new ownership.

In which case it's a massive gamble, one of which has only paid off with a manager (sir Alex) who had the ability to do it.
Chelsea relying on these youngsters (Gallagher, Colwill etc) will be struggling, especially if some more senior players leave other than Rudiger and Christensen.
They are good players, but as we've seen with Gallagher they start off well and struggle for form towards the latter stage of the loan,
Don't get me wrong it could go the other way, but history shows that this is a rarity.
I think that's a fair point - generally promoting a class of youngsters all at once doesn't typically work well (though Chelsea's transfer-banned year under Lampard stands out as an exception). That said, I think you are underestimating Chelsea's potential spending power under new ownership - whilst your point about matchday revenues being reduced is well taken, that's still a fairly small portion of Chelsea's normal income.

Also think the bolded is quite harsh on Gallagher. He's been excellent all season for Palace; would disagree that his level has dropped as the season has gone on.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So you've done it once before (certainly not the first time either), so what makes you think you won't do it again?

There's no guarantees that Gallagher and Colwill will be great players next season or ever, it's a massive risk, and one I'm sure the new owners wouldn't want to take, as I'm sure they'll want a return straight away.
Because hopefully they will have learnt their lesson and not repeat the same mistake?

Trust me, if they sell Gallagher and Colwill to fund a CB, as you suggest, the fanbase will riot :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed - Rudiger has been our best player this season in my opinion and is up there with the best CBs in the world on current form. Christensen I'm a bit less concerned about - though Chalobah has been shaky as the year has gone on you'd hope he'd grow into that role going forward.

There have been rumblings that Chelsea have been lining up Kounde and De Ligt as replacements - in which case fair enough. Both are young and talented enough to be top drawer. Obviously though there are questions over the sanctions and potential new ownership.

I think that's a fair point - generally promoting a class of youngsters all at once doesn't typically work well (though Chelsea's transfer-banned year under Lampard stands out as an exception). That said, I think you are underestimating Chelsea's potential spending power under new ownership - whilst your point about matchday revenues being reduced is well taken, that's still a fairly small portion of Chelsea's normal income.

Also think the bolded is quite harsh on Gallagher. He's been excellent all season for Palace; would disagree that his level has dropped as the season has gone on.
No-one is suggesting going all in on Gallagher, Colwill and just academy players, but their presence will certainly save us millions.

It won't be easy to navigate the upcoming months (year even) but the idea that we should sell our top prospects to fund one new player is just ...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No-one is suggesting going all in on Gallagher, Colwill and just academy players, but their presence will certainly save us millions.

It won't be easy to navigate the upcoming months (year even) but the idea that we should sell our top prospects to fund one new player is just ...
I certainly hope not! The benefit of a world class academy is it saves you from buying the likes of Drinkwater and Bakayoko - middle tier players on large wages who are no better than what's available. Ideally we should be using our academy to fill out our squad and consolidating our funds to spend on young world class talent.

TheReligion

Abusive

It will be an interesting summer at both our clubs mate. I think plenty of money needs to be spent. Essentially you need two first choice CBs and arguably a CF minimum? And that’s simply replacing people as opposed to building.

Obviously we will have our own rebuild to do.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It will be an interesting summer at both our clubs mate. I think plenty of money needs to be spent. Essentially you need two first choice CBs and arguably a CF minimum? And that’s simply replacing people as opposed to building.

Obviously we will have our own rebuild to do.
Not sure about the CF - potentially we'll have Broja back and for me I'm happy with Havertz as the first choice.

For me the focus has to be the midfield. Jorginho seems like he'll be going back to Italy and Kante isn't getting any younger. Whilst Gallagher is a nice addition, we still badly need a defensive midfielder - Tchouameni would be ideal.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The team will not be able to be sold again for 10 years.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
[/QUOTE]
I certainly hope not! The benefit of a world class academy is it saves you from buying the likes of Drinkwater and Bakayoko - middle tier players on large wages who are no better than what's available. Ideally we should be using our academy to fill out our squad and consolidating our funds to spend on young world class talent.
Yeah we definitely need to bring in some new players. Kounde looks like a guy we might go back to this summer, but he'd mostly be a Christensen replacement, and in my opinion Rudiger's replacement should be Colwill. I think he's ready. I'd also test Palace's resolve to see how much it would take to bring Guehi home, 50m + Sarr maybe? Guehi could be the heir to Silva. Both he and Colwill are superb passers of the ball.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah we definitely need to bring in some new players. Kounde looks like a guy we might go back to this summer, but he'd mostly be a Christensen replacement, and in my opinion Rudiger's replacement should be Colwill. I think he's ready. I'd also test Palace's resolve to see how much it would take to bring Guehi home, 50m + Sarr maybe? Guehi could be the heir to Silva. Both he and Colwill are superb passers of the ball.
Yeah we need someone else who can play in the centre to spell Silva next year - don't think that's Kounde or anyone else currently in the squad.

Agreed that selling Guehi was a mistake. Pity we couldn't negotiate a buy-back - but I agree that I'd rather push for him than someone like De Ligt, for instance.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah we need someone else who can play in the centre to spell Silva next year - don't think that's Kounde or anyone else currently in the squad.

Agreed that selling Guehi was a mistake. Pity we couldn't negotiate a buy-back - but I agree that I'd rather push for him than someone like De Ligt, for instance.
I appreciate I'm taking levels here but Trevoh did it in the youth set up (With James and Guehi either side of him as it happens).

At the want of finding a new player the role of Silva's understudy will probably go to him.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Raine are just dragging this out to max out their fees. It's so patently obvious.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I would be quite worried about the defense going forward. Silva is a freak but in your late 30s you're an ageless wonder until one day you aren't. Even a guy like Maldini, playing in a less physically demanding environment, eventually could only handle a part time role by his late 30s. Azpilicueta is more of a normal human and most normal humans are becoming a lot less reliable at 33. With Christensen and Rudiger gone, I don't really see anybody on the current roster that you could pencil in for 30+ league games at one of the CB spots next year and expect a high level of performance (unless James is playing RCB). Colwill looks like a massive talent but the number of CBs who have done that (playing most weeks and maintaining a relatively high level) in the PL for a big club at age 19 is close to zero.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I appreciate I'm taking levels here but Trevoh did it in the youth set up (With James and Guehi either side of him as it happens).

At the want of finding a new player the role of Silva's understudy will probably go to him.
I just don't think he's good enough on the ball frankly - we already lose a lot of tempo in our attacks when we rely on him to move it quickly.

I would be quite worried about the defense going forward. Silva is a freak but in your late 30s you're an ageless wonder until one day you aren't. Even a guy like Maldini, playing in a less physically demanding environment, eventually could only handle a part time role by his late 30s. Azpilicueta is more of a normal human and most normal humans are becoming a lot less reliable at 33. With Christensen and Rudiger gone, I don't really see anybody on the current roster that you could pencil in for 30+ league games at one of the CB spots next year and expect a high level of performance (unless James is playing RCB). Colwill looks like a massive talent but the number of CBs who have done that (playing most weeks and maintaining a relatively high level) in the PL for a big club at age 19 is close to zero.
Yeah fully agreed - it also remains to be seen whether we'll even have Azpilicueta. I know his one year extension has kicked in but if he pushes for the move to Barca I think we'd probably grant it.

We'll need at least two CBs in as well as a backup RWB at least - shedding much of our depth last summer looks increasingly short-sighted (especially as it was to fund Lukaku). Kounde seems likely to happen, and there have been increasing murmurings over Gvardiol - both potentially make sense as wide CBs but I'd also worry about a proper backup for Silva as you say.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's clear that we need to bring in at least one new CB, possibly two. No squad in the world can lose two quality players like Rudiger and Christensen and just carry on as normal and find new solutions within the squad. Colwill, if trusted, will slot in nicely in Rudiger's spot. We've been linked Gvardiol, who is slightly more experienced than Colwill but still only 20 years old himself. Hypothetically signing Gvardiol, Kounde and integrating Colwill to add to Silva, Chalobah and potentially Azpi/James. Not bad. We absolutely need to find cover for Silva though. I think Guehi could be that guy, but it might not be easy to bring him back so soon.

Anyway, all of this is moot really if the ownership situation doesn't get resolved soon.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
There are quite a few coming out with their support of Bohely.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We'll need at least two CBs in as well as a backup RWB at least - shedding much of our depth last summer looks increasingly short-sighted (especially as it was to fund Lukaku). Kounde seems likely to happen, and there have been increasing murmurings over Gvardiol - both potentially make sense as wide CBs but I'd also worry about a proper backup for Silva as you say.
What do you think about Pau Torres as the Silva replacement? He seems to have a less proactive style compared to Colwill and Gvardiol who both like to push up against opponents and be aggressive and proactive with their defending in the same way Rudiger is for us now. He looks to be well suited to be the middle defender in a back 3.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What do you think about Pau Torres as the Silva replacement? He seems to have a less proactive style compared to Colwill and Gvardiol who both like to push up against opponents and be aggressive and proactive with their defending in the same way Rudiger is for us now. He looks to be well suited to be the middle defender in a back 3.
I think that's probably his best role - I don't think he's a bad shout, but it might take some adjusting as he's usually in a pair. As you say though it should suit him given his passing ability and general preference to sweep and be reactive instead of on the front foot.

That said, I'd worry a bit about his physical profile - he's not the strongest player and a couple years ago was one of the worst CBs in Europe aerially (that said he was young and it was his first full season of top flight football; he's been solid there for the past couple years).

I definitely wouldn't use Gvardiol as a central CB - he and Kounde are both ideal for the wide CB roles given their aggression and comfort with playing as a fullback at times (Kounde on the right, Gvardiol on the left).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think that's probably his best role - I don't think he's a bad shout, but it might take some adjusting as he's usually in a pair. As you say though it should suit him given his passing ability and general preference to sweep and be reactive instead of on the front foot.

That said, I'd worry a bit about his physical profile - he's not the strongest player and a couple years ago was one of the worst CBs in Europe aerially (that said he was young and it was his first full season of top flight football; he's been solid there for the past couple years).

I definitely wouldn't use Gvardiol as a central CB - he and Kounde are both ideal for the wide CB roles given their aggression and comfort with playing as a fullback at times (Kounde on the right, Gvardiol on the left).
It's going to be hard to find a perfect fit because most teams don't play 3atb, so unless we find one of those teams that do and parachute their central CB into our team, we'll probably have to look for profile/stylistic matches and the right characteristics to find the guy we want.

I think Kounde should be a lock for RCB, if we can ever get this ownership situation resolved. Gvardiol is such an interesting prospect. He almost looks like a carbon copy of Colwill, except he has way more experience at the top level, but if the chance to sign him is there, he's too good to pass on.

Hypothetical back 5;

Mendy GK
James RWB
Kounde RCB
Silva/Torres central CB
Colwill/Gvardiol LCB
Chilwell LWB

Backups; Chalobah, Alonso, Azpi (if he's still around) and one of Silva/Torres and Colwill/Gvardiol.

Problem is signing Gvardiol, Torres and Kounde would cost close to 150m and unfortunately the backline isn't the only area that needs to be reinforced and we don't even know what sort of budget we have with the incoming owners.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's going to be hard to find a perfect fit because most teams don't play 3atb, so unless we find one of those teams that do and parachute their central CB into our team, we'll probably have to look for profile/stylistic matches and the right characteristics to find the guy we want.

I think Kounde should be a lock for RCB, if we can ever get this ownership situation resolved. Gvardiol is such an interesting prospect. He almost looks like a carbon copy of Colwill, except he has way more experience at the top level, but if the chance to sign him is there, he's too good to pass on.

Hypothetical back 5;

Mendy GK
James RWB
Kounde RCB
Silva/Torres central CB
Colwill/Gvardiol LCB
Chilwell LWB

Backups; Chalobah, Alonso, Azpi (if he's still around) and one of Silva/Torres and Colwill/Gvardiol.

Problem is signing Gvardiol, Torres and Kounde would cost close to 150m and unfortunately the backline isn't the only area that needs to be reinforced and we don't even know what sort of budget we have with the incoming owners.
Yeah it'll definitely be a sell-to-buy operation most likely. I've been saying it (somewhat) in jest but honestly a Lukaku for Joao Felix swap seems to suit all parties (though probably we'd have to throw in some fee).

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Any new owner is going to want to make a mark so i suspect a heft transfer pot for Tuchel, with some additional sell to buy.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
whats that account like now, he used to be an absolute whinge bag when a youth player got sold and stropped like a big girl. The day he blocked numerous people because they kept proving him wrong, and they were clearly right, and he didnt like their opinon was enough for me so i unfollowed the guy.

Never forget him telling everyone Charlie Colkett and Fankaty Dabo were going to be the next best thing out of our academy and were easily good enough to play in the first team, one plays for Coventry, one Cheltenham.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
whats that account like now, he used to be an absolute whinge bag when a youth player got sold and stropped like a big girl. The day he blocked numerous people because they kept proving him wrong, and they were clearly right, and he didnt like their opinon was enough for me so i unfollowed the guy.

Never forget him telling everyone Charlie Colkett and Fankaty Dabo were going to be the next best thing out of our academy and were easily good enough to play in the first team, one plays for Coventry, one Cheltenham.
He's okay. He's very 'play the youf'-ish, of course given the nature of his account and he does sometimes go overboard with that stuff, as if having 5 academy players in regular rotation, some of them undisputed starters isn't enough, but I like that he goes hard for the academy. It's a necessary extreme to balance out the other extreme of 'buy x, y, z' every summer. The rest of us can just happily chill in the middle and advocate for both sides in equal measure.

I really did have high hopes for Charlie Colkett though. I thought he was going to be elite :lol:

tomaldinho1

I watched the Talksport vid today with an update on the sale. Trevor Sinclair didn’t contribute anything other than asking why Abramovich wouldn’t just get paid via a third party, classic City DNA.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't think they'll be in good shape for the FA cup final with all the background noise.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He's okay. He's very 'play the youf'-ish, of course given the nature of his account and he does sometimes go overboard with that stuff, as if having 5 academy players in regular rotation, some of them undisputed starters isn't enough, but I like that he goes hard for the academy. It's a necessary extreme to balance out the other extreme of 'buy x, y, z' every summer. The rest of us can just happily chill in the middle and advocate for both sides in equal measure.

I really did have high hopes for Charlie Colkett though. I thought he was going to be elite :lol:
Fair enough, i think it was last summer he got right arsey with fellow supporters when they simply said "maybe Livramento/Bate/etc chose to leave, and actually wanted to go" by blocking them all. He was getting a lot of stick for not accepting that some yoof just want to play for another team, or that some wont make it here

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough, i think it was last summer he got right arsey with fellow supporters when they simply said "maybe Livramento/Bate/etc chose to leave, and actually wanted to go" by blocking them all. He was getting a lot of stick for not accepting that some yoof just want to play for another team, or that some wont make it here
Yeah last summer was a tough summer for him :lol:

In fairness to him, he does travel around following the youth teams and I can see why he would grow attached to them more than the regular fan who just watches a youth game here and there and then just jumps on whatever hype train that's got the most traction.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I watched the Talksport vid today with an update on the sale. Trevor Sinclair didn’t contribute anything other than asking why Abramovich wouldn’t just get paid via a third party, classic City DNA.
:lol:

When did he start going this hard for City? He never used to claim them like that in the past.

Don't think they'll be in good shape for the FA cup final with all the background noise.
I don't mind having others make that excuse for us in the event that we lose the final.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
"Windfall" for the average bloke sure but for a football club it's nothing massive - it's an extra €10m for us if they win. We got €100m upfront, plus €5m for each season they qualified for the CL during his first 3 years, plus €10m for each league and CL trophy they win up to a maximum of 3. As of their recent league win we're sitting on €135m from them; if they win the CL that goes to €145m and it exhausts all the bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.