Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Feel a bit for Badiashile but with the cost of Enzo and Mudryk as well as Felix's loan fee, they were always going to be the three in. Guess Fofana must be back soon?
Yeah all but guaranteed he was the last one out. Feel for him as well because he's been excellent so far. Koulibaly has generally been a bit better in the CL this year so perhaps that's what we're banking on - and as you say Fofana is reportedly close to returning.

Think this also is indicative that we might be looking to trigger Felix's clause this summer - have to think there is at least some element of long-term planning involved here.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Think this also is indicative that we might be looking to trigger Felix's clause this summer - have to think there is at least some element of long-term planning involved here.
His release clause is 350m€. Not even Chelsea are triggering that. ;)

Shinjch

Yeah all but guaranteed he was the last one out. Feel for him as well because he's been excellent so far. Koulibaly has generally been a bit better in the CL this year so perhaps that's what we're banking on - and as you say Fofana is reportedly close to returning.

Do you know if Benfica have any sort of sell on-clause involved with Felix after his move to Atletico? I know they already got a massive fee for him, but wouldn't put it past them inserting a sell-on clause too.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
His release clause is 350m€. Not even Chelsea are triggering that. ;)
Fabrizio tweeted that Felix has a clause in his contract that he can trigger to leave. He also tweeted that AM would be interested in a deal at the end of the season. Who knows where it will all go and what price they would ask, but it is a possibility.

Amazing Santos

Loll long term planning. Even the Chelsea manager will be out the door by the summer if not earlier.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This is absolutely fair. At times it just feels that some Chelsea supporters (not all Chelsea supporters here), are telling us how everything that is being done makes total sense and we just can't see it. Such full throated support of the moves being made just seems a bit naïve at times from where a lot of United supporters are sitting, I think.
I can't lie, I have absolutely no idea what the future holds. I'm reading all kinds of things ab
Official - Enzo, Mudryk, and Felix have been added to the CL squad for Chelsea. Aubameyang has been removed even though Pulisic isn't even fit :lol:

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/52914--chelsea/squad/

Think this makes a lot of sense since Aubameyang is more or less a corpse at this point - but then surely Potter shouldn't be bringing him on to more or less ruin our attack against Liverpool? Personally I'm hoping he doesn't get another minute for the rest of the year.
You might get your wish my friend

kaiz

If some of Chelsea’s recent long-term acquisitions do not work out at Stamford Bridge, the hope is that lower base salaries will make them easier to sell on.
Would you please explain this to me? I think the players don't care what their base salaries are. If their total earnings are a lot less at the new club, I don't think they will move.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Would you please explain this to me? I think the players don't care what their base salaries are. If their total earnings are a lot less at the new club, I don't think they will move.
Definitely. I just meant it is a lot easier to move a player on 95K per week than one on 200K per week and it seems like the last couple years before the club was sold Chelsea was handing out 200K per week or more to every renewal or player bought.

Supports
Chelsea
Well look at Ziyech for example. He's been wanting to leave for a good couple of years now despite being on a nice contract. Wanted to go to Ajax in the summer, agreed to go to Roma on a permanent and now PSG. Most players who are not enjoying it at the club would want to leave, regardless of the length of their contract, and lower wages will tempt more clubs in.

Even Werner who was on a monster contract could've easily stayed to collect his money, but he was unhappy and wanted to leave, and took a paycut to do so.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That's not the clause I'm referring to - there is a buy option in the loan deal for Chelsea that I would wager is lower than €350m.
OK, haven't read that anywhere. But obviously Atletico would be happy to sell for the right money.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Do you know if Benfica have any sort of sell on-clause involved with Felix after his move to Atletico? I know they already got a massive fee for him, but wouldn't put it past them inserting a sell-on clause too.
I am more or less positive that they do not. The negotiation over Felix was mostly a case of Atleti having the Griezmann money from Barca to burn and I believe Benfica needed a liquidity injection - so I'm almost certain there's no sell-on clause.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Mudryk is very raw isn’t he

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Can't really see where the goals are coming from. Don't know what it says worse of that Aubameyang is really the only natural striker in Chelsea's squad and he's been excluded from the CL. Relying on Havertz to finish chances isn't good.

Andre Kagawa

Will there be no consequences to Chelsea buying everyone and their mothers? Will they be skint in the summer?

Dazzmondo

Mudryk has been poor after all the people creaming themselves over him in his 1st game (where he wasn't spectacular either despite people trying to claim otherwise). Enzo has looked good but not really a surprise. Obviously an excellent player, regardless of whether he'll ever pay back that fee.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Will there be no consequences to Chelsea buying everyone and their mothers? Will they be skint in the summer?
Potter says the spending won't be as huge in the summer but despite the money having been spent there's still a million holes in the Chelsea squad so of course they'll be a lot more money spent

mshnsh

I am very sure Potter won't survive. Best case scenario is he is given till end of season.
The problem with Chelsea recruitment is there seems to be a lack of strategy. Totally scattergun.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think Spurs makes more than Chelsea from sponsorships like shirt sponsor, sleeve sponsor, etc. They make more because of the new stadium, which is a driver of both matchday (ticket sales, food, etc) and commercial (advertising within the stadium, merchandise sales at the stadium store, plus other activities like concerts, etc).
Match day incomes weren't included in those commercial revenue numbers I posted so ticket sales etc. are another thing entirely. The other stadium-related stuff probably are somewhere in there so you may have a point there, but then again Spurs commercial incomes were already on a much steeper rise compared to ours even before they even finished the new stadium so it definitely doesn't explain it all.

I think you're right that our shirt and sleeve sponsors as well as the kit manufacturer deal are valued higher than Spurs have but it's also very likely that they have a lot of other commercial deals that bring them some extra income whereas we don't. I'm talking about the 'official noodle partner' -type of sponsorship deals, that for example Man Utd have plenty of.

mshnsh

Well, I’m fairness, Clearlake’s statement about the Premieire League and the sport in general said there SHOULD be that much money in the game …. things are just a wee few decades behind other sports in terms of monetization.

United will have new owners soon, and I’m sure there will be big money coming in to transform a few other clubs fairly soon.

Again, you guys see this as huge money, but compared to what they have to spend on baseball, as an example, it’s almost dirt cheap.

Yes - also the biggest difference is that baseball teams can negotiate broadcasting deals individually with local markets on top of the shared pool for nationally broadcasted games, which is by far the biggest source of income for smart teams in large markets.

The Dodgers for instance signed a 25 year, $8.35 billion deal that covers the 2013-2038 seasons. Chelsea obviously don't have that option as broadcasting rights are negotiated collectively.
The truth is that America is a country where everything is only about money. Sports aren't an exception.

AFC NimbleThumb

Definitely. I just meant it is a lot easier to move a player on 95K per week than one on 200K per week and it seems like the last couple years before the club was sold Chelsea was handing out 200K per week or more to every renewal or player bought.
Selling a player on £100k a week with 6 years left on a contract is easier than selling a player on £200k with 3 years left on their contract how exactly?

Also are people honestly buying that a player like Mudryk took a weekly paycut to the total of half what he could get so he could sign for 8 years? If you do I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Nick.

All that money and they still can't beat Fulham. Potter is awful

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Potter has been in long enough to start seeing an impact on the pitch. It doesn’t take that long. We’ve seen it with Ten Hag. Liverpool saw it with Klopp. City with Pep. Arteta probably the outlier in this regard but my instinct tells me he’s a flop and long may he stay there.

Another thing that I think is always overlooked in these situations is English managers language barrier with a lot of players that managers from elsewhere can navigate much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.