Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Anyway, yeh Sterling has underperformed, but he is still the better of the 2, IMO of course
Well yes Sterling should be better. He’s 28 in a few weeks and in his peak years.

Think it’s fair to say he’s underwhelmed since the move though and hasn’t looked as bright as he did the opening game or so.

In terms of Sancho as I say he’s still young and working with a top coach and staff should really help him now. I’ll re asses him at the end of the season but technically he’s very good and his patchy form seems to be a mentality issue.

I think all the United forwards will benefit when we get a settled front three so I’m not particularly concerned.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Well yes Sterling should be better. He’s 28 in a few weeks and in his peak years.

Think it’s fair to say he’s underwhelmed since the move though and hasn’t looked as bright as he did the opening game or so.

In terms of Sancho as I say he’s still young and working with a top coach and staff should really help him now. I’ll re asses him at the end of the season but technically he’s very good and his patchy form seems to be a mentality issue.

I think all the United forwards will benefit when we get a settled front three so I’m not particularly concerned.
He has underwhelmed lately but Im hoping he just needs better quality around him like at City. Our squad is becoming stale and needs tearing up over next 2-3 windows.

Havertz for one is the biggest disappointment for me right now

GlasgowCeltic

Auba Sterling Mount as a front three is a failure from the club, Nkunku won’t change much either

TheReligion

Abusive
He has underwhelmed lately but Im hoping he just needs better quality around him like at City. Our squad is becoming stale and needs tearing up over next 2-3 windows.

Havertz for one is the biggest disappointment for me right now
Its a little worrying you feel the squad is stale given what you’ve spent as recently as this summer?

I think Havertz is a good player but he just doesn’t have a clearly defined role in your set up and doesn’t fit.

Chelsea have bought some good players recent windows but there doesn’t seem to have been the planning and underlying philosophy as you’ve had previously. Reminds me very much of what United have done in the past.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Its a little worrying you feel the squad is stale given what you’ve spent as recently as this summer?

I think Havertz is a good player but he just doesn’t have a clearly defined role in your set up and doesn’t fit.

Chelsea have bought some good players recent windows but there doesn’t seem to have been the planning and underlying philosophy as you’ve had previously. Reminds me very much of what United have done in the past.
Well i think the coming windows are going to follow the same pattern with spending, just hopefully not so scattergun. Havertz just seems to always turn into trouble and seriously needs toughening up. He's technically gifted, but I wonder if maybe the prem is a little too quick paced for him. He has to play behind the striker i think, he is wasteful out wide. gives the ball away too much, too.

re. stale i think maybe Kante will/should go this summer coming, Jorginho, Azpi to name 3.

Reactions: oates

TheReligion

Abusive
Well i think the coming windows are going to follow the same pattern with spending, just hopefully not so scattergun. Havertz just seems to always turn into trouble and seriously needs toughening up. He's technically gifted, but I wonder if maybe the prem is a little too quick paced for him. He has to play behind the striker i think, he is wasteful out wide. gives the ball away too much, too.

re. stale i think maybe Kante will/should go this summer coming, Jorginho, Azpi to name 3.
It’s quite a big ask changing the whole midfield in one window I feel but yeah you do need something in that area. Kovacic should be a permanent feature from what I’ve seen.

Difficult area to get right as we’ve found out over the years. Casemiro and Eriksen both would have been good transfers for you in hindsight.

RE Havertz he reminds me of Kaka in terms of a difficult fit

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
It’s quite a big ask changing the whole midfield in one window I feel but yeah you do need something in that area. Kovacic should be a permanent feature from what I’ve seen.
He would be if he wasn't so injury prone. He's been having problems with his knee all season and that's why he's been on the bench more often than not.

Article from August:
https://www.si.com/soccer/chelsea/n...against-tottenham-hotspur-absence-of-croatian

Another one from last night:
https://www.si.com/soccer/chelsea/n...ls-mateo-kovacic-has-been-playing-with-injury

The problem doesn't seem to fully prevent him from playing or training but looks like the work load has to be very carefully managed so it doesn't get any worse. I'm guessing the thinking is that with Kante out long-term too, we simply can't afford to lose Kovacic for an extended period as well but he's only really used when absolutely necessary.

Just need to survive the next couple of weeks and then hope his knee stays intact during the World Cup as well.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think, to an extent, the non Chelsea fans are missing our point on the discussion. We JUST need to get top 4 to keep the plan in motion. And there is a misconception about how deep in a rebuild we are.

Kante was a completely unique player. Our midfield pieces were set up to compliment a player that can’t be duplicated, and right now none of the combinations truly work together, especially with Kova at maybe 70 percent still with his muscle issue.

Azpi started and wasn’t even supposed to be on the roster this year. We were missing both Koulibaliy (who was settling in really well of late) and Fofana, and Thiago is 38 years old. Tuchel couldn’t pull off that line up with Thiago and Azpi and Jorgihno in a grouping without conceding tons of goals.

Then there is the fact that we knowingly weren’t going to fully address the overhaul of attack until Winter or next year.

That’s a lot is issues you say? Why, yes it is. We were also missing Gallagher and James yesterday. That Chelsea side wasn’t very good… on paper. United is convinced they are one or two players plus Martial back from having THE team to compete, and you drew against a Chelsea squad that was patchwork at best, mostly due to a talented manager still figuring out his team.

Its the kind of view that is promising for Chelsea fans. Because we know we are buying Gvardiol, Nkunku, at least one prime midfield target, one of the RB covers they are looking at, and a primary attacker (be it Leao, Toney, or David who Potterreally likes) to compete with Broja.

In addition we will own the first of our satellite clubs by the start of next year. I expect them to have a South American team, a Portuguese side, a European team, and possibly an MLS side all under the same banner, giving them the type of integrated farm system the top clubs are building. Prior to Clearlake we didn’t even play the same formations and style in our under 23 squad that we did in the first team. Guys like Harvey Vale would come through and then have no role, even if he was good enough. Now we will have a style and philosophy consistent not just over age groups, but over each age group in multiple teams, in multiple countries.

There is a massive project I still dont think people understand the scope of on the Horizon.

“You really think they are going to spend Billions more on that?”

Yes, yes I do. There was always a plan in place when they sought to buy Chelsea. Unlike the Glazers (who helm the Losingest NFL franchise of all time, and are essentially 6 squabbling children with no direction), Clearlake is clearly acknowledged as one of the best ownership groups in sport. The people they are putting in place are acknowledged, by people outside Chelsea circles , to be excellent at the respective jobs they are being hired to perform.

If injuries clear up, and the Winter window goes well, Chelsea will look different by Jan. They will look even more different by next year. In two or three years they will bear almost no resemblance to the talented but scattershot teams of the Roman era.

MalaysianRed7

You undermine your own ludicrous allegation by using an offensive racist term. The irony in referring to a black person as someone ‘coloured’ before stupidly labelling a fanbase as racist.

This is possibly the worst post I’ve read on this forum. Well done.
I have done my research on the term before, and in my opinion, it was the best one as a general blanket term such is the racist history of many Chelsea match going fans (again, not all). To call it racist and offensive is a horrific over-exaggeration. Also, well done for conveniently ignoring my point. I repeat, Varane would not have been booed if he was white. There is not many other reasons for the majority of the stadium to react like that, when the reality and gravity of the injury had become apparent.

The cheek to call my post the worst you’ve ever seen :lol:

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I have done my research on the term before, and in my opinion, it was the best one as a general blanket term such is the racist history of many Chelsea match going fans (again, not all). To call it racist and offensive is a horrific over-exaggeration. Also, well done for conveniently ignoring my point. I repeat, Varane would not have been booed if he was white. There is not many other reasons for the majority of the stadium to react like that, when the reality and gravity of the injury had become apparent.

Well if your original post wasn’t the worse congratulations your latest is certainly challenging for it.

There is absolutely no evidence, save in your mind, to suggest the booing was anything to do with Varanes skin colour as I pointed out the reaction was to how he dismissed the StJohn volunteers

TheReligion

Abusive
I think, to an extent, the non Chelsea fans are missing our point on the discussion. We JUST need to get top 4 to keep the plan in motion. And there is a misconception about how deep in a rebuild we are.

Kante was a completely unique player. Our midfield pieces were set up to compliment a player that can’t be duplicated, and right now none of the combinations truly work together, especially with Kova at maybe 70 percent still with his muscle issue.

Azpi started and wasn’t even supposed to be on the roster this year. We were missing both Koulibaliy (who was settling in really well of late) and Fofana, and Thiago is 38 years old. Tuchel couldn’t pull off that line up with Thiago and Azpi and Jorgihno in a grouping without conceding tons of goals.

Then there is the fact that we knowingly weren’t going to fully address the overhaul of attack until Winter or next year.

That’s a lot is issues you say? Why, yes it is. We were also missing Gallagher and James yesterday. That Chelsea side wasn’t very good… on paper. United is convinced they are one or two players plus Martial back from having THE team to compete, and you drew against a Chelsea squad that was patchwork at best, mostly due to a talented manager still figuring out his team.

Its the kind of view that is promising for Chelsea fans. Because we know we are buying Gvardiol, Nkunku, at least one prime midfield target, one of the RB covers they are looking at, and a primary attacker (be it Leao, Toney, or David who Potterreally likes) to compete with Broja.

In addition we will own the first of our satellite clubs by the start of next year. I expect them to have a South American team, a Portuguese side, a European team, and possibly an MLS side all under the same banner, giving them the type of integrated farm system the top clubs are building. Prior to Clearlake we didn’t even play the same formations and style in our under 23 squad that we did in the first team. Guys like Harvey Vale would come through and then have no role, even if he was good enough. Now we will have a style and philosophy consistent not just over age groups, but over each age group in multiple teams, in multiple countries.

There is a massive project I still dont think people understand the scope of on the Horizon.

Yes, yes I do. There was always a plan in place when they sought to buy Chelsea. Unlike the Glazers (who helm the Losingest NFL franchise of all time, and are essentially 6 squabbling children with no direction), Clearlake is clearly acknowledged as one of the best ownership groups in sport. The people they are putting in place are acknowledged, by people outside Chelsea circles , to be excellent at the respective jobs they are being hired to perform.

If injuries clear up, and the Winter window goes well, Chelsea will look different by Jan. They will look even more different by next year. In two or three years they will bear almost no resemblance to the talented but scattershot teams of the Roman era.
You love Clearlake man :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Yes, yes I do.
The furious reactions by opposition fans on social media, forums etc if that actually happens will be a joy to behold.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

With all due respect mate, I think you need to step away from your phone and take breather. You’re having a tantrum in here, throwing made up accusations around, because there’s been reports about United fans chanting homophobic chants. Think about what you’re saying.

Last edited:

GlasgowCeltic

this is super cringe

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I’m going to say it right here. These are Chelsea match going fans. If Varane was not coloured, there is no way he gets booed and abused for the heinous crime of getting injured. We all know this, but no one wants to say it. Homophobia is awful, and so is racism. Respect is the way to go.

Not all Chelsea match going fans of course, but a lot. More so than EVERY other Premier League club.

Loved getting the last minute equaliser last night. That was for Varane.
You seem to mean well despite the blanket labeling of Chelsea fans as racist. If you don't mean to offend then don't use this term. It has really awful historical connotations. One of which is the association of the term with segregationist USA and the Jim Crow laws.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

You really don't know that. You can't see them doing that to Keane? I can.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

It's a very optimistic and romantic view of looking at the satellite clubs.
I don't see the conveyer belt of talent coming through at City and becoming first team regulars just because of their satellite clubs.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
You love Clearlake man :lol:
Uhh yes, I do. They are exemplary. The moment I found out they were interested in Chelsea I was like “Holy #%%t! YES”

They aren’t just famous for being great sports executives, they have a strong reputation of taking excellent care of everyone in their organizations, down to the people collecting tickets on gamedays.

I’m a tad biased because I wrestled in the same conference as Landon. Todd was a year ahead of me, but he seemed like a good guy. I have closer friends that know him and think the world of him though.

But Boehly is just a part of a much larger project.

The Glazers are “worth” billions on paper, but they don’t have billions cash on hand to spend. Clearlake is pure liquid venture capital billions, with creative accounting, and a plan for a twenty year growth investment creation, not just marginally turning around the fortunes of a football team.

So yes, I’m super excited.

RedC

Uhh yes, I do. They are exemplary. The moment I found out they were interested in Chelsea I was like “Holy #%%t! YES”

They aren’t just famous for being great sports executives, they have a strong reputation of taking excellent care of everyone in their organizations, down to the people collecting tickets on gamedays.

I’m a tad biased because I wrestled in the same conference as Landon. Todd was a year ahead of me, but he seemed like a good guy. I have closer friends that know him and think the world of him though.

But Boehly is just a part of a much larger project.

The Glazers are “worth” billions on paper, but they don’t have billions cash on hand to spend. Clearlake is pure liquid venture capital billions, with creative accounting, and a plan for a twenty year growth investment creation, not just marginally turning around the fortunes of a football team.

So yes, I’m super excited.
America, feck yeah!

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
It's a very optimistic and romantic view of looking at the satellite clubs.
I don't see the conveyer belt of talent coming through at City and becoming first team regulars just because of their satellite clubs.
You don’t YET. But think of the long term, especially under conditions like Brexit. Think of the bidding war that will soon happen over players like Endrick, and then all the complication headaches working out their visas, work permits etc.

What if you simply owned a team in Brazil that had resources and access to buy players like that at a younger age, so that you already “had” them? Then you arranged to “sell” them at 17 or 18 to your Portuguese club to help them acclimate and further develop, all while playing the style and philosophy of of the “Parent” club?

Of the many players you do stuff.like this with, say 3 or 4 go on to be excellent first team stars for the main club? Maybe the rest cap out as stars at your Netherlands or French team (examples) .

Then you have the loan system for your own Academy. Instead of sending them to Bayer and hoping things go well, why not send them to a similar level team that you control the style of play they practice, how many minutes they get… essentially everything.

Then, thirdly, it will allow for even further leeway on FFP. It is, in every way, a superior system, and teams like City have already been proving that, and it’s not even fully stable shed yet. This is the type of thing it will take at least a decade or so to see full impact start to take shape.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
You know what kind of people attempt to dismiss the behavior of bigoted homophobes by introducing a counter bogey man that doesn't exist? Bigoted homophobes do. It is always nice when they out themselves.

TheReligion

Abusive
You know what kind of people attempt to dismiss the behavior of bigoted homophobes by introducing a counter bogey man that doesn't exist? Bigoted homophobes do. It is always nice when they out themselves.
Who are you referring to here? I’d hope not Ten Hag

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Who are you referring to here? I’d hope not Ten Hag
The person in this thread who said Chelsea fans boo'd Varane because he was (to use his charming phrase) "Coloured".

The nonsensical whataboutism seems to have worked a treat though, nobody seems to give a shit about the homophobic chants.

TheReligion

Abusive
The person in this thread who said Chelsea fans boo'd Varane because he was (to use his charming phrase) "Coloured".

The nonsensical whataboutism seems to have worked a treat though, nobody seems to give a shit about the homophobic chants.
Ahh right yes. I mean I don’t think he was booed because he was black but it’s undeniable that Chelsea FC and racism have an unsavoury relationship so that could be why he’s jumped to that conclusion.

From the extreme right wing ‘Headhunters’ to the clubs protection of John Terry after he racially abused Anton Ferdinand, the incident in Paris on the metro to the racial abuse of Son in a game earlier this season. The club is doing its best to weed out but sadly it continues to rear its head.

Of course one doesn’t excuse the other and it’s extremely sad these things still take place in the game in 2022.

Still more work to be done in terms of education in particular around the ‘Rent Boys’ chant as I’d wager many of those singing it wouldn’t have a clue as to its real meaning or why it is homophobic and offensive to the wider community.

As with anything like this though ignorance is no excuse.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Since Roman spending money has been your MO so I don’t think it will attract that much attention?
Probably not, but Roman thought small compared to the real players. And those players are continuing to get ignored for some reason.

People look at such and such money for such and such player, and that’s all they tend to pay attention to. And they think that’s “real” money.

Redbird, the “Clearlake equivalent” that owns Liverpool, also now owns AC Milan and Toulouse, and are looking for their own Portuguese and South American Sides to complete their “system”.

THAT is real money.

This is the future of globally connected world football.

TheReligion

Abusive
@pascell and I were wondering what the devil is going on with summer signing Zakaria?

We were discussing awful summer deals and his name popped up alongside Arthur at Liverpool who is now injured long term.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Came in on loan as cover. We then got a new manager who prefers RLC and Gallagher.
Yeah it was around the end of the transfer window when there was talk Kovacic might need a surgery to his knee so I think the Zakaria loan made some sense as an emergency option. If everything works out reasonably well and he ends up being not needed the signing will probably be seen as a waste of money, but then again if no cover was signed and we ended up having a few simultaneous injuries in midfield the very same people would then be questioning how stupid it was to go into a season with so many known injury prone midfielders. However it plays out there will always be people who like to have a dig. :lol:

That said, in addition to RLC and Gallagher it seems Potter also fancies Chukwuemeka ahead of Zakaria seeing as latter is yet to make his debut and the youngster has already come on a few times so unless something dramatic happens between now and the January window then maybe it's best to cut the loan short and give whatever minutes is left to Carney?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah it was around the end of the transfer window when there was talk Kovacic might need a surgery to his knee so I think the Zakaria loan made some sense as an emergency option. If everything works out reasonably well and he ends up being not needed the signing will probably be seen as a waste of money, but then again if no cover was signed and we ended up having a few simultaneous injuries in midfield the very same people would then be questioning how stupid it was to go into a season with so many known injury prone midfielders. However it plays out there will always be people who like to have a dig. :lol:

That said, in addition to RLC and Gallagher it seems Potter also fancies Chukwuemeka ahead of Zakaria seeing as latter is yet to make his debut and the youngster has already come on a few times so unless something dramatic happens between now and the January window then maybe it's best to cut the loan short and give whatever minutes is left to Carney?
Usual lot haha

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Ahh right yes. I mean I don’t think he was booed because he was black but it’s undeniable that Chelsea FC and racism have an unsavoury relationship so that could be why he’s jumped to that conclusion.

From the extreme right wing ‘Headhunters’ to the clubs protection of John Terry after he racially abused Anton Ferdinand, the incident in Paris on the metro to the racial abuse of Son in a game earlier this season. The club is doing its best to weed out but sadly it continues to rear its head.

Of course one doesn’t excuse the other and it’s extremely sad these things still take place in the game in 2022.

Still more work to be done in terms of education in particular around the ‘Rent Boys’ chant as I’d wager many of those singing it wouldn’t have a clue as to its real meaning or why it is homophobic and offensive to the wider community.

As with anything like this though ignorance is no excuse.
It would be churlish to deny that Chelsea’s supporters have a terrible historical link with racism but what surprises me is the almost ignorance amongst other clubs , and yes I most definitely do include Man Utd supporters in that, when it comes to the problems their own clubs have

First how about this

https://news.sky.com/story/more-man...-football-racism-than-any-other-club-11743651

Interesting you mention Son so how about this.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-wrongly-banned-racist-25087830

Of course the vast majority of Utd supporters aren’t racist nor are the vast majority of Chelsea or indeed other clubs supporters but the guilt by association thing is just ignorant

TheReligion

Abusive
It would be churlish to deny that Chelsea’s supporters have a terrible historical link with racism but what surprises me is the almost ignorance amongst other clubs , and yes I most definitely do include Man Utd supporters in that, when it comes to the problems their own clubs have

First how about this

https://news.sky.com/story/more-man...-football-racism-than-any-other-club-11743651

Interesting you mention Son so how about this.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-wrongly-banned-racist-25087830

Of course the vast majority of Utd supporters aren’t racist nor are the vast majority of Chelsea or indeed other clubs supporters but the guilt by association thing is just ignorant
I don’t think anyone suggests racism doesn’t exist elsewhere. That’s why the kick it out campaign exists. As I say though, part of the Chelsea fanbase are historically known for it with the Headhunters having direct links to extreme right wing groups such as Combat 18 and the National Front. Much of this was exposed nationally by the MacIntyre Investigative documentary in the late 90s.

The more recent issues, including the clubs defence of JT, haven’t really helped shake the tag.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea

Havertz is a good player, stop making me laugh.
He isn't, offers nothing.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Havertz is a good player, stop making me laugh.
He isn't, offers nothing.
I wouldn't go as far as saying he offers nothing but yeah he's not been good either. He arrived a very highly rated youngster with big potential but he just hasn't improved at all and if anything I'd say he's regressed from the level he showed around age 19-20.

Some of the blame will probably fall on to the club as well but Havertz has played under three different managers at Chelsea and so far he's failed to show any improvement under any of them so there comes a time where the player himself needs to take most of the responsibility for his own performances.

After this season Havertz will have just two years left on his contract so unless he starts showing something better soon I'd definitely look to sell him next year.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't go as far as saying he offers nothing but yeah he's not been good either. He arrived a very highly rated youngster with big potential but he just hasn't improved at all and if anything I'd say he's regressed from the level he showed around age 19-20.

Some of the blame will probably fall on to the club as well but Havertz has played under three different managers at Chelsea and so far he's failed to show any improvement under any of them so there comes a time where the player himself needs to take most of the responsibility for his own performances.

After this season Havertz will have just two years left on his contract so unless he starts showing something better soon I'd definitely look to sell him next year.
What does he offer us? he doesn't create, just passes to the closest player to him. Cant dribble, weak, loses the ball often. Dives alot, shooting is bad, doesn't score many.
In the Prem he mainly only scores VS the weaker teams in the league.

Maybe if he performed better we wouldn't be sacking managers and he could try and develop under the same manager.

We should sell him in the summer, dont offer him a new deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.