Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a gross overpay whichever way we look at it but we’re getting an exciting talent.
Honestly, it’s not. If it wasn’t for trying to keep him from walking around with the “world record fee” tag this deal would have been done two weeks ago.

If you want a top young defensive talent next year …. Or any top, top rated talent… you will be in the hundred million plus range. Inflation is about to grip tighter, especially in Europe.

We are trying to spend 60m on Gordon… around 80m for a 6’3” fast, athletic defender with world class upside, proven Prem performance, and the ball carrying and passing of a quality midfielder? It could prove to be cheap.

I just hope Chalobah stays, loans only, or has a reasonable buyback. I see Colwill, Chalobah, Fofana as a long term elite line. And if Silva keeps having muscle issues we will need him now, not later.

And I don’t know if he’d want the job, but I’d pay Silvas wages for the next few seasons just to have hi. Coaching o the practice pitch and I the locker rooms. If there’s anyone that can keep this from affecting Fofanas head, it’s Silva.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Which record?

It won't be a league record or even a club record.
Rumours are £80m+ so record fee for a CB.

It's semantics anyway, any fee even close to that is crazy. He's just come off a bad injury, barely played last season.

We should be getting the best CB in the world for such a fee, sure he's got potential, which may or may not be realised.

We should have waited for a DOF and planned deals out. We're making all the same mistakes Utd owners have. Ironic writing on here.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I might be wrong but I thought that Mount & James if my memory serves me right benefited from Lampard using them when you guys had the transfer ban. That helped establish them firmly in the first team, and obviously they've continue to flourish under Tuchel.

You just wonder if you didn't have that transfer ban then and could have spent another summer signing players, if they would have been afforded the same opportunity?

For instance, this summer the same scenario you would have played Chalobah & Colwill. Instead, you go out and sign Koulibaly & Fofana and push them both out on loan its looking like. I also think Broja, CHO and Gallagher will move on, if not this summer probably next.
For sure Mount and James got the chances because of the transfer ban. There’s no disputing that but they’ve a still had prove themselves and Tuchel still had to show belief in them when he came in with a brief to finish top 4 with the team sitting in 9th. You can’t gloss the part where they were still given an opportunity again and again.

Chalobah got his chance last season. He showed himself to be a decent squad level player but not a starter for Chelsea. The fact that he might not want that (role player)for his career is not in Chelsea’s hands. He could easily command a starting spot at a good club at a good level, but Chelsea can’t be accused of not trying with him. Colwill is a teenager and is just sent on loan. Not really sure what your point is there.

We’ll see with Gallagher and Broja. I don’t share your negative/pessimistic view of these situations, even if I can agree that Chelsea could have handled some of these talents better. Handling Guehi wrongly does not mean Chelsea haven’t done right by several other academy talents.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

They seem to have done everything they can to keep it under Maguires record but yeah, the odd few million either way doesn't really matter, it's a feckload.
Super important they can’t tag “most expensive defender ever” every time they announce him.

It’s dumb really because 80 back when Maguire was bought would be like … 120 now?

TheReligion

Abusive
Rumours are £80m+ so record fee for a CB.

It's semantics anyway, any fee even close to that is crazy. He's just come off a bad injury, barely played last season.

We should be getting the best CB in the world for such a fee, sure he's got potential, which may or may not be realised.

We should have waited for a DOF and planned deals out. We're making all the same mistakes Utd owners have. Ironic writing on here.
Yeah we’ve seen it before. It does feel very similar to be honest.

Astonishing fee for a player who isn’t even a full international and has played one full season in the PL. Very similar to Cucerella.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Astonishing fee for a player who isn’t even a full international and has played one full season in the PL. Very similar to Cucerella.
He will be in France squad hereafter. :)

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
That statement is not true. More than 20 years ago there was a vote of the professional teams in Spain, there they had to decide whether to sell the rights jointly or individually. And the vote was won by the option to be sold individually. So it is not true that Barcelona and Real Madrid have caused that.

And in the penultimate sale of television rights, it was decided to raise the income of all the teams except Barcelona and Real Madrid so that the difference would be smaller.
It IS true. Damage done over decades is very hard to simply fix over night. The mechanisms of how you plundered a league seems a moot point. And even at the “adjusted” rate after the Royal Decree, Barca and Madrid still took home 30% of the entire leagues TV revenue alone.

They are the primaries pushing the Superleague because THEY don’t believe La Liga can survive in a way that allows them to stay relevant. They look at that league as shackles holding them back.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
From what I am seeing posted, the add ons for Fofana that would take this up to record levels are for ius winning the CL or PL again. If that’s the case, so be it!

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

The whole entire market is fecked. Let’s not pretend spending 80 on Antony, 60 on Isak or anything up to 100 for Nunez are good deals. It’s just where transfers are right now. I’m waiting for a market crash at some point. It will come.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
You can hardly knock a twenty year old for not having a ton of caps at CB for France of all teams.

That would be like saying someone’s trash for not getting a ton of starts at RW for Argentina….

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Honestly, it’s not. If it wasn’t for trying to keep him from walking around with the “world record fee” tag this deal would have been done two weeks ago.

If you want a top young defensive talent next year …. Or any top, top rated talent… you will be in the hundred million plus range. Inflation is about to grip tighter, especially in Europe.

We are trying to spend 60m on Gordon… around 80m for a 6’3” fast, athletic defender with world class upside, proven Prem performance, and the ball carrying and passing of a quality midfielder? It could prove to be cheap.

I just hope Chalobah stays, loans only, or has a reasonable buyback. I see Colwill, Chalobah, Fofana as a long term elite line. And if Silva keeps having muscle issues we will need him now, not later.

And I don’t know if he’d want the job, but I’d pay Silvas wages for the next few seasons just to have hi. Coaching o the practice pitch and I the locker rooms. If there’s anyone that can keep this from affecting Fofanas head, it’s Silva.
I don't think Fofanas height is accurate on certain websites. I highly doubt he's 6 ft 3. He's not known to be aerial dominant. Saliba is 6 ft 4 and here's a pic of him next to Fofana.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think Fofanas height is accurate on certain websites. I highly doubt he's 6 ft 3. He's not known to be aerial dominant. Saliba is 6 ft 4 and here's a pic of him next to Fofana.

Fofana’s knees are bent and he is leaning forward whereas Saliba is completely upright in that pic.

This is a pic with him and Rudiger, both 6ft 3in

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

We’ll one of them is standing straight up with his back arched and the other is bending to hug a shorter player … at and upward camera angle, hardly forensic proof. I’ve seen him listed at 6’3”, 6’2 3/4”, etc. He is proper CB height and would not be a liability in a two man pairing the way Kounde would have is the more important point.

Saliba, and /or Fofana could have grown btw. Saliba has been listed at 6’4” since he was 17 or 18? Athletes are sensitive to the “still growing” label if they are already playing at top level.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Fofona for 80m is extremally high risk. We played Leicester City two weeks ago and Martinelli did him about 3 or 4 times. Every time Martinelli got the ball with Fofona in front of him the crowd were on their feet expecting Martinelli to mug him off.

Chelsea are spending 80m on a 40m player, and even at 40m its high risk. Madness

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Fofona for 80m is extremally high risk. We played Leicester City two weeks ago and Martinelli did him about 3 or 4 times. Every time Martinelli got the ball with Fofona in front of him the crowd were on their feet expecting Martinelli to mug him off.

Chelsea are spending 80m on a 40m player, and even at 40m its high risk. Madness
tbf, Fofana had a yellow very early in that game. It should and does change how aggressive you can play.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Such lack of consideration and decorum in here discussing if Fofana is 6'3 or 6"4. Poor Lisandro is crying...

Vapor trail

The whole entire market is fecked. Let’s not pretend spending 80 on Antony, 60 on Isak or anything up to 100 for Nunez are good deals. It’s just where transfers are right now. I’m waiting for a market crash at some point. It will come.
That's not going to happen it's not like there's a correction compared to capital markets. The transfer dealings have got worse incrementally overtime. The only hope for balance is for the domestic league's bodies / UEFA to put sanctions in place. It's not a good look that economically in a period of inflation, cost of living crisis etc that these ridiculous fee's are being established. You also cannot blame the buying clubs it's the greed of selling clubs that's the issue. Everton rejecting the 40 million bid for Gordon, Ajax rejecting 80 million. There needs to be strict legislative influences.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
tbf, Fofana had a yellow very early in that game. It should and does change how aggressive you can play.

Yeah I know, Martinelli did him on the touchline and Fofona held him back because Martinelli was in and got booked because of it

Martinelli v Fofana was a total mismatch that day

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It’s a gross overpay whichever way we look at it but we’re getting an exciting talent.
That's the only thing that matters. Transfer fee will be high, especially when you are buying from PL clubs. Clubs should be smart to go for players with small release clause or in last year of contract.

Anyways the thing that matters most is whether the player improves the team and seen as player with potential to reach high level.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We’ll one of them is standing straight up with his back arched and the other is bending to hug a shorter player … at and upward camera angle, hardly forensic proof. I’ve seen him listed at 6’3”, 6’2 3/4”, etc. He is proper CB height and would not be a liability in a two man pairing the way Kounde would have is the more important point.

Saliba, and /or Fofana could have grown btw. Saliba has been listed at 6’4” since he was 17 or 18? Athletes are sensitive to the “still growing” label if they are already playing at top level.
Is that him behind Tielemans in the pic? If so, he looks shorter then Johnny Evans who's often listed at 6'2.

Anyway, picking holes a bit. He's a good player, worth that outlay is arguable but the transfer market is feckin bonkers so I'm not sure how you even begin to judge that nowadays.

Im just hoping from a selfish point of view that having his good friend move to the same city will help convince Saliba further to sign a new contract. Every little helps! :D

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Van Dijk gets done regularly and he’s supposed to be in his prime. One game doesn’t write off a player.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Van Dijk gets done regularly and he’s supposed to be in his prime. One game doesn’t write off a player.
Does he ? He's still unbeaten at Anfield, and got passed by 8 times in 3 full seasons.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does he ? He's still unbeaten at Anfield, and got passed by 8 times in 3 full seasons.
Yes, in every game this season he’s been done or committed fouls that have led to penalties etc. my point is that just because a player has a bad game or two it doesn’t mean they’re suddenly bad or a risk or not worth it.

Fofana is worth 80m because of his talent and because of how inflated the market is currently. We can see in general how shit the economy is and how bad it’s going to get. That’s going to translate to football too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He got passed by much more than 8 times, that's a silly stat that lacks any context. Somehow whoscored managed to successfully hype the stat.

If the player doesn't attempt to tackle, then it will be considered as "didn't dribble past".

crazynaiman

Supports
Chelsea
The question is not about his pricetag. The question is about his abilites to play in our main 11. I really doubt. He played only 57 league games in 6 years: 37 games in EPL and 20 games in France. Come on guys, his maximum was 28 games in 2020/2021. He never even played a full season. He is not PL proven. You can find 10 right-footed healthy young central defenders in top-5 leagues for less than 30m pounds. I don't understand why everyone so hyped about Fofana. He wasn't even second choice for Chelsea this summer. This looks like a panic buy to me, as Kepa's transfer. Absolutely average defender and also unreliable.

Classical Mechanic

The question is not about his pricetag. The question is about his abilites to play in our main 11. I really doubt. He played only 57 league games in 6 years: 37 games in EPL and 20 games in France. Come on guys, his maximum was 28 games in 2020/2021. He never even played a full season. He is not PL proven. You can find 10 right-footed healthy young central defenders in top-5 leagues for less than 30m pounds. I don't understand why everyone so hyped about Fofana. He wasn't even second choice for Chelsea this summer. This looks like a panic buy to me, as Kepa's transfer. Absolutely average defender and also unreliable.
Looking at his appearance record and this is one of the craziest transfers of all time considering the price. You can draw comparison to Konate at Liverpool who is similarly delicate but he was half the price, his value a reflection of that terrible appearance record.

Then there’s the question of how good he actually is. It’s one hell of a gamble at that price.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
75 mil inc all addons. I wonder what we're actually paying upfront and what the addons are.

Bargain of the century.
Going by most reports it will be £70M basic fee plus the add-ons.

It's a hefty price for sure but I'm glad we've got this one over the line. I rate Fofana very highly and to me it didn't look like there were any better alternatives out there at this point in the window. Cheaper ones were definitely available but are they as good? Not sure. Best to just accept the fee will be an overpayment and simply get it done so we can move on with the actual football.

If you're taking a 21yo player and look at his appearance record in professional football going back 6 years since the player was 15 then of course it's going to look like he's not played much per year. :lol:

He had a freak injury last year that made him miss 41 games across all competitions but that one's very unlikely to result in any recurring problems. He came back in March and almost immediately looked the same player he was before his lengthy period on the sidelines.

As for him being the 'first choice target' or whatever for this summer, does it really matter? I've seen Fofana's name linked with the club since his days at Saint-Etienne and in his first Leicester season the rumors started getting more and more frequent. His leg break and subsequent contract renewal probably put the club off at first and I believe the initial plan was to see him stay at Leicester for another year and come back for him either in 2023 or 2024 but missing out on a couple of other targets made the club accelerate their plans. He's always been very highly rated at the club, here's just a few of the links from the last year:

https://www.footmercato.net/a5273481902776845942-chelsea-cible-wesley-fofana

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...r-defender-Wesley-Fofana-Antonio-Rudiger.html

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...nsfer-news-fofana-kounde-rudiger-b996094.html

Tarrou

yeah he was barely playing any league games in the two years before he signed his first professional contract

Robbie Boy

Chelsea's transfer business this summer has been a-bit mental. Hope they sign Gordon to top it off :drool:

TheLord

I don't know too much about the two or three kids they bought, but Fofana is a seriously good buy. In fact, this may end up being the best deal of the summer after Haaland. The guy has loads of potential.

If you take out Silva, Chelsea may also have the youngest first-team squad in the PL. That will set them up nicely after Tuchel is sacked sometime next year.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't know too much about the two or three kids they bought, but Fofana is a seriously good buy. In fact, this may end up being the best deal of the summer after Haaland. The guy has loads of potential.

If you take out Silva, Chelsea may also have the youngest first-team squad in the PL. That will set them up nicely after Tuchel is sacked sometime next year.
Silva is 38 next month
Koulibaly 31
Kante 31
Jorginho 30
Mendy 30

They have the oldest first XI

You need to fact check this shit

Status
Not open for further replies.